Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Tragedy in Shoujo/Josei

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Tragedy in Shoujo/Josei

When talking about shoujo/josei, most people think of the cute and sweet kind where the protagonists meet each other, fall in love and live happily ever after. Not many people (tbh, including me) know about shoujo/josei series that end tragically.

Do you know any shoujo/josei that has tragedy? What makes it tragic?
    Do you think tragedy will make shoujo/josei more appealing or interesting? Why or why not?
    What do you think of it compared to the typical shoujo/josei that ends happily?

Please share your thoughts!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tragedy in Shoujo/Josei

Tragedy shoujo/josei... I wonder what... I can't really get on out of my head. I can't believe I haven't read one even once, there must be! :P But well, shoujo and josei series mostly have a happy ending, no matter how twisted they are throughout the story... I actually like this kind of genre among happy ones. I mean, if all stories are happy, surely it'll be boring, LOL~

Tragedy series are also usually more touching in terms of messages.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I even don't understand what is meant by tragedy in shoujo/josei.. I mean, when I hear tragedy, I always think of death. (I blame Romeo and Juliet for that.) But what if not being able to be each other because of distance, for example, is also counted as a tragedy?

And to be honest, I always avoid tragic stories. Worse still, since shoujo and josei are mostly love stories, I avoid them more because tragic love stories are the worst. The last time I watched a tragic shoujo anime, I ended up crying the whole night, because all the main characters, except the girl, died. I actually love the story but I just think that the end is so unfair. Another train of thought led me to think that if the characters didn't die, I would hate the whole story so I can't say I really hate the ending.

But amidst lost of the happy-ending shoujo/josei stories, sometimes I welcome the tragic-ending ones. Even people can get sick of happy ending, no? They are too unrealistic sometimes. Tragedy is more... realistic, in a way. We always need a dose of reality.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You want tragedy? I'll give you tragedy, and melodramatic to the max!
    I can think of 4 titles right now, and I used to watch these when I was a little kid:
    Rose of Versailles/Lady Oscar
    Candy Candy
    Lady Georgie
    Dear Brother/Oniisama e
    Last edited by Georgie; July 15, 2012 at 08:12 PM.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, the old manga! I forgot about those!
    Yes yes... I remember Candy Candy and dear, it seems like Candy's life is centered around tragedy, but I still can't understand why I like the story... Maybe it's because Candy is very strong heroine (unlike heroines nowadays )? The end to that story is an unclear one too... In the end, she doesn't end up with anybody?
    Spoiler show
    A bit disappointed with that, but.. I think it really can't be helped. The case is always like this with good tragedy (I don't mean that the tragedy is good, it's tragedy that is written well).
    I cannot remember Rose of Versailles though... I read only a volume of it so I can't say much about it.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Georgie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

Poor Candy....

Spoiler show

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Georgie View Post

Poor Candy....

Spoiler show
    I managed to finish reading the manga, and I really hope that though her life was filled with tragedy, I really hope that in the end she found happiness. The ending is kind of a cliff-hanger, so the reader can think whatever he/she likes about how Candy lives her life after that.
    Spoiler show

Global Moderator 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Candy, Candy was one of my oldest manga. I think I was given that series by someone, and I had them complete. Now I don't know where those books are anymore... I remember the story faintly, but just by remembering its title I remember the tragedies happened to Candy throughout the series. XDD I can't remember any of it more but I remember it was rather sad.

One tragedy series I hate most now is probably Bride of the Water God. Well, technically, it is a manhwa, but it is also classified as shoujo if we use Japanese term (I forget the Korean term, haha~). So full of sadness that it's suffocating. -___-

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure Bride of the Water God will end badly?

Oh, and I just remember another manga... Fuushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden. Those who read Fuushigi Yuugi will know how it ends.

New Reply