Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 589 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Haikyuu!! by FURUDATE Haruichi

It's actually like 11-12 chapters long at this point. We just don't have the rest of the scans.

Still, while you might disagree, you can often get a feel for something from the very beginning. There's been no overly positive vibe coming from Haikyu so far, in my opinion...

I would say that both DN and Bakuman seemed special before the end of the first volume. :P

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    There's been no overly positive vibe coming from Haikyu so far, in my opinion...
    I'm not sure; as compared to other Jump sport manga (Kuroko and Kurogane), Haikyuu did very well on the character development at the beginning. The first arc (?) is just basically focus on creating the bond between Hinata and Kageyama while doing the volleyball game.

The real problem for Haikyuu at this stage will be how the author successfully show the actual game scene. Haikyuu is sport manga after all, so if the author didn't make good on the game scene, then it will be a fatal for a sport manga.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

It's actually like 11-12 chapters long at this point. We just don't have the rest of the scans.

Still, while you might disagree, you can often get a feel for something from the very beginning. There's been no overly positive vibe coming from Haikyu so far, in my opinion...

I would say that both DN and Bakuman seemed special before the end of the first volume. :P
    I was referring to the number of chapters currently scanlated as that's I can read and I'm assuming that's the same for you.

I can understand the vibe thing you mention though my own personal vibe has lead me astray many times so I try to not to rely on it myself.

And as for Death Note and Bakuman, I'd say they only seemed special during the first volume because of their uniqueness compared to the other manga Jump has run. In the larger scale of manga, they didn't really begin to stand out until later in their serialization. And while I did enjoy both series, when they started they were still a little plain albeit with the unique to Jump thing.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    I was referring to the number of chapters currently scanlated as that's I can read and I'm assuming that's the same for you.

I can understand the vibe thing you mention though my own personal vibe has lead me astray many times so I try to not to rely on it myself.

And as for Death Note and Bakuman, I'd say they only seemed special during the first volume because of their uniqueness compared to the other manga Jump has run. In the larger scale of manga, they didn't really begin to stand out until later in their serialization. And while I did enjoy both series, when they started they were still a little plain albeit with the unique to Jump thing.
    Yeah, I rarely read the raws, and I haven't bothered to look for them for Haikyu.

My vibe has actually worked out well for me, for the most part, but I will agree that we haven't seen that much of Haikyu yet, so I could be prejudging.

For Death Note, while they may not have truly stood out until later in their serializations, they instantly presented something unique to look at, in Jump terms, so people could see it something drawing them in.

Haikyu's not overly sporty, but I don't have a problem with that. The art that others have complained about/questioned doesn't bother me either. There's just something off putting. Maybe it's that I don't like this whole Kageyama was a jackass premise and Hinata's trying to break him out of it. It could be the start of a good friendship, but...
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; May 03, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    I'm not sure; as compared to other Jump sport manga (Kuroko and Kurogane), Haikyuu did very well on the character development at the beginning. The first arc (?) is just basically focus on creating the bond between Hinata and Kageyama while doing the volleyball game.

The real problem for Haikyuu at this stage will be how the author successfully show the actual game scene. Haikyuu is sport manga after all, so if the author didn't make good on the game scene, then it will be a fatal for a sport manga.
    Exactly that's what is distincting Haikyuu from the other recent sports manga. The character development, the bond between Hinata and Kageyam were well told.

That problem is one thing, if the mangaka manages to give a character development to team mates but also to opponents, added with some decent drama and tension, then there won't happen anything fatal to Haikyuu! A sports manga is killed faster in its beginning than in its run afterwards
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapters 7 and 8 got us a lot more into the story, so it's an improvement.

http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/7
    http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/8

The Nakama Power line comes out though, which is disappointing...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

The Nakama Power line comes out though, which is disappointing...
    Why "disappointing"? What were you expecting?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Estranho View Post
    Why "disappointing"? What were you expecting?
    I was somehow expecting something less shouneny. If the Japanese loved the series so much, I was expecting something a little different, as Nakama Power is often present.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Great chapters,

This arc is definitely meant to stress out the growth and the change of attitude both Hinata and Kageyama have to make. I wouldn't be surprised if this game wouldn't be eventually about winning only. I would love it if Hinata and Kageyama lose but are allowed in the club. Eventually, they both shouldn't be happy and aim to become better as a team. Their play is fantastic at this moment.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

I was somehow expecting something less shouneny. If the Japanese loved the series so much, I was expecting something a little different, as Nakama Power is often present.
    Then you don't have to read WSJ, it's one of the three famous values which are part of wsj manga

I love it because there's a lot of narration/thoughts in it
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Koen View Post
    Great chapters,

This arc is definitely meant to stress out the growth and the change of attitude both Hinata and Kageyama have to make. I wouldn't be surprised if this game wouldn't be eventually about winning only. I would love it if Hinata and Kageyama lose but are allowed in the club. Eventually, they both shouldn't be happy and aim to become better as a team. Their play is fantastic at this moment.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Then you don't have to read WSJ, it's one of the three famous values which are part of wsj manga

I love it because there's a lot of narration/thoughts in it
    I was mainly arguing about how the page 4 sidebar goes, "Nakama Power." Just because I don't agree with it being part of everything doesn't make me wrong, nor should it make me stop reading shounen...Yes, Nakama Power is a big part of shounen, but approach it in a better manner than just throwing it in your face. Not every manga relies on Nakama power anyway.

Kageyama and Hinata have a good partnership going right now, but I would agree that it would be better if they lost. We'll see what happens, however.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well i think nakama here refers to team spirit which is quite important for a team sport and in the end the objective of this match.
    Maybe it would have been better to translate it than let it in japanese

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think that was a casualty of the translation.

http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/8/8

Great page IMO, Furudate has a really good sense of composition when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    Yeah, I think that was a casualty of the translation.

http://www.mangareader.net/haikyu/8/8

Great page IMO, Furudate has a really good sense of composition when it comes to this kind of stuff.
    Yes, I love those kind of pages too. I still love this one a lot

He manages to create nice panels by which it becomes less static.

Anyway, chapter 9 made the test game end. You can clearly feel that Tsukishima will have a character development too.
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 10 was entertaining. I'm worried that they're getting along together too easily and too quickly. The, "My practice opponent is one of the prefecture or nation's best 4" crap has been done so many times though, but that's not Furudate's fault. I don't like the propensity to do that in any sports series.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm worried that they're getting along together too easily and too quickly.
    What?! This series is in Shonen Jump; the pattern is to have a friendship made in 2, 3 chapter. We had 10, almost 2 volumes just for that. And you call that "quickly"? Oh man...

New Reply
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast