Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
Thread Closed
Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Rievehlt just smashes down walls, screw doors, hes got a monster wheel chair!

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

2. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fanatik's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shareme View Post
    I would like to know this too. Anyone can confirm this?

It says: 子供を捨ててでも続けたいと思う仕事なんだね。ハンターってそれだけすごい仕事なんだね。
    The closest translation I can come up with without making it sound completely non-English would be this: Being a hunter is a job that you want to continue doing even if it means abandoning your kid. Being a hunter must be that amazing.

Gon is a True Neutral. The "wild cards" characters fall on this alignment.
    Somehow, I always thought he would be Chaotic Good... though, I'm not sure I fully understand the alignment system if Gilgamesh is listed as Chaotic Good... I would think Gon is no worse than Gil...

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fanatik View Post

It says: 子供を捨ててでも続けたいと思う仕事なんだね。ハンターってそれだけすごい仕事なんだね。
    The closest translation I can come up with without making it sound completely non-English would be this: Being a hunter is a job that you want to continue doing even if it means abandoning your kid. Being a hunter must be that amazing.

Somehow, I always thought he would be Chaotic Good... though, I'm not sure I fully understand the alignment system if Gilgamesh is listed as Chaotic Good... I would think Gon is no worse than Gil...
    So then I guess Viz did add the part in about "being a hunter isn't for weaklings"?

Unless Viz just got a different version (is that raw from Jump or the Volumes?)

And that's the translation for the whole page, right?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member futurefrog's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Viz's version of the line seems to be more along the lines of Gon thinking that being a Hunter means being strong, strong enough to leave your family behind. It's a bit of a different message but not one in-congruent with the themes of the series.

"If you want to understand someone, find out what makes them angry."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member xScar's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt there's a different version of this page. My TEASURE v1 has this same on.

And yes, that's the whole page TL for Gon:
    Top left: Being a Hunter is a job that you want to continue doing even if it means abandoning your kid.
    Bottom right: Being a Hunter... / must be that amazing.

It's just a liberal TL. It's not surprising. I don't think it's really out of character or the themes of the series either, so it really doesn't matter...

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Unless Viz just got a different version (is that raw from Jump or the Volumes?)

And that's the translation for the whole page, right?
    This page is from the volume raw. And yep, it's the whole page translation

Quote Originally Posted by futurefrog View Post
    Viz's version of the line seems to be more along the lines of Gon thinking that being a Hunter means being strong, strong enough to leave your family behind. It's a bit of a different message but not one in-congruent with the themes of the series.
    I know you like Viz's translation of HxH, and, of course, you're free to like what you like, but I, for one, am not really a fan of it. Stylistic concerns aside, one of the reasons I'm not particularily fond of it is that they tend to change stuff in places where I personally just don't see the need to do that. Gon's line is one example. As a result, nuances get lost, sometimes it even messes things up a little... Of course, a good chunk of nuances will be lost in translation anyway, simply because of the fact that it is a translation and not the original text in its original language, but there are cases where they could've kept them but hadn't.

Off the top of my head, the way they handled the term 'Danchou'. I remember it because of many eyerolls it caused me. They simply substituted it with his given name. OK, one way to handle it, except the Ryodan members never use his name, and one time they do (Nobunaga, in particular) the contrast it creates is quite important. Their using it left and right adds a level of familiarity absent in the original. This, for example, causes the scene with Nobunaga objecting Kuroro's order to lose some of its grave implications. The phrase was something like this, 'Hontou ni sorya Danchou toshite no meirei ka, Kuroro yo.' Kuroro's name is used by one of his subjects for the first time, and it is Nobunaga's way not to simply express his doubt in his leader's orders, but to outright defy Kuroro as the leader. Just by using his name, changing that level of familiarity, Nobunaga made it clear that in his eyes Kuroro is stripped of his leader status, degraded to a simple man with no authority over Nobunaga's actions and with no immunities to being attacked if it really comes down to that. In the English version, the previous constant use of Kuroro's given name renders it impossible to grasp those implications in this scene.

Not to mention it drove the translator into a self-created hole in Kuroro's conversation with Neon when she comments how odd his name sounds, and he says to her that his comrades usually call him 'Danchou' instead of his name, to which she replies that's even weirder. Yeah, yeah, I know they found a way out by completely altering the line and having him say, 'My friends seem to like it though' or something like that, but was there any sort of need to drive themselves into that metaphorical hole in the first place? Why not just use 'boss' from the beginning as the most natural and easiest way of translating the word 'Danchou' and avoid all that convulsive dance around a simple thing like this completely?

Another thing I remember is when Kuroro calls his gang after his fight with the two Zoldycks. In Viz's version he says, 'Forget the ambulance'. In the Japanese it was, 'Kyuukyuusha wo osou na' - 'Don't attack the ambulance'. His order outright forbade the rest of his gang to touch that ambulance carrying Neon, and it's an important detail because of what Kuroro's conditions for use of the stolen abilities are: the original owner must remain alive. The ambulance must not be attacked. So the question is, why change a simple direct translation, nevertheless loaded with importance, to something that disregards that importance when there's no need? I just can't agree with that.

So in the end, I never really bought the entire Viz's version, having only a few of their volumes which I hardly ever touch, preferring to just stick with Japanese editions and collect them instead.

In all likelihood, what I said isn't going to change your mind, and I'm fine with that, but let's just say that when I want to check something, find an argument or refresh a particular scene in memory, I take my japanese volumes and never Viz's.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well just for the record I'm fine with the added line and all of Viz's translation in HxH in general.
    I ain't gonna lie. I don't understand Japanese so for all I know ALL of Viz's translation is incorrect.
    However even so the Viz translation does what I think is the most crucial element of translation:
    It's understandable. Reading the volumes is actually enjoyable and not a task.
    Sorry, I know scanlators are doing a free service and all (which I'm thankful for) and they may
    even be more accurate in the translation (not that I would know though) but when it
    comes down to clarity Viz wins hands down. Perhaps at the cost of a more liberal translation.
    But honestly that's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.

So why did I ask...
    Well because the line stood out to me and when I checked the scans it wasn't there.
    So I wondered did the scans leave it out or did Viz add it in? Looks like this time the
    scans were more accurate. But again, I still prefer Viz. I mean I did pay for it. :P

Besides...It's an awesome line. Added or not.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

This page is from the volume raw. And yep, it's the whole page translation

I know you like Viz's translation of HxH, and, of course, you're free to like what you like, but I, for one, am not really a fan of it. Stylistic concerns aside, one of the reasons I'm not particularily fond of it is that they tend to change stuff in places where I personally just don't see the need to do that. Gon's line is one example. As a result, nuances get lost, sometimes it even messes things up a little... Of course, a good chunk of nuances will be lost in translation anyway, simply because of the fact that it is a translation and not the original text in its original language, but there are cases where they could've kept them but hadn't.

Off the top of my head, the way they handled the term 'Danchou'. I remember it because of many eyerolls it caused me. They simply substituted it with his given name. OK, one way to handle it, except the Ryodan members never use his name, and one time they do (Nobunaga, in particular) the contrast it creates is quite important. Their using it left and right adds a level of familiarity absent in the original. This, for example, causes the scene with Nobunaga objecting Kuroro's order to lose some of its grave implications. The phrase was something like this, 'Hontou ni sorya Danchou toshite no meirei ka, Kuroro yo.' Kuroro's name is used by one of his subjects for the first time, and it is Nobunaga's way not to simply express his doubt in his leader's orders, but to outright defy Kuroro as the leader. Just by using his name, changing that level of familiarity, Nobunaga made it clear that in his eyes Kuroro is stripped of his leader status, degraded to a simple man with no authority over Nobunaga's actions and with no immunities to being attacked if it really comes down to that. In the English version, the previous constant use of Kuroro's given name renders it impossible to grasp those implications in this scene.

Not to mention it drove the translator into a self-created hole in Kuroro's conversation with Neon when she comments how odd his name sounds, and he says to her that his comrades usually call him 'Danchou' instead of his name, to which she replies that's even weirder. Yeah, yeah, I know they found a way out by completely altering the line and having him say, 'My friends seem to like it though' or something like that, but was there any sort of need to drive themselves into that metaphorical hole in the first place? Why not just use 'boss' from the beginning as the most natural and easiest way of translating the word 'Danchou' and avoid all that convulsive dance around a simple thing like this completely?

Another thing I remember is when Kuroro calls his gang after his fight with the two Zoldycks. In Viz's version he says, 'Forget the ambulance'. In the Japanese it was, 'Kyuukyuusha wo osou na' - 'Don't attack the ambulance'. His order outright forbade the rest of his gang to touch that ambulance carrying Neon, and it's an important detail because of what Kuroro's conditions for use of the stolen abilities are: the original owner must remain alive. The ambulance must not be attacked. So the question is, why change a simple direct translation, nevertheless loaded with importance, to something that disregards that importance when there's no need? I just can't agree with that.

So in the end, I never really bought the entire Viz's version, having only a few of their volumes which I hardly ever touch, preferring to just stick with Japanese editions and collect them instead.

In all likelihood, what I said isn't going to change your mind, and I'm fine with that, but let's just say that when I want to check something, find an argument or refresh a particular scene in memory, I take my japanese volumes and never Viz's.

Interesting.

Well like I said I'm not too picky on that kind of stuff. But I do think that was a bit informative and enjoyed it.
    Since I don't understand Japanese it would be kind of pointless of me to order Japanese volumes so for
    me it's a bit of a convenience factor with the Viz volumes. And besides I rather not pay an arm and a leg for shipping from Japan.

Anywho thanks fanatik.

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    Well just for the record I'm fine with the added line and all of Viz's translation in HxH in general.
    I ain't gonna lie. I don't understand Japanese so for all I know ALL of Viz's translation is incorrect.
    However even so the Viz translation does what I think is the most crucial element of translation:
    It's understandable. Reading the volumes is actually enjoyable and not a task.
    Sorry, I know scanlators are doing a free service and all (which I'm thankful for) and they may
    even be more accurate in the translation (not that I would know though) but when it
    comes down to clarity Viz wins hands down. Perhaps at the cost of a more liberal translation.
    But honestly that's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make.
    That's why I'm saying to each their own, and I'm cool with others liking it as long as they don't force it on me or make me buy it . Also, I agree that buying a book you can't read for a ripoff price (if we add high delivery costs) is at the very least impractical for most people and is hardly worth it.

I might also mention that the translation guidelines in scanlating and in the world of professional translations are very different. Clarity and readability that you mentioned are the defining rules for this type of translation in the pro world, so basically any kind of change is allowed as long as the general meaning is preserved and the translation gets the point across. However, the most competent tranlsations are those that change things as little as possible while at the same keeping the translation clear and readable. This can be a very challenging task.

As for scanlations... Yorkshin arc in particular leaves so much to be desired that I won't even mention it. Viz's done an almost perfect job in comparison...

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

@mrsticky005

As I've said, it all comes down to how you word it as it comes across that Gon discards those who've helped him without a second thought and without care. It's like I'm looking at Hisoka rather than Gon so my posts are all about his reluctance to part ways but he must since it's practical to do so.

Also according to this translator, the one who suggested that Gon need to have a "private" chat with his father is Killua. Probably more excuse for Gon's benefit as one of his "goals" at the end of GI arc is to introduce Killua as his bestfriend to Ging.

People who fall on Chaotic Good are those who thinks that by doing things, even if it falls on "chaotic" category, if it brings "good [of many]" afterwards then it's fine. They are the end justified the means type.

Off topic: We're talking about stuff not yet occurring on the '11 anime. No one's complaining so I guess there's no "new fan" here.
    Last edited by shareme; May 31, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic168866_1.gif

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^Yeah, I think everybody here has at least watched the 1999 anime or read the manga lol.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I'm saying to each their own, and I'm cool with others liking it as long as they don't force it on me or make me buy it . Also, I agree that buying a book you can't read for a ripoff price (if we add high delivery costs) is at the very least impractical for most people and is hardly worth it.

I might also mention that the translation guidelines in scanlating and in the world of professional translations are very different. Clarity and readability that you mentioned are the defining rules for this type of translation in the pro world, so basically any kind of change is allowed as long as the general meaning is preserved and the translation gets the point across. However, the most competent tranlsations are those that change things as little as possible while at the same keeping the translation clear and readable. This can be a very challenging task.

As for scanlations... Yorkshin arc in particular leaves so much to be desired that I won't even mention it. Viz's done an almost perfect job in comparison...
    For sure. Since you do understand Japanese I would say it makes sense for you to get the Japanese volumes.

BTW do you ever do any professional translations? Or does anybody here for that matter?
    I'm kinda curious as to what the process is. I mean is it just one person translating or a group?

That's true. The best translations are a happy medium of accuracy and clarity. But of course it is rather difficult to get both.
    Especially since often times there is no equivalent in one or the other language.

That's funny. With all the love it gets you'd think that be the arc scanlators do the BEST job on.

@mrsticky005

As I've said, it all comes down to how you word it as it comes across that Gon discards those who've helped him without a second thought and without care. It's like I'm looking at Hisoka rather than Gon so my posts are all about his reluctance to part ways but he must since it's practical to do so.

Also according to this translator, the one who suggested that Gon need to have a "private" chat with his father is Killua. Probably more excuse for Gon's benefit as one of his "goals" at the end of GI arc is to introduce Killua as his bestfriend to Ging.

People who fall on Chaotic Good are those who thinks that by doing things, even if it falls on "chaotic" category, if it brings "good [of many]" afterwards then it's fine. They are the end justified the means type.

Off topic: We're talking about stuff not yet occurring on the '11 anime. No one's complaining so I guess there's no "new fan" here.

Sure. But the fact still remains that Gon had that private chat with Ging over staying with Killua.
    It's like how Kurapika chose to capture Chrollo over saving Gon and Killlua from the Phantom Troupe.
    Of course later there was the whole hostage exchange. Now I'm not saying that Gon is bad
    because he chose Ging over Killua. Just that meeting Ging is top priority for him.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member leiatte's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Netero View Post
    ^Yeah, I think everybody here has at least watched the 1999 anime or read the manga lol.
    Actually, I haven't watched the 1999 anime, or read the manga (only read the election arc) the reason, I don't really complain about all the spoilers, is surprising because I usually complain about spoilers in sections, I would be disappointed if you guys spoiled scenes far away such as the york new arc and chimera ant arc, but the manga is pretty old, and If it wasn't for this forum, and the announcement of the new anime, I probably would have read it after it finished (the hiatus's scared me off).

Also, The fact that Hunter X Hunter is constantly on Hiatus, doesn't make me in a hurry to catch up. So Hunter X Hunter is a very special case, in terms of spoilers for me, although I wouldn't want much spoilers from far away, to still keep an air of mystery surrounding the series.

So, yes I am a new fan, and the new anime has made me one.
    Last edited by leiatte; May 31, 2012 at 11:42 PM.

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Netero's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Haha, okay, I didn't know you were a new fan. I just figured since nobody was complaining about spoilers, that most people here must of read or watched HxH previously lol. Well anyway it's nice to see the new anime is bringing in new fans
    Last edited by Netero; June 01, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

HUNTER x HUNTER
    Isaac Netero

"That's A Bad Move... Little Ant"

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leiatte View Post
    Actually, I haven't watched the 1999 anime, or read the manga (only read the election arc) the reason, I don't really complain about all the spoilers, is surprising because I usually complain about spoilers in sections, I would be disappointed if you guys spoiled scenes far away such as the york new arc and chimera ant arc, but the manga is pretty old, and If it wasn't for this forum, and the announcement of the new anime, I probably would have read it after it finished (the hiatus's scared me off).

Also, The fact that Hunter X Hunter is constantly on Hiatus, doesn't make me in a hurry to catch up. So Hunter X Hunter is a very special case, in terms of spoilers for me, although I wouldn't want much spoilers from far away, to still keep an air of mystery surrounding the series.

So, yes I am a new fan, and the new anime has made me one.
    first off it's awesome to hear that the new anime is bringing in new fans.

Though I'll try to be more careful with spoilers from now on. Just in case.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm usually the guy who does not complain about the new series, but there's one issue I want it fixed by the time we get to Yorknew arc. And that issue is Kurapika's scarlet eyes. I don't mind the visual effects they gave him, but I'm not satisfied with the color. It's not a solid red and almost pinkish color. I really hope they'd fix this issue otherwise we will get complainers say they gave Kurapika girlish pink eyes instead or red eyes of evil. Here's my edit for the colors.

Thread Closed
Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast