Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Ichigo part quincy?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darth Executor's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Ichigo part quincy?

I know it's a bit out there but so far Ichigo has acquired every type of power encountered. He starts off as a shinigami, then acquires hollow powers, then fullbring. All that's left is for him to learn some quincy crap. We know next to nothing about his mother so maybe she was a quincy and that's how Ishida's dad and Ichigo's dad know each other.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Glassjaw003's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Ichigo part quincy?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    I know it's a bit out there but so far Ichigo has acquired every type of power encountered. He starts off as a shinigami, then acquires hollow powers, then fullbring. All that's left is for him to learn some quincy crap. We know next to nothing about his mother so maybe she was a quincy and that's how Ishida's dad and Ichigo's dad know each other.
    I wouldn't think so, but that isn't a bad point. I was thinking along the lines of past generations of teams. For instance, Ichigo, Orihime, Chad, and Ishida. Before it was, Isshin, Ichigo's mom, Chad's dad or grandpa, and Ishida's dad.

We know that Ichigo's mom has been attacked at least twice. Once when Ichigo was in the womb, another when he was a young boy and she died. Ichigo's powers were supressed, my guess is, the hollow attacked her for her power not Ichigo's. She could have got her powers like Orihime, from just being around Isshin, but nothing says she's not like Orihime but instead a Quincy. This still makes Ichigo half human half Shinigami.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, my issue with this is that "quincy" powers are not in itself an inborn inherent trait such as shinigami, hollow or fullbring powers (although fullbring is technically just an extension of ichigo's original hollow powers IMO rather than an acquisition of sorts). Quincy powers are acquired traits, they are learned and mastered through practice and whatnot. As far as we know, there is no indication that quincy powers are in any form inherent to the user. In this regard, there is nothing in particular stopping ichigo from actually learning how to use quincy powers. The issue at hand is that we have yet to see ichigo take "quincy 101" lessons at all.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, my issue with this is that "quincy" powers are not in itself an inborn inherent trait such as shinigami, hollow or fullbring powers (although fullbring is technically just an extension of ichigo's original hollow powers IMO rather than an acquisition of sorts). Quincy powers are acquired traits, they are learned and mastered through practice and whatnot. As far as we know, there is no indication that quincy powers are in any form inherent to the user. In this regard, there is nothing in particular stopping ichigo from actually learning how to use quincy powers. The issue at hand is that we have yet to see ichigo take "quincy 101" lessons at all.
    Hollow powers aren't inherited either. Anyone can become a hollow. I'm not sure shinigami powers are necessarily inherited either. Rukia and Renji were pretty much nobodies.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not say inherited, I said inherent. Ichigo's powers are an inherent part of him, they are not a foreign factor nor acquired abilities. We saw that much with zangetsu and shirosaki who are but a part of ichigo. Quincy powers in turn are different, they can be learned as far as we know, you do not have to have them from the get go.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cracker's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not so sure it isn't something you have to be born with....yes training is factor but its more likely that Quincies were born with the ability to absorb spirit energy/pressure (and materialize it into weapons < the training part)

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity NAM61's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i think his mother was in the interview about this arc said we will find out about her past and her death. hinting her dead and past will be important or she did not die exactly as we think or something happen.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member cracker's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been out of the loop for a while, would you give me a link to the interview. Also is this arc only suppose to last only 2 years?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity NAM61's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

post 19 under the spoiler tag there where it is all translated

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=397305&show=0

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cracker View Post
    I'm not so sure it isn't something you have to be born with....yes training is factor but its more likely that Quincies were born with the ability to absorb spirit energy/pressure (and materialize it into weapons < the training part)
    Well, at least the manga has not implied that you have to have quincy abilities before being able to use them. There is also this very important chapter.
    http://www.mangareader.net/bleach/482/9

This guy was an arrancar and even then he was using quincy techniques. If we take a look at shinigami, hollows, hybrids, arrancar and fullbringers, they all have abilities they were pretty much born with. Their abilities are only natural to them. Quincy do not have that, they learn how to use their weapons which are at large independent of them (ishida changes bows every arc). They don't even fight using their own power, they take a bunch of it from the outside. I think this is simply meant to be another contrast with shinigami. Quincy fight with techniques and abilities which are not natural to them contrary to shinigami who fight with techniques and innate abilities they are born with.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the last chapters I would say that Ivan was Quinci, but he used the same technique as Quilge and absorbed a Hollow or an Arrancar to get stronger thus he gained his phycical traits the same as Quilge.
    You can think of it especially according to Ivan's reaction on Ichi's suggestion that Ivan is an Arrancar.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ivan was actually an arrancar, it was outright stated and we actually saw how the recruiting process worked. I don't think he was ever whatever the current quincy are. In particular, we had that comment about whether arrancar were valuable warriors right after the emperor shot the two arrancar.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I did not say inherited, I said inherent. Ichigo's powers are an inherent part of him, they are not a foreign factor nor acquired abilities. We saw that much with zangetsu and shirosaki who are but a part of ichigo. Quincy powers in turn are different, they can be learned as far as we know, you do not have to have them from the get go.
    His hollow powers are acquired though, even if not through training. We don't know if quincy powers can be learned or not. You need to train them to develop them, but that's true of shinigami, hollow and fullbring too. It's possible anyone can learn them. It's also possible that you need to do more to acquire or inherit them.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Mayumura's Avatar
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Ichigo won't be fullpart Quincy, but he will learn some Quincy's tricks to resist their ability to swallow reiatsu. In this way they wont able to suck his bankai and he can fights against em.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mayumura View Post
    I think Ichigo won't be fullpart Quincy, but he will learn some Quincy's tricks to resist their ability to swallow reiatsu. In this way they wont able to suck his bankai and he can fights against em.
    Ivan already tried to seal his bankai and failed, so he can fight against them as is. The fact that the captain level visored are 5, the same as the special war potentials number suggest that visored are already immune to that trick and the king/stern ritter leader's conversation hints that they suspected that already.
    Last edited by Darth Executor; June 06, 2012 at 12:15 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast