Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 71

Thread: How strong is Atobe ... really?

  1. #1
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Atobe seems like Tezuka's rival -- and Tezuka has acknowledged so, e.g. , when boarding the bus from the U17 camp.

    Atobe has also had the most growth at the camp. So why is it that he is ranked below Sanada and esp. Fuji?


    Personally, I find Atobe very refreshing. In the world of geniuses and implausible techniques, his determination and insight stands out. Plus, he's got swagger and cockiness without seeming like a jerk, e.g, Ryoma.

    What are your thoughts? Where does Atobe stand on the tier list of MSers? Should we expect more growth from Atobe going forward?
    Last edited by Kaoz; May 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

  2. #2
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Fortaleza/CE
    Country
    Brazil
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    I explained my theories on other topics, so:

    Atobe >= Sanada (without BA)
    Atobe < Sanada (with BA, I'm not so sure because Black Aura wasn't showed on fully potential)

  3. #3
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Interesting take. Feel free to provide more details -- I am genuinely interested.


    The way I see it is that Atobe and Tezuka have this long-term rivalry (Tezuka has acknowledged this). Ergo, Atobe should end up near Tezuka's skill level when he is pushed to the brink. Its really hard to compare Atobe and Sanada and Fuji etc. without really having a full reveal of their techniques, so that's why I base it off Tezuka's judgment.

    Tezuka doesn't really hold rivalries. But I'm sure if you pressed him for an answer he would say Atobe.

  4. #4
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Both Yukimura and Sanada are also rivals of Tezuka. Being a rival does not mean they are equal. In PoT1, Sanada was always better than Tezuka. Sanada would have beat Tezuka in the Kantou tournament, and was also better than Atobe then. Flash forward to the National finals, Sanada is still better than Tezuka and Atobe. You're wondering why Atobe is below Sanada? Atobe was ALWAYS below Sanada. Atobe has no way of returning Rai, case closed. If Nationals Tezuka (which is arguably better than current Atobe) could do nothing to return Rai, what makes you think Atobe can? Yukimura was the only one able to return it, and even THAT was a plot hole because Rai's movement is supposed to be random and unpredictable.

    Tezuka > Atobe
    Sanada > Atobe

  5. #5
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Good points. I'm talking at a very high level that Atobe seems to be Tezuka's true rival -- even if Sanada was better than both of them.

    To provide an analogy. In pokemon you start as blue (Tezuka) and your rival is red (Atobe). Now there are a lot of people better than both of you at the start, as you say. Such as Brock (Sanada) or the Elite 4 (Yuki).
    .
    But as the game progresses we see that your rival red (Atobe) has grown along with you and toppled everyone else in that universe.

    So I guess that I feel Sanada, Yuki...they serve as fodder. Atobe -- like Tezuka -- will eventually 'join him' in the pros as he said during the U17. I feel that Atobe, more than anyone other outside player, is a pseudo member of the Seigaku club and therefore will experience the same powerups that befit the Seigaku team.

    Since we are talking about minutiae...recall that Tezuka was Singles 2 and Atobe was Singles 1 for court 5. Meaningless, I know, but still food for thought.

    And for what its worth, I would say:
    Atobe > Fuji
    Tezuka > Atobe
    Atobe = Sanada (too close...they have to play each other)

  6. #6
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Green Grin Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    I didnt know we had ranked Atobe below Fuji on here... We agree that Atobe would defeat Fuji.
    If your referring to Fayte's fanfic where they drew, its coz it was for great storyline purposes.

    ---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post
    Good points. I'm talking at a very high level that Atobe seems to be Tezuka's true rival -- even if Sanada was better than both of them.
    Baseless. Tezuka was said by Sanada to be above Sanada and Yukimura. So Tezuka began the scene being THE BEST in his age group.

    So... He never really had a rival. Tezuka and Atobe don't have childhood history flashbacks like Tezuka has with Fuji, Sanada and Yukimura.
    The rivalry seems to be for Fan-girl purposes maybe even more than Storyline.

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post
    To provide an analogy. In pokemon you start as blue (Tezuka) and your rival is red (Atobe). Now there are a lot of people better than both of you at the start, as you say. Such as Brock (Sanada) or the Elite 4 (Yuki).
    .
    But as the game progresses we see that your rival red (Atobe) has grown along with you and toppled everyone else in that universe.
    This is kinda baseless.
    Tezuka, began the series as... The man to beat.

    Sanada says that while he and Yuki were supposed to be the best of their age group in the nation, Tezuka walked in and Sanada who is best friends with Yuki and knows him well said Tezuka was likely above him.
    So he didnt really ''grow'' along with Atobe. Tezuka was the awesomeness from the start with everybody else trying to reach him.

    Fuji is someone who Tezuka himself regards as a rival of his. Not to mention he has
    Yukimura and Sanada who are famously the top of the MS Tennis World as his rivals.
    Tezuka has a fantastic backstory of facing each of them when they were kids.

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post
    So I guess that I feel Sanada, Yuki...they serve as fodder.
    Sanada and Yukimura are fodder? You HAVE to show me where it hints to this. Both Sanada and Yukimura have recieved improvement since Shin PoT and neither have been left behind.
    Yukimura was THE ONLY MSer originally deemed good enough to be on the 2nd Stringer Top 20 list.
    Sanada hits 5 at once and got a new Aura.

    A crazy and baseless statement. Im not gonna go harsh here, but you gotta talk sense on here.
    Besides Irie who walked all over your beloved Atobe, Yukimura is the ONLY 2nd Stringer who didnt have a Black Jersey Middle Schooler waiting for his match to finish.

    This is because Oni, Sanada, Mifune and whoever sure as hell knew that Yukimura was gonna kick the ass of Fuwa Tetsuhito.

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post
    Atobe -- like Tezuka -- will eventually 'join him' in the pros as he said during the U17. I feel that Atobe, more than anyone other outside player, is a pseudo member of the Seigaku club and therefore will experience the same powerups that befit the Seigaku team.
    So... Your saying Yukimura, Sanada, Akutsu, Fuji, Shiraishi won't 'join him' in the pros?? Where's your proof?

    ''pseudo member''?? No bro. Atobe will get screentime and power-ups coz he has the largest fan-girl fan base of the characters and I cant remember whether or not that is including Ryoma.

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post
    Since we are talking about minutiae...recall that Tezuka was Singles 2 and Atobe was Singles 1 for court 5. Meaningless, I know, but still food for thought.
    Its not food for thought even.

    Krauser was in Singles 3. Im sorry, but Akutsu, Shiraishi, Kirihara, Tachibana, Chitose, Ishida. G, Kite would ALL KICK THE ASS of Krauser.

    In the Nationals, Tezuka was in Singles 3. Tezuka at that point however was above Fuji.
    Sanada was in Singles 3, however he was above Niou.

    For Higa, Hirakoba played Doubles, yet Hirakoba could kick the ass of teammates Tanishi and Kai.

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post
    And for what its worth, I would say:
    Atobe > Fuji
    Tezuka > Atobe
    Atobe = Sanada (too close...they have to play each other)
    I see Lightning overcoming AK, but sure we should see them play.
    Until then I see Sanada > Atobe. In this current arc, Atobe is dying against No.9 and No.10.
    No.10 has been relaxing and Atobe has been on his back while No.9 and 10 havent broken a sweat.

    I reckon he is your fav. character but chill and look at PoT again from another perspective.

  7. #7
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    Spain
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Atobe, currently, is above both Fuji and Shiraishi. Unless Fuji gets a major power-up right now, Atobe>Fuji.

    Sanada was always above Atobe. FuuRinKaInZanRai is impossible for Atobe to return. He can't handle Rai, Nationals Tezuka couldn't and Nationals Tezuka was stronger than current Atobe. Sanada would beat easily Atobe, with or without BA. Atobe needs to get an insane power-up if he wants, at least, to get to that level. Akutsu is probably stronger than Atobe right now, we didn't see Atobe hitting 5 balls at a time since the manga started, Akutsu can probably hit more than 5 balls, probably he'd hit 10 balls. That, and the fact that he can attack from every position, are more than enough reasons to defeat Atobe. Koori No Sekai won't work on Akutsu as Akutsu's ability to move around the court makes him cover his external blind spots, but AK should still work. He'd also be able to deal with Fugue towards despair and Tannhueser (lol).

    And Akutsu, who will probably face and defeat Oohmagari or face and give a close match to Oni, that's another point in his favor. Atobe, with his current level, can't fight at No.8 to No.1 level, if he's having problem against No.9 and 10, he probably won't defeat any stronger player than those. Seriously, Konomi may have run out of ideas, what power-up can you give to Atobe? Probably he can't get any better than he is right now.

    He is inferior to Tezuka, Echizen, Sanada, Yukimura and Akutsu, and probably Fuji after power-up.

  8. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Airgrimes
    Sanada says that while he and Yuki were supposed to be the best of their age group in the nation, Tezuka walked in and Sanada who is best friends with Yuki and knows him well said Tezuka was likely above him.
    So he didnt really ''grow'' along with Atobe. Tezuka was the awesomeness from the start with everybody else trying to reach him.
    To clarify what this means:

    Both Sanada and Yukimura view Tezuka by who he was BEFORE the start of PoT1, when he regularly used PoHW. However, that was sealed the ENTIRE Kantou tournament because of Tezuka's elbow injury the previous year. When Sanada says Tezuka was probably above him, he was NOT referring to the Tezuka of the Kantou tournament, but the Tezuka that beat him years before. Sanada would have raped the Kantou Tezuka that played Atobe. The only thing Tezuka had was T-Zone and Zero-shiki before the Nationals. It wasn't until Tezuka entered the National tournament that he reverted back to his "true abilities," like Sanada said during Tezuka's match with Kite.

  9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #9
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LetalHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Country
    Spain
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,475
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fayte View Post
    To clarify what this means:

    Both Sanada and Yukimura view Tezuka by who he was BEFORE the start of PoT1, when he regularly used PoHW. However, that was sealed the ENTIRE Kantou tournament because of Tezuka's elbow injury the previous year. When Sanada says Tezuka was probably above him, he was NOT referring to the Tezuka of the Kantou tournament, but the Tezuka that beat him years before. Sanada would have raped the Kantou Tezuka that played Atobe. The only thing Tezuka had was T-Zone and Zero-shiki before the Nationals. It wasn't until Tezuka entered the National tournament that he reverted back to his "true abilities," like Sanada said during Tezuka's match with Kite.
    Sanada was trolling everybody during the entire Kantou tournament and in the National tournament until the National finals. If he used Rai against Echizen, then Echizen would have lost badly. In fact, he should have shown it, Konomi should have shown Sanada using it after Echizen's comeback, then to make Echizen evolve further.

  11. #10
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Good points guys. I think you've reached a consensus. Again, I like Atobe, but we have to be objective.

    For some reason when watching the anime, reading the manga, etc. it seems that Atobe is Tezuka's rival. It kind of sucks for Atobe -- you can argue he has not been pushed. Some of his notable matches include a crippled Tezuka and a sandbagging Irie, so its hard to flesh out his true potential.

    I think the PoT world is in flux. You have kawamura, oishi, and momo who are suddenly in slots 11-20...and Irie sandbagging it at 20. I wish the battles were very linear, so we could really so who are the best.

    Finally, I said that Sanada and Yuki were 'fodder'. What I really meant is that they are 'relative fodder' based solely on the fact that we've been with Atobe longer. Heck, crippled or not, Atobe/Hyotei was Tezuka's first actual challenge. Sanada and Yuki are introduced only later and they come from different regions. Its possible that if the show would write out Yuki or Sanada before phasing out Atobe.

    And yes. I am biased. I said it before. In the world of geniuses pulling out implausible techniques, Atobe's techniques are realistic and I think the author has fleshed out his character better than say Fuji or Sanada.

  12. #11
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Atobe is probably as strong as Sanada. I'd even go so far as to say he's even stronger, just because he can tough it out longer than Sanada.

  13. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Country
    Thailand
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,351
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by LetalHawk View Post
    Sanada was trolling everybody during the entire Kantou tournament and in the National tournament until the National finals. If he used Rai against Echizen, then Echizen would have lost badly. In fact, he should have shown it, Konomi should have shown Sanada using it after Echizen's comeback, then to make Echizen evolve further.
    He did. Muga only copy tech user seen. And we saw Echizen using a part of Rai during his match with Yukimura. Rai is sealed before match with Tezuka and Echizen wasn't there during the epic match. Go figure.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

    If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

  14. #13
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brandnewkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    United States
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ken- View Post
    He did. Muga only copy tech user seen. And we saw Echizen using a part of Rai during his match with Yukimura. Rai is sealed before match with Tezuka and Echizen wasn't there during the epic match. Go figure.
    Right. Sanada helped Ryoma regain his memory and in that off-screen match it is suggested that Sanada revealed the Rai move. Yukimura even says "You showed him that?" after he uses it against him.

  15. #14
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Country
    United States
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandnewkid View Post
    Atobe is probably as strong as Sanada. I'd even go so far as to say he's even stronger, just because he can tough it out longer than Sanada.
    Right. Also to illustrate that Atobe and Sanada are comparable -- that they should be in the same conversation -- consider that Atobe and Sanada formed the doubles pair.

    And here's a quote from the wiki:

    Sometime before Seigaku's National Quarterfinal match against Hyoutei, Sanada had a match with Atobe, who traveled to Rikkai to challenge him. Sanada was in the process of crushing Atobe, until Atobe finally perfects his new move- World of Ice (later first shown in the Singles 1 match against Ryoma). Both Sanada and the onlookers were shocked, but Sanada wanted to continue to play though he did not know what knew trick Atobe developed. Yukimura, however, witnessing the match, steps in and ends it, telling Sanada that if it had continued, then Sanada would have lost.

    So no, Sanada has not always been better than Atobe.

  16. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fayte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Country
    United States
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,758
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: How strong is Atobe ... really?

    Quote Originally Posted by fdsjkl View Post

    Sometime before Seigaku's National Quarterfinal match against Hyoutei, Sanada had a match with Atobe, who traveled to Rikkai to challenge him. Sanada was in the process of crushing Atobe, until Atobe finally perfects his new move- World of Ice (later first shown in the Singles 1 match against Ryoma). Both Sanada and the onlookers were shocked, but Sanada wanted to continue to play though he did not know what knew trick Atobe developed. Yukimura, however, witnessing the match, steps in and ends it, telling Sanada that if it had continued, then Sanada would have lost.

    So no, Sanada has not always been better than Atobe.
    And then when he played Tezuka in the finals, it was revealed that Sanada had Rai and In up his sleeve the entire time. So yes, Sanada has always been better than Atobe.

  17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts