Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 2003

Thread: Growing Like Fingernails

... 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a neverending debt.

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    You took noticed of it though...lulz (Nuno trying to fit in )
    Yeah of course. But I'm exaggerating. It wasn't that bad, but it was noticeable.

I know you are joking, but I wasn't trying to fit in. Most there talked American after all. Anax who talked like crazy too (obviously) has a flawless American accent (which I used to have too... I lost practice).

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I can be that way on my own, I was just poking fun. But no, I've seen you do the same thing to her and I think it's cute and even admirable.
    But other people don't think so. :| Every time I try to correct someone's grammar/pronunciation, they always give me either panic expression or eye-roll.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    The funny thing is that it is hard to find someone who speaks fully Indonesian. We always mix it with the local language.

The thing is that even Indonesian people think that Indonesian has no grammar. It's just that bad. Some foreigners who study Indonesian told me that they are confused in learning Indonesian because we seemingly don't care for subject, predicate and stuffs. Not to mention that they have a hard time to learn Indonesian since every Indonesian people is not talking full Indonesian.
    Ah, so then it's sort of a pidgin or creole anyways. Interesting. But I think all languages can be like this. English is sort of a hodgepodge anyways.

LOL, so it's even worse than someone who learns a foreign language elsewhere. My grandfather once told me how some of his service-mates who went to Japan were taught Japanese by a younger woman and when they would go out and try to speak with locals they would laugh and make fun of them because they were all burly men from the Navy, but spoke like a Japanese woman

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally, but when I heard her for the first time I was shocked. She was flattered that I thought she sounded Australian, but after a while I could notice a SMALL hint of something that wasn't Australian.

I guess that's where native terms come in as well. I sort of look as Australians as an analogue to Southerners here and I think foreigners would have the same difficulty understanding some of their accents.
    I am more amazed at people whose accent will never change no matter where they are and how great the influences around them.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Yeah of course. But I'm exaggerating. It wasn't that bad, but it was noticeable.

I know you are joking, but I wasn't trying to fit in. Most there talked American after all. Anax who talked like crazy too (obviously) has a flawless American accent (which I used to have too... I lost practice).

Was I joking? lol

You think Anax doesn't have an accent? I'd say he is one of the more fluent non-English speakers I know, but I still notice an accent.

But other people don't think so. :| Every time I try to correct someone's grammar/pronunciation, they always give me either panic expression or eye-roll.
    I guess it depends on the time and place. But since you are her friend and do it for the right reasons, hopefully, then yes it has more worth than just annoyance

I think it would be different if you were both native English speakers and insisted on correcting her English.

Panic expression?

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I am more amazed at people whose accent will never change no matter where they are and how great the influences around them.
    Those exist too. It's odd. I still think if there are enough years there can be at least some notable difference though.

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw yuki, this is an example of one of the better accents of Norwegian IMO. Ignore the guy in the duet, I'm talking about the woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7Tg16_1Ss

Both have Western Norwegian accents though. And yeah, this sounds really different compared to Eastern (regular) Norwegian. I think Norway is one of the countries with the most diverse accent spread in the world. It has its origin in old times when towns were divided by mountain ranges and had little to no contact. We have accents that sound completely broken, but are only used by a very, very small faction.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

The accent influence factor is actually really interesting. During our mod meet in Belgium, I was seriously influenced by goldb's British and to some extent blai's. I started mixing up my default American accent, mostly because it was fun at first, but after a while I did it automatically, speaking a sort of mix. It was really strange and I was surprised no one mentioned it. However I basically reverted right away after they both left. I can speak both no problem, but since American English is more normal here (although we are taught British English in terms of writing.....) I landed there.
    American English is so much more common, huh? It's funny that American accent is mostly the default accent for people who is fluent in English. I really want to be able to talk more in British accent, but people won't be able to understand since it's not that common. (But we're also taught British English for writing here... ) I have a friend whose default accent is British and I sometimes have difficulty understanding her English.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

Ah, so then it's sort of a pidgin or creole anyways. Interesting. But I think all languages can be like this. English is sort of a hodgepodge anyways.

LOL, so it's even worse than someone who learns a foreign language elsewhere. My grandfather once told me how some of his service-mates who went to Japan were taught Japanese by a younger woman and when they would go out and try to speak with locals they would laugh and make fun of them because they were all burly men from the Navy, but spoke like a Japanese woman

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Was I joking? lol

You think Anax doesn't have an accent? I'd say he is one of the more fluent non-English speakers I know, but I still notice an accent.
    Of course you were

To me Anax sounds pretty much like a regular American. Maybe he has gotten better since last you talked, maybe not. I recall he got several comments in Belgium for his fluent American too. I think from Nicole and perhaps Tiff.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I can be that way on my own, I was just poking fun. But no, I've seen you do the same thing to her and I think it's cute and even admirable.

I know people like to treat me like a punching bag, but some people, and I mean SOME people consider me intelligent and well-spoken
    Aww, really?

Why? Don't tell me you have Chinese blood too.
    Could it be, Dorakun....

You don't?
    Nope. Parents didn't give any. I bet you still do?

I actually want to learn to play gamelan but the class was only available for our kouhai in high school.
    Hoo, I didn't expect that coming from you.

The accent influence factor is actually really interesting. During our mod meet in Belgium, I was seriously influenced by goldb's British and to some extent blai's. I started mixing up my default American accent, mostly because it was fun at first, but after a while I did it automatically, speaking a sort of mix. It was really strange and I was surprised no one mentioned it. However I basically reverted right away after they both left. I can speak both no problem, but since American English is more normal here (although we are taught British English in terms of writing.....) I landed there.
    That's interesting. I'm also easily affected with accent and language. My hometown has their own language and accent, different from where I'm staying for uni now. So when I got home it'd be weird at first, then I'd change my way of speaking, return to uni place, and change again. XD

Neither for me. For me it's.. acceptance. /a halo on her head

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on the time and place. But since you are her friend and do it for the right reasons, hopefully, then yes it has more worth than just annoyance

I think it would be different if you were both native English speakers and insisted on correcting her English.

Panic expression?
    Yes. Because I tend to have this auto-correct mode when listening to my friends' presentation. Because we're in English major, of course we have to speak English all the time in class. But then, some of my friends is still bad in pronunciation. I get annoyed easily when I recognize a mistake in pronunciation so I will unconsciously say the correct pronunciation right there and then (I swear I'm not consciously doing it, I just blurt it out without thinking). Because my friends are in the middle of presenting, of course they get panic.

Those exist too. It's odd. I still think if there are enough years there can be at least some notable difference though.
    Amazing, huh? I have a friend like that. We came from the same city, moved to this place at the same time, and spent the same amount of time living here (5 years), but I started to talk in local accent just in three months and until now, she's still talking in our birthplace's accent.

Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so incredible, I agree. I don't understand how you live in a country for 20 years and still sound like a broken record. Every time I am in Portugal, I work on perfecting my accent to sound exactly like a Portuguese. I pretty much think I sound completely normal, but I bet a Portuguese can pick up a wrong tone here and there. But in general I hate sounding too "unskilled" in speaking a language, and thus work on my speech a lot when I find new challenges. If I notice that a word I spoke in e.g. Portuguese sounded out of the ordinary, I will reflect and practice on it until I make it click.

American English is so much more common, huh? It's funny that American accent is mostly the default accent for people who is fluent in English. I really want to be able to talk more in British accent, but people won't be able to understand since it's not that common. (But we're also taught British English for writing here... ) I have a friend whose default accent is British and I sometimes have difficulty understanding her English.
    Weird, huh? I recall my English teacher in Junior High spoke American English, and was nagging at me for mixing the two up when I was writing. I felt like she was being unfairly strict with me and giving me lower grades (4/6) than I deserved when I was better than anyone in my class at actually talking and understanding English. Then I decided to blow her mind when we had a Shakespeare roleplay (Hamlet) and pull off a nearly perfect British accent. After that she only gave me top grades... luls.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Btw yuki, this is an example of one of the better accents of Norwegian IMO. Ignore the guy in the duet, I'm talking about the woman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG7Tg16_1Ss

Both have Western Norwegian accents though. And yeah, this sounds really different compared to Eastern (regular) Norwegian. I think Norway is one of the countries with the most diverse accent spread in the world. It has its origin in old times when towns were divided by mountain ranges and had little to no contact. We have accents that sound completely broken, but are only used by a very, very small faction.
    Oh? Sissel Kyrkjebø? I know her. I actually like to listen to one of her songs: Lær Meg Å Kjenne, and I've learned how to sing it.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course you were

To me Anax sounds pretty much like a regular American. Maybe he has gotten better since last you talked, maybe not. I recall he got several comments in Belgium for his fluent American too. I think from Nicole and perhaps Tiff.
    I merely meant that I can tell he isn't American. Maybe not at first listen, but I can tell. Maybe because I'm American, I don't know. I actually know a Greek girl who's exactly the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post

Aww, really?
    Your friend is trying to save you the embarrassment and you facepalm here...pssh . Sort of reminds me of people who wish to improve their English by talking with me and then get annoyed when I correct them because something is wrong or sounds funny to my ears ...ungrateful

That was funny...nice one

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I know people like to treat me like a punching bag, but some people, and I mean SOME people consider me intelligent and well-spoken

English and Spanish. But they can't be compared really, I would take some time to get my bearings if I was dropped in Madrid and had to fend for myself
    You? Intelligent and well-spoken?

On a serious note, I have to agree that actually you're really smart and well-spoken, but I assume that people are more familiar with your funny persona.

I see, I think it is important to learn Spanish especially in the US. I wonder is that true that the majority of American who is interested in learning another language is declining because they speak English?

No, not really. Japanese is heavy with nuances, and the way you address yourself is very important. Bahasa, on the other hand, does not really similar to Japanese in terms of making differentiation between a "man" language and a "woman" language. The problem with Bahasa is quite difficult to be taught to foreigners is because we do not consciously learn the grammar and most daily use of this language is heavily influenced by slang words. You may be able to speak formal Bahasa, but that sounds really, really weird, since even the state officials do not stick to rigid Bahasa grammar when they are speaking in front of public.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes. Because I tend to have this auto-correct mode when listening to my friends' presentation. Because we're in English major, of course we have to speak English all the time in class. But then, some of my friends is still bad in pronunciation. I get annoyed easily when I recognize a mistake in pronunciation so I will unconsciously say the correct pronunciation right there and then (I swear I'm not consciously doing it, I just blurt it out without thinking). Because my friends are in the middle of presenting, of course they get panic.
    LOL, you do it while they're in front of class? Oh geez...

Amazing, huh? I have a friend like that. We came from the same city, moved to this place at the same time, and spent the same amount of time living here (5 years), but I started to talk in local accent just in three months and until now, she's still talking in our birthplace's accent.
    Maybe because you made a conscious effort? Maybe your unconscious effort sufficed

Thread Closed
Page 74 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 ... LastLast