Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
    I finished reading the Greed Island arc. To be honest, it was mediocre. It was all more nen training and nothing stood out except for two or three events. I accepted the idea of getting into the world of a video game at first and thought it would be something like the Digital World from Digimon, but became underwhelming when they find out that they were still in the real world. The final fight was sorta cool, but it wasn't that spectacular to me. (I need some brain bleach to get rid of biscuit's "real" form...!) .
    I enjoyed Greed Island a lot whenever I re-read it (I rarely re-read Yorkshin) but yeah I do get tired of the training part. But I can't help loving it whenever Togashi geek out like that with his world building and rule-setting (and breaking/twisting it later). There's something really refreshing when the kids were just another players among other regular folks, they're not 'special' like in the other arcs and it's fun seeing them being noobs and concealing themselves in a controlled environment. I think the re-readability is up there for this arc (except the training part), especially the dodgeball game. The villain of the arc is among the most evil in the entire series that you just can't help rooting the heroes to beat him, which is rare for Togashi's work.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kamen Rider Dragon View Post
    Man the Chimera Ant arc is disturbingly violent. Watching Pokkle get tortured was hard to see. Did Ponzo get shot?
    Right in her head/face it seems...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member TheAmericandream's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Greed Island is a good arc, but it feels very uneven at times to me mostly because of all the training and rules set up for the card game. I'm looking forward to seeing if the new anime can pull it off a bit better. But Greed Island has a lot of my favorite Gon moments (who is still my favorite character) namely the Dodgeball game and the Bomber fight. Of course I think Biscuit is one of the best side characters in the series too, before Yorknew the series severely lacked females.

Ponzu's death seems almost mean spirited to me at the time, but in contrast to other Shonen series that shy away from killing likable characters EVER (bleach) its a welcome change. Togashi does a good job of making you feel concern or tension for his characters, and a big part of that is his ability to toss aside characters whenever the story needs it without much hesitation.
    Freddy? ....No, HISOKA!!-Agon's famous last words.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The dodgeball game is one my favorite parts of the Hunter x Hunter manga, and Razor was a badass character.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea Razor is a total beast! I guess in that regard for me, Razor left a MUCH bigger impression on me then the Bomber team, even though they are also scary.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We need moar Razor! and for the longest time, I've always wanted to see him fight Yupi.

Look at this beast

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akia999 View Post
    Personally ,I felt that the 1999 version made kurapika more remorse and guilty instead of soft.After killing off both Uvogin and Pakunoda ,he was guilty about killing them and was haunted by their death.(During greed island arc,when he had fever ,he kept seeing them.)
    actually I agree. I think this fits better.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

at first the only part I liked about Greed Island was the bomber story because that was an actual fight.
    But now I'm really liking all the aspects. Yes it is essentially a training arc but it's great.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

The best part of Greed Island is Genthru, a start to finish excellent antagonist. I still believe he is the best villain in the whole of Hunter x Hunter (even more so than the King), mostly because he is such a mysterious character. Still to this day there is a lot of mystery surrounding him. I want to know more about him and his connection with Sub and Bara.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Only thing I disliked about Genthru was his character design which also looked pretty meh imo. But that might have more to do with the way he was drawn in the OVAs. I actually prefer the way the characters (Gon in particular) were drawn in the OVAs, except for how detailed their eyes looked in G.I. Final.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I find Genthru to be probably the least compelling of the HxH antagonists when I think about his character by himself (even less so then Tonpa). Though I think in the context of the arc he is interesting. The fact that Gon had the balls to face so many opponents up to now, his crazy goes full tilt as he sacrifices his life almost fighting Genthru. For me Genthru vs Gon easily tops Gon vs Pitou in terms of the impact it had on me. I also really like Genthru's abilities, they're terrifying. You wouldn't think such psychopath's would be lurking in a game like Greed Island, but its a big part of what made the arc interesting. Sub and Bara to me always felt like good friends of Genthru, like his old college roommates or something :P. I like that he did actually care about them at the end despite being such a crazy. So I guess I enjoy Genthru, just not as much as every other antagonist in HxH. Gon vs Genthru is one of my favorite battles in the series though since Gon is my favorite HxH character.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmericandream View Post
    I find Genthru to be probably the least compelling of the HxH antagonists when I think about his character by himself (even less so then Tonpa). Though I think in the context of the arc he is interesting. The fact that Gon had the balls to face so many opponents up to now, his crazy goes full tilt as he sacrifices his life almost fighting Genthru. For me Genthru vs Gon easily tops Gon vs Pitou in terms of the impact it had on me. I also really like Genthru's abilities, they're terrifying. You wouldn't think such psychopath's would be lurking in a game like Greed Island, but its a big part of what made the arc interesting. Sub and Bara to me always felt like good friends of Genthru, like his old college roommates or something :P. I like that he did actually care about them at the end despite being such a crazy. So I guess I enjoy Genthru, just not as much as every other antagonist in HxH. Gon vs Genthru is one of my favorite battles in the series though since Gon is my favorite HxH character.
    Yeah Genthru has a very random, pedestrian appearance (done on purpose), not a larger-than-life charismatic super villain like Hisoka, Kuroro, Chimera Ant King, yet he's done things that felt more horrible those three. He has the look of a 3rd tier background baddie that the heroes beat up while sleep walking...yet he inspired this frightening threat looming over the game the entire way. So it made him so refreshing because he's not a cool likable villain (which is what Togashi is good at writing)...he barely has any redeeming value, and so effective.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think Genthru is still used very effectively, and I don't think we're necessarily meant to "like" him. Then again, I don't think we're supposed to like Tonpa, but I love that dopey guy.

