Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Sensei no Bulge by Horikoshi Kouhei

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Sensei no Bulge by Horikoshi Kouhei

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I would like to know what you liked about it Jam? Aside from it having potential and good art I don't see anything that makes it really interesting. The chapters in the middle were mostly boring and there isn't anything that would make it different to most other fighting/adventure shounen series. Given more time it may have become something better but all bad or decent fighting shounen released in the last few years were mercilessly killed by the japanese WSJ readers. And yeah, Bulge was better than a lot of the other new ones but still nothing that I would call more than decent.
    What I liked about it was mostly it's set up and potential. Which allowed me to get excited about the story it was telling.

From my perspective the best comparison would be One Piece. It started small and seemed like, if given time, it could increase the scale. It had a world to explore and then after that could use that world as a foundation to step out into the universe where the only real limits would be the author's imagination. This is similar to the way in which One Piece started in east blue, moved to west blue and then entered the new world building things as it went. Not every manga is set up to do that long form stuff.

It wasn't without it's flaws. I frankly never loved the Org idea, bit to much of a free power-up for my tastes, the space whale seemed a little gimmicky, and neither of the two supporting cast members that were introduced seemed like anything worth getting excited about.

It also had firm strengths though. Astro's "Whitebeard style" focus on Family, the author's willingness to actually kill off people endeared it to me quite a bit, and the broad scope allowed for such a high ceiling.

----------------------------------------------

I would have liked to see where it took it's plot in 30 chapters or so, because even One Piece took a while to really build up it's momentum as a story, but the reality is it just didn't do well enough for that to happen; so I guess we'll never know if that potential could have been realized.
    Last edited by Jammin; November 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually liked this last chapter a lot. It's a pity that Japanese readers did not appreciate it as much as some of us did, I wanted to know how things play out from now on, as I saw lots of potential in this series. But well that's Jump for you.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tame's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn, I was just starting to really enjoy Sensei no Bulge; I thought the last arc's story and the art were great. Boo for it being cancelled!

New Reply
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9