Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tower of God Chapter 99 Discussion/100 Predictions

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkLordOfKichiku's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tower of God Chapter 99 Discussion/100 Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I'm unsure about this as well but I can't really imagine Baam not helping <___<
    Well, the old Baam would have helped for sure. The new one? Dunno... The only things that doesn't seem to have changed about Baam is his unwillingness to kill.. and his ability for being a chick magnet

In his blog post about the chapter he stated that there isn't a strict protagonist, not even Baam (who ultimately will be the driving force though). I agree with you that Wangnan lacked some things but that might be because he hasn't had the chance to shine on his own. At the start of ToG the focus was mainly on Baam while Wangnan shared the chapters with a lot of different people. I'm pretty sure as soon as we know more about his reasons and he gets more time to shine on his own he will be a pretty nice character - we already caught glimpses of it last chapter
    Oh, he has said that? Well, then I understand... And well, yeah, we're still early into this, so Wangnan hasn't got a lot of opportuny to show off his badassness as much as Baam, though he does indeed jhave his moments as you say

I so hope for it, Lurker will face a lot of pain <__<
    We can only hope...

Don't forget that Love (still) gives Baam the chance to choose his teammates. I seriously doubt he will choose Prince, he might even decline a Zahard princess. Rest of the group seems likely though.
    Hmm. The only thing we know for sure is that he'll have to choose 7 teammates... Still, any other than Prince or Yeon would be one of those we don't know much if anything about yet, correct?

well I'm relatively sure they take notice of northerncolors scanlation so that might lead to loosing some motivation to finish it fast :/ on the other hand I'm always looking forward to their blog post translation (which was another really interesting and long one). I'm more comfortable with their names too as northern sticks with the romanised korean names I'm not really used to.

And never forget that it's their effort that made ToG popular, I'm always thanking them for the release
    The scanlation websites seem to prefer'em too, though I'm not sure whether they apprepicate that.. <_<. Still, I prefer'em too and wish they could finish earlier... But I know all too well myself how much work it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    So begins the weary process of acclimating Baam to being with other people.
    And especially so.. Colourful a bounch of people

What I want to see now is Baam reconciling his old personality with his new one(as Viole). Basically I want to see some signs the Baam familiar to me from part 1 is a part of Viole instead of just rewritten as a different type of character entirely. As he is, I'm not very interested in the new Baam and if that doesn't change my interest in the series is going to plummet pretty soon.
    I think there's streaks of the old Baam in Viole, but he does act so differently now that it's hard to see indeed. Still, assuming he does indeed accept teammates here, he can no longer remain... Well, aloof.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLordOfKichiku View Post
    Well, the old Baam would have helped for sure. The new one? Dunno... The only things that doesn't seem to have changed about Baam is his unwillingness to kill.. and his ability for being a chick magnet

Oh, he has said that? Well, then I understand... And well, yeah, we're still early into this, so Wangnan hasn't got a lot of opportuny to show off his badassness as much as Baam, though he does indeed jhave his moments as you say

We can only hope...

Hmm. The only thing we know for sure is that he'll have to choose 7 teammates... Still, any other than Prince or Yeon would be one of those we don't know much if anything about yet, correct?

The scanlation websites seem to prefer'em too, though I'm not sure whether they apprepicate that.. <_<. Still, I prefer'em too and wish they could finish earlier... But I know all too well myself how much work it can be.

I think there's streaks of the old Baam in Viole, but he does act so differently now that it's hard to see indeed. Still, assuming he does indeed accept teammates here, he can no longer remain... Well, aloof.
    I wouldn't say that Baam is still unwilling to kill, before Wangnan entered the test Baam was standing over some seemingly dead/close to death people. But yeah there are definitely some streaks of the old Baam, he could have killed Wangnan when he found his ring with Zahard's emblem but told him instead to not lose it again.

I liked one of the theories on here saying that Baam could be testing the others to see how far they would go to climb the tower, since before they were "unqualified" to be his teammates. Now that Wangnan has essentially told Baam that he would give up on climbing the tower in order to avenge Nia, Baam may take more of a liking to him.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been slow to warm to this new group but I love them now. Particularly Yeon (the flaming klutz) and Arkraptor (the fatherly badass).

I still want Ghost Eyes, Anak, and the mighty lizardman back in the worst of ways but this new crew is solid.

I'm really looking forward to it because I'm completely burnt out on the whole "pretend not to care" thing.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abc1233 View Post
    I wouldn't say that Baam is still unwilling to kill, before Wangnan entered the test Baam was standing over some seemingly dead/close to death people. But yeah there are definitely some streaks of the old Baam, he could have killed Wangnan when he found his ring with Zahard's emblem but told him instead to not lose it again.
    About that, we aren't sure what happened there. It could be that the guy Baam was standing over attacked him first and in that case it may have been a different matter (killing in self-defense is sorta different after all). But we can't be sure. Fact is though, that he seems to avoid killing in genral:

- When Yeon attempted to stop him, he could've killed her, but he just "stopped" her instead.
    - When this room-test began, he could've aimed for getting rid of the other regulars, but instead choose the most difficult path available (going for the ranker).
    - Then there's also the fact that in the first test when he fought everyone, he could probably have killed them easily if he wanted to, but if anything, he was holding back.

I liked one of the theories on here saying that Baam could be testing the others to see how far they would go to climb the tower, since before they were "unqualified" to be his teammates. Now that Wangnan has essentially told Baam that he would give up on climbing the tower in order to avenge Nia, Baam may take more of a liking to him.
    We can only hope

I've been slow to warm to this new group but I love them now. Particularly Yeon (the flaming klutz) and Arkraptor (the fatherly badass).

I still want Ghost Eyes, Anak, and the mighty lizardman back in the worst of ways but this new crew is solid.
    Oh, I'm quite eager to see the old brigade as well, but as you say, the new bunch isn't bad either

I'm really looking forward to it because I'm completely burnt out on the whole "pretend not to care" thing.
    Yeah, hopefully Baam will emerge from his shell before this gets too old...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by masubiladin View Post
    So at this rate. The team that will be going up is:
    Baam
    Ja Wangnan
    Akraptor
    Kang Horyang
    Yeo Goseng
    Miseng
    Yeon
    Prince
    seems like it, hope the prince becomes a better character so that the fans can tolerate him

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kakashi65's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if the prince is with the group, then he will be a comical figure most of the time and a selfproclaimed love-rival to Baam for the love of Yeon

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member abc1233's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

About that, we aren't sure what happened there. It could be that the guy Baam was standing over attacked him first and in that case it may have been a different matter (killing in self-defense is sorta different after all). But we can't be sure. Fact is though, that he seems to avoid killing in genral:

- When Yeon attempted to stop him, he could've killed her, but he just "stopped" her instead.
    - When this room-test began, he could've aimed for getting rid of the other regulars, but instead choose the most difficult path available (going for the ranker).
    - Then there's also the fact that in the first test when he fought everyone, he could probably have killed them easily if he wanted to, but if anything, he was holding back.
    - Fair enough, maybe he took a liking to her?
    - I think you'll have to look at another aspect of Baam which has changed - he seems more willing to seek out stronger opponents to fight, maybe he enjoys it or maybe it's simply to get stronger in order to climb the tower. In the first test he could have taken out the weaker regulars first but instead took on the two strongest on his own, and he also asked Rapdevil if they could have a fight sometime too. As Love himself said, he may lack skills and power but he has talent and the stronger the opponent is, the more he can grow. If he decided to kill all the regulars there, would he have been able to master love's techniques?
    - I think you're overestimating Baam's current strength and underestimating the others. Fair enough Baam chose not to attack until later on, but that could have been because he wanted stronger opponents to go through the door. After he had two opponents he could have a proper fight with, I don't think he held back, remember that his power and skills are still lacking according to Love regardless of his monstrous talent.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd just rather have the old crew back. The new group just isn't as interesting. While it's probably true that the original group may have been some of the strongest regulars you'll ever find on low floors, they also had fun aspects to them. Anak, Androssi, Koon, lizardman, Hatsu, and even Ship Lesoo had just fun aspects. I liked the sleeping guy, but I can never remember his name. Yeon apparently just has an impressive amount of power because of her father, but the rest of them are noobs. I can't imagine Androssi or Hatsu losing to any of them. I still don't believe Hatsu really lost to Rapdevil, unless Rapdevil's a lot stronger than he looks. I mean, even though Quant was screwing around, Hatsu did a decent job against him. The elaborate plots and fun are just gone from the second season of ToG.

Honestly, I don't think I'll be happy unless we get the old group back; I'm just not interested in the new group. I'd rather have even more development for the old group, not some half assed development for a bunch of new people.

About the new personality for Baam, in a way, I think he adopted it to go with his new powers. The old Baam didn't want to hurt others, and by shielding his emotions, it allows him to further his goal of pursuing Rachel; in fact, I think it's the only way he can survive at the moment. Perhaps he'll soften once the new group starts moving up floors, but I just don't like the direction in which ToG is going at the moment.

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

- Fair enough, maybe he took a liking to her?
    Lol, hard to say

- I think you'll have to look at another aspect of Baam which has changed - he seems more willing to seek out stronger opponents to fight, maybe he enjoys it or maybe it's simply to get stronger in order to climb the tower. In the first test he could have taken out the weaker regulars first but instead took on the two strongest on his own, and he also asked Rapdevil if they could have a fight sometime too. As Love himself said, he may lack skills and power but he has talent and the stronger the opponent is, the more he can grow. If he decided to kill all the regulars there, would he have been able to master love's techniques?
    Okay, fair enough, one reason that he isn't killing them could indeed be that he plans to learn their powers, though that's kinda ambiguous at the time.

- I think you're overestimating Baam's current strength and underestimating the others. Fair enough Baam chose not to attack until later on, but that could have been because he wanted stronger opponents to go through the door. After he had two opponents he could have a proper fight with, I don't think he held back, remember that his power and skills are still lacking according to Love regardless of his monstrous talent.
    Okay, maybe I'm overestimating him, but he's still acknowledged as the strongest of this bunch of regulars and appears to have no trouble handling them or their tricks (with the exception of Wangnan's bombs, though if Wangnan tried it on him again, I bet he'd be prepared now...). But you're defintively right that I'm underestimating the others.. Especially since we've seen now that it appears that they didn't use all of their power (though the same can probably be said for Baam too).

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I'd just rather have the old crew back. The new group just isn't as interesting. While it's probably true that the original group may have been some of the strongest regulars you'll ever find on low floors, they also had fun aspects to them. Anak, Androssi, Koon, lizardman, Hatsu, and even Ship Lesoo had just fun aspects. I liked the sleeping guy, but I can never remember his name. Yeon apparently just has an impressive amount of power because of her father, but the rest of them are noobs. I can't imagine Androssi or Hatsu losing to any of them. I still don't believe Hatsu really lost to Rapdevil, unless Rapdevil's a lot stronger than he looks. I mean, even though Quant was screwing around, Hatsu did a decent job against him. The elaborate plots and fun are just gone from the second season of ToG.
    I like them. I mean, Androssi and Anak are my favorite characters so obviously I want them back quite badly; but it took a little while for both to achieve that status for me. Sui doesn't seem to do fast paced character work.

I've always questioned the wisdom of restarting part 2 by focusing on a whole new cast (It completely lost the momentum the story had going.) but for better or worse it's the way things are. And I'm reasonably happy with the new core group given how little time we've had with them. The only one of the apparent "keepers" that I have reservations about is Wangan. I don't think I'm nearly as invested in him as I'm supposed to be (I do not care about him..at all).

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    Honestly, I don't think I'll be happy unless we get the old group back; I'm just not interested in the new group. I'd rather have even more development for the old group, not some half assed development for a bunch of new people.

About the new personality for Baam, in a way, I think he adopted it to go with his new powers. The old Baam didn't want to hurt others, and by shielding his emotions, it allows him to further his goal of pursuing Rachel; in fact, I think it's the only way he can survive at the moment. Perhaps he'll soften once the new group starts moving up floors, but I just don't like the direction in which ToG is going at the moment.
    To be fully happy I need Androssi and Anak back, there is just no getting around that for me. But I feel like these new people can keep me content until we get them back, provided Baam can hold up his end, and serve as he did in part 1 as a kind of nucleus for other characters to latch onto.

As long as he is unable to serve as that nucleus the general character dynamic just seems like a big mess. That's the part about this direction I have not liked. Baam as an irregular collecting an odd assortment of different people without even really meaning to is such a huge part of the appeal of Tower Of God and Baam, as a solitary member of the dark organization FUG, gained combat powers and stylishness at the cost of those peculiar qualities that made him so special. Baam was a little pebble that could start a rock slide. Viole so far has just been a larger rock with smaller implications.

I'm not at all happy with the direction part 2 has taken up to this point but I feel like Baam/Viole joining up with Wangan's crew is the first step in, what I consider to be, a more interesting direction; and hopefully recapturing a bit of what made part 1 so good.
    Last edited by Jammin; June 17, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I like them. I mean, Androssi and Anak are my favorite characters so obviously I want them back quite badly; but it took a little while for both to achieve that status for me. Sui doesn't seem to do fast paced character work.

I've always questioned the wisdom of restarting part 2 by focusing on a whole new cast (It completely lost the momentum the story had going.) but for better or worse it's the way things are. And I'm reasonably happy with the new core group given how little time we've had with them. The only one of the apparent "keepers" that I have reservations about is Wangan. I don't think I'm nearly as invested in him as I'm supposed to be (I do not care about him..at all).
    I know what you mean. SIU needs to show some reason to make a whole new cast for the start of season 2. I mean, he keeps trying to tell us that this should be all about Wangan, but I don't care about him, nor the story take focus off of Baam. He shouldn't even be suggesting that Baam shouldn't be the protagonist because ToG is Baam's story, not some random guy who has a Zahard ring.

To be fully happy I need Androssi and Anak back, there is just no getting around that for me. But I feel like these new people can keep me content until we get them back, provided Baam can hold up his end, and serve as he did in part 1 as a kind of nucleus for other characters to latch onto.
    I liked Androssi far more than Anak, but their dialogue was entertaining, such as when they were fighting the Beast.

As long as he is unable to serve as that nucleus the general character dynamic just seems like a big mess. That's the part about this direction I have not liked. Baam as an irregular collecting an odd assortment of different people without even really meaning to is such a huge part of the appeal of Tower Of God and Baam, as a solitary member of the dark organization FUG, gained combat powers and stylishness at the cost of those peculiar qualities that made him so special. Baam was a little pebble that could start a rock slide. Viole so far has just been a larger rock with smaller implications.

I'm not at all happy with the direction part 2 has taken up to this point but I feel like Baam/Viole joining up with Wangan's crew is the first step in, what I consider to be, a more interesting direction; and hopefully recapturing a bit of what made part 1 so good.
    Yeah, it was all about Baam inspiring others to join him and work with him to follow his goal, but in season 2, we've just seen a bunch of people who don't really have much depth in a semi-antagonistic relationship with Baam. One thing I've missed about season 2 is the lack of weapons like how we saw in season 1. Yes, the 13 (whatever the next word is) series are special weapons, although they're not necessarily the most powerful, but they are something far above what a regular on F20 should possess. The characters aren't as deep, although the characters in part 1 had much longer to develop, but Baam's not the same person. Season 2 could be to show that Baam's lost his innocence after Rachel attempted to kill him, and therefore gained a hardened exterior to show others.

We don't know whether any of the Rankers in the first season are connected with Grace, but I would think that they'd have to be. This seems to be part of the plot of our instant coffee freak, who we hopefully get to see again, and I'm curious to see how it'll connect around.

I think the only way to fix what we don't like about ToG is to have Baam's personality revert to the innocent Baam and bring back our season 1 characters, but it'll never happen like that. Baam can become a cross between uncaring hardass and naive youth, but it won't be the same.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3