Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 2003

Thread: Growing Like Fingernails

  1. #1111
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    ......

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Nope. Parents didn't give any. I bet you still do?
    I do have it. Liu Ki Ye, if I'm not mistaken. I only know how pronounce my Mandarin name, but not how to write it.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Hoo, I didn't expect that coming from you.
    Really? I do like traditional musical instruments.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    That's interesting. I'm also easily affected with accent and language. My hometown has their own language and accent, different from where I'm staying for uni now. So when I got home it'd be weird at first, then I'd change my way of speaking, return to uni place, and change again. XD
    I used to be able to change accent twice in a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Neither for me. For me it's.. acceptance. /a halo on her head
    acceptance? Hah. more like eye-roll.

  2. #1112
    SCHWING LORD 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Norway
    Posts
    23,812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Oh? Sissel Kyrkjebø? I know her. I actually like to listen to one of her songs: Lær Meg Å Kjenne, and I've learned how to sing it.


    I'm not shocked, but this is surprising. How well do you think you sing it?

  3. #1113
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    This is so incredible, I agree. I don't understand how you live in a country for 20 years and still sound like a broken record. Every time I am in Portugal, I work on perfecting my accent to sound exactly like a Portuguese. I pretty much think I sound completely normal, but I bet a Portuguese can pick up a wrong tone here and there. But in general I hate sounding too "unskilled" in speaking a language, and thus work on my speech a lot when I find new challenges. If I notice that a word I spoke in e.g. Portuguese sounded out of the ordinary, I will reflect and practice on it until I make it click.
    For me, I sound very much like an American when I'm speaking here. But when I go to Singapore, my English turns bad. Dunno why.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Weird, huh? I recall my English teacher in Junior High spoke American English, and was nagging at me for mixing the two up when I was writing. I felt like she was being unfairly strict with me and giving me lower grades (4/6) than I deserved when I was better than anyone in my class at actually talking and understanding English. Then I decided to blow her mind when we had a Shakespeare roleplay (Hamlet) and pull off a nearly perfect British accent. After that she only gave me top grades... luls.
    LOL~ When I'm talking to my lecturers here, I use American accent because some of them are real American and the rest also talks in American accent. Only when I'm fooling around or as in your case, practicing a play, that I use other accents. Mostly British or Italian. As for writing, I tend to use British since that's the one I've been taught since I was a kid, except when I'm writing for my lecturers.

    ---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Your friend is trying to save you the embarrassment and you facepalm here...pssh . Sort of reminds me of people who wish to improve their English by talking with me and then get annoyed when I correct them because something is wrong or sounds funny to my ears ...ungrateful
    You understand my feeling!
    Listen to him, phio!

  4. #1114
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    You? Intelligent and well-spoken?

    On a serious note, I have to agree that actually you're really smart and well-spoken, but I assume that people are more familiar with your funny persona.

    I see, I think it is important to learn Spanish especially in the US. I wonder is that true that the majority of American who is interested in learning another language is declining because they speak English?
    You know, I'm don't really consider myself the type to respond favorably to insults from someone after their heart ...............

    I'm not going to try to make sense of it. I'll just chalk it up to being cool enough to be treated like this way. Remember, something can't be offensive if it's funny

    We had a choice in Middle School between French and Spanish. I think some places offered more. Then in highschool it expanded to German, Latin, and Japanese. But I went to public school, some private schools might offer more.

    I don't know if it's declining, it's required for at least a few years in the schools I went to. But the necessity to learn different languages here isn't high compared to other places in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    No, not really. Japanese is heavy with nuances, and the way you address yourself is very important. Bahasa, on the other hand, does not really similar to Japanese in terms of making differentiation between a "man" language and a "woman" language. The problem with Bahasa is quite difficult to be taught to foreigners is because we do not consciously learn the grammar and most daily use of this language is heavily influenced by slang words. You may be able to speak formal Bahasa, but that sounds really, really weird, since even the state officials do not stick to rigid Bahasa grammar when they are speaking in front of public.
    I wasn't intending to compare the two, but interesting to know.

    But it's true that slang can get in the way of any foreigner understanding a different language. I've heard the same thing for native-Spanish speakers I've talked to. But it sounds like it's even more so with Bahasa.

  5. #1115
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Weird, huh? I recall my English teacher in Junior High spoke American English, and was nagging at me for mixing the two up when I was writing. I felt like she was being unfairly strict with me and giving me lower grades (4/6) than I deserved when I was better than anyone in my class at actually talking and understanding English. Then I decided to blow her mind when we had a Shakespeare roleplay (Hamlet) and pull off a nearly perfect British accent. After that she only gave me top grades... luls.
    Hee~ I'm glad none of my English class had some kind of performance like that, I can't be bothered with the accent.

    But my organization has a regular English Club session, and last time we did "British Club" instead. Talking in British accent is so strange and kinda hard. :P

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Your friend is trying to save you the embarrassment and you facepalm here...pssh . Sort of reminds me of people who wish to improve their English by talking with me and then get annoyed when I correct them because something is wrong or sounds funny to my ears ...ungrateful
    Huh? What? It's not that I'm not grateful. Just your choice of words...

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    You? Intelligent and well-spoken?

    On a serious note, I have to agree that actually you're really smart and well-spoken, but I assume that people are more familiar with your funny persona.
    MUAHAHAHA. I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    No, not really. Japanese is heavy with nuances, and the way you address yourself is very important. Bahasa, on the other hand, does not really similar to Japanese in terms of making differentiation between a "man" language and a "woman" language. The problem with Bahasa is quite difficult to be taught to foreigners is because we do not consciously learn the grammar and most daily use of this language is heavily influenced by slang words. You may be able to speak formal Bahasa, but that sounds really, really weird, since even the state officials do not stick to rigid Bahasa grammar when they are speaking in front of public.
    Exactly. Even hard for them to interact with us as well because we are not used to the formal Bahasa, thus hard to give proper reply to help them studying. Instead we teach them informal Bahasa, haha~

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    What?

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    I do have it. Liu Ki Ye, if I'm not mistaken. I only know how pronounce my Mandarin name, but not how to write it.
    Nice. The meaning?

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    acceptance? Hah. more like eye-roll.
    No, it is not. It's truly a halo.

  6. #1116
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    You understand my feeling!
    Listen to him, phio!
    Oh my god...I can die happy now

    phio, your friend is looking out for you. Be a better friend

    ---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Huh? What? It's not that I'm not grateful. Just your choice of words...
    You don't think she's cute or admirable?

    You're a monster in an angel's disguise

  7. #1117
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    LOL, you do it while they're in front of class? Oh geez...
    Yeah. Not only in class though. Every time I hear a mispronounce (except when I'm dead tired and don't give a damn about pronunciation). That's why my friends say it's auto-correct. I do it unconsciously.

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Maybe because you made a conscious effort? Maybe your unconscious effort sufficed
    I don't know. It's not only that I can speak its accent, but I'm also fluent with the language. Just in three months.

  8. #1118
    SCHWING LORD 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Norway
    Posts
    23,812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Oh my god...I can die happy now

    phio, your friend is looking out for you. Be a better friend

    ---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

    You don't think she's cute or admirable?

    You're a monster in an angel's disguise
    Oh no, it's happening again!!

  9. #1119
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Oh my god...I can die happy now

    phio, your friend is looking out for you. Be a better friend
    Okay, okay. I don't believe that's what she meant but anyway... teehee~

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    You don't think she's cute or admirable?

    You're a monster in an angel's disguise
    Um, no. I think she was cute when we blew that small little ant at the edge of paper together, but I've seen her other deeds.

    Probably. But if I am one, this dear friend of mine is definitely one as well.

    ---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Oh no, it's happening again!!
    What?

  10. #1120
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Yeah. Not only in class though. Every time I hear a mispronounce (except when I'm dead tired and don't give a damn about pronunciation). That's why my friends say it's auto-correct. I do it unconsciously.
    I think if you worked on not doing it in class people would be more appreciative

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    I don't know. It's not only that I can speak its accent, but I'm also fluent with the language. Just in three months.
    You're better at it than her I guess? You applied yourself in that regard, you made it matter to you *shrugs*

  11. #1121
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post


    I'm not shocked, but this is surprising. How well do you think you sing it?
    Not sure. Not that good, of course. I have to listen to the song while singing it in order to get the pronunciation correctly. The only one who can judge if I sing it correctly or not is the one who speaks the language.

