Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Euro 2012

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UEFA Euro 2012

That's fine for a sentimental pick, but you really think Netherlands won't go to the knockout stage?

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some faith in Portugal. They always shine in moments of huge pressure. I remember their matches against England and Netherlands in Euro 2004 and Germany world cup in 2006 (funny they beat both countries in these two competitions when they weren't really the favorites) those weren't easy games but they made it trough and reached the finals of euro 2004 and semifinals of world cup 2006.

Sure some great players like Ricardo Carvalho, Deco, Figo and Simão have retired and their coach is not as good as Scolari was but they have some great new players like Pepe, C. Ronaldo, Fabio Coentrão, Nani. I think that with a better coach they could go very far. (Maybe in a far away future Mourinho decides to coach the portuguese team)

In the last world cup they were eliminated early cuse they faced the champion spain but even then some new players were quite the surprise like Fabio Conetrão maybe this year some of their players will surprise again.

Well but yeah you can say my faith is baseless

And also I wouldn't think little of netherlands if they didn't go to the next phase cuse you can say their group is a knock out phase alredy.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BBB Banana View Post
    I voted for Russia to end first in its group and Poland Second. I believe playing at home is always a major point in this kind of competition. Remember Korea in 2002 world cup? Portugal during Euro 2004?
    South Korea was just corrupt refereeing, not South Korea's talent.

I believe my prediction for Group A will be right.
    I didn't want to believe in corrupt refereeing, but after how poor the Spanish ref was today, it's happening.

For Group B I voted Germany 1st and Portugal 2nd. Well probably because I think Germany is the favorite to win as well as spain. And Portugal Because I lived there for 10 years and want to believe they can do it.
    You only think that because you're German. Portugal will never do it. I don't even have Portugal qualifying for the knockout stages.

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

Sure some great players like Ricardo Carvalho, Deco, Figo and Simão have retired and their coach is not as good as Scolari was but they have some great new players like Pepe, C. Ronaldo, Fabio Coentrão, Nani. I think that with a better coach they could go very far. (Maybe in a far away future Mourinho decides to coach the portuguese team)

Well but yeah you can say my faith is baseless

And also I wouldn't think little of netherlands if they didn't go to the next phase cuse you can say their group is a knock out phase alredy.
    Hold on a minute. Pepe sucks. Fabio Coentrão's better than Pepe, but still not someone I'd want to be relying on in the clutch.

The WC Finalist not qualifying for the knockout stages of the Euros would be a much bigger disappointment than a Portuguese team not qualifying, which while talented, has quite a few holes. Portugal is basically all about relying on Ronaldo.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I didn't want to believe in corrupt refereeing, but after how poor the Spanish ref was today, it's happening.
    After one game you say that?

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

And agreed...Pepe is not a GREAT player. Maybe when he's playing dirty and no one notices

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

South Korea was just corrupt refereeing, not South Korea's talent.

You only think that because you're German. Portugal will never do it. I don't even have Portugal qualifying for the knockout stages.
    I think south Korea had a lot of determination that world cup and they deserved to make it that far. I always like to root for underdogs and was quite happy for them getting 3rd place.

Agree today we had some referee mistakes but I don't think it was a case of corruption just games interpretation. Sure the red card for sokratis was unfair but I don't think it was corruption. Just the heat of the moment. And about the penalty I don't think it was a penalty either.

I'm not German lol I just have its flag because I'm rooting for it
    Portugal has the second best player in the world and a decent defense. A foul play from any team near the great area could lead to a goal from C.Ronaldo. Nani is also a good striker and a counter attack could lead to a goal of his. Portugal is being underestimated by lots of people I think.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    After one game you say that?

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 AM ----------

And agreed...Pepe is not a GREAT player. Maybe when he's playing dirty and no one notices
    Gary, did you see that link I posted of that ref's disciplinary record this year? http://thewall.co.uk/topics/27981-football--referee

Even disregarding that, those were three very questionable first half decisions: the two yellows, which weren't necessarily even fouls, and the non-handball penalty call.

Pepe, like some other questionable defenders, isn't amazing, but at times gets the job done through less than honest means.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hold on a minute. Pepe sucks. Fabio Coentrão's better than Pepe, but still not someone I'd want to be relying on in the clutch.

The WC Finalist not qualifying for the knockout stages of the Euros would be a much bigger disappointment than a Portuguese team not qualifying, which while talented, has quite a few holes. Portugal is basically all about relying on Ronaldo.
    I think Pepe is a good player sure very violent and a sore loser but he's good when he's got his head cool.

I don't really care about seeing a world cup finalist reaching the finals of euro... sure if they play a good football go ahead, but it would be much more exciting to see something new and surprising rather than some repeat of last world cup...

As I said sure he's violent, but so are players from netherlands.... and that is most of the team not just a single player.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think south Korea had a lot of determination that world cup and they deserved to make it that far. I always like to root for underdogs and was quite happy for them getting 3rd place.
    Have you forgotten about all of those disallowed goals, which allowed South Korea to possess in matches that they fairly lost?

Agree today we had some referee mistakes but I don't think it was a case of corruption just games interpretation. Sure the red card for sokratis was unfair but I don't think it was corruption. Just the heat of the moment. And about the penalty I don't think it was a penalty either.
    If Ronaldo got a penalty out of incidental handball contact (especially when there was no one else around and the defender's arm was unlucky to touch the ball) in the 2nd leg of Bayern vs Madrid at the Bernabeu, then there's no way that Greece's play wasn't worthy of a penalty.

I'm not German lol I just have its flag because I'm rooting for it
    Portugal has the second best player in the world and a decent defense. A foul play from any team near the great area could lead to a goal from C.Ronaldo. Nani is also a good striker and a counter attack could lead to a goal of his. Portugal is being underestimated by lots of people I think.
    That's terrible. I'm a France supporter, but it's not like I change my flag. I spent the entire spring in Germany though.

It's only because Portugal needs to overcome one of Germany or Holland in order to qualify for the knockout stage. If Portugal were in any other group, I'd say that they would be a shoe in to qualify, but they're in the group of death. Say Portugal had gotten to play in Group A or in France and England's group, they would've easily qualified. Portugal could surprise us all, but they just haven't been overly convincing as of late.

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

That Just shows that referee likes to give out a lot of red cards not that he's corrupt. I think he's just a bad referee...

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Pepe is a good player sure very violent and a sore loser but he's good when he's got his head cool.

I don't really care about seeing a world cup finalist reaching the finals of euro... sure if they play a good football go ahead, but it would be much more exciting to see something new and surprising rather than some repeat of last world cup...
    Well, it's about being a team of sustained quality. Spain's been the best team in the world for four years, the 09 Confed Cup aside, but people don't go all out in that anyway.

As I said sure he's violent, but so are players from netherlands.... and that is most of the team not just a single player.
    It's not just about the violence with Pepe. I feel that he gets caught out in big moments, which can often lead to Madrid conceding. Considering that Portugal's team is inferior to Madrid's, moments like that be even more harmful for Portugal. Admittedly, most international squads aren't as good as their club teams, with the exception of Spain.

Yeah, some of Holland's players do not deserve to be on a football pitch, such as Nigel De Jong. Howard Webb just didn't want to send someone off at that point, but that was the worst offense that didn't earn a red card that I've ever seen. Xabi Alonso literally went flying.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

That Just shows that referee likes to give out a lot of red cards not that he's corrupt. I think he's just a bad referee...
    Of course he's a terrible referee, but what could convince UEFA that he was a good referee in their first place? He handed out 12 yellows and a straight red in a match once this year.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the commentators mentioned that he gave out something like 17 red cards this season yeah. But that's one referee and one match, so I'm not going to make a blanket statement like that.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: UEFA Euro 2012

Banana, the reason I thought that the ref was a bit corrupt was that, apart from the obvious professional foul, he basically didn't make any decisions in Greece's favor. He wasn't throwing yellows at Poland, nor did he give one of Poland's players a yellow for a rather rash two footed challenge that found none of the ball.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 AM ----------

I suppose I was also insinuating that a lot of La Liga's refs are corrupt, but they're honestly just bad, not corrupt. :P

Spain's not Italy or anything.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

So you're going to discard the send off Szczęsny got?

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you forgotten about all of those disallowed goals, which allowed South Korea to possess in matches that they fairly lost?

If Ronaldo got a penalty out of incidental handball contact (especially when there was no one else around and the defender's arm was unlucky to touch the ball) in the 2nd leg of Bayern vs Madrid at the Bernabeu, then there's no way that Greece's play wasn't worthy of a penalty.

That's terrible. I'm a France supporter, but it's not like I change my flag. I spent the entire spring in Germany though.

It's only because Portugal needs to overcome one of Germany or Holland in order to qualify for the knockout stage. If Portugal were in any other group, I'd say that they would be a shoe in to qualify, but they're in the group of death. Say Portugal had gotten to play in Group A or in France and England's group, they would've easily qualified. Portugal could surprise us all, but they just haven't been overly convincing as of late.
    I don't really remember the stuff with korea as it has been 10 years already but I was happy for them.

Well every referee has a way to deal with things this one just thought it wasn't a penalty but we arguing over it won't change much as it's already in the past and we diverge in this point.

Well I'm just supporting a team I like nothing wrong with that. I'm not denying my country or anything as it isn't even taking part in the Euro.

If you consider the winners of a group of death as if they are set in stone is not a group of death anymore... really it's just another group... I think this group is way more open than the others.

Well, it's about being a team of sustained quality. Spain's been the best team in the world for four years, the 09 Confed Cup aside, but people don't go all out in that anyway.

It's not just about the violence with Pepe. I feel that he gets caught out in big moments, which can often lead to Madrid conceding. Considering that Portugal's team is inferior to Madrid's, moments like that be even more harmful for Portugal. Admittedly, most international squads aren't as good as their club teams, with the exception of Spain.

Yeah, some of Holland's players do not deserve to be on a football pitch, such as Nigel De Jong. Howard Webb just didn't want to send someone off at that point, but that was the worst offense that didn't earn a red card that I've ever seen. Xabi Alonso literally went flying.

Of course he's a terrible referee, but what could convince UEFA that he was a good referee in their first place? He handed out 12 yellows and a straight red in a match once this year.
    Not sure if it's just my impression but Pepe always does better for Portugal than he does for Madrid. He did great every time he played for portugal. Same can't be said for madrid but you know if Mourinho trusts him who are we simple mortals to question his value as a player?

Well I haven't watched the match so I can't say anything about it but it's not the match with the most cards in history that one was funnily enough between portugal and netherlands in world cup 2006 it had 12 yellow cards and 4 red ones (and I watched this one and can say it was completely fair)... so it's not completely impossible for a referee to give that many cards if needed.

Have you by chance watched the said game with 12 yellows and one straight red?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

So you're going to discard the send off Szczęsny got?
    I said that that was the one good thing he did all day.

I don't really remember the stuff with korea as it has been 10 years already but I was happy for them.

Well every referee has a way to deal with things this one just thought it wasn't a penalty but we arguing over it won't change much as it's already in the past and we diverge in this point.

Well I'm just supporting a team I like nothing wrong with that. I'm not denying my country or anything as it isn't even taking part in the Euro.

If you consider the winners of a group of death as if they are set in stone is not a group of death anymore... really it's just another group... I think this group is way more open than the others.
    That's fair enough. It's not like I have anyone to support as an American.

I suppose that at that rate, it's not really a group of death, but as all four members rank in the top 10 according to FIFA rankings, it's ostensibly a group of death.

Not sure if it's just my impression but Pepe always does better for Portugal than he does for Madrid. He did great every time he played for portugal. Same can't be said for madrid but you know if Mourinho trusts him who are we simple mortals to question his value as a player?
    Whenever I see Pepe play, it's always poorly. I cannot say that I've seen him play well, so I'm not sure about Portugal vs Madrid. The Special One can go jump off a bridge. :P

Well I haven't watched the match so I can't say anything about it but it's not the match with the most cards in history that one was funnily enough between portugal and netherlands in world cup 2006 it had 12 yellow cards and 4 red ones (and I watched this one and can say it was completely fair)... so it's not completely impossible for a referee to give that many cards if needed.

Have you by chance watched the said game with 12 yellows and one straight red?
    That was actually one of the only matches in WC 06 that I missed. I was still in high school at the time and I was at a summer music camp during the middle of the WC. While I managed to watch most of the matches, I was unavailable during it. I remember seeing some of the highlights, and indeed, that was one of the most violent matches ever and the cards were all warranted.

No, I haven't watched it. I might try to go find it. It wasn't just about that one match, it was more than he handed out something like 16-17 red cards and 178 yellow cards in 29 matches. That's just crazy. You've got to be looking to give out cards to give out that many.

In today's match, the first yellow card was just a normal header. It's fine if you want to call a foul, but he might've been the only ref in the world who would've pulled out a card for that.

If you've noticed, Howard Webb's gone away from being a card giver. I watched some of his matches at the end of the Premier League and they were actually quite well refereed. I still have problems with him awarding United two penalties when they were losing 3-0 to us, but that's a different story. I didn't watch all of Russia vs the Czech Republic, but I thought that he reffed the match pretty well today. I like how he's letting people play and doesn't just look to pull out cards nowadays.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast