Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Sensei no Bulge by Horikoshi Kouhei

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Sensei no Bulge by Horikoshi Kouhei

I don't understand why people are so harsh towards Bulge either. It's only seven chapters long, what is there to even judge? So far it's been entertaining, all that can be asked of a brand new manga. The Bulge world has the potential to be a big world filled with quirky, interesting characters. Hopefully Horikoshi does not rush, but patently develops his world. The best stories draw the reader into their rhythm, not rush to meet the often unreasonable demands of fans.

The fight was what it was. Anyone expecting an epic shounen battle by chapter five probably needs to reassess their expectations of manga. The aftermath of the fight was meant to be more important than the fight itself, with Tiamat admonishing Bulge for recklessly putting his life at risk. It seems Horkoshi wants to establish that Bulge can not be the typical hotheaded shounen hero and expect to live.

Glad to see the first new character show up, the girl blocking the gate to Masayle should be fun. She seems feisty, I like that. In the back of my mind I am slightly worried Bulge will be about two dudes traveling alone together. A little estrogen would be nice, maybe she can provide it. Oumagadoki Doubutsuen prominently featured a woman, that at least is a good sign for Bulge.

2. Like 7 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

So many people are disappointed at how lacklustre the plot is. I can understand because the publishers from both sides of the Pacific have given so much publicity to the manga. I'm actually glad Bulge is so boring at the moment. In fact, I'd be a LOT more worried if Bulge were outstanding right from the start.

We all know that manga series that have poor plots can't last long, as seen with Kikai Banashi and Pajama na Kanojo. But what about those manga series that have drawn us into their stories so well, only to undergo unrecoverable downward spirals? Bleach, Nurarihyon no Mago, Kurogane and Magico have come to mind for a lot of us. These manga series have given us so much at once that they start to sacrifice whatever potential they may have.

Sensei no Bulge is different. Its pace is steady right from the beginning. It's not forcing so much down our throats at once to make us so attached to the story so quickly; it's conservative with its potential. And as boring as the story may be now, it still has LOTS of potential, no matter what. I'm daring to say that Bulge has more potential than the series I've mentioned in the above paragraph, about as much potential as One Piece at least.

Some people are worried that since Bulge is so dull at the moment, the editors might decide to drop the manga soon. There's NO way they're going to let Bulge disappear after all their preparation and desperation for a new flagship manga. If the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is where the editors have introduced so many popular series to us in the past, what stops them from doing it again with Bulge? Dropping Bulge would be a tremendous shame not only to the readers, but to the publishers as well.

In conclusion, I wouldn't worry so much about Bulge. It may seem boring now, but unlike many of the underwhelming manga series in the past, it can easily get better in the future. And for once, you can rest assured that the editors can make it happen.
    Last edited by FanOfAniManga; July 14, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait. WTF are you talking about

Jump manga are canceled constantly, what "preparation and desperation" do you mean? They canceled two manga in the last two weeks alone. If Bulge doesn't poll well they will cancel it just like any other series, that is how Shounen Jump works. If it does poll well it stays, just like Jump has done for the last 50 years. If Bulge fails, something else will come along. And what do you mean by Bulge is "boring at the moment"? What the fuck are your expectations for a seven chapter manga? Seriously dude, it is brand new.

Could all the fanboys and manga philosophers please go away and let those of us capable of enjoying Bulge actually discuss the things that matter, like the plot, characters, and new characters? While I am very sorry Bulge is not to everyone's taste, I am sick to fucking death of having to discuss other people's butthurt, rather than the actual manga. Please GTFO and don't come back unless you want to discuss the manga. Your opinion has been noted, we get it, now leave discussion to those of us who like the series, or at least need more than seven chapters to make an informed decision about our entertainment. I am sick of broad generalities, time to actually discuss the manga.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 02, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I agree the last couple of chapters have been a bit boring, but Chapter 7 seems cool. I anticipate Chapter 8.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Could you be a little more specific? What exactly did you find boring, what could have been improved? Take pity on the rest of us, it is hard responding to generalities.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it strange that people thought these last chapters were boring. Sure, they didn't keep me at the edge of my seat, but they weren't boring either as we got rather unusual character development for a shonen hero ("Live!Then Rescue!"). Especially chapter 7 was great, giving us an interesting female character, who will most likely join the two on their journey (looking forward to her interactions with Tiamat), and featuring a mysterious power, which, if executed correctly, will make this world even more interesting.

Additionally, I don't know what it is, but Bulge has a certain something that makes me like it.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You know when I compared the two it's actually paced almost identically to One Piece.

Nami was introduced at chapter 8, though I suppose she had a few panels stealing stuff before that. So this introduction is right about in line pacing wise. I think people might forget that One Piece's story never really got going full steam until about the Arlong arc. Which was at around Chapter 60ish. What we're looking at right now is the foundation.

So give it some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.
    Last edited by Jammin; July 02, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Specific? Let's see...
    the arc started in the last half of chapter 4 and ended in the first half of chapter 7 for a combined 3 chapter long arc. The last half of chapter 5 and the entirety of chapter 6 were a battle with the "Boss character", if you take into account that the arc started with the raid on their carriage in chapter four that's over half the entire story arc being a battle. Especially considering how the climax of the arc hinged on that one woman, their was a chronic lack of character exposition and development. I'd like to complain that the two heroes also lack dimension outside of Astro's "Family" and Tiamat's "This boy is X, but...", I'd really like to, but we're only 7 chapters in, so I'll hold off until, oh, chapter 16 when we start nearing Jump's next cancellation meeting.
    Last edited by shukketsumaru; July 02, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it.....

Chapter 1: Introduction

Chapter 2: Chapter focused on building the story foundation.

Chapter 3: World/Charcter building mini arc

Chapter 4: Deadrock Prologue

Chapter 5: Deadrock battle beginning

Chapter 6: Deadrock battle end

Chapter 7: Deadrock Epilogue/new arc & character introduction

------------------------------------------------

And if you feel like everything is to simple and small for you check this out ....

Right now they are on a small part of big world (all of which is his kingdom if I'm not mistaken) and even that is the tip of the iceberg with trips into space a very real possibility to address the alien stuff. Most likely what we are seeing now is the prologue of something much greater. At least that's what I think...
    Last edited by Jammin; July 02, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

15. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member FanOfAniManga's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Wait. WTF are you talking about

Jump manga are canceled constantly, what "preparation and desperation" do you mean? They canceled two manga in the last two weeks alone. If Bulge doesn't poll well they will cancel it just like any other series, that is how Shounen Jump works. If it does poll well it stays, just like Jump has done for the last 50 years. If Bulge fails, something else will come along. And what do you mean by Bulge is "boring at the moment"? What the fuck are your expectations for a seven chapter manga? Seriously dude, it is brand new.

Could all the fanboys and manga philosophers please go away and let those of us capable of enjoying Bulge actually discuss the things that matter, like the plot, characters, and new characters? While I am very sorry Bulge is not to everyone's taste, I am sick to fucking death of having to discuss other people's butthurt, rather than the actual manga. Please GTFO and don't come back unless you want to discuss the manga. Your opinion has been noted, we get it, now leave discussion to those of us who like the series, or at least need more than seven chapters to make an informed decision about our entertainment. I am sick of broad generalities, time to actually discuss the manga.
    I honestly thought the editors were serious about Bulge because of the way they actually helped the author, at least from giving him pointers from what I've heard. They don't just help all authors like that, right? By "boring at the moment", I thought a lot of people thought it was because I've seen many people say it's been a rather generic story. I don't have many expectations for the manga at the moment and can accept if the manga gets dropped, but I was hoping other people wouldn't become too depressed that Bulge isn't perfect for now.

Anyways, I'm sorry if I went off topic. I want to enjoy Bulge too, and like I said, I like where things are going at the moment. I especially like the latest chapter because it's very reminiscent of the oneshot with the girl and the whale. It's fun to see Tiamat's prototype character as a whale alongside his final self.
    Check out these Wikis for info on select Jump manga:
    - ALL YOU NEED IS KILL
    - ASSASSINATION CLASSROOM
    - BEELZEBUB
    - ILLEGAL RARE
    - WORLD TRIGGER

Questions, comments or suggestions?
    Send a PM here, or an e-mail at fanofanimanga @gmail.com.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The newest chapter was pretty good imo. The whole "I want to get stronger" thing may be overused in shonen mang's but who can say they don't enjoy power-ups for the hero? Also, Astro wanting to get stronger probably goes toe to toe with this page. An alien was shown doing some sort of special move or whatever that helped him move faster/jump higher. Then we see Tiamat saying "thats!" surprised, so I guess we can assume that what that alien did is some sort of technique probably known to Tiamat that Astro is probably going to be taught. Maybe something that's going to introduce this verse's power system? (Like Chakra in Naruto, Nen in HxH, etc). Hopefully it's really interesting and cool, something kids(and us xD) dream to have.

As for the girl, since it's the girl from the one shot I'm guessing she's going to be this manga's heroine. I hope she does help out the manga, I'm sure it will be funny seeing Tiamat interact with her. Hopefully she'll lighten up the manga and bring in some more comedy, which is lacking.

Anyways, since they're going to a pretty big city, I'm guessing that the next arc is going to be really good. Knowing Astro, he'll probably try to save the new girl somehow, maybe something like how Nami was saved by Luffy.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member vampire killer's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

WTF??? I was sure that the girl from the one-shot turn in Tiamat. And I didn`t expect to see the whale in the desert... That girl is acting very shonen. First she attack them but the she will tell the her sad story. And poor Tiamat he will have hard time with cute girl around.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tiamat just can't get a break with who he meets eh? Also, we've already got a "that power", can't wait to find out what that is

I think the manga is okay so far, but it really does have a lot of room to grow.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    Tiamat just can't get a break with who he meets eh? Also, we've already got a "that power", can't wait to find out what that is

I think the manga is okay so far, but it really does have a lot of room to grow.
    It's totally going to be flash stepping, you know it. some:

On other news, Bulge is moving rather slowly. I'm okay with that, but I want more of an even storyline. Perhaps it's that I don't like this family thing, and we were introduced to a girl who also cares about her family, setting up the potential for a cheesy romance with Bulge. I like the concept of Tico, but I need to see more. At least chapter 8 clarified how the alien duke in the first chapter made it all the way to the castle: the military had abandoned the King.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner EllisIsOnFire's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the man in astro's flash back, "astro's father" looked cool. no doubt he will show up again be it in another flash back or in person he will come back. and lol for astro ruining tiamat's plan though boohoo for the old man. i don't think he's dead though because i just can't imagine tico following astro and tiamat around only for revange. the old man will probably end up surviving to send tico off. oh and killer art.

New Reply
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast