Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: What printing resolution is used by publishers?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Guru981's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

What printing resolution is used by publishers?

Does anyone know what printing resolution (DPI) is used by various publishers? I'm curious, because I want to know what the optimal scanning resolution would be. I get the impression people aren't scanning at high-enough resolutions, or are using filters rather carelessly, because in many RAWs, and consequently in scanlations, I can see aliasing.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Phaedris's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What printing resolution is used by publishers?

The only info I've ever seen for a publisher was for DC.
    Here's an excerpt from "The DC Comics guide to Coloring and Lettering Comics"
    Quote Quote:
    In scanning, the rule of thumb is the higher the dpi (dots per inch), the sharper your image will be. Of course, the higher you go, the larger your final files are going to be, so don't go too high. Unless you've got super-computer, any file over 100 megabytes are going to take along time to work on and save. Your average page size (in its final, colored state) will be probably be between 40 and 60 megs.
    Some smaller companies use printers that will put your final colored files through a printing software (called a RIP program) that lowers all files to 300 dpi before they go on press, so always know what the publishers are looking for.
    DC scans the 11" x 17" original black-and-white art pages at 450 dpi. this way, when they are printed at small 6 3/4" x 10 1/42 comic book size, the resolution appears to look sharper.
    I think 300dpi for B&W pages is perfectly adequate even for high resolution releases.
    Last edited by Phaedris; June 23, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Raenef's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

300 dpi is what we use as hq raws for likes of jump ect, if you go higher have fun with the image size, scanners can easily do 1200 dpi, first the scanning time increases and then the image size too (MB wise) for color you can go up to 600,

just be sure that you debind them before scanning else u get fu**** annoying shadows that lower the quality by ages
    Was glänzt, ist für den Augenblick geboren,
    Das Echte bleibt der Nachwelt unverloren.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That which glitters is born for the moment;
    The genuine remains intact for future days.

- J.W. von Goethe (1749-1832), Faust I (Vorspiel auf dem Theater)

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Guru981's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of scanning at higher resolutions, perhaps a better way to avoid aliasing is to use a sophisticated descreening filter. I was reading this and was impressed by the results. I'm guessing it does more than simply attenuate the high-frequency components (i.e. blur), down-scale and then sharpen, which is what I tried in Photoshop and failed. Then again, maybe working with line art makes things worse. I might change the topic slightly to "what scanners offer decent descreening filters" .

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

The online readers (vizmanga etc) use 72dpi

New Reply