Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: What happens to the KSA now?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • They rebuild. The Union shouldn't bother them too much considering what the 12th Elder did.

0 0%
  • They go underground. Their relationship with the Union is a lost cause.

6 100.00%
  • They dissolve. It's time to cut bait on that agency.

0 0%
  • Other(please post)

0 0%
New Reply

Thread: Noblesse Chapter 234 Review

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Noblesse Chapter 234 Review

I'd like to make sure everybody knows that the Noblesse Awards are going on. So go vote for your favorite things about the series you, hopefully, love.

(I really should have done the same for the nomination phase now that I think about it, oh well.)

Now onto the review!

Chapter Summary

It's a bit like watching a goldfish attack a shark. It's impressive... in a funny sort of way...

This week begins with a short flashback showing a memory in which Roctis warns Frankenstein if he ever brings harm to Raziel he won't forgive him; oh, the irony.

Back in the present, Raizel is held "hostage" by the 12th Elder while everyone looks on stunned that anybody, in the world would, do something so spectacularly suicidal; except the KSA agents who are still stuck in a state of oblivious outrage by the Elder's act of taking a hostage. Frankenstein however is seething with rage, both at Roctis and the Elder. All trace of his earlier humor is gone. The Elder takes all this as sign he did a smart thing and essentially begins mentally patting himself on the back.

About then Tao and Takeo groggily wake up and cannot believe their eyes. So many parts of Bat-creature trying to hold Raizel hostage seems insane that Tao asks M-21 if this is real. M-21 simply says "Yup".

The 12th Elder then proceeds to buy time for himself by doing a classic villainous monologue. With all the "I'll get you for, and everyone you know, for this." But when he gets to the part about how it's only reasonable to exterminate the KSA and it's agents considering what they've done to Raizel takes offense.

With the question "How could taking human lives possibles be reasonable?" he shakes the area with his power and calls up a blood field. The Elder finally understands how strong Raizel is and mistakenly assumes he's the Lord of Lukedonia; which brings him to the 100% correct realization that he is a dead man. Under the pretense of offering information about Roctis he delivers a close range blast(bit like a sucker punch) but it fails to effect Raizel in the least. Raizel informs him that he has forfeited his right to existence and kills him rather spectacularly.

The chapter ends with all of them standing around the crater in the roof of the building where the 12th Elder once stood as bits of the blood field fall like snow.

Chapter Review

An attack so powerful it has Yontsu and Sangeen looking like an actual couple, now that's impressive.

Substance

The 12th Elder is dead. Crombell and Yuri get what they wanted and it seems like the situation with the Union is set to get worse. With at least one traitorous noble in league with the Union we know that they have greater assets than just enhanced humans. Raizel maybe strong enough to hold everything they can throw at them at bay but for how much longer?

Which brings me to Raizel's use of Blood Field, the exact situation Frankenstein had hoped to avoid. The question may be asked "Why use that to kill the 12th Elder when he could have used something that used up less of his dwindling life force?", and I think the answer is a basic part of Raizel's worldview. The fact that Raizel is dying is something that does not bother him in the slightest due to this how much time he has left effect does not effect his actions. He dies when he dies and he will do what he believes is right until that very moment.

On another topic, the KSA's fate from here on is going to be interesting. Yontsu's order to evacuate headquarters my have saved much of the personnel but a Union Elder died on their turf along with his whole squad of bodyguards. The Union is not exactly going to thank them for that. Which leaves them with a few options; continue on as before and hope the Union is understanding about this, declare independence from the Union, dissolve the organization. All three of those options bring problems with them.

Presentation

The artwork varied a lot this week. I'm not a fan of the fish-eye effect, basically where everything curves giving the effect of visual distortion, and we got a lot of that this week. Character art was also more unstable that usual, great in one panel and slightly deformed in the next. Background art was much improved over previous weeks with everything being very easy to understand spatially, detail was fairly low but that's fine.

We also got a new artistic presentation for Blood Field. Focusing more on individual drops raining upward. I liked this very much, I think it made the technique seem far more expansive.

In terms of pacing I think it was good. Starting with Roctis' introduction allowed for some perspective on his betrayal, the rest was pretty classic "bad guy says bad things, good guy kills him". Fairly direct and to the point. It would be anti-climactic to anybody expecting the 12th Elder to put up much of a fight, but I don't think anybody was really expecting that.

Final Rating

A nice, though slightly short, conclusion to Noblesse's largest battle arc to-date. Union Elder dead, Raizel using his power once more, the KSA in shambles, and whoever owns that building they are standing on is going to be PISSED. It wasn't quite perfect but it was a great read.

I give it a 4 out of 5

My Prediction
    • More traitors than just Roctis are in league with the Union

My Previous Predictions(Current Record 15-16)

The 12th Elder will not leave Korea alive
    Correct, he has been reduced to man-sludge.

Raizel will be the one to actually kill the 12th Elder.
    Correct, Rai dropped the proverbial hammer on him...hard.

Spoiler: Ongoing show

Thread Question of the Week
    Are you satisfied with the 12th Elders demise?
    Last edited by Jammin; May 01, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

2. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noblesse Chapter 234 Review

Roctis looks Indeed awesome but his stare screams "Traitor" kilometers around Raizel's too trusting for his own good

Quote Quote:
    An attack so powerful it has Yontsu and Sangeen looking like an actual couple, now that's impressive.
    And here I've begun to believe that they're the kind of couple who don't lay a single finger on each others lol from any man's point of view that'd suck

Quote Quote:
    Thread Question of the Week
    The BloodField was just Lethal to see so I Pretty much am but I'm saddened that Raizel has to use his Power,In The End the elder was'nt as powerful as I thought he would be

Quote Quote:
    What happens to the KSA now?
    I don't have a clue!! It's up to the Korean government to decide I guess....I wonder how the Union will deal with this Unprecedented Blow
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe in Sangeen and Yontsu!

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    The 12th Elder is dead. Crombell and Yuri get what they wanted and it seems like the situation with the Union is set to get worse. With at least one traitorous noble in league with the Union we know that they have greater assets than just enhanced humans. Raizel maybe strong enough to hold everything they can throw at them at bay but for how much longer?
    Not long at all. With the current situation, given how there must be a few more traitors at the Union, I don't think Frank and Rai and friends are capable to wipe them out all by themselves. This is the time for the re-appearance of comrades from Lukedonia. It would be much interesting to see them all working together to return the peace to Korea. What I wonder is just how they will settle the knowledge about their existence should this truly happen; they couldn't have erased everyone's memories again, right? XD

Which brings me to Raizel's use of Blood Field, the exact situation Frankenstein had hoped to avoid. The question may be asked "Why use that to kill the 12th Elder when he could have used something that used up less of his dwindling life force?", and I think the answer is a basic part of Raizel's worldview. The fact that Raizel is dying is something that does not bother him in the slightest due to this how much time he has left effect does not effect his actions. He dies when he dies and he will do what he believes is right until that very moment.
    It showed how much Rai cares about human beings and their lives. He had stated before how he couldn't tolerate disrespect towards him, but on top of it most of his actions showed compassion and deep love towards human beings. I think it might be because of his 'work' as a Noblesse, he should watch over the nobles and humans as well, but this is just very special.

Kind of? He talked big, I wonder if he truly did anything at all. Other elders didn't seem to care about him too... In conclusion, it feels as if he is not an important character at all. XD

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    And here I've begun to believe that they're the kind of couple who don't lay a single finger on each others lol from any man's point of view that'd suck
    Perhaps the author heard our screams so that's why he added such scene, LOL~ Although to certain members it might not be very reassuring, I think it's a good sign that Sangeen cares about Yontsu. ^^

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

KSA and union's relationship is depend on yuri's report on this . but if KSA have choice they will choose 2 not have any relation with union because they director know they r just tool for union and nothing more

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suraj5898 View Post
    KSA and union's relationship is depend on yuri's report on this . but if KSA have choice they will choose 2 not have any relation with union because they director know they r just tool for union and nothing more
    Well I think the issue is going to be that a Union Elder vanished on Korean soil. Even if the KSA aren't implicated they are going to take some heat.

The Union people are going to have to wonder what exactly is in Korea that's strong enough to kill Cerberus and an Elder; and why they didn't know something like that was there. The people they are going to direct those questions toward have to be the KSA; or what's left of it.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

New Reply