Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Well, what do you think?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's fine as it is.

13 31.71%
  • It would be better as a seinen.

28 68.29%
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Would 'Naruto' be better as a seinen?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rosebunse's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Would 'Naruto' be better as a seinen?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    But maturity doesn't necessarily equate to being seinen. Some series just end up in Seinen magazines due to editorial issues or sales.
    This is very true. Sometimes, you have to trust the editor to put the title where it belongs. A writer can be a good writer but a terrible businessperson.

Quote Originally Posted by blade5468 View Post
    I disagree. I don't remember even a single mature theme in Bleach in comparison to all the shit that goes down in Naruto. I understand that it's been childish lately, but I don't recall Bleach ever even attempting to discuss anything intellectually engaging.

Have you read part one of Naruto...?
    I agree. While Naruto has one too many characters, Bleach has a small army of interesting and engaging characters who are given the chance, only to be pushed aside for ANOTHER character...and another...and another...

Second, gushing fountains of blood don't automatically mean Bleach is any better than the slightly more realistic fountains of blood scene in Naruto.

Third, if people actually read Naruto, they would find that it addresses much the same issues of politics gone awry, of hatred and all that good stuff as Bleach does. Now, of course FMA is the superior anime/manga. But just because FMA is better than both Bleach and Naruto doesn't make Bleach better.

Furthermore, comparing shoenen to seinen is often times like comparing apples to pears; they are both wonderful, but they are not the same and can be enjoyed and appreciated for different reasons.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't work as a Seinen because Naruto was written for kids (young boys particularly). However, the story itself can be entertaining for everyone much like the style of "Yu Yu Hakusho" and "Dragon Ball".

Plus, it just works better as a weekly series versus a monthly. Bleach on the other hand is another story.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Akabeth's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well it's now over one year since last post. I want to see if anyone else wants to share or modify their prior opinion.

---

As for me, if we take world events and growing use of the internet in the 2000s, I'm quite convinced Naruto could've been amongst the best comic series--if not works of modern literature--ever. It's got a great mix of fantasy elements and real world similarities to make a lasting impact. To quote an earlier post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiha_Blood View Post
    Personally Kishi is perfect as a shounen writer, the very messages he relies best are those in line with a shounen:
    friendship, trust, peace stuff and whatever.
    He severely lacks in the emotional department, since he seems to be, in fact, too simple, so I doubt Naruto would be as interesting as it is now.

Now if you are talking about the Narutoverse better suited in a seinen then yes, hell yes. The ninja world Kishi created, characters like Danzou and Orochimaru would be way too perfect in a more mature setting
    The potential depth of the story still rattles my mind today.

More specifically to this thread: if part one stayed as is, I think part two would've been better off as a monthly seinen release.
    "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." Albert Einstein

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Not only Orochimaru and Danzou, but Sasuke, Kakashi, and Itachi would have benefited immensely in a seinen setting. So would Jiraiya and Naruto, and Naruto's character likely wouldn't have regressed just to entertain the masses.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member metalia's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with OP. I think any manga, including Naruto, would be better as a seinen, just because it wouldn't be censored in any way. I think some shounen really struggle with being considered childish because of censorship.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Suzaku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Naruto is perfectly fine as a shounen, but the series is rife with potential for darker, more complex subject matter. If it had been conceived of as a seinen series, or I don't know, if Kishimoto had changed directions and taken it to the pages of Ultra Jump or something, I imagine that would have been pretty interesting.

As others have mentioned, Naruto stays pretty much in line with Weekly Shounen Jump norms and ascribes to the WSJ motto of friendship, ambition, and achievement. He also developed the series with assistance from his editor, who no doubt influenced the content and tone of the manga; most of Kishimoto's previous attempts had been considered too complex or mature for a shounen magazine.

If you look at the tradition of ninja fiction in Japan, it's typically much darker and more brutal than Naruto. And Naruto actually started out with a lot of those themes: clan rivalry, warfare, hunters and renegades, torture, interrogation, spies, assassination, etc. Even the doujutsu and kekkei genkai can be traced back to the works of Futaro Yamada, where they had considerably darker undertones involving selective breeding, deformities, and incest.

A version of Naruto more focused on the characters like Danzou and the ANBU, Ibuki and the torture/interrogation squad, Kisame, or the Hyuga and other kekkei genkai clans, would potentially have been far more interesting and, also, much more ninja-like. Those are some of the most ninja-like characters in the series.

I'd love a seinen spinoff set during the Era of Warring Clans or maybe the 1st Great Ninja War, which would have been about when the ANBU was established. A series told from the perspective of Tobirama Senju could be incredible.
    Last edited by Suzaku; October 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4