Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2012

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Great game Portugal showed they can be on pair with any great team imo. Why the hell would they put Bruno Alves to try a penalty is beyond my compehension... The guy is average in game and sucks at passing the ball and kicks, they could have sent Coentrão. And Moutinho is also to blame but he did well enough in game so can't get mad at him.

Shame Well still Germany is gonna take the trophy.GO Germanyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I think it was a poor game overall. Not that poor, as there were some good moments, but the passing was not very good for the majority of the match.

I think Ronaldo was afraid to take a penalty after his failure in the CL SF against Bayern. The second that he didn't step up first, I had this feeling that we wouldn't see him taking a penalty.
    Yeah Spain was poor until the last 10 minutes in the second half. And during extra time Portugal was too scared to try anything.

I think it's kind of marketing and trying to protect the team's star, they leave them for the end so they can be considered the saviours of everything... though if you put players like Bruno Alves instead then you are making a big mistake...

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Not everything is that simple. If they decided to put Bruno Alves, they surely had their reasons. Saying to put Bruno Alves is something that will prejudice Portugal is the same as saying that for example Ramos would also prejudiced Spain, and he didn't. I mean it's the luck of penalties ... anything can happen. Even Moutinho, that was one of the best of the game failed. And so did Alonso. It's sad to loose like this ... but it's football...

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

I at first also thought Ronaldo was trying to save himself to be the hero with the last penalty but that's leaving a lot to chance and hoping that the 5 penalty would be the decisive one. In my opinion and agreeing with Frosty, I think he didn't want the pressure on him and the attention of having missed a penalty. Took Spain so long to play like their normal selves, but credit to Portugal for pushing them and exposing their game.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BBB Banana View Post
    Great game Portugal showed they can be on pair with any great team imo. Why the hell would they put Bruno Alves to try a penalty is beyond my compehension... The guy is average in game and sucks at passing the ball and kicks, they could have sent Coentrão. And Moutinho is also to blame but he did well enough in game so can't get mad at him.
    I agree. I completely didn't understand the Bruno Alves thing.

Shame Well still Germany is gonna take the trophy.GO Germanyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    Yeah, it looks like it that way. This level of Spain won't beat Germany.

Yeah Spain was poor until the last 10 minutes in the second half. And during extra time Portugal was too scared to try anything.

I think it's kind of marketing and trying to protect the team's star, they leave them for the end so they can be considered the saviours of everything... though if you put players like Bruno Alves instead then you are making a big mistake...
    I still question why defenders were taking so many penalties there. I had no problem with Ronaldo not taking the first penalty, but he needs to at least be taking the second penalty.

The most important thing is winning, not marketing or any other crap. Personal glory isn't important. I do think that Ronaldo was afraid of taking a penalty. Meireles would've taken a penalty, but he was subbed off, and then his replacement, Varela, didn't even take a penalty. Nelson Oliveira didn't take a penalty, ugh...

Drogba was Chelsea's final penalty taker usually, but we had enough good penalty takers that we just wanted him to finish the deal for us. After Drogba got himself sent off in extra time against United, Gus Hiddink had Terry take the last penalty (which we all know was probably the worst moment in Chelsea history) in order to have our Captain win it. It's not like having your star/captain/whomever take the final penalty isn't a good idea, but it needs to be finished earlier.

Schweinsteiger took Bayern's final penalty against Chelsea, which Cech finger tipped away, so you do see the star of the team often being in the position of being able to win it for their team, but in Portugal's case, there was no other big player on the field. Portugal is currently the third best team in Europe (unless Italy manage to upend Germany), but it's not the type of situation where Ronaldo can be waiting for the final penalty.

Spoiler show

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    I at first also thought Ronaldo was trying to save himself to be the hero with the last penalty but that's leaving a lot to chance and hoping that the 5 penalty would be the decisive one. In my opinion and agreeing with Frosty, I think he didn't want the pressure on him and the attention of having missed a penalty. Took Spain so long to play like their normal selves, but credit to Portugal for pushing them and exposing their game.
    Spain only managed to play like their normal selves ... when we changed Hugo Almeida for Nelson Oliveira.. he is still really young .. and doesn't has the quality for these games. I think he will be a great player but that will be in the future .. not now. With him Portugal stopped being able to hold the ball on Spain's side ... which made Spain control the game easier and being able to have more oportunities.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually think that Pedro was the one that made the difference Jorped. Pedro makes a great duo with Iniesta. Almost all dangerous plays came form him.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course Pedro made a bit of a difference, but mostly it was due to Oliveira who practically couldn't hold a ball on Spain's side, thus practically making 10 against 11.

Spain again made a badf performance. I would even say that even if I normally root for Spain, I liked Portugal in this match more. They really showed that they can be real opponents for everyone, but they didn't have luck in penalties, but Spain has more experienced team and especially they have more skilled players.
    And I was actually surprised that the game ended 0-0 not only in 90 minutes, but also in extra time.

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Mangahelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you Jorge. Honestly, performance-wise, Portugal should have gone through to the final. I can only hope that Spain will now perform well against the Germans otherwise we're in for a one-sided match (as we've seen the Germans did indeed beat Real madrid as well...).
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

I also hope we'll get something more interesting in the final be it Spain against Germany or Spain against Italy, but I hope we'll see several goals either in 90 minutes or including extra time.
    And I hope Spain shows better performance in the final.

P.S. I also hope that Torres remember that he is striker for God's sake. The same actually aplies to Negredo. As they both aren't impressive((

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

45 min in, so far I love Italy in this match. They are playing completely awesome against Germany.
    Tiger, Tiger.

15. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing this has taught everyone is Italy should have a match-fixing scandal before every major tournament.

17. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    One thing this has taught everyone is Italy should have a match-fixing scandal before every major tournament.
    Indeed, WC 82, WC 06, now xD

That was beautiful. Pirolo, Bonucci, Chiellini, Balzaretti played so awesomly. And for once Balotelli actually performed. I have a tear in my eye. Spain vs Italy is the perfect final and hopefully both teams will bring it. The Italian defence really brought the best EC attack to a halt.
    Tiger, Tiger.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member predsfan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can all agree the final is just a little more interesting with Mario Balotelli in it . There's just something about him that I can't help cheering for him. I love that guy. It's even gotten to a point where I may have to start rooting for Manchester City.

Anyways, that was an entertaining match, and I would say more entertaining than every match since the quarterfinals started combined. I think it really helped that Italy got the lead early and Germany had to push towards the end (and more importantly had the capability to push, unlike France/Czech Republic/Greece against their respective opponent). That 2 goal lead for Italy never felt really safe (even in added time). Here's hoping Italy can keep it up, but more importantly I hope the game doesn't go to PKs. I hate when important games are decided like that, especially when the game is for the championship.
    This Post Available in Double Vision [Where Drunk]
    "I am the man with no name. Zapp Brannigan at your service."

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say this was the first time Germany faced an actual challenge. Portugal sucked at the beginning. No need to mention the Dutch. Denmark wasn't a big deal and Greece was good, but not good enough to compete with Germany. So it seems Italy was a little too much for this young team, though I think they needed this. They were way too confident before the game and hopefully learned their lesson now. I think they will get their time to shine fully in the next World Cup.
    As I thought it's Portugal and Germany fighting for third place now,just like in the WC 2006.Haha.

Looking forward to Italy vs Spain. Hopefully Spain will play with more passion this time. Italy will push them a lot, so either they'll overrun Spain or actually spark some fighting spirit in Spain,making it an interesting match.

Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Googlez_kun View Post
    I'd say this was the first time Germany faced an actual challenge. Portugal sucked at the beginning. No need to mention the Dutch. Denmark wasn't a big deal and Greece was good, but not good enough to compete with Germany. So it seems Italy was a little too much for this young team, though I think they needed this. They were way too confident before the game and hopefully learned their lesson now. I think they will get their time to shine fully in the next World Cup.
    As I thought it's Portugal and Germany fighting for third place now,just like in the WC 2006.Haha.

Looking forward to Italy vs Spain. Hopefully Spain will play with more passion this time. Italy will push them a lot, so either they'll overrun Spain or actually spark some fighting spirit in Spain,making it an interesting match.
    There won't be such game ... third place is only at worldcup. And if you say Portugal sucked at the beg, it's the same as saying Germany was a bit, but just tiny bit better than that

Fuck Spain ... i will root for Italy. Not that i like any of those in particularly ... but always Spain starts to piss me off. So i will root for Italy. And Spain defeated my team on the penalties .. ofc i am pissed with them .. they wouldn't even be at this stage if it wasn't the clear help they had against Croatia with at least an obvious penalty.

Not that i really care .. but i definitely think i will hope for Italy's win... Pirlo btw, what a player. If this keeps like this, and Italy wins he will be considered the best player of the Euro.

New Reply
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast