Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2012

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    So apparently after last night, Sepp Blatter has come to the conclusion that goal line technology is now a "necessity". Despite the fact that this decision is obvious and should've been implemented a long while ago, his timing could not be worse.
    I think he hates England that much . The fact that the goal line referee is absolutely more prone to mistake rather than devices is obvious. He was opposing the idea right? I don't know if goal line is a good idea or not, since some people argue that human error is what makes football game is more interesting .

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

England vs Italy. I hope both teams keep there current formations just a few changes will occur I guess. There's bound to be a red card in this game. I just get that feeling.....Ballotelli!? No Toti around thank god!
    Last edited by Bugzee; June 20, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing what mistake made referee during the match between England and Ukraine... well I don't even know what to say. We had some jokes that maybe a sexy chick has caught his attention and thus he hadn't seen the ball crossing the line, but even though it was just impossible to not see this as there are just tons of refferees at the pitch now. Man they even have one near the gate...
    Also I just don't understand Blpatter. He just looks like some crazy fanatic as he doesn't want any progress in football. Of course sometimes mistakes are acceptable, but not such mistakes. Seriously the stadium in Donetsk has Hawk-eye system. You can see every moment and at least know if someone scores goal, so you don't need to invent anything. Everything is already done, you just need to give it a try and enjoy good football. As after this mistake Ukraine (one of the two homing countries) has lost its chance to get to quater-finals. It was especially strange after remembering how Korea was given aid by refferees during 2002 FIFA World Cup...

Nevertheless it would be interesting to watch the first quater-final match between Czech Republic and Portugal. I would say and obvious thing and would choose Portugal as a supposed winner as they have better players and they showed better quality in their respective games in the group stage (even when they lost against Germany), but still it's one match and everything can happen. Especially if Czech Republic will manage to score first and then will 'use a bus to defend" (if you undestand what I mean).
    Still I hope the game will be interesting and for now I will be routing for Portugal.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Blatter has come out in support of goal-line technology after the mistakes in the Worldcup and again after this Euro's. It will most likely be in place by the next world cup, they are testing various systems to use I think. Platini as always is against it but his idea of an extra referee was flawed as seen with the Ukraine match. Besides its the IFAB will vote on it if it becomes a law and Platini has little power there if most of FIFA is for it.

The Ukraine goal is being too overplayed. If there was such technology already in place it would have shown Milevsky was offside anyway. That goal would never have counted. A bad referee call was cancelled out by another bad referee call.

Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Portugal plays better for now, but they just don't have luck as Ronaldo had several moments, but hit crossbar twice. For now the game is ok, but czechs play even better than I expected. The game is at least intrigueing for now, but it also seems that Portugal hasn't shown its best yet for now.

The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Portugal ... Portugal

8. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Portugal did another great game specially on the second half. It's the team that has been growing the most during the championship. While some of the favorites keep disappointing like Spain and France. Spain only played really well against Ireland which was the weakest team in tournment without doubt. And France seems to be having some internal issues again.

Portugal and Germany seem to me the two most consistent teams. I'd say Portugal has a bigger shot of winning than I initially thought.

And hell yeah go portugalllllllllllllllllllllllll~

10. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Portugal played well, but in the first half, they were rather shaky.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be damned if they get to the final as they'll be playing Spain in the semis if things go according to how I'd want it.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Portugal got lucky and was matched up against a team that really didn't belong there in my opinion. No one else in the tournament will be so lucky to face a team of that level.

That being said, Portugal deserved to win.

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course Czech Republic was one of the weakest among those who reached the quaterfinals. but still they deserved this place at least because they showed passion and the will to play up to the end. After a great loss by 4-1 against Russia they managed to show a great progress both in attack and defense and managed to get to quaterfinals. Of course I didn't expect them to win against Portugal, but at least they managed not to loose with some awful score. Of course Portugal and Ronaldo in particular weren't lucky and they also had Postiga injured, but still czechs also played ok and had several moments.
    If we are talking among the weakest team in quaterfinals... I would name Griece. Maybe it's because I just don't like how they play, but primarly I can't find any real game they play. I believe Germany might stomp Griece today if Germany scores an early goal.

18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Portugal got lucky and was matched up against a team that really didn't belong there in my opinion. No one else in the tournament will be so lucky to face a team of that level.

That being said, Portugal deserved to win.
    Lucky? To get this match up we needed to survive the most difficult group of all ... Denmark, Netherlands and Germany. Ofc we were matched up against one of the easiest that have made it to the next round ... but still it wasn't an easy opponent. We all knew how the Czech would play .. which was with almost all players behind the line of the ball.
    Greece isn't also that strong ...but we all know well that it might end being a difficult game for Germany ... i still don't forget the way we lost the final of the Euro 2004 in our own place ... but i think both Portugal and Germany kinda deserve to have this weaker opponents by now because the groups phase was really that difficult compared to others's groups.

Also Czech has some good players ... but the result ended being kinda small for our exhibition and our opportunities. And once again Ronaldo sends the ball 2 times to the crossbar. So far after the critics 2 excellent exhibitions .. lets hope he keeps that way. BTW great game of Moutinho ... great player that i have the pleasure of seeing playing on my team (FC Porto). Pepe once again perfect ... Coentrão also playing really well. Nani, made a really good second half. All players should be happy cuz they have been playing really well, much better than i previously had anticipated.

Now between France and Spain ... i think we would have more chances against France i think, though and year ago or so we beated Spain on a friendly game by 4-0 ... but i say France cuz it would also be the perfect time to get our revenge ... over the last competitions, they have managed to eliminate us plenty of times ... and right now even if they still have a good team, with Nasri, Ribery,Benzema ... it hasn't the quality of the France of Zidane, Henry ....

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorped View Post
    Lucky? To get this match up we needed to survive the most difficult group of all ... Denmark, Netherlands and Germany. Ofc we were matched up against one of the easiest that have made it to the next round ... but still it wasn't an easy opponent. We all knew how the Czech would play .. which was with almost all players behind the line of the ball.
    Greece isn't also that strong ...but we all know well that it might end being a difficult game for Germany ... i still don't forget the way we lost the final of the Euro 2004 in our own place ... but i think both Portugal and Germany kinda deserve to have this weaker opponents by now because the groups phase was really that difficult compared to others's groups.
    Like is often the case, this Euro's "Group of Death" wasn't as stout as it seemed on paper. I'm not even sure if that was the actual Holland team...maybe the team got replaced by clones . Denmark was a nice surprise, but they benefited from facing a Holland team that was asleep at the wheel. Seriously, one of the biggest disappointments in any competition I can remember. Funnily enough, the only team Denmark show marked improvement on attack was against Portugal, but their attack obviously wasn't enough.

So it is how the cards fell and Portugal couldn't help who they faced, but they weren't terribly impressive against the Czech Republic. I didn't say they were lucky to be there, I said they were lucky to have such an opponent for the quarterfinals. And yeah, you have to have luck in the match-ups to have a shot at winning.

Another thing unrelated though - expanding the tournament to 24 teams next year seems like such an awful idea to me. Yes it will be more to watch, but having another schizophrenic group like A where they all beat the snot out of each other, or having the potential for there no longer being any tough groups in the competition...ugh. And you can't compare it to the World Cup, there are teams who get in who are outclass by some of the UEFA teams that get left out yes. But you also have a multitude of strong teams from South America, as well as Mexico and even the US at times. I think the larger format of the WC balances things like that out. Adding more teams to the Euro...not the same.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Holland was definitely a disappointment but, it also happened because everyone studied them well. They have a terrible defense .. and also players like Van Persie, Huntellar ... weren't on the level they already showed to us before ... still it was merit of Portugal, Germany and Denmark.
    We definitely weren't impressive, but we had a lot opportunities against a team that since the beginning of the game, showed what were their intentions to the game .. which was to manage to not suffer a goal and possibly on a counter attack score. It will be the same strategy Greece will probably have against Germany.
    But so far i think that our games have been kinda interesting and our performances have been quite good, specially compared to other teams, so saying we weren't terrible impressing, though being the truth, would be the same as saying has almost no one really was until now.

If we look to Spain, they only made a good game, which was against, much likely, the weakest team that made to the final stage of the Euro ... the other games they were rather normal and nothing exciting at all ... against Croatia ,they even had to have the help of the referee to get to next phase, that doesn't see 1 penalty .. people say it was 2, but as i didn't see it i can't talk about it ... but the one i saw was clearly a penalty, with (Busquet i think) clearly doing fault..
    Can't wait for their game against France ... right now i am not 100% confident we will get to the finals but we can clearly beat both Spain or France ... i think we just have to keep playing like a team, like we have been.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't possibly suggest that people studying Holland figured them out and exploited it to such an extent? How about their team just performed poorly? If one could so easily figure out a perennial powerhouse, why hasn't anyone done the same for Germany or Spain? Why weren't they sent home early with no points?

I never said anything about Portugal's entertainment value. I've enjoyed watching them, they have many good players. Saying Portugal hasn't been terribly impressive is not the same as saying it about any other team. Germany has outclassed everyone they played. Yes, Portugal played them tough and could have won, but they didn't...

How has Spain only had one good game? This has always been Spain's M.O. Possess the ball until the opposing team cracks. How many matches did Spain play in WC 2010 where they outscored the opponent by more than one goal?...One. Only one, and they never scored more than twice a match in the entire competition. Now whether Portugal can beat either Spain or France, who knows? That's the beauty of the knockout round, someone will have to win. I'm not sure if they can beat Spain at their own game, which is how Portugal beat Czech Republic in my opinion. France? Sure they could, their team looks schizoid to me.

25. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast