Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bakuman, colored.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Nickzerz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Bakuman, colored.

Hello all, obviously you can tell I'm new to forum but I wanted to start something up, ya know.
    So I went and grab'd a part of Bakuman in color'd it in. I want to do this with all Chapters but knowing it took around an hour for one page makes that a... ALOT harder, before I go on take a look(Warning, im a bit sketchy cuz I haven't used Photoshop in awhile)

Spoiler show

Chapter 1 Page 1.
    Spoiler show

Chapter 1 Page 2
    Spoiler show

So if anyone would like to help me out that has some photoshop skills and would like to take part just tell me, this is just a hobby though.

I always wanted to make manga, but cant draw so this will do for now

Also if this against rules or anything I will be fine with deleting the content, just want to get the word out.

P.S I'm doing a page a day so please come back.
    Last edited by Nickzerz; April 30, 2012 at 04:22 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bakuman, colored.

Quote Quote:
    that has some photoshop skills
    /raises hand

I'm a graphic designer...

Spoiler show

Quote Quote:
    would like to help me out
    ...but no thanks.

Good luck on this endeavour, though I have to ask, do you think manga looks better in colour? Personally I like it plain but I'm so used to it being in black and white by now.
    -

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting.I could contribute a page or two for now,though I can't promise it'll be more than that.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend coloring the buildings, even if they're white. Just color them like a very very white cream, so that they wouldn't get lost in the background and look uncolored. And to not ignore things like ties and ribbons on their uniform, just pay attention to detail. I do understand you're trying to get through quantity and not quality (which is why nothing is shaded, I imagine,) but at least color everything in, no?

And make the skin less... white. It just has to look colored, really. Things that don't look colored in enough just don't blend well.

Anyway, good luck! I'd love to read chapter 1 if you do it all.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Knifeshade Haha thanks anyways, and yes and no. Manga looks perfectly fine without color, some of the epic moment's threw the series I do this would look better, for-say
    Spoiler show
    So yea, beside's this is something I want to do to get better at drawing, I know it sounds dumb but just doing this makes learning a tiny bit easier .

@Googlez_kun That would be pretty cool if you could, just pm if you would like to do some.

@blade5468 Thanks that means alot, I really cant draw so this is like a fill up for that, I will get better some day though, and for the building's, I AM TERRIBLE at backgrounds, that why I requested some help. But thanks

Beside's all that the first page of chapter 1 was kinda eh, too greenish. But it was a huge pain in the a.
    Immasignature

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Colouring isn't hard per se, just extremely time consuming.

But yeah, I have to agree with Blade, if you're not going to fully colour in everything then it's not worth doing and just looks lazy-ish. You're better off concentrating on "impacting" coloured pages.

But with that said, I don't really understand how you can learn anything other than getting good at colouring (because that's kinda what you're just doing...). If you really want to hone your drawing skills, I suggest you pick up colouring Naruto since the line art gives you more leeway compared to say Bakuman because the latter is more detailed and the former not so much (it's like a colouring book in a way....).
    -

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Colouring isn't hard per se, just extremely time consuming.

But yeah, I have to agree with Blade, if you're not going to fully colour in everything then it's not worth doing and just looks lazy-ish. You're better off concentrating on "impacting" coloured pages.

But with that said, I don't really understand how you can learn anything other than getting good at colouring (because that's kinda what you're just doing...). If you really want to hone your drawing skills, I suggest you pick up colouring Naruto since the line art gives you more leeway compared to say Bakuman because the latter is more detailed and the former not so much (it's like a colouring book in a way....).
    Thank you, that picture just helped me out alot! I can see a better view at doing backgrounds now, thanks. and the main reason I wanted to do Bakuman is manly because it finished and I still want to have activity with it being my favorite manga.
    Immasignature

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Well if you're passionate, I recommend just sticking with flat colours. It's the quickest and easiest method and yields decent results because Obata's lines are so clean. You colour over the line in yours, and the colours are a bit washed out. As well as not being very accurate.

But this is next to impossible to do with only one person though, at any rate. 176 chapters is about 3382 pages.
    -

Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    176 chapters is about 3382 pages.
    why did you choose that exact number? I expected it to be 176*19 or 176*18, but its like 176*19.21
    did you actually bother averaging the page number?

but yeah, that's actually frightening, with one page per day it would take almost a decade. ffffah and in the ~50 days it'll take to color chapter 1 you could make a one shot or something, actually. With a lot of time to spare and improve it. oh well.

I also agree that if you want to learn to actually draw, coloring won't really help much. If you want to focus on learning (and understanding) other artists' work, you can just copy it, but coloring it in hardly tells you anything. If I was in your position I would work on the actual drawing, the sooner you start practicing the sooner you get better. I'm actually currently copying Bleach, (and I'll copy Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles after) in order to practice with the G-pen and understand /everything/ involved in the creation of a manga page, and then after I'm done I'll work on my own stuff. But if I was just coloring Bleach... I couldn't really understand it to the same extent, right?

But I'm sure coloring is fun and rewarding, so I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying you should consider where you're going with this, because if the primary goal IS to improve your drawing, you're going about it the wrong way.
    But if your goal is to improve your coloring, to have fun, to contribute to Bakuman, etc, then this is of course a good idea. Just think about your priorities, I guess.
    Last edited by blade5468; May 01, 2012 at 02:29 AM.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    why did you choose that exact number? I expected it to be 176*19 or 176*18, but its like 176*19.21
    Just a random calculation; 19 x 175 and then the loong first chapter added on top. But I was wrong, even chapters 2 and 3 had more than 19 pages apparently. And even then, still haven't calculated the stuff like special coloured pages already in some of the chapters.

Quote Quote:
    but yeah, that's actually frightening, with one page per day it would take almost a decade. ffffah and in the ~50 days it'll take to color chapter 1 you could make a one shot or something, actually. With a lot of time to spare and improve it. oh well.
    Well it's a good way to past the time before we ever see a new piece in the future, that's for sure. Hehe.
    -

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity alphabeta's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a cool idea, but the amount of work involved in just straight out unrealistic. If you really want to take this idea seriously than you need to gather at least a two-digit number of followers who would work on this project with you. Not to mention that even if you are so enthusiastic about it, that doesn't mean your co-workers will be. I'd be ready to color a page of two, but definetelly not be coloring 20 pages a day for 6 months straight.

So, all in all I think it's a great idea, but it's a little unrealistic.

I suggest you gather a team first and try coloring the first chapter whole, to try out your techniques and get a general idea how to much time and organizational resources everything will require.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Obata colored this. It's from a vomic in a tv show around year 2009.

Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post

I also agree that if you want to learn to actually draw, coloring won't really help much. If you want to focus on learning (and understanding) other artists' work, you can just copy it, but coloring it in hardly tells you anything. If I was in your position I would work on the actual drawing, the sooner you start practicing the sooner you get better. I'm actually currently copying Bleach, (and I'll copy Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles after) in order to practice with the G-pen and understand /everything/ involved in the creation of a manga page, and then after I'm done I'll work on my own stuff. But if I was just coloring Bleach... I couldn't really understand it to the same extent, right?

But I'm sure coloring is fun and rewarding, so I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I'm just saying you should consider where you're going with this, because if the primary goal IS to improve your drawing, you're going about it the wrong way.
    But if your goal is to improve your coloring, to have fun, to contribute to Bakuman, etc, then this is of course a good idea. Just think about your priorities, I guess.
    I have to disagree with you here.Well,not entirely,but a little.It all depends on what you color.Of course,coloring a Bleach panel won't do any good,but coloring a Naruto panel is already something entirely different.As simple as it may appear(especially in the later chapters),Kishimoto's art is almost flawless.The bodies are perfect anatomy-wise and so are the faces most of the time(they are obviously altered from time to time in order to stress and expression,but correct in general).So when coloring it,I learned a lot about anatomy.You basically get the opportunity to color a body realistically without having to draw a perfect one yourself.His simplistic style,which does not use many lines makes it even more simple.

However,in this case,even though Takeshi Obata is a fantastic artist,who could draw realistically without a doubt,he already has a particular manga style,which is rather hard to color,especially later on in the series(it gets less detailed and more expressive around volume 3/4).

Ultimately,if you want to improve your artistic abilities,I'd advise you to color something like Naruto.Not only will you learn to color something realistically and correctly,you'll also learn how to draw.At least that's the experience I made.

On another note,copying other manga styles is kinda dangerous,if you do it carelessly.Manga-ka usually take reality and warp it into their own style.So when someone comes trying to turn or incorporate this already warped style into his own style,he's bound to end up with something strange.Not trying to say that you'll make this mistake,but it's something I'm noticing everywhere.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    I have to disagree with you here.Well,not entirely,but a little.It all depends on what you color.Of course,coloring a Bleach panel won't do any good,but coloring a Naruto panel is already something entirely different.As simple as it may appear(especially in the later chapters),Kishimoto's art is almost flawless.The bodies are perfect anatomy-wise and so are the faces most of the time(they are obviously altered from time to time in order to stress and expression,but correct in general).So when coloring it,I learned a lot about anatomy.You basically get the opportunity to color a body realistically without having to draw a perfect one yourself.His simplistic style,which does not use many lines makes it even more simple.

However,in this case,even though Takeshi Obata is a fantastic artist,who could draw realistically without a doubt,he already has a particular manga style,which is rather hard to color,especially later on in the series(it gets less detailed and more expressive around volume 3/4).

Ultimately,if you want to improve your artistic abilities,I'd advise you to color something like Naruto.Not only will you learn to color something realistically and correctly,you'll also learn how to draw.At least that's the experience I made.

On another note,copying other manga styles is kinda dangerous,if you do it carelessly.Manga-ka usually take reality and warp it into their own style.So when someone comes trying to turn or incorporate this already warped style into his own style,he's bound to end up with something strange.Not trying to say that you'll make this mistake,but it's something I'm noticing everywhere.
    That's not necessarily untrue, but I truly believe that any merit that can be earned by coloring a picture in (aside from coloring skills, which I'm not interested in) is less than what you would learn by copying it yourself, or at least studying it. By coloring it you're saying the person learns by noticing what the artist does, but you can still very much do that just by observing without coloring, and furthermore I think by copying you have to do it to a much larger extent. I've thankfully reached the point where anatomy is not a problem I face often, so I'm not as worried about that anymore. Still, playing with Kishimoto's perfect body and treating Naruto like a coloring book seems like a time waster to me, if I'm not too keen on perfecting my coloring at least. If I was practicing coloring, coloring as much as possible to practice would of course be the answer.

Copying in that sense is of course dangerous so I'm trying to do it as little as possible, but before drawing things by myself I figured I have to make sure I'm capable of an authentic recreation of real manga, to see that there's no skills I'm missing. Even things like effect lines are friggin hard to perfect, so that's the main reason I'm doing it. Not even the characters, really.

My main point is this: can you honestly say that you would learn how to draw by coloring Kishimoto's pictures more than you would by attempting to draw them yourself?

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    That's not necessarily untrue, but I truly believe that any merit that can be earned by coloring a picture in (aside from coloring skills, which I'm not interested in) is less than what you would learn by copying it yourself, or at least studying it. By coloring it you're saying the person learns by noticing what the artist does, but you can still very much do that just by observing without coloring, and furthermore I think by copying you have to do it to a much larger extent. I've thankfully reached the point where anatomy is not a problem I face often, so I'm not as worried about that anymore. Still, playing with Kishimoto's perfect body and treating Naruto like a coloring book seems like a time waster to me, if I'm not too keen on perfecting my coloring at least. If I was practicing coloring, coloring as much as possible to practice would of course be the answer.

Copying in that sense is of course dangerous so I'm trying to do it as little as possible, but before drawing things by myself I figured I have to make sure I'm capable of an authentic recreation of real manga, to see that there's no skills I'm missing. Even things like effect lines are friggin hard to perfect, so that's the main reason I'm doing it. Not even the characters, really.

My main point is this: can you honestly say that you would learn how to draw by coloring Kishimoto's pictures more than you would by attempting to draw them yourself?
    I was merely trying to say that coloring is not always as useless as you made it out to be,so I obviously agree with your point about copying/drawing>coloring.
    Don't see it as a replacement.See it as an addition.

Btw.do you have a Deviantart page or something?

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast