Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210

View Poll Results: Favorite One Piece Arc

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Morgan

0 0%
  • Buggy the Clown

0 0%
  • Baratie

0 0%
  • Arlong Park

5 4.07%
  • Baroque Works (Whiskey Peak - Little Garden - Alabasta)

9 7.32%
  • Drum Island

0 0%
  • Jaya

1 0.81%
  • Skypaeia

11 8.94%
  • Davy Back Fight

2 1.63%
  • Water 7 - Enes Lobby

50 40.65%
  • Thriller Bark

4 3.25%
  • Sabaody

6 4.88%
  • The Whitebeard War (Amazon Lily - Impel Down - Marineford)

32 26.02%
  • Fishman Island

0 0%
  • Punk Hazard

3 2.44%
New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Favorite Arc!

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ukimix's Avatar
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Arc!

I like so much Eines Lobby and Baroque Works... I hope the Kaido's arc, which would cover in the end also Punk Hazard, should have to be even better...

---------- Post added February 16, 2013 at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was February 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I think Fishman Island is underrated. It was a very intelligent arc, Oda's message about intolerance was very well said. I especially like that Hodi himself had no grudge against humans, using intolerance instead to justify his own wicked agenda. That is very insightful, and closer to the mark than is common, when pop culture tackles the subject. Not my favorite arc, but overall, very well done. I enjoyed Fishman Island more than Skypeia, which I found to be the most generic of the series. Skypeia and Davey Back Fight are my least favorite arcs. Water 7/Enes Lobby, Sabaody/Amazon Lily/Impel Down/Marineford were my favorites. Punk Hazard I have enjoyed a great deal. Other than Law giving Caesar his heart (plothole), I enjoyed everything about the arc.
    I have a different reading of One Piece: I don’t interpret it as if it were written to give us any moral messages. On my view it's written only for our pleasure. So, I dont read as if it were links between what happens in One Piece world and our world. I go to OP world sometimes to laugh, sometimes to escape, sometimes to know what will happen next. But I don’t see in what happens there, messages about what happens here.

Maybe for that, FI arc was one of the worst. If I have to find its value inside the whole plot, and not for his relation with the intolerance in a world like ours, I can't give it much credit. Besides the fact that provided us with important data about Fisher Tiger, Otohime, the poneglyth and Shirahosi, there are no much there, in terms of an exiting action. That doesn’t happen, to my eyes, with arcs like W7 or BW: they are as good that they create their own exiting world and meanings.

But that's just my view and my way to read it. Something good about the good literature is that you can interprete it in different ways. There is no such thing as The true interpretation.

Btw, I guess your post belongs better to this thread.
    Last edited by ukimix; February 16, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome to ignore any deeper meaning in the story, that is your business, not mine. If all you want from One Piece is escapism, that is up to you. What I most enjoy about One Piece is that there is some literary depth. Oda has something to say about individualism, tyranny, freedom, and acceptance. It's a smart manga, that is what sets it apart from most other action manga. It speaks to Oda's greatness as a mangaka that One Piece also is an exciting adventure story, and fully satisfying for those uninterested in looking deeper. I happen to enjoy both the depth of storytelling, and the exciting adventure.

I happened to enjoy the Fishman Island arc for it's depth of storytelling. Oda's intentions were fairly blatant. The majority of the arc was deeply focused on the conflict between humans and fishman, and the intolerance it had bred. I also happened to think he said it very well, and very clearly. It was not my favorite arc, but I do think it is unfairly maligned.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 17, 2013 at 12:04 AM.

4. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe you are right, tolerance and the peaceful acceptance of a diference are something that this world needs in deep.

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Because, what is the point to write a story about tolerance if its readers don't accept the fact that there are different and valid interpretations of a story? And, be sure, we don't need a speech about deeper meanings to understand that neither interpretation is the true one. Because, talking about isms, the specch about the deepest meaning of a story is one of the many faces of absolutims and fundamentalism. Something that in its very essence is fully irrational.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Life is not always subjective, reality is more than the sum of personal opinion. Denying that something is there, or not seeing it, does not make that something go away. Claiming that the only valid truth is personal is a hollow argument, devoid of any real meaning. Any who wish to debunk, disclaim, or debate must be prepared to present empirical evidence to support their argument. In absence of evidence, claiming that there is no one truth is an invalid argument, and petty. Present evidence supporting your opinion, from the source. If you can not, be content in your opinion, but cease this discussion immediately. Be content in your opinion, but lacking any evidence, do not ever again attempt to pass it off as some sort of empirical truth. And never again attempt an argument as intellectually lazy, in the face of textual evidence to the contrary. The truth is never absolute, perception must always be challenged. But that challenge may only come from valid, empirical observation. Let rigor and knowledge decide the truth, not whimsy or anything as capricious as personal opinion. No one is entitled to an opinion, and like the truth, opinion must always be subject to constant scrutiny.

Please, and with all due respect, do not ever again attempt to debunk my statement, or that of anyone else, only on the ground that the truth is a matter of interpretation. Present textual evidence as factual counter-argument. Do not twist, bend, or misquote. Let the text shape your argument, do not Gerrymander the text only to support your opinion. If escapism is what you want from One Piece, that is an entirely valid opinion. But do not ever, for any reason, again attempt to pass off your opinion as some form of truth, without presenting clear evidence to support your claim. If your truth can not be supported without contradicting the source, consider it proof your argument is not true.
    Last edited by Kaiten; February 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone who's complained or disliked Fishman Island arc read the entire arc again? Although I still think it was bad, it's much better reading in one go.

the arc is mainly about the conflict between humans and the fishmen, as well as how Luffy is slowly changing their opinions of humans. Strawhat Pirates have made many fishmen reconsider their negative viewpoints towards humans other than Whitebeard, and I think Oda is trying to tell us to not judge everyone for the action of few (or I guess majority?).

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I had two real problems with the arc. Hodi Jones was a terrible villain. Oda personified extremism well, but that did not make Hodi terribly interesting. The arc itself was also missing the sense of levity usually seen in even the most serious One Piece moments. It's almost as if the entire arc was frowning. Part of what made the confrontation with Big Mam so fun, was how at that moment Oda injected the humor and warmth back into the series. Much of that had been missing at Fishman Island. There still was much to like at Fishman Island. I loved the Otohime flashbacks, she and Fisher Tiger so well personified the struggles of the Fishman. Shirahoshi was a great character, Jinbe is always a welcome presence. The fighting was well scripted, and excited. The arc was flawed, no question about that. But I still think it's held in unfairly low regard. It's not a great arc, but not horrible either.

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

The Orohime flashback bored me. It was probably good in terms of writing/story quality, but it was basically boring. Probably because I don't find the story as interesting without Strawhats, I guess. Hodi wasn't interesting at all either, he lacked substance. Arlong was what he was because of firsthand experience, while Hodi hated humans just because he was taught to or because of arrogance. Felt as if his only purpose was to show how much stronger Luffy's gotten since fighting Arlong, considering he was still able to fight Hodi without being too uneven despite drugs.

Country
    Colombia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Life is not always subjective, reality is more than the sum of personal opinion. Denying that something is there, or not seeing it, does not make that something go away. Claiming that the only valid truth is personal is a hollow argument, devoid of any real meaning. Any who wish to debunk, disclaim, or debate must be prepared to present empirical evidence to support their argument. In absence of evidence, claiming that there is no one truth is an invalid argument, and petty. Present evidence supporting your opinion, from the source. If you can not, be content in your opinion, but cease this discussion immediately. Be content in your opinion, but lacking any evidence, do not ever again attempt to pass it off as some sort of empirical truth. And never again attempt an argument as intellectually lazy, in the face of textual evidence to the contrary. The truth is never absolute, perception must always be challenged. But that challenge may only come from valid, empirical observation. Let rigor and knowledge decide the truth, not whimsy or anything as capricious as personal opinion. No one is entitled to an opinion, and like the truth, opinion must always be subject to constant scrutiny.

Please, and with all due respect, do not ever again attempt to debunk my statement, or that of anyone else, only on the ground that the truth is a matter of interpretation. Present textual evidence as factual counter-argument. Do not twist, bend, or misquote. Let the text shape your argument, do not Gerrymander the text only to support your opinion. If escapism is what you want from One Piece, that is an entirely valid opinion. But do not ever, for any reason, again attempt to pass off your opinion as some form of truth, without presenting clear evidence to support your claim. If your truth can not be supported without contradicting the source, consider it proof your argument is not true.
    First: I didn't debunk, disclaim or debate your idea about FI arc. I was only saying that I have a different perspective of it. And I even took the time to say that both ways of read are valid. That is sharing, not debating, neither debunking nor disclaiming. And of course, I'm not forced to have the perspective you have about that arc. That is one pretty esencial of the human life in democracy. As a consequence of it, I advice you to revise your concept of "denying something that is out there, or not seeing it", because to see is a conceptual function of the human brain, which means that different persons use to see different things, even when they are puting their eyes on the same objetc. That is a useful true about life also, and it's something at the base of the moral notion of tolerance.

Second: Life is not always subjective, yes, but literature and art really are. So, dont try to make of the reading of comic book something like a science. You are simple wrong about it. And claiming that what you see in FI is something that is there for everyone is just a case of absolutism. As a matter of fact, you can't provide whitin the One Piece manga a single panel to probe that Oda is giving us a message about tolerance. Simply because no character of his manga talks about our world... or show me where that happens!

Third, In my friendly previous post I share to the comunity my way to read: "I go to OP world sometimes to laugh, sometimes to escape, sometimes to know what will happen next. But I don’t see in what happens there, messages about what happens here." In your subsequent posts you skiped the parts about laugh, and about getting pleasure of reading a comic and you have been talking sistematically as I were always scaping the world in my reading of comics. I honestly don't care much about it. But since you try to teach me lessons about life, I should have to make you notice that that is rude and disrespectul towards a member of this comunity, and therefore to all members. Also is a case of partial reference that deforms what other member has been saying.
    Last edited by ukimix; February 21, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Regino's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I really loved Baroque Works arcs.
    They were simply funny and had no unnecessary lenghts in it and I really enjoyed Croc as the main villian, he was kinda different to the enemys from East Blue.
    He had a greater idea behind all his actions and took several years to prepare his dream and additionally to this his crownies were, at least for me, more unique than the ones in the later arcs.
    The later arcs were not bad, they were far away from this, but if I have to choose one, then its is this
    "It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

Henry Ford

Country
    Fire Nation
    Post Thanks / Like

Why does the character have to talk about our world in order for Oda to be giving a message of tolerance? That's breaking the fourth wall, which hasn't happened in the manga so far. Oda is likely using real world issues, possibly sending a message to the real world, by using the manga. Racism exists in the real world as well, whether in America, England, Japan, or India.

Either way, you should just enjoy the manga the way you want to. Methinks Oda didn't intent for it to be discussed so deeply, based on what I've read. More like, he wants people to enjoy reading the manga and not feel stressed, hence the silliness.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst my favourite arc is Water 7 simply due to the plot twist,
    Did anybody else feel a lot of things were being conveyed during Skypeaia?

Like the whole Atheism hints that were made comical due to Chopper's reactions like when Zoro discusses his thoughts on God?

Or how you could say the Shandian's are like Native Americans,
    The other race (forgot the name) are just oppressors forcing them out of their land etc.

That arc just rings in my head as extremely deep, and I do understand its likely Oda may not want us to feel so deeply about it haha.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes View Post
    Whilst my favourite arc is Water 7 simply due to the plot twist,
    Did anybody else feel a lot of things were being conveyed during Skypeaia?

Like the whole Atheism hints that were made comical due to Chopper's reactions like when Zoro discusses his thoughts on God?

Or how you could say the Shandian's are like Native Americans,
    The other race (forgot the name) are just oppressors forcing them out of their land etc.

That arc just rings in my head as extremely deep, and I do understand its likely Oda may not want us to feel so deeply about it haha.
    Spoiler show

But seriously, I think the main idea behind Skypiea was simply adventure, it's ROMANTIC as Cricket Montblanc said, it is one of the very few arcs that displayed one of Luffy's goals : Having a fun adventure, on an unknown island and stuff

18. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner 31TeV's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the poll options are a little strange. I don't mind all the arcs in a saga, such as Whitebeard War and Alabasta, being rolled into one, but shouldn't Jaya be part of Skypiea just so it's consistent? Also, where are Syrup Village (Captain Kuro), Loguetown, Reverse Mountain and Post-War arcs?

New Reply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6