Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 587 by BadKarma , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Anime Directors

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Anime Directors

Rarely are they mentioned but they should take the credit for most of the things we watch, what are your favorite anime directors? I have to name the legend here:

Hayao Miyazaki, his works include: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, or in other words Studio Ghibli.

Here he is :

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Anime Directors

After Miyazaki, the first person that comes to mind is Satoshi Kon. I just recently saw Tokyo Godfathers, and it wasn't just an amazing anime film, but an amazing film in general.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hideaki Anno as well, a great innovator and genius, truly a great artist and film director. I just remembered him, I can not believe I did not mention the creator of Evangelion and Nadia in the opening. Still better late than never.

Triple Star Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    After Miyazaki, the first person that comes to mind is Satoshi Kon. I just recently saw Tokyo Godfathers, and it wasn't just an amazing anime film, but an amazing film in general.
    Satoshi Kon without a doubt. Did you watch Paprika? Even more special and just awesome~ Going to watch Millenium Actress next and then probably Paranoia Agent. That's how fond I am of his workks now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Satoshi Kon without a doubt. Did you watch Paprika? Even more special and just awesome~ Going to watch Millenium Actress next and then probably Paranoia Agent. That's how fond I am of his workks now.
    I have seen Paprika. It's hard to explain, but I liked Tokyo Godfathers better. BUT, I liked it better as a film in general, not as an anime film. Sometimes I forgot I was watching an anime while watching Tokyo Godfathers. It may as well been a live action film. Paprika on the other hand, was visually stunning and better than Tokyo Godfathers as an anime. Am I making any sense?

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Akiyuki Shinbo not that known, but his projects are really awesome, he was involved in so many anime that have been called GREAT or GREATEST over the years, just throwing him out there, he directed: Madoka, Negima, Arakawa, SZS and Pani Poni Dash!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Apart from Satoshi Kon and Miyazaki...

Kenji Nakamura (Mononoke, Trapeze, [C], Tsuritama)
    Mamoru Hosoda ( Digimon Movie 2, One Piece Movie 6, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars)
    Yasuhiro Imagawa (Giant Robo, G Gundam, Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z-Hen)

I've also had my eye on Takeshi Koike recently, he directed Redline and did some work on Afro Samurai and the new Lupin III show.
    Last edited by Galactic Tomahawk; December 19, 2012 at 09:24 AM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

^ You mentioning Hosoda Mamoru just made me realize how large the similarities are between Digimon's 2nd movie and Summer Wars.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I think Summer Wars was basically him wanting to do the story again with an original setting.

Wolf Children (his new movie) came out in theaters a few months ago too IIRC. I've heard good stuff about it so I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

MangaHelper 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hayao Miyasaki and Satoshi Kon are definitely awesome. I also like Mamoru Oshii for Ghost in the Shell and Angel's Egg. Masayuki Kojima for Master Keaton and Monster.

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

10 posts already made in this thread but no one mentions Makoto Shinkai? Probably he's the most promising Anime director as of late. The main theme of his movies are tend to be.. homogeneous, but his visual depicting ability is extraordinary.

Triple Star Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    10 posts already made in this thread but no one mentions Makoto Shinkai? Probably he's the most promising Anime director as of late. The main theme of his movies are tend to be.. homogeneous, but his visual depicting ability is extraordinary.
    Shinkai just isn't that known among western fans, nor is he as appreciated as a lot of other directors. I've watched three of his works, "5 Centimeters per Second", "Voices of a Distant Star" and "She and her Cat", all great by their own means. I planned to watch his first long work "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" and his most recent one "Children who Chase Lost Voices" for a long time, though both are supposedly inferior to 5 Centimeters. You've reminded me of checking out the two movies, I kinda forgot Still some time left until his new work, which looks amazing

I do think he's a great director but he has a pretty unique style which probably isn't appreciated by everyone. Dunno what you mean with as of late, he's in the business for around ten years and his style hasn't changed significantly from what I can tell so he's far from being a newbie

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I do think he's a great director but he has a pretty unique style which probably isn't appreciated by everyone. Dunno what you mean with as of late, he's in the business for around ten years and his style hasn't changed significantly from what I can tell so he's far from being a newbie
    I don't think that his style is difficult to be digested thus under appreciated by western fans though. While probably some of his harshest critics said that he's overusing a same theme from time to time, his animation style - in my opinion - is as "friendly" and "warm" as Ghibli movies. I was trying to say that his directorial style is getting better, especially his last three movies. Not like many directors out there who're tend to not improving their capability somehow.

Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Isao Takahata, Grave of the Fireflies is just breathtaking art!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Ryutaro Nakamura, who passed away last month, for his work as director on Serial Experiments Lain and Kino no Tabi.

Shinichirō Watanabe for his work as director on Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and his storyboard for the same titles + Ergo Proxy and Escaflowne.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast