Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 28 of 134 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: HxH MadHouse Anime Discussion! Part 2

I got into HxH around 2008, I watched the 1999 series, which was great(didn't have tastes on animation back then) so I checked out the manga after I was done and I was hooked. Though I started to lose interest with all the hiatuses and stuff, and I just stopped for a while. When the new anime came out I got back into it and I was hooked again.

I'm not a hardcore fan like you guys, though I'm working on it. Need to post here and talk with you guys more.

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually rather surprised that some of the people here are newer to the series than I first thought.
    I figured most people here were veterans of the series. It may be unfair of me to say but I'm glad I
    started late because I had the advantage of not only being able to skip several hiatuses but also
    be forewarned of future ones.

Well looking back at my Amazon account I bought Box set 2 in May 2009 and the first box set came out in December 2008 and I think I got it then.
    HxH is actually the first box set of any anime I've ever bought and I'm going to get the 2011 version for sure when it comes out
    and is dubbed. Though I'll likely wait for the box sets since I like to get my bang for my buck.

Anyhow I think I probably started seriously reading the manga in 2009 to 2010.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GingFuriksu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chei View Post
    So fun to hear everyone's 'how I got into HxH' story.
    Sounds like I'm probably the oldest fan here, as I followed HxH since the very beginning -- when the manga first started serialized in Jump back in the 90s. I was a big fan of YYH so of course I would read everything Togashi wrote. I love Level-E and was initially let down a little when I found Togashi's new series turn out to be a classic shounen with younger appeal (come on, the first few chapters of HxH are very children's literature-esque), not that I mind that but after the wonderful anti-shounen Level-E I was expecting him going for more realistic art and seinen genre. I sticked with it because it IS still enjoyable and cleverly written as always, but I didn't become true fan until we get to Gon stealing Hisoka's tag. Hisoka really confirmed that the childlike vibe is not what it seemed.

Then came the 99 anime, which I had to keep up with the latest episodes from VHS tapes from Japanese video stores (they taped the TV broadcast and shipped the tapes over). I was let down because of the many reasons I complained before (corny hammy direction, cheesy fillers, bad characterizations, etc). I got annoyed and deemed it not worthy to put in the effort to watch this in the middle of Heaven's Arena. (only to watch the rest years later when the Internet video streaming age came, man kids nowadays have no idea how much easier it is for them).

Anyway I've outgrew most anime/manga over the years but HxH stays all these years. I'm fine with waiting for the hiatus as it's the only series i keep up with anyway. Seems like a lot of you also only read HxH (as oppose to a general anime/manga fan). The 2011 reboot helped me join the online community as I don't have any friends who read the series.
    Damn. You ARE the oldest fan. Which is nice to see how long you've stuck with it all these years and its the ONLY manga you still read ( Which shows how good of a mangaka Togashi is )

I read other manga besides HxH but HxH is most DEFINITELY my favorite series of all. I read Shingeki No Kyojin, Vagabond, Blade of The Immortal, Vinland Saga and Bleach. I wouldn't really call myself a manga fan because I'm really picky with what I read and only read stuff that are REALLY well written and thought out with Bleach being the exception of course ( I read it because I personally find it enjoyable )

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

krakpot theory time:

Feitan and Linssen are brothers.

Tragedy unfolds.

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well now it's my turn, on how I stumbled upon the oh so great! Hunter x Hunter. In 2010 after completely re-watching Yu Yu Hakusho I wanted to find a series with a similar atmosphere and lucky for me I went on Togashi's wikipedia page, and saw he was still writing. As soon I found out about Hunter x Hunter I hopped on good old amazon.com (where I buy almost all of my anime/manga) and at first I was stumped on which I should buy first A.) the anime or B.) the manga. But since I found out the anime was incomplete, I choose the manga. (best choice btw lol)

I bought the first four volumes. I read half of volume one on the same day it arrived, but something just didn't click with me. So I put off reading it for three or four months. When I started reading it again, and after completely reading volume one... I was hooked! if it wasn't for Hisoka, I honestly might have given up on the series, and I'm GLAD! I didn't. Now it's my all time favorite manga, and it always will be.

Thank you! Yoshihiro Togashi for creating this amazing! series

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

10. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

1999 series aired on T.V. Watched the whole thing, bought the set (chinese dub) and then dl'd the OVAs. Wondered what the hell took so long so read the manga from after G.I. Hiatus, hiatus, hiatus. Finished CA, then read the manga from start to finish. Then 2011 started airing, and haven't stopped bitching about it ever since. I like to compare the corresponding 1999 and 2011 episodes sometimes. One day i'm just going to marathon the both of them for a more holistic comparison rather than multiple episodes stacked against each other.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sticky, I don't why but that made me laugh

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

How did I get to HxH.

First of all, I was aware of the series' existence since it was very popular, but I wasn't a fan. I was aware of some events from watching snippets of the dubbed anime and in some magazines.

And then about two years ago I decided to buy the manga and got myself the first three volumes. And last year I was about to start watching the 1999 series, but the news of the remake changed my mind and decided to watch that instead. And since there were blind 1999 fans who complained and complained about the 2011 version "not representing the "real" HxH spirit", and by "real HxH spirit" I mean the false 1999 version, I decided to take the 2011 side while being on the side of the manga as well. And since then I decided to buy the rest of the manga. At first I was the opinion who didn't watch the old version but that changed afterwards to be a 3-way detailed comparison taking over Popo's job.

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ZonikStrike's Avatar
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

I started reading HxH like 2-3 years ago, but somewhy I dropped it even before YS started. I guess it was because I didn't really understand everything as my english was even worse at the time lol. After a year, after I joined the russian scanlation team as a translator, our typesetter suggested we translated HxH. So I decided to give it a second chance. I finished it in a few days, and, luckily enough, just when the last hiatus ended, so I could read Chimera Ants in one go. Then I decided to watch TV-1 with friends, but it really disappointed me. So I was really happy to hear about the new series. And I still am happy about it. =D
    As I see, many of you guys started HxH because of YYH; but for me it actually was vice versa. And I didn't find YYH as enjoyable as HxH, yet it was still very good imo, and after the Dark Tournament it became more and more HxH-ish lol.
    Last edited by ZonikStrike; October 12, 2012 at 05:52 AM.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Netero View Post
    Sticky, I don't why but that made me laugh
    How insensitive of you Netero! How dare you mock the pure drama, exhilarating action, spine tingling suspense, and the ULTIMATE TWIST
    that will undoubtedly occur when Feitan and Linssen encounter each other on the summit of Heavens Arena. Will brother fight against brother!?

Lol just kidding.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

this actually leads me to an interesting theory a legit one.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, I 've never heard of the Shalnark-is-Kurta theory. But that's mainly because I don't join much in convos and discussion threads hehe.

I first encountered HxH as the 99 anime when it was aired and dubbed locally on TV.

Then I bought the GI OVAs. Back then I didn't know manga existed so I was content when anime stopped airing or stopped producing any more seasons. >.> How sad, now that I think about it.

I discovered manga years later, just before I joined here on MH. And I didn't like reading HxH then because that was during the start of the ant arc, and I was so disoriented somehow, and Togashi's lazy art during GI really turned me off. But after a while of looking for stuff to read I decided to read HxH again from the very beginning (and not just rely on the anime, for example) and read straight up to the near culmination of the ant arc, right before its hiatus during that time.

And I was so impressed. Still, I don't join discussion threads much. Because I can't keep up with all the rabid posts when new chapters are out

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

regarding the Shalnark theory, I think it's fairly plausible. And a nice twist to it. Shalnark may be well acquainted with technology only after he left the Kurta. Who knows how many years since he deserted the clan, and you can learn technology in a few months if you're really into it. And Kurta might be a clan of geniuses, take for example Kurapika who easily mastered Nen. Maybe Shalnark was the same.

20. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member bambinarubata's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    That's the theory. Been going around in HxH fandom for years now. But there is also points against it. Some say that Shalnark is too good with technology to be a Kurta but we don't know that they didn't use technology. Also look at Pairo's clothing and hair, almost identical to Shalnark. One other thing, Shalnark NEVER encounters Kurapika or is ever seen by Kurapika in any way. Go look back and even the fake corpses, Shalnarks not one of them. Never do they cross paths. I think that Shalnark needs to meet with Kurapika. Also the reason Shalnark has never been seen to have Scarlet eyes is that he is always happy. Just some things to ponder for this theory.
    Only Togashi will tell whether this theory is founded!

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Volume 30 out on May 7th 2013.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142...pf_rd_i=507846

Considering 29 comes out in January and I'm sure that Viz wouldn't release them this fast if they knew there wouldn't be more for a while, maybe a lift on hiatus is coming? (Viz and Shuiesha are pretty much the same company, so I wouldn't be surprised if they talked, and of course Togashi probably speaks to Shueisha as to when he'll be making a return. This is all pure speculation though so take it with huge grains of salt.)
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

23. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok here's my story. I'm not that much into the whole manga/anime thing but as most of my friends i liked dragonball and dragonball z. I came to HxH in 2001 when they first published it in germany in a magazine called Banzai. It's my favorite manga since then but that's not much to say because besides HxH i only read One Piece, Naruto and Dragonball of course

25. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Akia999's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

How did I get into HxH. This is going to be one heck of a boring story...
    One day in 2008, my sister bought back this anime that was recommended to her by her friend.And that anime was Hunter x Hunter. Around that time, I heard of HxH before but wasn't keen to watch it.(I also didn't know that YYH was from the same author and it has been air on the anime channel in my country in 2006) And then we started watching it and I would admit that we spend most of the time trying to guess what Kurapika gender was.In fact,there was the real reason we even watch HxH in this first place! After a while, my sister gave up because it was too boring but I continued on (even though I also found it boring) But when Yorknew arc started, that's when I started to become a fan of HxH.Soon enough I finished the anime and the 3 ova.Then,I started reading the manga (the chimera ant arc) and managed to live through 2 hiatus.After a while,I lost interest in the series.
    When the 2011 anime air last year along with the manga returning, I become an huge fan of Hunter x Hunter yet again.
    Personally, the only thing good about the hiatus is that it gives me time to reread all the past arc and actually enjoy each arc. (I was a huge fan of the 1999 anime version of Kurapika that I pretty much dislike all the arc that he wasn't in- what the hell was I thinking then)

Thread Closed
Page 28 of 134 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 78 128 ... LastLast