Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2) , Gintama 514 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2003

Thread: Growing Like Fingernails

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What a neverending debt.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I still can't really get it when "strange" is used as a barometer, but perhaps it's the starting point of deciding something being exotic or not.
    I don't know how else to explain it. While Portuguese is consider exotic to me, it still wouldn't compare to some unknown native language of some random, tiny Pacific Island for example

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I think you mean subjective? (Wow, I feel like yuki now )
    So feeling like me means feeling like a grammar nazi?

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Liberia
    Post Thanks / Like

I did not know you girls have Chinese blood

Mm, I'm already occupied with textbooks (and *cough* manga *cough) so no thanks.

Yeah, yeah. Take responsibility.
    Hey, same here, but I could understand your excuse.

NO.

I think you mean subjective? (Wow, I feel like yuki now )

Yeah, I guess "strange" is a good barometer for considering something exotic or not. Meaning, if it there isn't a sense of familiarity with it at all, it's chances of being seen as exotic are even higher. It sort of goes along with my example of English I guess
    Y U TURN INTO A GRAMMAR NATZEH?

So, I'm curious, how many languages do you speak, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post

I can only be optimistic if only our people love our country more. Sadly, these days that's not the case.

I had headaches when I read Siti Nurbaya and stuffs.
    Blame the media and learning process, I guess. Speaking Bahasa is not something considered as cool among the youth, and the apathy from our fellow Indonesian is justified in some ways.

LOL, that's what makes them interesting .

By the way, I read some Budi Darma's works, the most memorable book by him that I can recall right now is Olenka, because the title is taken from Chekov's story.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been blurry since the beginning.

Mm, I don't listen to many foreign songs anyway, so yeah... Oh, once, listened to a German song when I still learned it. Comment: confusing.
    Oh well.

I blame Shikata-san for making me liking foreign languages songs. (I used to like English and Latin songs only) She made me love Italian and Greek songs, and then I just kinda try to listen to other languages, and I've been listening to French, Russian, German, even Irish.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how else to explain it. While Portuguese is consider exotic to me, it still wouldn't compare to some unknown native language of some random, tiny Pacific Island for example
    Totally with you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Oh, yes, we did. Just in blood, though. I don't even have a Chinese name.

Hey, same here, but I could understand your excuse.

NO.
    Why thank you.

YES.

Blame the media and learning process, I guess. Speaking Bahasa is not something considered as cool among the youth, and the apathy from our fellow Indonesian is justified in some ways.
    As a youth myself isn't it natural? It is at those times that you feel bored with everything you've grown up with for, what, 20 years, and want to try something new. I think it applies not only in language but lots other things as well. Although to start with our care for our own culture is indeed low. XDDDD

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

We do have a kind of basic grammar, but we don't actually use it in daily life. In practice, we defile the grammar as much as we want. That's why there is a great difference between formal Indonesian and informal Indonesian. No one use formal Indonesian except for people who learn Indonesian for the first time.
    That's not terribly unique. Different dialects and accents can result in the same sort of thing in English. For example, the African-American community has their own way of speaking at times, that is still considered English, even though it's grammatically a nightmare. But this isn't a racial thing necessarily.

And while it might not be as severe as Bahasa (I have no clue), speaking formally and informally in most languages can result in some languages seeming almost unrecognizable.

Out west you'll even have pidgin languages between Spanish-speaking and English-speaking communities, as well as some Native-American pidgins.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I blame Shikata-san for making me liking foreign languages songs. (I used to like English and Latin songs only) She made me love Italian and Greek songs, and then I just kinda try to listen to other languages, and I've been listening to French, Russian, German, even Irish.
    That's nice. She makes me like Italian as well, and the way she incorporates foreign languages in her songs is just awesome.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

...I guess it is. I guess that might be due to the idea of the word being subjective, when the definition isn't. So weird.

Yeah I agree on the song part. And I don't know if it's the silly taboo of hearing angry Germans or not but it probably depends on different German accents as well, which I don't have a ton of knowledge on. It's interesting, because a former staffer here who is for Western Germany did a student exchange in Australia and she now has a very Australian-sounding accent when speaking English, even though she is German. If you're a foreigner, you'll hear American and British English a lot more than Australian, so that sort of short-term influence is fascinating to me. She would know exactly why and how that is, considering she studied linguistics though

And yeah, I guess I associated exotic and beautiful together for some reason...
    So exotic is one of those subjective words.

Well, some people can be easily influenced into talking with another accent. I watched British movies in succession for a week, and I speak British accent for a month. Since my default English accent is American, of course after a while, my accent goes back to it.
    I have headaches with Australian accent. British is sometimes bad enough, but I often can't understand what Australians are talking about.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I can be that way on my own, I was just poking fun. But no, I've seen you do the same thing to her and I think it's cute and even admirable.

Y U TURN INTO A GRAMMAR NATZEH?

So, I'm curious, how many languages do you speak, by the way?
    I know people like to treat me like a punching bag, but some people, and I mean SOME people consider me intelligent and well-spoken

English and Spanish. But they can't be compared really, I would take some time to get my bearings if I was dropped in Madrid and had to fend for myself

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Why? Don't tell me you have Chinese blood too.

LOL, that's what makes them interesting .

By the way, I read some Budi Darma's works, the most memorable book by him that I can recall right now is Olenka, because the title is taken from Chekov's story.
    Indeed. Nationalism has started to disappear.

Oh yeah. That's also the only title I can remember of his works, but mostly it's because I have a friend whose nickname is Olen, and when we have Mr. Budi Darma as our lecturer and we started to know him, this poor friend of mine is nicknamed Olenka. I wonder whether Mr. Budi Darma feels weird to have a student with a name similar to his book title in his class.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Oh, yes, we did. Just in blood, though. I don't even have a Chinese name.
    You don't?

As a youth myself isn't it natural? It is at those times that you feel bored with everything you've grown up with for, what, 20 years, and want to try something new. I think it applies not only in language but lots other things as well. Although to start with our care for our own culture is indeed low. XDDDD
    I actually want to learn to play gamelan but the class was only available for our kouhai in high school.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

So exotic is one of those subjective words.

Well, some people can be easily influenced into talking with another accent. I watched British movies in succession for a week, and I speak British accent for a month. Since my default English accent is American, of course after a while, my accent goes back to it.
    I have headaches with Australian accent. British is sometimes bad enough, but I often can't understand what Australians are talking about.
    It's an interesting conundrum, but I think it has to be considered as one.

Totally, but when I heard her for the first time I was shocked. She was flattered that I thought she sounded Australian, but after a while I could notice a SMALL hint of something that wasn't Australian.

I guess that's where native terms come in as well. I sort of look as Australians as an analogue to Southerners here and I think foreigners would have the same difficulty understanding some of their accents.

SCHWING LORD 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

The accent influence factor is actually really interesting. During our mod meet in Belgium, I was seriously influenced by goldb's British and to some extent blai's. I started mixing up my default American accent, mostly because it was fun at first, but after a while I did it automatically, speaking a sort of mix. It was really strange and I was surprised no one mentioned it. However I basically reverted right away after they both left. I can speak both no problem, but since American English is more normal here (although we are taught British English in terms of writing.....) I landed there.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not terribly unique. Different dialects and accents can result in the same sort of thing in English. For example, the African-American community has their own way of speaking at times, that is still considered English, even though it's grammatically a nightmare. But this isn't a racial thing necessarily.

And while it might not be as severe as Bahasa (I have no clue), speaking formally and informally in most languages can result in some languages seeming almost unrecognizable.

Out west you'll even have pidgin languages between Spanish-speaking and English-speaking communities, as well as some Native-American pidgins.
    The funny thing is that it is hard to find someone who speaks fully Indonesian. We always mix it with the local language.

The thing is that even Indonesian people think that Indonesian has no grammar. It's just that bad. Some foreigners who study Indonesian told me that they are confused in learning Indonesian because we seemingly don't care for subject, predicate and stuffs. Not to mention that they have a hard time to learn Indonesian since every Indonesian people is not talking full Indonesian.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3c View Post
    The accent influence factor is actually really interesting. During our mod meet in Belgium, I was seriously influenced by goldb's British and to some extent blai's. I started mixing up my default American accent, mostly because it was fun at first, but after a while I did it automatically, speaking a sort of mix. It was really strange and I was surprised no one mentioned it. However I basically reverted right away after they both left. I can speak both no problem, but since American English is more normal here (although we are taught British English in terms of writing.....) I landed there.
    You took noticed of it though...lulz (Nuno trying to fit in )

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

That's nice. She makes me like Italian as well, and the way she incorporates foreign languages in her songs is just awesome.
    Indeed. I'm thankful to her for expanding my horizon in learning language.

Thread Closed
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast