Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sensei no Bulge by Horikoshi Kouhei

Negative Syndicate

Re: [New] Sensei no Bulge by Horikoshi Kouhei

Quote Originally Posted by Ikzer View Post
    they need series to be establishing now, and don't think they would take the axe for a while.
    Well, almost all of current Jump series are established right now; the only series aren't established are three new series that just started. So, it may be a difficult situation for Bulge.
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; May 22, 2012 at 08:17 AM.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay here is my first impression :

Art : The art is already great, and it still the first chapter so there is a room for improvement, I give that as a plus for this new series.

Story : Maybe it is reasonable for the mangaka if he doesn't want to spill too much information about Sensei no Bulge's world in the very first chapter, but like FrostyMouse already said, we need more explanation about how things work in that world. Astro as the main protagonist is a typical shounen character, has a pure heart, funny and sense of responsibility.The setting itself is not unique, alien invasion combined with political situation are just like any other manga premise combined. Also, I haven't seen the long-term goal of the main protagonist (maybe later), but since he already get what could possibly a hero get (power as a king, powerful weapon) it's nice to see how the mangaka will develop the story.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally,I don't mind the 'lack of information'.Just look at Naruto.The chakra-system,the jutsu-system,the ninja-system and the mission-system were explained much later.The first chapter did not inculde any of that. Most new series need at least three chapters to establish the basics of their world.So give it some time and don't judge too early.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Not sure whether he faked his death or not.It would make sense,since he would be able to escape better as his substitute actually believes the real prince is dead. I do think he probably survived (even though him being dead would be better,I think), but it might not have been planned by him.Just a convenient coincidence.
    It seems to convenient that he just dies in the first chapter. I am thinking he will return simply because the ensuing hijinks would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    It has potential, but I wanted more immediate explanation. I had no idea what the deal with the alien was. I mean, I get the idea that aliens invaded the planet, but that there are still human controlled areas, but the parts lacking were why the alien was there. I know he wanted the Org, but it seems a tad odd that he'd just be allowed in.
    What do you mean by allowed in? He was followed by an army, presumably the border guard did not have the strength to prevent his entry. Astro's co-workers even commented on this fact, the author is clearly foreshadowing that there are issues along the borders Astro/Bulge and Tiamat will have to deal with sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    Personally,I don't mind the 'lack of information'.Just look at Naruto.The chakra-system,the jutsu-system,the ninja-system and the mission-system were explained much later.The first chapter did not inculde any of that. Most new series need at least three chapters to establish the basics of their world.So give it some time and don't judge too early.
    It is to be expected. Even for established series there are fans who will not infer anything, they expect the author to spell everything out, not to mention not being willing to allow suspense to be built and the author to develop the story at a reasonable pace.
    Last edited by Kaiten; May 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    It seems to convenient that he just dies in the first chapter. I am thinking he will return simply because the ensuing hijinks would be interesting.
    Well, yes, we'll most likely see Bulge again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    What do you mean by allowed in? He was followed by an army, presumably the border guard did not have the strength to prevent his entry. Astro's co-workers even commented on this fact, the author is clearly foreshadowing that there are issues along the borders Astro/Bulge and Tiamat will have to deal with sometime soon.
    Even if the border guards are kind of weak, the alien was allowed to basically march up to the king's castle. That would hint that the country is incredibly weak, as the neighboring army could just march up to the castle; however, the alien says that Astro's country is about as strong as his. Now, that may imply that Tiamat and a few other elites are the only strength that Astro's country was known to possess, but allowing the enemy to march up to your castle is a vast sign of weakness. If Tiamat is as strong as the first chapter makes him out to be, couldn't the border guards have made a call (using technology and/or magic) and requested aid, instead of allowing the alien's forces to march up to the castle, and only then were the King and Tiamat made aware of the situation.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I kinda agree, the presence of this alien entering as he pleases and making ridiculous demand was the weakest part to me.

Also, in what is the art so different from Zoo ? I find that the character traits are really similar and you recognize that it is the same author almost immediately. And the aliens reminds the humanimals from the zoo.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ikzer's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Since this would be in the WSJ thread, i'll put it in spoilers:

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    Well, almost all of current Jump series are established right now; the only series aren't established are three new series that just started. So, it may be a difficult situation for Bulge.
    Spoiler show

I think that for now the pace of the series is being great. A chapter that tells you absolutely everything is boring, no suspense, no cliffhanger, no need to keep reading. But with this, all of us want to know how will Astro deal with his kid's problems, how is the weakness of Industria explained, what exactly is the Org, how they will be able to beat the aliens that, obviously, will return to attack them with reinforcements. Can you see it? The author opened a lot of stuff that need to be developed. He has told a nice beginning, a good starting point, but left enough open plots to explain later, allowing him to expand the series almost as much as he wants.

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Ikzer View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read the first chapter of Bulge and I see tons of promise.

Of course, a lot is going to depend on where things go from here but this seems like a GREAT starting point. It's got a good hero, a good concept, and good artwork. As long as it can manage to flesh out it's world in the coming chapters and establish a few good supporting characters it seems like the arrow on Bulge is pointing waaay up.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member wintercry's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
    Wow, Bulge is like a much better version of Magico/Metallica Metalluca. It's one of those "serious comedies" mentioned in Bakuman (like PCP)
    Most of Jump's series has serious humor so it's a common thing; it won't stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
    original story to boot
    The Prince and the Pauper

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Serious Sam's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show
    Thats wishful thinking but I think reborn has five to six months tops, plus I think bulge will do fine I have confidence it will be the next big thing.
    Heroes Unite!

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Sam View Post
    Thats wishful thinking but I think reborn has five to six months tops, plus I think bulge will do fine I have confidence it will be the next big thing.
    I'm not sure; it is kind of too early to conclude Bulge to be a next big thing just based on one chapter.
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; May 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Serious Sam's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure; it is kind of too early to conclude Bulge to be a next big thing just based on one chapter.
    I guess I am of a fan of his work I am just hoping his new series gets better reception.
    Heroes Unite!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been a long time since I've seen such promise from Jump. But then again, it's just the first chapter so their no point in speculating on anything outside of story content. Hope it works out.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

People, whether you liked Oumagadoki or whatever, it's only been one chapter. While I may have trashed Bulge for being uninventive, that was being harsh, and saying that Bulge has amazing promise and is the "next big thing" is also going overboard. The truth is that we need to see more chapters to get a better feeling for the story. It could go up, or it could sink like a lead weight. With Kurogane and Magico struggling at the moment, there's more room and/or time for Bulge to succeed than some other series have gotten lately, but Bulge could stay around, but still be poor. There are always going to be things to love or nitpick about a new series, but until we see more, it's all just thoughts and opinions.

I personally hope both Kurogane and Magico survive, but I highly doubt that that'll happen.

New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast