Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

What a silly conversation. Bleach is not ending any time soon. Kubo claims this is the last arc, the editors will give him the time to finish it, even if TOC rankings are not what they once were. We all know that Bleach will be around for two or three more years.

Why even bother comparing a comedy manga to action Bleach and Gintama don't have fuck all in common.

Seeing One Piece so low makes me feel slightly nauseous. Punk Hazard is a great arc. Please don't sing the gospel of Gintama to me in response. I've been reading the damn thing since before some of you folks knew what mangas are. I even scanlated the damn thing, all be it briefly. Don't want to hear about it, don't tell me, I don't care
    Last edited by Kaiten; April 27, 2012 at 11:51 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by clydu94 View Post
    Nope. Ending a serie who is sure to doing well in terms of sales faster than it would have just because they count on new series which are not sure to be as good in sales as the previous manga is a pretty, sorry for the word, stupid decision. Like.. Really. It's a bad business move. And we all know WSJ is all about business 7

So Gintama is that good huh ?
    You misunderstood me there. What I meant was it is not ending but slowly laying the foundation to its end instead, hence the final arc. That is contrary to Kubo's wishing for it to last another 10 year. Also, I never said it ending anytime soon.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Why even bother comparing a comedy manga to action Bleach and Gintama don't have fuck all in common.
    If that's the case then why even look at the TOC and/or reader's survey? there are bunch of mangas that has nothing in common in JUMP. (Though Gintama and Bleach have a decent few things in common)
    Last edited by wintercry; April 28, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by wintercry View Post
    there are bunch of mangas that has nothing in common in JUMP.
    Do you expect that the commonality for Jump should be an action?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I based that remark on Kaiten's remark. Shouldn't you be asking him that, not me?

Or if you misquoted that for the remark "Though Gintama and Bleach have a decent few things in common", I'd answer "No", btw. And if it's commonality for the two instead for Jump, then action is a factor to consider.
    Last edited by wintercry; April 28, 2012 at 12:37 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member clydu94's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Diversity is the main force of Jump i would say

You people make me wanna read/watch that Gintama..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dunno why people are worried about One Piece not being in the top 3. Its not like it went past 5 or even 10 (which would cause a huge stir).

I don't agree that OP should be that low though. If anything it should have been low near the beginning of the Fisherman arc. God that was a boring arc till near the end.

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlink310 View Post
    I dunno why people are worried about One Piece not being in the top 3. Its not like it went past 5 or even 10 (which would cause a huge stir).

I don't agree that OP should be that low though. If anything it should have been low near the beginning of the Fisherman arc. God that was a boring arc till near the end.
    Exactaly, One Piece just decreased its ranking little bit, but it's not mean that One Piece is in trouble.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wintercry View Post
    If that's the case then why even look at the TOC and/or reader's survey? there are bunch of mangas that has nothing in common in JUMP. (Though Gintama and Bleach have a decent few things in common)
    Why would you assume that Bleach fans read Bleach, or that Bleach fans read Gintama. Some might, others might not. Isn't it presumptuous to assume that the success of one series has anything to do with the failing of another series? Can you show some sort of proof that Gintama placing first has any correlation to Bleach dropping? Or are we making assumptions based on one being low, the other being high.

I was not actually referring to the TOC though, which is why my post never mentioned the TOC. Prior to my post there was some discussion of how much better Gintama is than this manga, that manga, and Bleach. I was merely pointing out that comparing two manga that have virtually nothing in common is a bit silly. The appeal of each towards their respective fans is different enough that conversation between is somewhat pointless.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

I actually don't look at new TOC's anymore, I don't read very many Jump series. One Piece and Hunter x Hunter are the only series I consistently enjoy, I still read Naruto and Bleach though. I used to read Sket Dance and intend to catch up someday soon. Otherwise everything in Jump bores the hell out of me.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't really worry about One Piece but the thing is that you count it on the fingers of a hand the number of time it was that low in the TOC in the last 10 years so, to me, that is THE important thing of this TOC.
    One Piece was also not really well placed in the double cover page issue even if its real place is hard to figure, maybe japanese don't like Punk hazard that much which is weird, but it should change once the recent characters introduced are ranked.

And Jump has 2 really excellent comedies Gintama and Sket Dance (may add Beelzebub in the lot), everyone should read them

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Why would you assume that Bleach fans read Bleach, or that Bleach fans read Gintama. Some might, others might not. Isn't it presumptuous to assume that the success of one series has anything to do with the failing of another series? Can you show some sort of proof that Gintama placing first has any correlation to Bleach dropping? Or are we making assumptions based on one being low, the other being high.
    Don't read too much into things. You just thought of it yourself; actually, I didn't assume any of that and that wasn't my basis. Though, whether you read both or not, TOC evidence clearly shows who's more interesting atm.
    Last edited by wintercry; April 28, 2012 at 09:51 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member crimsonlink310's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-dom View Post
    We don't really worry about One Piece but the thing is that you count it on the fingers of a hand the number of time it was that low in the TOC in the last 10 years so, to me, that is THE important thing of this TOC.
    One Piece was also not really well placed in the double cover page issue even if its real place is hard to figure, maybe japanese don't like Punk hazard that much which is weird, but it should change once the recent characters introduced are ranked.

And Jump has 2 really excellent comedies Gintama and Sket Dance (may add Beelzebub in the lot), everyone should read them
    OP is doing great but in the last 10 years? I doubt that One Piece stayed in the top 3 consistently when it was just in the Alabasta arc. Then again it is Japan and they loved OP as soon as it came out.

Also I just realized that the Bleach rankings 9 weeks back was the chapter before or after the new arc since the new arc was a color page and isn't ranked.
    Last edited by crimsonlink310; April 28, 2012 at 02:38 AM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, there ARE records going all the way back if someone wants to look at it.
    Like I said, there was that one time a couple years ago when One Piece was ranked low for getting the manuscript in late.
    Between these two sites, they have all of them up to earlier this year.
    http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~starman/index.htm
    http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/

But it's as everyone said, it really doesn't matter. And it's not likely One Piece is going into decline or anything. I think it's more just people really liked the Gintama and Toriko chapters and such that week.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

From Asuou Shuuichi's twitter, the cover for Kusuo Saiki 0

http://twitpic.com/9dy281

He also announces how it's going to be serialised on 14th May, but that's already known here...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Zeromcd's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Jump Issue #23 TOC *updated*
    Koisome Momiji (Cover, Lead Colour, New Series, 54 pg.)
    Gintama
    Toriko
    Kuroko no Basket (Center Colour)
    Naruto
    One Piece
    Nisekoi
    Hq!!
    Magico (Center Colour)
    Sket Dance
    Beelzebub
    Kurogane (Center Colour)
    Inumaru Dashi
    Pajama na Kanojo
    Bleach
    Kochikame
    Reborn!
    Medaka Box
    Nurarihyon no Mago
    Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakky (Fin)

Jump Issue #24 Information
    Lead CP: PSI Kusuo Saiki (New Series)
    CP: Koisome Momiji, Medaka Box (3rd Year Anniversary), Reborn!
    Last edited by Zeromcd; April 28, 2012 at 05:49 AM.

20. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ooh. Pakky's DEAD dead.

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast