Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantz 365 Discussion/366 Prediction Thread

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TCG's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz 365 Discussion/366 Prediction Thread

I can only echo what other's have said, really. I enjoyed the fight because firstly it's Nishi and Kei, and secondly, they're fighting in Hard Suits of all things. I'm not surprised that Kei eventually came out on top, given what'd happened with Tae and the fact that at this stage he's probably stronger than Nishi, but the latter getting a few hits on him was pleasing nonetheless.

I don't dislike Tae, because I view people like herself, Kato, Old Man and even Sei as being those who influenced Kei the most and made him the person he is today, but... I do think she's reduced the quality of Phase 3 somewhat. There's been some epic moments, and it's been a good arc overall, but it's still inferior to Phase 1 and 2 by quite a margin.

Seeing how Nishi can no longer pilot his mech and is stranded beside the tower, I think we'll switch back to the Neo Tokyo team. Which is good for more Kato, Anzu, etc.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Gantzter127's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cassaruby View Post
    I'm just glad Reika is dead & hopefully Kaze is next.\
    Just a lil curious; why enjoy seeing the death of Reika and hoping for Kaze's death? Reika was a great Gantzer and Kaze developed into a sweet man. He has stopped looking at his life being about "whose stronger than who". They are both great Gantzers: I take no offense to your words what so ever, Just curious.

Yokota Takuma, Tsutomu Nihei and Asano Inio. <3

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TCG View Post
    I can only echo what other's have said, really. I enjoyed the fight because firstly it's Nishi and Kei, and secondly, they're fighting in Hard Suits of all things. I'm not surprised that Kei eventually came out on top, given what'd happened with Tae and the fact that at this stage he's probably stronger than Nishi, but the latter getting a few hits on him was pleasing nonetheless.
    Well... generally I'd say yeah, Kei is definitely likely to win. I mean he's got a great track record when it comes to these things... but reading through that chapter it looked like Nishi had the upper hand the whole time. I think he even charged up his last shot just before Kei did. Would have been more exciting if he had managed to disable Kei's mech instead of the other way round.

Then again maybe it's just me.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    Well... generally I'd say yeah, Kei is definitely likely to win. I mean he's got a great track record when it comes to these things... but reading through that chapter it looked like Nishi had the upper hand the whole time. I think he even charged up his last shot just before Kei did. Would have been more exciting if he had managed to disable Kei's mech instead of the other way round.

Then again maybe it's just me.
    It would have. In fact, I still stick to the notion that Oku only introduced the second Kei so that one of them could be killed off permanently. I don't buy the fact that it was purely to develop the sub-plot with Reika that had been initiated during the Jurassic mission. So if this isn't Kei's designated time or place to die, I think he'll always be triumphant in these dangerous situations due to plot. It sounds cheesy, but it's how most narrative works. You could argue that Kei surviving the Chibi Alien mission or the missions without his suit were also because of this. I like to think that Kei's natural ability played a part, but plot also has a hand in this.

With this in mind, I'm just thankful that Nishi wasn't made to look bad. Although short, the fight was intense. And most importantly, it looked like it could have gone any which way when I first read it.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the thing is it didn't even accomplish that. The Kei/Reika subplot went nowhere. If anything it furthered the Kei/Tae plot. He was ready to give up on life without her a few chapters ago. I wonder if we'll see a Kei vs. Kei fight in future.

Overall though this chapter would have been fine it wasn't for Tae. I'm not sure what was going through his head when he wrote this.

Kind of disappointed that Nishi really isn't getting much time to shine. He constantly fails everything he sets his mind to and it would be nice to see him succeed for once. It's getting harder and harder to take him seriously and he deserves to win a little more based on his tactics alone. We've already had a Kei vs. Izumi sort of thing going on and we see that Kei can come out on top in a straight fight no matter what. Fair enough, but then the obvious counter should be to play a little dirty. You would expect Nishi to be able to beat him in this way and it's disappointing. On the other hand we do have HS for that, wherever the hell he is.

One thing I would love to see is Nishi thrown into shitty situations again (like this one), but where he actually manages to fight his way out instead of getting his ass kicked. He's basically become an underdog now.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You could argue it showed Reika's true colours, if you're inclined to think that way, which I do after the incident following the Italian mission having lost an enormous amount of respect for her.

The sympathetic scenes with the Giants this chapter bugged me a little. If Oku insists on pursuing the idea of co-existence, which I hope he doesn't, but feel he might, then I think the vast majority of Phase 3 will play against him. In other words, a few scenes where the Giants demonstrate human qualities can't balance the horrors which they've already inflicted on humanity. I think Oku has done too well a job of portraying these guys as villains. Even the Buddha Alien which slew most of the team, the rogue Chibi Alien, the Oni Boss or anything from Osaka can't compete with how I feel about these guys. Maybe it's because they're somewhat humanoid. Fra can't tip the scales, and neither do any of these sympathetic scenes. A few chapters ago we had civilians; people who aren't associated with their military in any way, watching the Neo Tokyo team die as a form of public entertainment. Now that their city is being ruined by mechas, I find myself enjoying every bit of it, agreeing more and more with Nishi in chapter #303, where he's simply waiting around with dual Z-guns for the invasion saying he's going to slaughter them all.

If it's any consolidation, I don't think this is the end of the road for Nishi. The Captain going down with his ship ideology just doesn't suit this guy. Playing dirty is his speciality, and I'd hate to have his schemes foiled by Kei's invincible aura. I'd love to see Kato's reaction to a Kei Vs. Kei fight.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tae escaping all these close death encounters just makes Izumi the strongest in the Gantz universe. He did the impossible.....KILLED TAE. This makes me miss him even more.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity warbandit66's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shion Izumi View Post
    Tae escaping all these close death encounters just makes Izumi the strongest in the Gantz universe. He did the impossible.....KILLED TAE. This makes me miss him even more.
    Let it go man, Izumi's gone and he's never coming back. He wasn't as awesome as Sakata so wasn't able to traverse the afterlife and deliver any messages.
    Jiraiya: His hair are the best

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

He killed Tae. That alone makes him way cooler than Sakata.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Gantzter 127
    They are boring characters. I never cared for either of them. I only enjoy it so more stuff can happen and I can see the characters I like.

Don't care for HS either.
    Last edited by cassaruby; June 08, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

"Love can conquer all", famous quote that I'm sure Oku intends to follow very precisely. Tae will not die, if he planned to do so, he would've already done it. Now there's no point in killing her or Kei1 anymore, so they will certainly both survive.

Same goes for the humans/aliens war. Love love love, that will probably be the ending moral of the whole thing. Since Tier 3, Gantz turned into a giant moral story, not very much is left from the original action packed and mind disturbing story.

Quote Originally Posted by TCG
    I think Oku has done too well a job of portraying these guys as villains.
    (...)
    A few chapters ago we had civilians; people who aren't associated with their military in any way, watching the Neo Tokyo team die as a form of public entertainment.
    I totally agree, Oku tried to do an even more grandiose horrible villain than ever before in Gantz, but now he doesn't know (or just can't possibly) backtrack to make them nicer. His plan is flawed.

And the civilians watching the horrible TV show entertainment was probably the biggest mistake of Oku. He meant to reinforce the horror impression from these Aliens, but now it totally foil any attempt to provoke empathy towards these Aliens, because even the civilians were totally wicked.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's ''HS'' that people are speaking of?

I prefer Sakata much more as a character. In fact, he's probably my favourite character after Yamasaki, but I can't deny the masterpiece that was Izumi Shion. From his introduction through to his final battle, he was one of the better handled characters of the series. I feel Nishi is the more interesting and enjoyable of the antagonists* than Izumi, but the latter had a solid story. Whereas Nishi, despite being one of the original members in Phase 1, has had most of his story in Phase 3.

*Anti-Hero suits Nishi better as a character archetype I suppose, but antagonist does apply to him as well, although you could argue it's Kei who antagonises Nishi on occasion.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kei = Nishi
    Katou = Izumi

Its too bad that all 4 were never on a mission together. Izumi/Katou sub story would have been interesting. I think there was only 1 panel where all 4 were on the same page. Sometime after Oni.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TCG View Post
    Who's ''HS'' that people are speaking of?
    Host Samurai. Was his the vampire's gantz nickname thing. I don't know what it means either.

edit: oops
    Last edited by Damura; June 08, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Hikawa. Shame he didn't stick around with Chiaki in Phase 3.

New Reply
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast