Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with how the fight against Madara ended?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 12.90%
  • Somewhat

5 16.13%
  • No

3 9.68%
  • It's not over yet

19 61.29%
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews 589 Edo Tensei: Released

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews 589 Edo Tensei: Released

"There is this big a difference between us? Grandpa fought a guy like this?"
    Tsunade

Well, it's all there in the title of the chapter, but before we get to Kishimoto's handling of a long awaited plot point, let's go over last week's poll. I asked whether the size of the Susanoo or how it was used mattered more, and the majority of you said it was all in how you use it. Kishimoto, however, feels differently and as he demonstrates in this chapter, sometimes its all about the size. Terrain changing, mountain demolishing size. Now for the chapter review...

Naruto Reviews 589 Edo Tensei: Released
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

With the appearance of the perfect Susanoo, even the stalwart Tsuchikage is awed by Madara's power, one that only Hashirama was ever able to match, and in the most badass moment of the chapter, Madara mentions that it's better that Hashirama isn't able to meet him in battle. Otherwise, a much larger section of the world map would have to be redrawn afterwards. Madara demonstrates why by decimating a mountain with a single swing of his perfect Susanoo's sword. Facing a destructive power not even the tailed beast can withstand, the Kage realize that Madara's been toying with them this entire time. Yet they stand resolute, determined to bring an end to this battle.

Meanwhile, Itachi has finished learning the seals needed to undo Edo Tensei and manipulates Kabuto into making them through genjutsu. Before Itachi departs, Sasuke has a last heart to heart with his brother. He claims that the spending time with Itachi has made him remember their old relationship and caused him to more deeply understand Itachi's feelings and suffering at the village's behest. Which, of course, is bullshit. Yes, Itachi suffered for the village, but he made the choices that led to that suffering himself. What he's feeling isn't anything approaching wrath for Konoha. So in that sense, Sasuke doesn't even come close to understanding Itachi.

Sasuke bids farewell to his brother, promising to destroy Konoha even though Itachi protected it against Kabuto's machinations. Kabuto makes the final hand seal and instantly ends the technique. Across the battlefields, the reanimated corpses begin decaying and are released back from whence they came.

This was yet another well-drawn chapter from Kishimoto. The action and panelling was excellent as usual with highlights being the decaying Edo Tensei summons and the perfect Susanoo. The latter looked especially epic due to its intimidating design and the its size relative to its surroundings. Kishimoto did an excellent job illustrating the sheer magnitude of that thing. However, my favorite panel was the last in which the released souls lit up a map of the battlefield.

I have very mixed feelings about this chapter. On the one hand, it was well drawn, the dialogue was great, and Madara's perfect Susanoo was better than I expected it to be.

On the other hand, we've seen the character beats Sasuke hit many times before and most importantly, I think ending* Edo Tensei so abruptly does a great disservice to the conclusion of a few running plots. Specifically, I think the stronger conclusion for the Madara fight would be for the Five Kage to win by their own hands through sheer force of will and teamwork. In that battle, you literally have the old guard facing off against the new and the way things turned out, it looks definitively like the new guard was unable to surpass the old on their own strength. Does the Kage simply surviving feel like a victory to you? Then there are other revived characters who only appeared in brief flashes like Dan or Kimimaro who had the potential to beef up the dramatic stakes by interacting with those they new from when they were alive. Then there's Dan's jutsu which was teased by Kishimoto but which we never actually saw.

*The signs Kabuto told Itachi are definitely different than the ones he told Madara. I'm not sure what we're supposed to make of it. I was hoping that Kabuto had a counter to any genjutsu, like forcing himself to respond a certain way when asked about Edo Tensei, but it seemed clear as the chapter progressed that the technique is actually ending. Is this actually an end to the jutsu? Were the sign differences a continuity error? Are we supposed to take what Kabuto said to Madara as a lie? Or does Kabuto actually have a backup plan like transporting the revived to himself if he's placed under genjutsu?

All said, the craftsmanship that went into Naruto 589 was impressive, but the direction the plot took was underwhelming, maybe more so since the series is taking a week off, which is why I'm giving it a ...

3 out of 5.

Predictions

Hmm, well, this chapter proved my predictions about ending Edo Tensei incorrect, unless shown otherwise after the break.

What do I think will happen next? With the jinchuriki disposed of, Tobi will have to fight with his own abilities and I expect he'll make quick work of Killer B, gain the Eight-Tails, then attempt a rash revival of the Ten-Tails. That's it for the review. Naruto's on break next week, so I'll see you all the week after that.

One Line Reviews
    • One Piece 670 is funny but not as vital as it has been in past weeks as it trades in intrigue for (not unwelcome) slapstick and slime monsters.
    • Bleach 495 spends a chapter impressing upon us the seriousness of the Quincy's threat to Soul Society and setting up the fights we can expect to see in the coming chapters. Similarly not vital but enjoyable seeing some familiar faces.
    • After weeks of adrenaline pumping action and general bada$$ery, S.I.U. is determined to put a damper on your parade with a dark and twist filled Tower of God S02Ch18. Plus, in 3 chapters the game ends and we find out Viole's hidden story!
    • Gantz 364 takes a similarly dramatic turn by exploring the moral ambiguities of war and survival and shifting focus from the invading aliens to an all more human enemy.
    • And for my pick of the week, s*** gets real as the 14th makes an untimely appearance in the stellar D. Gray-Man 214. The only complaint I have about the chapter is that I'll have to wait a month to see what happens next.
    • All in all, this was the rare week where I enjoyed every other release much more than I enjoyed Naruto.
    Last edited by blackjack612; June 08, 2012 at 09:01 PM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member narutotheory's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews 589 Edo Tensei: Released

Good Review BlackJack.

- I loved the last page as well. Though for some reason I have a strange feeling the Edo Tensei release didn't work on Madara...then again it may just be a strange feeling.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Black, to be honest... I disagree with your review at all! first of all,I'd give this chapter a 5 out of 5,because we could see every battlefield and characters we have been waiting to see for months. Also,the story in this chapter went very fast,so I'm more than happy,although I'd like to have seen more from some zombies.
    my second complain is for what concerns your comment on sasuke's words. in the thread,we agreed that sasuke's sentences did make sense this time,and I think they were not bullshit. Moreover,sasuke did understand itachi,as the latter hinted by no replying.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

good review as always black...
    that last page sure does speak volumes of kabuto's control of ET(chiyo said it right...that it takes great skill to control that many souls)...
    Look around you carefully. Strain your eyes at the darkness around us... At the darkness around me. You said anywhere but here. This is where, here, at the border. Gathered by the winds. Those who have met their final destiny hanging between jealousy and regret. Those who failed, swept together here. You say it doesnt matter where. If you follow me, this is where you'll go. This is your eden.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what to do: this chapter was excellent for how the story went on,but it was quite disappointing because it confirmed that chukichi,deidara,chiyo and kimimaro stayed there for nothing but to disappear. I still hope kabuto will show us a jawdrop somehow

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Socrates's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Blackjack.

I also think it isnt the end for madara.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner TAnaBATA's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for doing this every weeks.You're very good at it.

One thing though:
    I don't think that Tobi will do a quick work of Bee.It will be more difficult than that and you was too generous with the rate.Mine is 2/5,instead.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAnaBATA View Post
    Thanks for doing this every weeks.You're very good at it.

One thing though:
    I don't think that Tobi will do a quick work of Bee.It will be more difficult than that and you was too generous with the rate.Mine is 2/5,instead.
    bee was taking care of the jins,while naruto was dealing with gedo mazo. tobi didn't seem to be fighting,nor were kakashi and gai. btw,now bee and naruto won't have tof ace the 6 paths of pain,but tobi may enjoy the fight.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sanadan's Avatar
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even now there were reviews of chapters but now that Ive seen this I think I will check in every week.
    My thoughts about this chapter is that I am content even if it did take away the idea of the new surpassing the older generation. Like completely smashed the idea. If every generation improves on the old and a generation as old as Madaras was unbeatable by an army today then the math does not add up.
    Sure one can argue that it was due to the tweaking of Kabuto but I don't really think it is, Madara seems so proud of his Uchiha powers and seem to be very keen on showing that the abilities he got from Hashirama wasn't all him.
    3 out of 5 is my score too as it was an enjoyable episode and the only logical conclusion to the battle as Madara had been built up way too much.
    This makes me think about the battle between Orochimaru and Sarutobi. If Hashirama could have stopped Madara, Sarutobi should have gotten destroyed quick. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Sanadan; June 13, 2012 at 03:28 PM.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member apathism's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sanadan View Post
    I didn't even now there were reviews of chapters but now that Ive seen this I think I will check in every week.
    My thoughts about this chapter is that I am content even if it did take away the idea of the new surpassing the older generation. Like completely smashed the idea. If every generation improves on the old and a generation as old as Madaras was unbeatable by an army today then the math does not add up.
    Sure one can argue that it was due to the tweaking of Kabuto but I don't really think it is, Madara seems so proud of his Uchiha powers and seem to be very keen on showing that the abilities he got from Hashirama wasn't all him.
    3 out of 5 is my score too as it was an enjoyable episode and the only logical conclusion to the battle as Madara had been built up way too much.
    This makes me think about the battle between Orochimaru and Sarutobi. If Hashirama could have stopped Madara, Sarutobi should have gotten destroyed quick. Just a thought.
    At first I was going to disagree, but I thought about it more, and I agree with you. Shisui would be proud.

Though it is possible that Orochimaru's edo tensei of Shodaime and Nidaime took away their personalities and kept them under direct control of Orochimaru-- limiting them to only the techniques that Orochimaru understood. This might explain why the forest jutsu was used, but not the spore release jutsu (later used by Madara).

Of course, I doubt that when that particular fight was being written, Kishi had any idea about having Madara fighting the 5 kage using a perfect susanoo and rinnegan eyes. I really wish the 5 kage didn't just get their butts kicked the whole time though... If Part I Naruto fought that Susanoo, he would probably defeat it with a 'One Thousand Years of Pain Version Rasenshuriken.'

Kage-Baka No Jutsu!

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply