Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmericandream View Post
    Though I can't see a comparison to Toguro at all, I don't see anything about Genthru as noble or deep. It's possible he has more lofty goals but I just felt he was sick and enjoyed being able to kill whenever he wants. Now that doesn't mean he wasn't without some morals, he cared about his friends in a similar way the Spiders do almost. But I always thought the goal of clearing the game was sort of like other psychopaths in fiction, an excuse to pass the time and keep on killing. I mean he is laughing whenever he kills, and they even make sport of the guys they use to obtain more cards. Genthru is a depraved lunatic and I enjoy him for that, though I do wish I had more insight into his character.

Actually speaking of that, did Gon and Killua not turn them over to the Authorities at the end of Greed Island? I don't remember them doing it, but its been a long time since I've read the manga adaptation of the arc (and well scanlation translations suck). I'm not sure why they wouldn't honestly, they heal them I remember that much. But why let a killer like him free? Was it out of respect?
    Gon and Killua leave them. Not so much out of respect, but more that Gon doesn't feel that Genthru is a bad person. To Gon this was all a game, Genthru lost and Gon won. You could make an arguement that Gon does not view any of Genthru's murderous actions as 'bad'. After all Genthru was just playing the game right? Gon does not think of Genthru as a bad guy, more like a final boss of a video-game, just an obstacle to overcome in order to complete the game. If I recall correctly, there is never a single moment in which Gon says or thinks that Genthru is a bad person, in fact it's more the opposite, in some ways he appears to understand and empathise with Genthru strangely enough. Genthru is in many ways the type of person Gon wants to become and defeating Genthru is one step into that direction. Gon wants to be fearsome, he wants to be strong and by the time we get to Gon vs Pitou, he has become that person. He has become a reflection of Genthru in many ways. Gon sees Genthru as someone to admire more than someone to hate. Very interesting stuff that is often overlooked. Greed Island is a brilliant arc.

There is also a quote from Genthru that really embodies his philosphy:
    "The trick is to show how calm yet crazy you are" - Genthru.
    This is something we come to relate with Gon in the Ants arc.
    Last edited by futurefrog; May 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    Gon and Killua leave them. Not so much out of respect, but more that Gon doesn't feel that Genthru is a bad person. To Gon this was all a game, Genthru lost and Gon won. You could make an arguement that Gon does not view any of Genthru's murderous actions as 'bad'. After all Genthru was just playing the game right? Gon does not think of Genthru as a bad guy, more like a final boss of a video-game, just an obstacle to overcome in order to complete the game. If I recall correctly, there is never a single moment in which Gon says or thinks that Genthru is a bad person, in fact it's more the opposite, in some ways he appears to understand and empathise with Genthru strangely enough. Genthru is in many ways the type of person Gon wants to become and defeating Genthru is one step into that direction. Gon wants to be fearsome, he wants to be strong and by the time we get to Gon vs Pitou, he has become that person. He has become a reflection of Genthru in many ways. Gon sees Genthru as someone to admire more than someone to hate. Very interesting stuff that is often overlooked. Greed Island is a brilliant arc.
    Sorry, but this is all nonsense. The only thing that is marginally true is the idea that Gon considers G.I as a game between Hunters and that therefore they should enter the game with an expectation of risk.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Popo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mousiehamster View Post
    Sorry, but this is all nonsense. The only thing that is marginally true is the idea that Gon considers G.I as a game between Hunters and that therefore they should enter the game with an expectation of risk.
    No, it's actually a very sound analysis. Gon does want to be feared. And in fact, he admires the enemies that give him chills. Hisoka, Razor, Genthru, etc. Despite the fact that all of these men have no business being role models to the boy, Gon still identifies with them and tries to understand them. In essence, he never judges anyone for their actions. He often reacts with anger and confusion, but never hatred.

However, this all changes after he sees Kite during those "Reunion" chapters. I'll update this post later with more details, but they're pretty important in tracking Gon's character development. For the first time, Gon realizes what it truly means to hate.

futurefrog, I really liked your writeup on Genthru. I've never even really considered reanalyzing his motives until now. You're right--if he was after material wealth, Genthru would have had a considerably easy time acquiring it with his abilities. Even if he is not a professional Hunter, he could become one with no problem. Money would never be an issue again. So why did Genthru come to Greed Island in the first place? What was he after?
    Last edited by Popo; May 19, 2012 at 02:57 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    No, it's actually a very sound analysis. Gon does want to be feared. And in fact, he admires the enemies that give him chills. Hisoka, Razor, Genthru, etc. Despite the fact that all of these men have no business being role models to the boy, Gon still identifies with them and tries to understand them. In essence, he never judges anyone for their actions. He often reacts with anger and confusion, but never hatred.

However, this all changes after he sees Kite during those "Reunion" chapters. I'll update this post later with more details, but they're pretty important in tracking Gon's character development. For the first time, Gon realizes what it truly means to hate.

futurefrog, I really liked your writeup on Genthru. I've never even really considered reanalyzing his motives until now. You're right--if he was after material wealth, Genthru would have had a considerably easy time acquiring it with his abilities. Even if he is not a professional Hunter, he could become one with no problem. Money would never be an issue again. So why did Genthru come to Greed Island in the first place? What was he after?
    That's the thing I find interesting about Genthru, so much regarding him feels like a deception, like we are only getting half of the story with him. As you've said there are far easier ways to acquire wealth, what is it that makes it necessary for them to enter Greed Island instead of the numerous other ways to gain wealth. I think it's something much more complicated than simply wanting money, it deserves a lot more analysis. I might go reread Greed Island and see what I can discover. I know others don't find him as interesting a character, but there is something so enigmatic about him that makes me want to know more in comparison with other antagonists who we know a lot about (The King, Illumi, Chrollo to an extent). I think a lot of people just don't care about him because he lost to Gon, which is sad.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

All this talk about Genthru makes me really want to re-read Greed Island.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member heron bpv's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

The highest probability is that he was after the money, AND something else which could only be acquired in GI, like one of the cards. Let's face it people, there's no easy way to anyone to win 50 billion buckets like that, and Gensuru's Bomber ability was devilish designed to be used under a mask of deception, making it easier for him to see his nen a sure-way to win the game.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by heron bpv View Post
    The highest probability is that he was after the money, AND something else which could only be acquired in GI, like one of the cards. Let's face it people, there's no easy way to anyone to win 50 billion buckets like that, and Gensuru's Bomber ability was devilish designed to be used under a mask of deception, making it easier for him to see his nen a sure-way to win the game.
    If he was after one of the cards, that only thickens the plot, but makes more sense as going after the money seemed rather trivial and at times didn't really seem to be Genthru's priority. But if that is the case, which card did he want I wonder? It's a mystery. We will never know until Genthru returns to the manga. I'd actually like to see him side with Beyond Netero in Kakin. It's hard to speculate though when it comes to Genthru as Togashi intentionally leaves a lot about him as a mystery, he is very intentional is his portrayal of Genthru, he makes sure to measure the amount of detail he reveals about the man beneath the exterior. Very enigmatic character for sure.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popo View Post
    No, it's actually a very sound analysis.
    No. Then again you think HxH is a deconstruction of Pokemon.

Quote Quote:
    It's baseless conjecture spurred by - let's be honest - futurefrog's unreasoning fandom of Genthru. Furthermore I refer you to his posts on Genthru's purported return. Hell I refer you to his posts on Genthru in general.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Then again you think HxH is a deconstruction of Pokemon.

It's baseless conjecture spurred by - let's be honest - futurefrog's unreasoning fandom of Genthru. Furthermore I refer you to his posts on Genthru's purported return. Hell I refer you to his posts on Genthru in general.
    That's okay mousie, we are all entitled to our opinions.
    What do you think of Genthru?

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Netero View Post
    All this talk about Genthru makes me really want to re-read Greed Island.
    well to be honest, Greed Island wasn't all about Genthru.

My favorite part of GI was (aside from the Razor sidequest) Gon and Killua's training with Biscuit.

I especially liked the whole part of GI that if played properly, and treated as a true game, it was really all about improving Nen. That Gon and Killua, with their innocence and determination, could easily finish the game if it weren't for the misguided scumbags who disrupted the game for wrong reasons.

Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    That's okay mousie, we are all entitled to our opinions.
    What do you think of Genthru?
    What I disagreed with is your assertion that Gon empathizes with the guy and sees him as a role model. Secondly, I don't think every villain needs to be somebody with a grandiose purpose or possess an earth shattering motive that lends sympathy. In that sense I think you attribute far too much importance to Genthru (for whatever reason that is). The thing that I suspect the audience is supposed to take away is that even a mass murdering psychopath like Genthru can have friends he'd risk his life for. I think it would somewhat defeat/cheapen the message - if you can even call it that - if suddenly Genthru returns out of nowhere, particularly as a good guy. It also lends the narrative an air of authenticity to (sometimes) leave loose ends here and there. Of course, you don't want to do that to significant characters (like the Spiders) but Genthru imo is a prime target.

As villains go, he's alright. He has interesting abilities. He's not particularly driven - he just wants to win the game. Sometimes that's enough.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

What I disagreed with is your assertion that Gon empathizes with the guy and sees him as a role model. Secondly, I don't think every villain needs to be somebody with a grandiose purpose or possess an earth shattering motive that lends sympathy. In that sense I think you attribute far too much importance to Genthru (for whatever reason that is). The thing that I suspect the audience is supposed to take away is that even a mass murdering psychopath like Genthru can have friends he'd risk his life for. I think it would somewhat defeat/cheapen the message - if you can even call it that - if suddenly Genthru returns out of nowhere, particularly as a good guy. It also lends the narrative an air of authenticity to (sometimes) leave loose ends here and there. Of course, you don't want to do that to significant characters (like the Spiders) but Genthru imo is a prime target.

As villains go, he's alright. He has interesting abilities. He's not particularly driven - he just wants to win the game. Sometimes that's enough.
    We have quite different interpretations it seems. For me personally I find Genthru to be one of the most compelling villains in the series, I do not have any qualms if he never returns again but as a fan of the character I'd like to see more stories told about him. I think there is a lot more left in the tank for Genthru's characterisation and his importance in my opinion surpasses almost all other villains to date (besides Hisoka) due to the fact that he changes Gon more dramatically than anyone else in the series. Genthru's effect on Gon is profound, he was Gon's first big defeat. Beating Genthru sets off the ticking time bomb inside of Gon that ultimately results in him exploding on Pitou later on down the track.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Goral's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Good news guys. New group has decided to scanlate older chapters of Hunter x Hunter (the ones that look like shit) and they've just released chapters 18 and 19. You can grab them from their site: http://jwmad.blogspot.se/
    I'm also pretty sure that translators/typesetters/cleaners would be welcome to help.

15. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

And to be honest, the concept of villain in HxH is quite weird. Everyone has both "sides" in a way that is quite subtle but evident, which makes Gentrhu another interesting character. Not my favorite, actually, I personally believe He did not made such a huge impact on Gon.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    And to be honest, the concept of villain in HxH is quite weird. Everyone has both "sides" in a way that is quite subtle but evident, which makes Gentrhu another interesting character. Not my favorite, actually, I personally believe He did not made such a huge impact on Gon.
    Maybe he didn't make such a huge impact on Gon.
    But I do think Genthru was the one to show us just how crazy Gon is.
    Basically Gon was always crazy and we got hints of that. But Gon vs Genthru is the moment it is fully revealed.

Thread Closed
Page 3 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast