Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter x Hunter Hangout Thread [01]

Well, for the most part bisk's ability is one of the actual few abilities which have real world applications. I mean, the sheer amount of things which that could do for us is astounding to say the least. In particular, the ability to reduce resting time to 30 minutes.... How is that not awesome? Gotta cram an entire semester in two days? Sleep with her ability every 4 hours and you are good to go for that A. Have a deadline but not time to sleep? Nonsense, there is no such thing as no time to sleep if you only need 30 minutes for the equivalent of 8 hours of rest. Stressed out and tired? Nonsense. The ability makes you superhuman in a real world scenario basically.

Now, lets take a look at other abilities. Shalnarks and any other's control? Ok, having something which allows you complete control over someone if you fulfill some conditions is useful... if you are a rapist. Basically just about anything which manipulation allows does not have any legal real world applications.

Nen bullets and projectiles are cool without a doubt and they certainly have their uses. Still, not a single one of them would be useful in a real world scenario. Nen bullets and projectiles are basically only useful if you are a cop or in the military. I would question the extent of the usefulness when you have to have the precision to kill of someone 3 miles away with the tip o your finger though.

Reinforcement... Ok, now this is actually useless. Enhance a sword? Get shot in the head, enhance a fist, get shot in the head. What are the practical uses of smashing stuff ultimately? If there was a job which required super strength, would you trust it to a person with it or a machine with milimetrical precision?

What good is hisoka's ability? It does not even work well when separated from her body. Deceiptful texture? Useful if you are a con artist. Electricity? Ok, you can tazer people but we just happen to have tazers for that. Nen string? Ok, that is useful as fuck. Seriously. A nen string would be inherently sterile so from a medical point of view it is beautiful. Still, it loses a bit of use when you lose contact with it... Nen bombs? Useful if you work in a mine I guess.

As far as conjuration.... A vacuum cleaner which sucks stuff infinitely? This is probably the single most useful ability since bisk's. Just aim for the dusk in the room and you got a clean house in 0.0001 seconds. Not bad at all. 10 in one weapons? Not actually useful. Chains of fury? Ok, kurapica's ability to douse is useful. We would never misplace stuff and perhaps kidnappings would be more easily dealt with. A chain to heal? Ok, it works although none of us really gets hurt that often really. Chain of judgement? Ok, I guess imposing a few on criminals could result in a drastic decrease in crime rates. It would be useful if placed on politicians too lol.

Kannon.... would be useful in a power ranger scenario for the most part.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

That is indeed a logical explanation why Bisuke's ability would rank highest in popularity if we consider "real world" situations.

However we cannot pursue this train of thought in any "real world" situations as long as nen exists. For example, the chain abilities of Kurapica which you mentioned, would not only be useful if you were a detective or for dealing with criminals- as criminals would be exponentially more dangerous and notorious given Nen. Maybe if to clarify, the voters thought if "only" they had the power of nen and nobody else in this real world, then perhaps the point is acceptable.

Anyway, that's what's so awesome about Togashi and HunterxHunter in general is because even the most seemingly unassuming abilities and stupid-sounding abilities, he plays around with to deal quite vicious damage if in the hands of an extremely skilled person with the motives.

I mean, sure, bubble-gum ability sounds really stupid to me, and I wouldn't think I could use it for anything, but Hisoka uses it in ways I could never have imagined, and kicks ass with it. Think of the possibilities if he had more bad-ass abilities, it would really be overkill.

A lot of the spiders' abilities are not actually deadly or even scary, and would really sound lame if "superheroes (of the western comic concept)" had their powers. But the creativity that Togashi put together for this manga is what makes it mind-blowing.

I have digressed a bit, as I was just again in awe of how magnificent this manga can be.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to keep things interesting, to what extent would criminals be more dangerous in a real world nen scenario? I mean, nen takes years to develop and having a good teacher is important. Criminals are not usually the most orderly or dedicated type to say the least. To what extent could a criminal develop nen like this? I doubt it could be much to be honest lol.

Now, as for hisoka, perhaps if he had a different ability he would not be as effective rather than being more effective with a simpler technique. Think about it, one of the main strengths of nen is that hatsu is highly customizable. What we have seen so far is that you make something which actually feels good for you. There is a lot of intuition in play when making a hatsu. In the end, the idea is that you have something which suits you perfectly.

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Also, when I said a real world scenario what I had in mind was basically "our" world but with people capable of using nen and without the physical capacities of people in the manga (so we do not have nenless people bending steel with their hands lol). I don't think that having nen would in itself be enough for our world to transform into HHverse. For one thing, we do not have neither the animals or magical creatures for such a thing. Now, even then, how much would people pay for a hunter in real life? I doubt there would be much use for one overall, Granted, hunting criminals would perhaps be a different game but to begin with even in the HxH world nen users are rather rare, let alone nen user criminal. In our world a job that pays would be lawyer, IT guy, an ensemble of engineering carriers and a bunch of other stuff which requires a lot of studying. Its not like many of the characters would even be possible. How could ging be an archeologist or something of the sort without studies of his own? It'd be about as absurd as every superhero in DC who are familiar with every science known to men to their greatest possible extent by the time they are 30. Such a thing would ordinarily be plain impossible with a mere single branch of science lol (take batman, time is meaningless to him and he has mastered several forms of martial arts and every science known to man in less than a lifetime. And the worst part is that robin makes the situation even more ridiculous because he does not have even 1/5th of a lifetime lol).

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chei's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I sometimes wonder if Biske is based on Togashi's wife (who's a big collector of gems and sparkly things, as she goes on and on about gemstones in the author's talk pages in Sailormoon). He would ask her what her most wanted ability was, and she (like every beauty obsessed woman would) said it's the spa service ability. Maybe Biske's transformation was 'inspired' too

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

The Hunter x Hunter Fun Corner! (Funny pictures, gifs, fan art and more!)

I'll start off by posting some HxH memes. Some of the stuff I'm about to post isn't exactly tasteful, it's actually a little crude and childish like a lot of memes, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone. Here they are:

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Uriel; June 27, 2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Hangout serves for this purpose already.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished writing a poem about Killua. I plan to write poems for at least the four main cast: Killua, Leorio, Kurapika and Gon.

I've also written poems for Vinland Saga, MD Geist , Danzo from Naruto , and Captain Sisko of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine iif anyone is interested.
    BTW I'm not a star trek fan (though I did like the movie) I just thought it be a fun poem to do.

Here is the Killua poem

http://mrsticky005.deviantart.com/ar...Poem-311218138

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys seen this? This might just be one of the greatest pieces of fan art that I've ever seen!

11. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner BlackListHunter's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrudeCross View Post
    Have you guys seen this? This might just be one of the greatest pieces of fan art that I've ever seen!

That is absolutely beautiful. Bigger version available?

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member xScar's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    That is absolutely beautiful. Bigger version available?
    Just Google Image'd the picture and was able to find a nicely sized one.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah sorry about the size. For some reason the picture is smaller than the one I have saved.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohayou is one of the best opening tracks ever on anime

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Ohayou is one of the best opening tracks ever on anime
    I hated it. But only because in my country the translation were awful, they kept that opening for each arc for no apparent reason and it was used EVERY TIME in the anime. It's a good song, THEY made me hate it. :P
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^Viz did the exact same thing with the Hunter x Hunter anime box-sets. Hearing that opening throughout the Phantom Troupe arc was killing me.... and I'm starting to feel the same way about Departure too lol.
    Last edited by Netero; July 08, 2012 at 03:19 PM.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chei View Post
    I sometimes wonder if Biske is based on Togashi's wife (who's a big collector of gems and sparkly things, as she goes on and on about gemstones in the author's talk pages in Sailormoon). He would ask her what her most wanted ability was, and she (like every beauty obsessed woman would) said it's the spa service ability. Maybe Biske's transformation was 'inspired' too
    Fans like myself speculate before that Takeuchi could be Bisuke or Neon or Kikyo . (based on his doodles before and how the characters act in his chapters). Alluka cant be the wife s/he more like his daughter (I wish she's a girl then if she's a girl its confirmed).

If I remember correctly Togashi has this little sentences at the end of the manga (ch mostly can be seen in wsj), which fans think his feelings on his everyday life. Back then he has remarkable remarks such as:
    the house (hunter exam arc, zoldyck arc)
    his honeymoon (cant remember exactly but I'm sure this is around zoldyck arc)
    wife's mood (since Zoldyck arc, beginning of York shin arc )
    children (mostly before his hiatus )
    Quote Quote:
    I went to visit my son’s classroom. I want to do it all over again from grade-school. Does no elementary school accept an adult who wants to come back?
    Quote Quote:
    Because I have two children, it is hard for me to get anything accomplished in the morning and I have many long nights.
    games (from 2006 onward)

sickness (mostly remarks from Greed Island to Chimera ant arc)
    Quote Quote:
    再来年を待たず花粉症が治りました。
    治療法は七年放置することです。
    Without waiting for next year, the hay fever in my head has healed.
    The treatment is to leave it for seven years.
    from moon-chase
    etc...

Nowadays since he made hiatus, Togashi aint that share (able) with his life anymore. Maybe becoz of the sudden buzz about their supposedly divorce (rumor from tabloids) which didnt really happen.
    I remember reading them before (a fan blog that shut down has it), but the ones in scanlated host sites has the tankobon version not the wsj version anymore. I miss those doodles.

well if anyone can post some of them here. I would be glad to read it again.

Thread Closed
Page 10 of 134 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 110 ... LastLast