Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 2003

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Quote Originally Posted by meeedoooz View Post
    bomber you translate my second favorite manga and i respect you, but your comments have always been the same when it comes to Naruto so it's not about today.

anyway hating a series or loving it , i couldn't care less about that i just wanted to point out that you do say how much you hate naruto a lot in this thread
    Other than instances where I've said I don't care about the series, I think I've been pretty good about keeping how much I dislike it under control. Stating my apathy is different than stating my hatred. It's all good or whatever, since lately I only really find myself reading Gintama out of Jump anyway, and reading more of Shounen Sunday. Maybe this is just the wrong anthology for me.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

i am not a fan of toriko, but i guess the participating of readers is a great way to gain popularity. it feels like pokemon in this regard and is a must have to get famous enough to be mainstream. the thing that people loved about star wars wasn't that much the story, but more like the universe he created. they played with jedi toys and imagined to be a jedi knight. the same goes probably for toriko, in which you can be part of the world and it's creation. the other thing is the powerlvl. its exciting for kids to see these number. oh look goku has 343, but freezer has 1000 more than him, he must be so more powerful. oh look he is ridiculous strong, how many points does he have? whoa, over 100k? can't wait to see him fight with his full power. the last thing would be the repetitive powermove, like rasengan in naruto or bankai in bleach. kids love shouting these them selfs.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Having some naruto bashing is not so bad from time to time. It's always Bleach and Reborn which get the flames, that is kinda refreshing (and i feel less lonely)

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post

You have to differenciate between having active roles aka producer, support, help, character design and penning the script/plot on his/her own. Producing an anime of any manga isn't milking the franchise for all it''s worth. You could show some more restraint before it backfires heavily. Can you name some of the adapation where the participation of the mangaka didn't help at all, excluding the hellverse Bleach movie. XD
    I was really disapointed with Strong world. Everyone was making a huge hype of it because the mangaka was part of it and In the end I didn't find it filled the expectation. The plot was nothing extraordinary and on par with some others one piece movie. But well once again I'm probably the exception here.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    But well once again I'm probably the exception here.
    You are not alone, it's not as good as I would have liked it to be. Prefer six for it's deviation of art style.

Bomber D Rufi
    Nobody can change your taste. :P

Shouldn't we get back on topic?
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member brigid001's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Delighted Reborn is out of bottom 5, even if it did only jump a place lol. Been really enjoying this arc so it kinda hurts to see it ranking so low all the time. I also have no idea why naruto keeps ranking so highly. This arc overall has been quite poor and these last chapters... were just full of wtf moments. But of course I'll keep reading it until the end >.<.

Also really happy about nisekoi and haikyuu's rankigs. I enjoy both those series and even if nisekoi seems cliche the characters and their expressions just have me hooked. I thik komi is a really talented artist.
    Fave Manga:
    20th Century Boys, Alive:The Final Evolution, Bokurano, Hunter x Hunter, Kamisama no Iutoori, Liar Game, Reborn,
    Shingeki no Kyojin, Shinigamisama ni Saigo no Onegai wo, Zetman.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    You are not alone, it's not as good as I would have liked it to be. Prefer six for it's deviation of art style.

Bomber D Rufi
    Nobody can change your taste. :P

Shouldn't we get back on topic?
    Pretty much. :-P I don't think anyone can change anyone else's tastes really.

Having some naruto bashing is not so bad from time to time. It's always Bleach and Reborn which get the flames, that is kinda refreshing (and i feel less lonely)

I was really disapointed with Strong world. Everyone was making a huge hype of it because the mangaka was part of it and In the end I didn't find it filled the expectation. The plot was nothing extraordinary and on par with some others one piece movie. But well once again I'm probably the exception here.
    You're not alone K-dom, but honestly One piece movies are never very good plot wise, or even animation wise 75 percent of the time. I agree that movie six was well done, if not unique among the One piece movie cannon, but it still just felt like a longer and slightly more boring episode. Strong world had some nice animation, and I liked the character designs, but it wasn't really much in retrospect. (And I am a big fan of the One piece anime, so I'm not being biased. In fact, I can even say there are plenty of things wrong with even Gintama. And I assure you there are plenty of problems with it. Though the movies (One piece's). Do live up to just being fun, even if they are crappy. I never go into a movie adaption of a manga with 'expectations' /airquote. It's just easier to enjoy them that way.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator message by: naruto-niichan
    Bashing a series is never okay, doesn't matter where or when. Stating your opinion about a series and it's TOC rank is fine but please remember to be calm and friendly.

And if you want to discuss a movie/series in detail please do so in the specific thread, the posts are getting a bit too offtopic :/ I will let the posts stay for now but please stop it here.

10. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I never understood the terms "There are things wrong with it." The author writes what they intend to write. If you don't enjoy it, you say it's shallow or vapid or uninteresting or something, but that's your personal perception. Taste varies from person to person. Entertainment is a subjective thing.

Anyhow, uh... TOC isn't too interesting, really.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Kuroko Basket exceptional ranking, aren't you praising to much the effect of the animé. After all, it's only this week that the rank is high for an animé which started for several months now. Not so long ago, Kurako was in the bottom five of the TOC several time in a row. Also, Medaka Box has an animé since spring too and the rank are not that impressive.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Could have something to do how both series were accepted by the community, since Medaka Box is far worse off than Kuroko no Basket.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member HalcyonDigest's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The two series whose ranks I was interested in seeing (Koisome and Sensei) are unranked so I knew the ToC wasn't going to be that interesting for me. I am excited for the Golden Future Cup Oneshots it's always interesting to see which series could work well. Hopefully they get some attention from translators, last year it was a while until we got some of the translations and 2 of them were never translated.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Kuroko Basket exceptional ranking, aren't you praising to much the effect of the animé. Not so long ago, Kurako was in the bottom five of the TOC several time in a row.
    several months - 8 week rule? also the first episode didn't get kuroko right to the number one spot, but the anime lift it up from a constant bottom 5 dweller to a medium/high ranked series. the anime efect is quite obviously visible in the sales, which kicked even bleach out of the top10 for this half year.

naruto had 2 chapters this week, the normal and special one right? sounds like kishi didn't use his absent last time to play around.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been observing the Jump Rankings for a few months now, trying to get a handle on the rhyme or reason to the whole thing, and I think it's time for me openly accept that I have absolutely no understanding of the tastes of Weekly Shounen Jump's readership.

I mean, I look at these rankings and I see a grand total of 2 series that I think are even close to of where they deserve to be from my viewpoint (Nisekoi at 3rd and Bleach at 10th seem about right to me)

The one I understand the least is Gintama. Granted I'm a huge fan, and therefor filled to the brim with bias, but it seems to me like it's been so good so consistently for the least few months but the rankings haven't seemed to reflect that in the least.

Medaka Box's ranking is another mystery to me. I've never liked the series until very recently. In the past I couldn't imagine how it could have held on for so long but now it's finally doing things I'm actually somewhat impressed by and the ranking plunges. I just feel confused.

-----------------------------------------

Apparently my tastes are just extremely abnormal when compared to jump voters.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 18, 2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

18. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I've been observing the Jump Rankings for a few months now, trying to get a handle on the rhyme or reason to the whole thing, and I think it's time for me openly accept that I have absolutely no understanding of the tastes of Weekly Shounen Jump's readership.
    japanese love cheerfull and bright happy mangas. (yes there are others, but they expections from the mainstream) amercian/europeans like darker things.

for example (even if it isn't a manga/anime)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess us: 3.41 --- eur: 1.89 --- jap: 0.60 <- dark
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker us: 2.60 --- eur: 0.99 --- jap: 0.89 <- bright

the same goes for other category like humor or style and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Medaka Box's ranking is another mystery to me. I've never liked the series until very recently. In the past I couldn't imagine how it could have held on for so long but now it's finally doing things I'm actually somewhat impressed by and the ranking plunges. I just feel confused.
    i'm actually quite unimpressed by the newest foes. it may be because i'm not japanese and can't udnerstand the importance of kanji and meanings, but they seem to be all the same in regard of ability. i also think that adding females as "grooms" felt forced + the fact that he tries to push so hard for zenkichi besides the fact, that no one is interested in him, clearly visible in the toc.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As for Kuroko Basket exceptional ranking, aren't you praising to much the effect of the animé. After all, it's only this week that the rank is high for an animé which started for several months now. Not so long ago, Kurako was in the bottom five of the TOC several time in a row. Also, Medaka Box has an animé since spring too and the rank are not that impressive.
    There has been a noticeable increase in volume sales since the anime premiered. Last week the latest volume sold within 2000 copies of the new volume of Toriko, something I can not recall happening before. Medaka Box sales have also increased noticeably, first week sales are up by more than 60% since March, the last volume before the anime. Kuroko's first week sales have more than doubled in the same time. Both series have had new volumes released on the same day since March. Both series are represented in the links below:

February 27 - March 5
    April 2 - 8
    July 2 - 8

Increased tankobon sales should not necessarily correspond to improved rankings. There is no guarantee new fans, attracted by the anime, will bother buying copies of the magazine.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asgaroth View Post
    japanese love cheerfull and bright happy mangas. (yes there are others, but they expections from the mainstream) amercian/europeans like darker things.

for example (even if it isn't a manga/anime)
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess us: 3.41 --- eur: 1.89 --- jap: 0.60 <- dark
    The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker us: 2.60 --- eur: 0.99 --- jap: 0.89 <- bright

the same goes for other category like humor or style and so on...

i'm actually quite unimpressed by the newest foes. it may be because i'm not japanese and can't udnerstand the importance of kanji and meanings, but they seem to be all the same in regard of ability. i also think that adding females as "grooms" felt forced + the fact that he tries to push so hard for zenkichi besides the fact, that no one is interested in him, clearly visible in the toc.
    Could you please stop speaking about things of which you have no fucking clue? Full Metal Alchemist was one of the most popular recent manga in Japan, and it was very dark. Shingeki no Kyojin is a dark, violent manga that outsells Bleach. Gantz is popular. Berserk is popular. Claymore is popular. Billy Bat sells well. All dark manga, all mainstream. Don't stereotype Japanese taste based on your ignorance of manga. Please, with all do respect: get the fuck out, you don't know what the fuck your talking about

What is and is not popular in Japan should not be a mystery. Weekly sales charts are posted to this subforum every week.

Obviously you know next to nothing about American comics. Only the superhero shit that gets made into movies is popular. Dark comics are niche market, at best, as is anything not produced by Marvel or DC. Again: please shut the fuck up about shit you do not know. Don't bother the rest of us with your ignorant ramblings.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 18, 2012 at 04:27 PM.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
Thread Closed
Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 33 73 81 82 83 84 85 93 133 ... LastLast