Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Who wins?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cassandra

3 18.75%
  • Isley

9 56.25%
  • Draw

4 25.00%
New Reply

Thread: Cassandra vs Isley

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

Cassandra vs Isley

Isley is arguably the strongest of the original AOs whereas Cassandra is arguably the strongest of the new AOs. Luciela failed to eat Isley, can Cassandra do that or will Isley's power and skills prove too much for her?

- They'll not know about each other's abilities beforehand.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Claymore1's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cassandra vs Isley

Isley because he could make any weapon he would need to defeat Cassandra.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Yomaslayer 95's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

51-49 chance that isley wins this, with the extra 1% because of his arms, if not for those i think cassandra would have won...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member God Eye Galatea's Avatar
    Country
    Sunspear
    Post Thanks / Like

I used this for the AO ranking threat but it applies here too

Cassandra vs. Isley: 60% vs. 40%, As fast as Isley is, Cassandra's Dust Eating speed is pretty good, and her Dust Eating heads can extend to good long range, once
    she get the legs of Isley and down him, the battle is pretty much over.

Yes Isley can change his arms into different weapons against Cassandra, but Cassandra's Dust Eater offensiveness is fast limbs moving, once Isley is down he is as good as dead.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

i think isley would take this...cassandra never managed to completely dodge roxanne's blades (even if only a minor injury, you could always tell that she was struck after every volley), so I can't imagine her doing too well against his honing arrows

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to say this a draw because these two are a couple of my favorites.

Isley:
    Shape-shifting weapons that include an axe, a lance, a shield, homing arrows, claws, and the original broadsword
    Faster that Rigardo
    Has experience in being an abyssal one

Cassandra:
    Multiple, incredibly powerful and fast heads that can apparently regenerate quickly
    Pretty fast, could dodge a volley of Roxanne's spikes as well as he numerous whip arms
    Pretty cunning as seen when she finished off Roxanne

Hmm, I'd think Isley would have the advantage because of his weapons which would allow him the perfect weapon to chop off Cassandra's heads. However, Cassandra still uses her Dust Eater technique which I think could actually catch Isley off guard due to the speed and the number of heads. If Cassandra catches an arm, Isley could be done for as a head or two would be all she'd lose in that instance, although he has been shown to still be powerful with a good portion of his body missing. The arrows, I think could pin down Cassandra, though I don't know how fast they move since Luciela didn't bother dodging. But then again, all he'd need to hit is her (what I'm assuming to be) real body. I think I will say...a tie, with probably Isley closest to winning. They would probably tear up each other to the point where it would end badly for them both.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Project Spirit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I kind of missed this discussion and am now attempting to revive it.

The more I reread chapters with Cassandra, the more I like her technique. Believe me, I was a huge Isley fan, and still like him, but I believe he would lose this.

-Dust Eater is both an Offensive and Defensive technique at once. It's not just some element of surprise attack due to a unorthodox movement. It's an evasion and strike before the opponent has time to fully recover from their last move. It's like a counter.

-This technique can take a number 4 level in terms of physical ability and skill, and make them number 1. In her Awakened form, she is basically the embodiment of Dust Eater. So it's taking an Abyssal level awakened being, and giving them a technique that propels their combat skill.

-Isley was an all-rounder in terms of fighting. He has range, and close combat techniques. He states in the fight vs Priscilla that normally he would wait for the opponent to strike first. This shows he's conservative, and strategic. However, an all-rounder does not necessarily have the advantage against Cassandra. Her ability is pretty all-round in more ways than one. But, it is very specialized at the same time. If he wants to wait around to see the first move, then he has probably lost due to the unpredictability of it. He would be setting himself up for an uphill battle after letting her set the pace. If he were to go on the offensive first, then he is setting himself up for a fatal counter. From what we've seen, he has no real keep away moves like Roxanne had.

-Isley's attacks are all too linear. His arrows aren't very big, and Cassandra has shown the ability to take piercings rather well.

-Looking at the battle between Roxanne and Cass, Rox seems to be Speed and offense. Cass on the other hand, is speed and Defense IMO. Cassie's style is designed to counter an arsenal of offensive moves. Besides a shield, Isley doesn't show much defensive ability. And who knows if that shield couldn't be shredded by the Dust Eater.

____
    Anyway, the only reason I found this thread was because I was looking for more info and discussions on the Dust Eater technique in general. I think a lot of descriptions are acting as though it is some random move that only wins because of the speed and surprise. It has been used to solo Awakened Beings, and even take out an Abyssal one with Scattering Projectiles(something that looked DESIGNED to kill the Dust Eater). Cassandra herself must have great reading, and a mind for countering.

Maybe I'm falling into a phase, and overestimating her and her technique. Idk, but I do think there is more to her than just some sub-par.average Abyssal.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Project Spirit View Post
    Anyway, the only reason I found this thread was because I was looking for more info and discussions on the Dust Eater technique in general. I think a lot of descriptions are acting as though it is some random move that only wins because of the speed and surprise. It has been used to solo Awakened Beings, and even take out an Abyssal one with Scattering Projectiles(something that looked DESIGNED to kill the Dust Eater). Cassandra herself must have great reading, and a mind for countering.

Maybe I'm falling into a phase, and overestimating her and her technique. Idk, but I do think there is more to her than just some sub-par.average Abyssal.
    I don't think you are overestimating her. Her power is the genuine article and she is indeed more than an average AO(who aren't average to begin with). To be honest, if she had replaced Luciela in before the 7-years, I'm sure both Isley and Riful wouldn't have readily gone after her. But, I'm still in the camp that believes her to be as strong as those two with the other three trailing behind.

On the Dust Eater, in a way it does win because of speed and surprise. But that is a good thing. It is unpredictable and preys on the weakness of not being able to follow what is quickly darting at a low height. Then she systematically disables the opponent for a simple finish. That is one of the most efficient techniques I've ever seen in a manga.

However in this fight, she is going against someone who can potentially find the perfect weapon to counter her, so she will have a hard time.

Quote Quote:
    Isley was an all-rounder in terms of fighting. He has range, and close combat techniques. He states in the fight vs Priscilla that normally he would wait for the opponent to strike first. This shows he's conservative, and strategic. However, an all-rounder does not necessarily have the advantage against Cassandra. Her ability is pretty all-round in more ways than one. But, it is very specialized at the same time. If he wants to wait around to see the first move, then he has probably lost due to the unpredictability of it. He would be setting himself up for an uphill battle after letting her set the pace. If he were to go on the offensive first, then he is setting himself up for a fatal counter. From what we've seen, he has no real keep away moves like Roxanne had.
    I don't believe he would have set himself up for an uphill battle. Unlike Roxanne who seemed to have stood in the same spot attacking haphazardly around her, Isley isn't going to sit by and let Cassy flutter about the battlefield. He will pursue her. I'm sure he is close to her speed if he is faster than Rigardo. Isley's form isn't built for keep away, it's built for adapting, which is what he will do.

Quote Quote:
    Isley's attacks are all too linear. His arrows aren't very big, and Cassandra has shown the ability to take piercings rather well.
    Isley adapts to the opponent, so I don't see the linear attacks. His arrows, while not big, are incredible fast and are capable of homing in on the opponent, unlike Roxanne's projectiles which were shot haphazardly everywhere. There is also the fact that she couldn't regenerate them quick enough to counter. Isley will most likely attempt to aim for the heads or her real body. I don't think they will kill her instantly, but they will cause damage to her. If she can't close the gap between them though, Isley will hold the advantage.

Quote Quote:
    Looking at the battle between Roxanne and Cass, Rox seems to be Speed and offense. Cass on the other hand, is speed and Defense IMO. Cassie's style is designed to counter an arsenal of offensive moves. Besides a shield, Isley doesn't show much defensive ability. And who knows if that shield couldn't be shredded by the Dust Eater.
    Isley will most likely not use his shield. He will probably still to dodging as one shield isn't going to do much against an opponent like this. He will probably try to keep his distance and when push comes to shove, he will use his Claymore sword to decapitate a bunch of heads. However, this is risky as the closer her is to Cassandra, the more likely he will lose a limb. Again, I believe this will end with both fighters near death as they both have no real advantage over the other.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Project Spirit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

>On the Dust Eater, in a way it does win because of speed and surprise

See, I understand there is a surprise factor. But even for an opponent that has seen it, there is some thing more. I look at it like Sabaki from Japanese martial arts, or bobbing and weaving from boxing. The Dust Eater is a defensive movement that leaves the opponent wide open for a counter. It exploits offense. It's still unpredictable thanks to the awkward angles, but that alone cannot make it so strong. The simultaneous offense and defense is what makes it a legit technique.

>I don't believe he would have set himself up for an uphill battle. Unlike Roxanne who seemed to have stood in the same spot attacking haphazardly around her, Isley isn't going to sit by and let Cassy flutter about the battlefield.

If Isley takes the risk of rushing in, he is risking getting an arm obliterated like what happened in his fight with Priscilla. Either that, or his legs. Removing his legs was the way the Abyssal Feeder figured out how to kill him, and that is also a main aspect of the Dust Eater technique. You said you don't see his linearity since he adapts to the opponent. Well, if he rushes in, Cassandra is far more suited to flank him than he would be to her. His body isn't built for circular movement. Cassandra would have close range superiority. I don't think there is a perfect weapon for that type of fight in his arsenal, since a weapon's effectiveness would require him to hit her.

If Isley can home in on her, who's to say she can't dodge his arrows like she did the Shadow Chaser? That was a homing move from what I recall. Part of me still believes Roxanne's method was as effective as it gets, and made specifically for killing Cassandra. At first, her precise burst of darts only hit Cassandra because she was taken by surprise. Roxanne was forced to match Cassandra's unpredictability with her own, and made it hail spikes everywhere. If Cass knows the path of a move, she can evade it. When it's raining bullets, she is bound to get hit, but those are not precise enough.

One other thing I forgot to mention is Cassandra's awakened personality. She has "resolve." She is willing to take damage to come out on top, and goes for more of a Risk/Reward type of fight. Combined with her resilience, this makes her terrifying. Would Isley have enough time to assess the situation while being pressured?

In any case, I do believe you have good points. Cassandra is pretty clever, but between Isley's adaptive style and her, I'd give the mental victory to Isley. I'm not sure if he would develop a great strategy for fighting her though. He barely beat Luciella, yet there was nothing too special shown about her. His variety in weapons comes is a bonus for sure, but I'm not sure if weapons would work against someone with evasive superiority.
    Last edited by Project Spirit; August 02, 2012 at 09:22 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Crystal Black's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

See I just got caught up to the latest chapters. I think Cassandra could win as of right now but I will need to review Isley's feats thoroughly. No vote from me as of yet!
    Smiling Devil

New Reply