Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Personality (Psychological) Types - Jung's Theory

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Personality (Psychological) Types - Jung's Theory

I saw this being discussed in another forum but it died down (only 2-3 people are talking about it) and I think it's interesting to tackle this during HxH downtime.

So let's discuss the following character's "personality":

1) Gon
    2) Killua
    3) Kurapika
    4) Leorio
    5) Hisoka

We can use this site as a basis. I chose this site because it's simplified but if you know a better one for Jung's Theory of Psychological Types, let me know so we can add one more source for reference.

Links:
    - Extroverts / Introverts
    - Sensing / Intuitive
    - Thinking / Feeling
    - Perceiving / Judging

Rules:

1) Please provide instances where the characters displayed that trait and NOT just say he's that type and leave it at that.
    2) Of course, there will be disagreements and sometimes, people changed their mind / were convinced by another person so please state clearly every time you post here which characters fall in what category so I won't be confused when I tally the results.
    3) I will count everyone's last post as their final say. Please mind the 2nd rule.
    4) Every round will end after 48 hours OR there's no new reply/post within 12 hours - whichever comes first. when no one post anymore

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

This is our 1st round of discussion. Who are the extroverts and the introverts?
    Spoiler show

Results: (TBA)
    Last edited by shareme; June 13, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168866_1.gif

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Personality (Psychological) Types - Jung's Theory

Wow awesome topic. Okay so you want me to answer which type those 5 are. Okay here goes:

Gon - Extrovert: He is very open and talkative and is always ready for action. He is very aware of his surrounding and is not really concerned with himself but more with others.
    Killua - Introvert: He is a tough one but he leans more to introvert mostly due to his inability to connect easily with others and make friends. I would say he becomes an Extrovert over the course of the series though, but begins as Introvert. He is tough.
    Kurapika - Introvert: He is very self oriented and very concerned with his own goals and mission, not so much worried about other people and wants to work alone.
    Leorio - Extrovert: Pretty straight forward, he is a very outward person much like Gon and is very caring and talkative. Not much to say for him, he is definitely Extrovert.
    Hisoka - Introvert: This was another tough one but he is an introvert because he cares mostly about his own goals and 'toys' only wanting to please himself and satisfy his urges. He prefers to work alone and does not have many connections with others, other than that he wants to kill them. Only person who is like a friend is Illumi and even then he only seeks to satisfy his urge to kill Illumi. Very much an introvert.

This was a little tough as some characters have characteristics of both but some outweighed the others.
    Well there is my contribution. Great thread btw!
    Last edited by futurefrog; June 11, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

4. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Thanks, futurefrog. Hope more people will get interested discussing their personality types.

I was hoping to not contribute or post somewhere last but to make this round alive as per the rules, I have no choice but to post what I think

I think it's a given that Kurapika is an introvert while Leorio is an extrovert by virtue of them being quiet/contemplative and loud/brash respectively. However, I too am having difficulties pinpointing where Gon, Killua and Hisoka belong.

From what I understand, extroverts are those who prefer to be in the company of lots of people (even strangers) when doing any kind of activity; ie. work, study, exercise, relaxing. They want to be in the center of loud and full of hustle and bustle crowd most of the time. They feel restless when alone (and actively seek companions) or if it's too quiet (so they talk aloud and a lot).

Introverts, on the other hand, prefer to be alone OR in the company of very few close friends when they do everyday stuff. That does NOT mean they cannot function well in a crowd or with strangers (that's for extreme introverts). They don't feel restless when alone or if it's too quiet as they tend to contemplate at that times.

Because of these preference, we get the "list" of things extroverts and introverts will likely do in situations. I guess in order for us to tell where they belong is to think what the characters would prefer to do on their downtimes.

Gon (introvert)

Being a cheerful child and that readers are not prone to his thoughts, it's easy to say that he's an extrovert... but I disgress. Even as a (younger) child, Gon likes to be alone traipsing in the forest discovering new paths (and the reason why he almost got killed by a foxbear) than hanging out on the town's port surrounded by people or playing with the other (girl) kid his age.

One other instance Gon displayed he's an introvert is the place he chose to bring his dates to (Killua and Palm). He has a total of two dates (that we know) that happened in the manga and both of them occurred in a quiet (forest) place w/ no other people in sight except themselves.

(NOTE: When I said date, I meant that when two people hang out to spend time together. Going on dates does NOT automatically mean someone is romantically interested in another person. I, for instance, like to go on a date with my younger sister at least twice a month despite us living together with the rest of the family.)

Gon despite having "friends" does NOT actively seek them. They're the ones who integrate themselves to him and become his "friends". Think about it, when did Gon walk up to a stranger and introduce himself for no other purpose than he genuinely wanted to be in that person's company/interested in him?

Killua (extrovert)

Killua as a (younger) child had expressed wanting to have "friends" and actively seek to have them despite his family's opposition. He is also the one who introduce himself to Gon (and friends). He also likes to bring Gon to places full of crowds: Heaven's Arena, Yorknew marketplace, Chimera Ant arc when Gon's nen got sealed off.

Hisoka (extrovert)

He gets bored easily. One giant clue is during the G.I. arc where he actively went to Love Love city (where there are lots of people) to pass off the time until the Phantom Trope contacted him.
    Last edited by shareme; June 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

This topic is interesting. I hope more people will post; MBTI is actually a very interesting subject. Anyway, here are my thoughts based on what I know about the MBTI system (and from lurking around personalitycafe ).

I agree with what shareme has explained. From what I understand, introverts are people who are energized by their inside world (thoughts, alone time, etc...). They also enjoy being around others, but not for as long as extroverts. Imagine their energy reserves as batteries. Their energy levels drop the more they interact with the outside world. They recharge by retreating to their inside world.

The opposite goes for the extroverts. They are energized by the outside world (being with people, seeing new things, etc...). This is why they are generally 'at home' when around other people; they are not comfortable being by themselves because that drains them. They are hardwired to be with others, so to speak. Of course, MBTI is only about preferences though. So what we're really asking is what the character prefers: being an introvert, or being an extrovert?

This is more complicated in cognitive functions, but in essence it's asking how the characters obtain/perceive information, and how on how do they decide their next course of actions: subjectively (introvert; based on own perception) or objectively (extrovert; based on the world's/majority's perception). But yeah, this is more complicated so I won't get into this much. I'm not an expert anyway.

The HxH characters are tough to type. But here's what I think:

Gon: Would you believe I find it a bit hard to type Gon? On one hand, he's an adventure boy who's curious about the world. On the other hand, I've always had the impression that he doesn't really care about others except his close friends/companions, especially as the series progresses. Also...

Spoiler show

Still, those weren't normal circumstances, and MBTI is about healthy people IIRC. He's curious, outgoing, and he loves the thrill of a fight. So he's an extrovert, I believe. I can see this changing subtly though, since he is still a developing child. But right now, he's an extrovert to me.

EDIT: He could also be an introvert, given what shareme had (convincingly) said. And like Killua, he looks like someone who prefers close companions rather than a wide circle of friends. Erm, he's a tough one. I'll flip flop on him too like Hisoka, lol. Maybe he's naturally an introvert who shows extroverted qualities?

Killua: He grew up in a not-so-normal family, so he's not really someone you would expect to have normal friends/social skills. He desires friendship at the beginning of the series, but he doesn't seem like someone who would want a wide circle of friends; just a few close ones. He may be psychologically influenced by Illumi's needles, but he still seems like someone who lives in his head (especially when he's thinking of strategies and his emotions pertaining his family, Alluka or Gon). We see a lot of his thoughts in the manga, actually. So to me, he leans on introvert. He could also be an extrovert though, or most likely a developing one (he's still a child, after all). Not sure about this one, but for now I'd say introvert.

Kurapika: Mission-oriented, contemplative, works alone (or assumes leader position in Yorkshin), prioritizes his goals over his friends? (at least it seems like so in the latest chapters. It could be that he just doesn't want to involve his friends again though). I'd say introvert.

Leorio: Loud, expressive, empathetic, and can easily be a people-person. Extrovert.

Hisoka: Hm... we don't see much of Hisoka's thoughts other than who he wants to fight and how he plans to win a battle. The closest (and only?) friend he has is Illumi. He obviously loves to fight though, and like shareme said, gets bored easily. But when he is focused on something, he's really focused and doesn't notice anything else. Recall how Illumi said that Hisoka missed the whole Ant arc because he was busy chasing Kuroro. I'll flip flop between extrovert or introvert, but I'm leaning towards introvert. Maybe he's balanced?
    Last edited by Cinnabar; June 12, 2012 at 02:04 AM.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that it all ends when this test applies to healthy people. In which case, Leorio is the only one able to be analyzed. And it's quite evident at this point that He's extrovert.

However, I should make a note here: Not everyone can actually be ONE or ANOTHER so exclusive unless it has a disease. So we're introvert with certain people and are extrovert with others. Depends on who you talk to, when you talk to and where you talk to. So it's hard to define a character as introvert in a manga in which characters interacts constantly with each other.
    Look at Killua and Gon...They're both open and talkative with the characters introduced. Ok, they have some sort of stereotype behind them that says "Oh yes, He's introvert" but what we actually see is LOTS of interaction that denies that possibility. Even Kurapika, that completely TELLS to his friends his ability.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon - ISFp
    Killua - ENFj
    Kurapika - INTj (except when angered... then he's totally ISFj)
    Leorio - ESFj
    Hisoka - ENTp (maybe ESTp?)

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    However, I should make a note here: Not everyone can actually be ONE or ANOTHER so exclusive unless it has a disease. So we're introvert with certain people and are extrovert with others. Depends on who you talk to, when you talk to and where you talk to. So it's hard to define a character as introvert in a manga in which characters interacts constantly with each other.
    Look at Killua and Gon...They're both open and talkative with the characters introduced. Ok, they have some sort of stereotype behind them that says "Oh yes, He's introvert" but what we actually see is LOTS of interaction that denies that possibility. Even Kurapika, that completely TELLS to his friends his ability.
    While true, in the context of Jung's theory, Introversion and Extraversion are measured by which side is predominant. Contrary to popular belief, they do not indicate sociability or shyness. Rather, does one get more power from being alone (or with close friends--Introversion) or in a group of people (Extraversion)? See it as a continuum.
    Last edited by Popo; June 12, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    Gon - ISFp
    Haha, I took this test a while ago and I am actually ISFp, should I be worried that I have an incredible monster inside of me?

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

If we're talking about healthy people, then I think the only one we should have difficulty typing is Hisoka. I think we've seen the healthy states of all four main characters (as well as when they're in their unhealthy states). Hisoka though... I just never know what's going on with his head.

If I were to base on stereotypes (which shouldn't amount to much because, well, they are only stereotypes after all), I'd type him ENTP. Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    Kurapika - INTj (except when angered... then he's totally ISFj)
    I never gave much thought when it comes to Kurapika. But Kurapika as INTJ suddenly makes sense. It clicks. It really does. Especially when I look at the cognitive functions. He probably has developed Fi.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, sorry guys. Been busy suddenly with life. The "per-round" discussion went out the window :P

After thinking hard about it, I still stand for Gon-Kurapika being introverts and Hisoka-Leorio-Killua being extroverts.

It's funny when I remember that Hisoka, Leorio and Killua likes to "dress-up" / concern with their appearance in public the most. Hisoka-Killua is obvious since they're the frequent dress-up dolls (w/ Hisoka being very flamboyant). Leorio is not that obvious what with him wearing the same (type/design) clothes but he did say he wanted to appear respectable / rich to other people.

Also, I believe that introverts (being that I am one) don't take the word "friend" lightly (fellow introverts, please correct me if I'm wrong/you feel different about it). This is what I'm talking about:
    Spoiler show

Gon said Killua is his FIRST friend. So despite that he met Kurapika and Leorio first, he didn't consider them as "friends" until AFTER he decided that Killua is a "friend". Make sense if you think about the Zevil Island.

I also notice that Gon has a tendency to have [....] in his speech bubbles before he speak.

So let's see the results so far:
    Spoiler show

Are there anymore wanting to put their thoughts on our characters' extroversion/introversion? Will be discussing the 2nd round (Sensing/Intuition) later tonight (or morning) if no one will post after this. I think we'll all be having fun discussing Hisoka's mind in how it process information.
    Last edited by shareme; June 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shareme View Post
    Also, I believe that introverts (being that I am one) don't take the word "friend" lightly (fellow introverts, please correct me if I'm wrong/you feel different about it).
    I do agree with you that introverts don't take the word "friend" lightly, even if it's not obvious to some. Hm... You people are convincing me now that Gon is an introvert.

Quote Quote:
    So let's see the results so far:
    Spoiler show
    Lol at Killua's results. I think it's funny that we can't decide on him even though he is such a developed character. Or maybe we can't decide because he is a developed character?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

For me Killua has two personalities.He is extroverted but he has introverted habits because of his training.It 's the reason why he has problems with his family.
    Objective of Zoldycks's education is to create introverted killers.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
    I do agree with you that introverts don't take the word "friend" lightly, even if it's not obvious to some. Hm... You people are convincing me now that Gon is an introvert.
    Yeah. That's why it is significant when Gon said he'll introduce Killua as his "best friend". I never had a best friend so I can see how Gon views Killua as.

I think that this is how extroverts and introverts see (non-related) people as:

Other people (insignificant/harmless people) -> Acquaintances (useful/interesting people) -> Friends (same interest/hobby/passion/acquaintances) -> Close friends (friends) -> lover/significant other/better half (best friend/lover/significant other/better half)
    Legend: Extroverts (introverts)

EDIT: I've thought about it and I realized that introverts views their best friend as equally important as their gf/bf/lover. It is also not uncommon for them that they consider their lover/bf/gf as their best friend as well. Extroverts, on the other hand, consider their lover/gf/bf more important than their close friends.

So I think it creates problem when an extrovert and an introvert become romantically involve and the introvert has another person s/he needs (best friend) and the extrovert partner doesn't understand this need. (Correct me again if I'm wrong/feel different about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    For me Killua has two personalities.He is extroverted but he has introverted habits because of his training.It 's the reason why he has problems with his family.
    Objective of Zoldycks's education is to create introverted killers.
    You have a point there. Killua is an extrovert but because his family wanted to quash his "people interest" that they isolated him from other people not related to the Zoldycks, he exhibit introverted habits (it is hard to put off a lifetime of training). Although I wouldn't go as far as saying he has "two personalities".

One better way to see if an individual is an extrovert or introvert is observe where that person will go after a grueling test/work that took up hours (stress) to go and relax. Will he go directly home to sleep or a friend's house to rant? Or will he go with the people he's with (that shared the same fate as him) to go to a bar or movie/game house (to even more people)?

After being "freed" from his family (stress), Killua was the one who decided to head to Heaven's Arena to get money and training in a "relaxed" way (as he doesn't know about the nen on the 200th floor).

Before they met Kurapika (stress; because he knew that Spiders + Kurapika is danger!scene), he also went to a gambling house (lots of people) to earn money for the Greed Island game (another stress).

.... because I think that gamblers are extroverts.

---------- Post added June 16, 2012 at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was June 15, 2012 at 10:22 AM ----------

Round 2! Sensing vs Intuition

Sensing (Practical) : deal with information on the basis of its physical qualities and its affection by other information
    - see everyone and sense everything
    - live in the here and now
    - quickly adapt to any situation
    - like pleasures based on physical sensation
    - are practical and active
    - are realistic and self-confident

Intuitive (Sentimental) : deal with the information on the basis of its hidden potential and its possible existence
    - are mostly in the past or in the future
    - worry about the future more than the present
    - are interested in everything new and unusual
    - do not like routine
    - are attracted more to the theory than the practice
    - often have doubts

So guys, who are the Sensing and Intuitive types?
    Last edited by shareme; June 16, 2012 at 02:16 AM.

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon and Hisoka are Sensing, and Leorio and Killua seem more like Intuitive to me. Gon is very here and now, and can adapt quickly. I think Hisoka is the same way, they are both very confident in themselves.

Now we have Intuitive Leorio and Killua, Killua thinks a lot of his past as a killer and dreamed of a normal life and making friends. He thinks several steps ahead gets bored easily. Leorio I think could be justified as Intuitive simply based on his goals to become a doctor being purely based on his past and he thinks often of his future as a doctor. I'm not entirely sure about Kurapika, but if I had to guess also Intuitive because of his past driven single mindedness (he's also untrusting (has doubts))
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Abusing the spoiler tags so my post doesn't seem long for once.

I'm not familiar with how Sensors think because (I believe) I'm an iNtuitive myself. This is how I understand the differences though. Correct me if my analysis of S vs. N is wrong though.

Spoiler show

Sensing and iNtuition are ways that characters take in and filter in information. So as I'm typing these characters, I'm basically asking myself: How do these characters handle information? I might also rely a bit on cognitive functions and stereotypes even though I'm not the best typer out there, so I may be talking nonsense in some parts.

Anyway. My guesses, summary version:

Gon: Sensor. (Se)
    Killua: iNtuitive with developed Sensing skills. (Probably Ne, with developed Se?)
    Kurapika: iNtuitive. (Ne)
    Leorio: Sensor. (Si, with developed Fe to make him extroverted)
    Hisoka: Sensor with high intuition from time to time. (Se)

Longer version:

Spoiler show

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone, new here (been lurking for a while)! Huge HxH fan.

I'll quickly put in my input for Extroverted/Introverted:

There are two obvious choices for me. Leorio is clearly and Extrovert and Kurapika is clearly an Introvert. As for the others...

Gon: I'm going to lean toward introvert, but he does have a lot of extroverted tendencies. Although during his younger years, he spent a bit of time traipsing through the forests and interacting with animals, he also seemed to interact with the people who came to the island (cougars, yeah?). He isn't a shy person by any means, but I can see him definitely needing his alone time to unwind. He also seems like someone who would prefer having a few close friends over an abundance of friends. But unlike Kurapika who makes it a point to not get anyone involved with his problems and prefers to act alone, Gon is more than willing and invites people to join him in his goals, so this is where he also falls into the extrovert category.

Killua: In contrast to Gon, I find him to be an extrovert with introvert tendencies for reasons that were already stated. He has a natural tendency to enjoy the company of others and make friends. And yeah, he's one of the dress-up dolls of the series... with a new outfit nearly every arc plus 1 or 2. But again, since he almost falls into BOTH categories, I don't have as much else to elaborate on for him. I could argue that he seems to be the one contacting people as resources if needed (i.e. Kurapika in Yorkshin and GI, Milluki before Yorkshin, working in collaboration with others to bring Alluka to Gon instead of doing it all on his own). I also see Gon doing that, too, but not to the extent that Killua does. I can also see him being the one to unwind by going out somewhere like a casino or Heaven's Arena.

Hisoka
    : Tricky one. I'd have to say extrovert. My reasons for this have already been stated. He also does his own thing, but he doesn't seem opposed to receiving help if he can benefit from it somehow. And if he's bored, I can see him going to places that have lots of people. And we also found him in Heaven's Arena (though I dunno if he was bored and needed something to pass the time, or figured Gon would go there and wanted to meet up with him again).

----------------------------------------------------------------

Now for Intuition vs Sensing...

Gon: He falls under sensing. Cinnabar pretty much said what I would say in regards to Gon.

Killua: He's intuition. He has some sensing qualities as well, but falls primarily under the former. He likes to plan things out in advance, have a tactic of some sort to ensure things work out. After leaving his home with Gon, he did show some of the sensing qualities in terms of traveling with him to figure out what he wanted to do, but even so, that was still a thought of the future. He has also been shown to have a lot doubts. A LOT of doubts. Doubts towards Hisoka's motives in GI, doubts regarding the tactics for infiltrating the palace in East Goruto, doubts about his abilities and protecting Gon (although that was also due to Illumi's needle). I sometimes get the impression that at times he wasn't sure if he's good enough to be Gon's friend. I think over time, as he gained confidence and determination, he's started to display some sensing qualities.

Kurapika: Intiution for sure. Moreso than Killua. Again, I agree with Cinnabar's explanation regarding him.

Leorio: I'm going to say intuition here. He has a clear cut path and goal to becoming a doctor based on his past experiences. He doesn't seem the type to adapt to situations as quickly either as say... sensors like Gon.

Hisoka: He very much a "here and now" type, so I'm going to have to go with sensing.

Sensing vs Intuition is difficult to judge for me, so I don't have as much confidence in my placements for this one.

25. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply