Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: 5 Centimeters per Second

Your best Friend 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

5 Centimeters per Second

5 Centimeters per Second

Episodes: 3
    Aired: Feb 11, 2007 to Mar 3, 2007
    Producers: CoMix Wave (Creators of „The Place promised in our early Days“)
    Genres: Drama, Romance
    MAL-Rating: 8.40

Summary:

Tohno Takaki and Shinohara Akari, two very close friends and classmates, are torn apart when Akari's family is transferred to another region of Japan due to her family's job. Despite separation, they continue to keep in touch through mail. When Takaki finds out that his family is also moving, he decides to meet with Akari one last time.

Comment:

Probably one of the most heartbreaking movies out there. It's about how a romance develops over time and the chances and misses the life provides us with. Hard to say more without spoiling but it's definitely a must-watch in my opinion.

To avoid confusion, this is actually one movie but was divided into three different parts.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] 5 Centimeters per Second

Ah, I watched this one back then when I liked Japanese animated movies with bittersweet ending. I watched this after Hotarubi no Mori e (which is another animated movie with bittersweet ending).
    I didn't cry for this one (though I did for Hotarubi) but it left me with the same feeling of emptiness, tinged with a smile. I decided to watch this because I saw gif images of its ending in Tumblr, and somehow I was moved to watch it (despite already knowing the ending). I recommended this movie to my friends (who were also in the same mood for bittersweet ending) and we discussed about how this movie closely depicts the real life. We reflected on how this movie tells us that we can't have everything in life but sometimes, knowing that your beloved is out there and is fine, you can move on with your life and let go of the pain of longing.
    If this movie had ended up with the usual fairytale ending, we would have raged at it. Sometimes, we try to escape from reality with our fantasy, but this movie made us realize that there is something bittersweet about real life and it's not really bad at all.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites, but I've never watched it again after the first viewing. Guess in a way I'm missing the message it's trying to send, since I get too absorbed into the whole story, which only evoke even more a sense of futility and sentimentality in me.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Has this been released in Blu-ray format outside of Japan yet?

New Reply