  12. #1122
    Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Passive-Aggressiveville
    Country
    Pyke
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,342
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Oh no, it's happening again!!
    You're a contemptible person and I hate you

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Um, no. I think she was cute when we blew that small little ant at the edge of paper together, but I've seen her other deeds.

    Probably. But if I am one, this dear friend of mine is definitely one as well.
    Deeds have a reason and purpose

    No...she's more like an angel with a devil's face. Mmmm, well, real life has ambiguity you know?

  13. #1123
    SCHWING LORD 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Country
    Norway
    Posts
    23,812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Hee~ I'm glad none of my English class had some kind of performance like that, I can't be bothered with the accent.

    But my organization has a regular English Club session, and last time we did "British Club" instead. Talking in British accent is so strange and kinda hard. :P
    I'm out of practice now, but it's quite easy to pull off if you get into it.

    Actually that play was really funny, and it boosted my grade, so why not

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    For me, I sound very much like an American when I'm speaking here. But when I go to Singapore, my English turns bad. Dunno why.

    LOL~ When I'm talking to my lecturers here, I use American accent because some of them are real American and the rest also talks in American accent. Only when I'm fooling around or as in your case, practicing a play, that I use other accents. Mostly British or Italian. As for writing, I tend to use British since that's the one I've been taught since I was a kid, except when I'm writing for my lecturers.
    I used to write British, but I've gone over to American, simply because it more often than not has shorter words xD If I write British words it's likely unintentional.

    You feel kind of out of place talking British in Norway. Everyone speaks American English. I guess a large part of the influence comes from Hollywood, to be brutally honest. People watch American movies from they're kids, and are thus influenced and get free practice from it.

  14. #1124
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,542
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Hee~ I'm glad none of my English class had some kind of performance like that, I can't be bothered with the accent.

    But my organization has a regular English Club session, and last time we did "British Club" instead. Talking in British accent is so strange and kinda hard. :P
    Try speaking Shakespeare's dialogue in British.
    It's not hard if you watch British movies in succession for days.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    What?
    You're still asking?

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Nice. The meaning?
    Obviously, Liu is the family name. I don't know about Ki, but Ye means leaf.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    No, it is not. It's truly a halo.
    Huh. Your response usually is eye-roll when I'm correcting your grammar.

    ---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Oh my god...I can die happy now
    What?

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    You don't think she's cute or admirable?

    You're a monster in an angel's disguise


    ---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    Oh no, it's happening again!!
    "What?" too!

    ---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Okay, okay. I don't believe that's what she meant but anyway... teehee~


    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Um, no. I think she was cute when we blew that small little ant at the edge of paper together, but I've seen her other deeds.

    Probably. But if I am one, this dear friend of mine is definitely one as well.
    Only that time?
    But I can be cute.

    LOL~ I have to agree with that last part. Even worse.

    ---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I think if you worked on not doing it in class people would be more appreciative



    You're better at it than her I guess? You applied yourself in that regard, you made it matter to you *shrugs*
    I can't just turn it off, you know.

    Maybe? Language is indeed my strong suit.

  15. #1125
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What a neverending debt.

    Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Deeds have a reason and purpose

    No...she's more like an angel with a devil's face. Mmmm, well, real life has ambiguity you know?
    Meh. So you're on her side now. Fine.

    While I'm a devil with angel's face... Yes, yes, definitely. I always thought it's the other way around.

    Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    I'm out of practice now, but it's quite easy to pull off if you get into it.

    Actually that play was really funny, and it boosted my grade, so why not


    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Try speaking Shakespeare's dialogue in British.
    It's not hard if you watch British movies in succession for days.
    During that club I mentioned we watched a short video of his plays: Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, and Macbeth. Comment: confusing, LOL~

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    You're still asking?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Huh. Your response usually is eye-roll when I'm correcting your grammar.
    Mm, not always.

Thread Closed
Page 75 of 134 FirstFirst ... 25 65 73 74 75 76 77 85 125 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts