Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Singing in Foreign Languages

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Singing in Foreign Languages

Do you listen to many singers who also try to sing in foreign languages? For example, a Japanese singer has a song in English, or a Korean singing in Japanese, or another out-of-box example is when I heard a Japanese singer sings in Italian. :P Do you like such kind of singers? What do you think of them?

For Asians who sing in English, for Japanese especially usually the English is pretty strange since their native accent is so strange. Korean is slightly better, though I haven't heard many Korean artists singing in English.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The_kid's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Singing in Foreign Languages

Do you listen to many singers who also try to sing in foreign languages? Yes.
    Do you like such kind of singers? I think they are amazing
    What do you think of them? Well i am inspired by them, and would like to be one like them... giving people dreams...

Spoiler show

I don't think so, sometimes it might be even better... othertimes it kindof s*cks lol hahahha xD

If you try to keep up with them, they might try to keep up with you.
    But i can't go criticise other amazing artists, i like anyone who produces music...
    though i do have a taste for good and bad so.... that's my own free opinion, here try to mimic this lol xD
    I bit my tongue in the attemph of pronouncing and speed-sing-a-long-ing lol
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by The_kid; June 06, 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The_kid View Post
    I don't think so, sometimes it might be even better... othertimes it kindof s*cks lol hahahha xD
    Really? While my native is not English, it tends to be a bit more confusing to listen to Japanese or Korean singing in English for example because there is that accent that makes it hard to understand what they want to say. So far that is what I have always found, hahaha~ XD

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been listening to some songs from Olivia Lufkin lately and her songs are amazing! She is a Japanese American bilingual singer-songwriter and she is incredibly talented. She sings both in Japanese and in English and I like her songs in both languages, whether in Japanese or in English her songs are great!

Here is one of her songs in Japanese:

Here is one of her songs in English:
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hatsuharupeace's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I've listened to a japanese group sing in French, which was pretty amazing. The accent and pronunciation were pretty much spot-on, and it sounded like a French singer. I think the problem is that some groups sing in a different language because they want to or have to (big music corps groups), which is why they don't sound as natural, whilst others have learnt that language when they were younger, so they're able to get some hint of the accent and the pronunciation as well.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m not very familiar with Yisabel (she is a popera singer), so I don’t know if most of her songs are in Korean or in English, but thanks to a K-drama I’m currently watching I was introduced to one of her songs, a song in English and…wow, her voice is so angelic and powerful, I really love her song. The song I’m referring to is the one below:

Last edited by destiny4ever; May 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

@des-chan: Even as I wait for the video to show itself, I already guessed which song you meant when you wrote "Yisabel". /fangirl-mode-on

Anyway, it is surprising for me. We're talking about somehow a historical drama, a sageuk drama mixed with fantasy, which uses a song in English as its soundtrack. Not something I'd imagine before, and quite a nice jump from the team personally speaking. Although it may be inappropriate in the eyes of others. ^^;

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    @des-chan: Even as I wait for the video to show itself, I already guessed which song you meant when you wrote "Yisabel". /fangirl-mode-on
    I didn’t know you were a fan of hers, phio-chan. She is amazing! Her voice has an ethereal feeling to it that is very special.

Quote Quote:
    Anyway, it is surprising for me. We're talking about somehow a historical drama, a sageuk drama mixed with fantasy, which uses a song in English as its soundtrack. Not something I'd imagine before, and quite a nice jump from the team personally speaking. Although it may be inappropriate in the eyes of others. ^^;
    Well…I’m glad the team behind GFB decided to take the risk and use that beautiful song. I think one of the wonderful things about music is how it can transcend the language barrier; you might not understand a word that the singer is saying, but you can definitely feel the emotions and feelings embedded in the song.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    I didn’t know you were a fan of hers, phio-chan. She is amazing! Her voice has an ethereal feeling to it that is very special.
    To be honest this is the first time I ever heard of a singer named Yisabel, haha~ It's all thanks to GFB. And no, I'm not her fan. Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4ever View Post
    Well…I’m glad the team behind GFB decided to take the risk and use that beautiful song. I think one of the wonderful things about music is how it can transcend the language barrier; you might not understand a word that the singer is saying, but you can definitely feel the emotions and feelings embedded in the song.
    I agree, it sure is something new and it worked well, which is awesome. I like how they're trying to be different and still successful in it.

New Reply