Holy shit, I think this AMV for Hisoka is pretty amazing, also I think it manages to use footage from the OVA's 1999 and 2011 fairly well (less jarring then I'd thought it'd be)

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Only thing I disliked about Genthru was his character design which also looked pretty meh imo. But that might have more to do with the way he was drawn in the OVAs.
    So HxH is a very expressive manga. Characters' faces distort and change all of the time. But Genthru is one of the few in the manga who largely remains expressionless, sans a few instances of delight (usually coupled with a malicious action) and rage (against Gon). I also appreciate the fact that you rarely see his eyes; when reading the manga, I assumed that he might be wearing sunglasses with colored lenses.

I really disliked how the G.I. Final OVA tried to make Genthru's face more animated. His face contorts into these strange and evil expressions; his hair receives a random coif spiked atop his head. I'll pull out some examples today, but the ways in which he's drawn in that OVA are noticeably different.

13. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

No I remember Popo. Go for it! Genthru's design is sort of a mess in GI Final.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I just wanna give you guys a little bit of an analysis of Genthru's character (manga only, OVA Genthru is an inaccurate depiction).

When we first meet Genthru he appears to be a 'good guy', he's got the look of a good guy and seems to be doing the nice thing of informing a group of newbies of a dangerous enemy known as the Bomber. Not long later it's revealed that all of this was a deception concocted by none other than himself, the severity of which is immense. He has placed a time bomb onto every one in that group and offers them their lives in exchange for their cards. Knowing that he can't allow anyone who knows his identity to live, all three of the bomb devils release the explosives which kills the entire group in the most gory way imaginable. Now this could be percieved as Genthru enjoying killing, but I take it in another way, I take it as Genthru viewing their deaths as a necessity in order to move forward to his goal (win greed island and get the prize money). The money drives all three of these mysterious antagonists, we never truly know why exactly they seek this money, why they need it or what their motivation is at all, Togashi intentionally leaves that open ended.

The bond however between Genthru, Sub and Bara however speaks a thousand words. Genthru's ability requires his two friends help in order to release it, showing that he trusts them more than anyone else, so much so that he bases a part of his ability around them. That's not the end of it though, after being defeated by Gon, Genthru refuses being healed in favour of healing his friends. It's through his interactions with Sub and Bara that we see his innate humanity beneath the dark exterior. These three have a long history together, perhaps even childhood friends. They view eachother almost as family. Sub and Bara clearly admire Genthru and want to help him achieve his goals, but why? Why do these three need the money? To what ends? I'm not buying 'to be rich' or 'they are just psychos', I feel that there is a much deeper reason behind their desire to win the prize money, there is a reason these three are as dark as they are, but much like a similar looking villain form Yu Yu Hakusho (Toguro) we never truly know the mysteries of these characters, but there is still a slight glimmer of humanity underneath these characters and that humanity is in their bond of friendship.

Genthru uses fear in order to get what he wants. He spreads the story of the bomber in order to incite fear in others, why does he do this? Because to him inciting fear is a strength. When he encounters Gon, he tries to incite fear into him as well, but is shocked when he realises that Gon isn't like the others, Gon is crazy. There was no other person in Greed Island that could defeat Genthru. Genthru underestimated Gon, only viewed him as a child easily able to be scared, when he realises that is not the case he fumbles and is ultimately defeated by his inability to incite fear in Gon. Gon does not fear the Bomber, he welcomes the challenge with open arms, because he is unhinged.

The battle with Genthru is the most important battle in Gon's development because Genthru is built up to be a fearsome foe, not just because of his powerful ability but also because of his skill at spreading despair, yet Gon is the only person who isn't afraid, he will do anything to beat Genthru, even if it kills him. It's the most interesting battle for Gon and is one that deserves much more analysis.

Genthru is still largely a mysterious figure, we never find out his true motivations or his fate, everything is left hanging, waiting for the moment Genthru can return. I feel there is so much more stories to be told with his character.
    Last edited by futurefrog; May 18, 2012 at 07:25 PM.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Though I can't see a comparison to Toguro at all, I don't see anything about Genthru as noble or deep. It's possible he has more lofty goals but I just felt he was sick and enjoyed being able to kill whenever he wants. Now that doesn't mean he wasn't without some morals, he cared about his friends in a similar way the Spiders do almost. But I always thought the goal of clearing the game was sort of like other psychopaths in fiction, an excuse to pass the time and keep on killing. I mean he is laughing whenever he kills, and they even make sport of the guys they use to obtain more cards. Genthru is a depraved lunatic and I enjoy him for that, though I do wish I had more insight into his character.

Actually speaking of that, did Gon and Killua not turn them over to the Authorities at the end of Greed Island? I don't remember them doing it, but its been a long time since I've read the manga adaptation of the arc (and well scanlation translations suck). I'm not sure why they wouldn't honestly, they heal them I remember that much. But why let a killer like him free? Was it out of respect?

Thread Closed
Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 102 ... LastLast