Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Thread Closed
Page 110 of 134 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 ... LastLast
Results 1,636 to 1,650 of 2003

Thread: Pinoy Community v. 18

  1. #1636
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Country
    Palau
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    Problems in UP:

    1. Poor Security. Too many students killed. UP Los Banos from Safest University became Most Dangerous

    2. Almost all things are legal, Fraternity, Rally, Not Wearing Proper Attire during Class (Pwedeng mag-tsinelas lang.) Para laging may rebellion sa school. Lahat na halos ng bawal sa ibang universities ay legal/pwede sa UP.
    Takot ba sa restrictions ang mga tao sa UP?!

    3. Many Students are Rich. It's a State University, rich kids should not be in UP.

  2. #1637
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mangadictus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    3,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    not that i agree that these "rich" kids be not allowed in state universities. i say, give them a lesser priority than those who came from secondary institutions with appropriate merits and qualifications. having graduated from one, I've seen such where tuition assurance is given priority over academic excellence.

  3. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #1638
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Country
    Storm's End
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    Quote Originally Posted by mangadictus View Post
    not that i agree that these "rich" kids be not allowed in state universities. i say, give them a lesser priority than those who came from secondary institutions with appropriate merits and qualifications. having graduated from one, I've seen such where tuition assurance is given priority over academic excellence.
    very much this. anyway the current system is an efficient form of control over the masses, so the governing elite couldn't care less.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #1639
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mangadictus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    3,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter71485 View Post
    very much this. anyway the current system is an efficient form of control over the masses, so the governing elite couldn't care less.
    and also, i think the current economic standing of our country, which in turn affects the financing of our public education system, has something to do with this.

    Spoiler: made me miss someone :) show
    Last edited by mangadictus; March 21, 2013 at 08:49 AM.

  7. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  8. #1640
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    WARNING: WALL OF TEXT

    Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    Okay. I just think it seems quite elitist to focus on helping one university. Especially because its a top institution, because education may be a right, but its also damn well a privilege. Maybe I am placing my own prejudices on the argument so I can be totally off here. But here in the UK the two top institutions (oxbridge) are made up of 50% privately educated individuals (Eton, Harrow, Winchester etc) even though they make up 7% of the population. I suppose the conclusion that can be drawn from that is not that rich and members of the elite are more intelligent then the rest of the population but they have the resources to get their children to the top institutions. This is beginning to change here as its become to be seen as a problem (a subset of a wider social class problem).

    In that sense, education is definitely a privilege and being in the "top 1%" is a result of hard work but also because of the inherent privileges afforded to people at birth. It's really hard to have a complete meritocracy and say education is a right when not everyone begins at the same place because public education in most countries does not compare to private education. But as I said I dont know much about UP so...hahahaha. >.>

    Anyway I think that went off on unrelated tangent.
    I understand what you are saying, Imp.

    But actually this university that I'm talking about, UP, given its supposed academic excellence, being one of the top schools in the country, is ideally fucking cheap. Because, it being a state university and subsidized by the government, its tuition per semester is close to nil. That was back in the day. I reached a time when it was 300php/unit, or close to 7 USD! But in the 1980s it was about 40php/ unit. So a good load of 15-18 units takes us to about 6-7,000. per semester. Other state universities even go way lower than this, however, it's not the same campus, and not the same standards. Most importantly, not the same environment. Which will be explained in a short while.

    Quote Originally Posted by mangadictus View Post
    not that i agree that these "rich" kids be not allowed in state universities. i say, give them a lesser priority than those who came from secondary institutions with appropriate merits and qualifications. having graduated from one, I've seen such where tuition assurance is given priority over academic excellence.
    For UP, there is a lower passing grade of admission for students from provincial areas, because of the understanding that their educational standards are lower in the provinces, and they are the ones who are in more need of the subsidized services of this school. They are top priority. Plus, the school also identifies the top students from the rural areas to give them free review sessions to prepare these students for the entrance exam. so, again, ideally, the school is trying hard to get the best students not only from the good schools, but also from the schools in rural areas all over the country, to ensure that they give everybody level playing ground.

    That's the first hurdle, and that's the solution they came up with. This was applied decades ago.

    (to those besides Imperium, this was explained by the chancellor to the media in the press release about the kristel case).

    Next hurdle: So students from rural areas that deserve quality education by a state university already passed the exam. The problem lies now in getting them to enroll. Because many families can't even provide travel expenses for their kid to go to said campus. Tuition may be cheap for the middle class, but for the struggling citizens, you may have to learn many begging techniques. Still, I think the university is very lenient, and has provided many schemes to tackle the problem.

    Students from rural areas are given priority in the campus dormitories that are also dirt cheap (500php/month- with food). And you can apply for the Socialized Tuition and Financial Assistance Program, where they assess your financial capabilities, and adjust your tuition accordingly, they can even give you allowances and refunds. Most government scholarship programs are applicable here. (you can even notice the difference between a physics scholar and a engineering scholar- physics has a higher budget, maybe because they're so few?) You can apply for student loans. You can become a student assistant and get certain fees waived equivalent to your working hours, etc. etc.

    And because of these many schemes, you will find that in UP you meet many people from different classes (rich, middle, poor) coming together for intellectual pursuit alone. That is the ideal that the university aimed to achieve a long time ago. You may be surrounded by valedictorians and salutatorians of their own high schools, from all over the country, different provinces, different cultures, and that's what's amazing about this university. So it's in the very least, elitist, as you say. In fact, it is one of the very open schools you can find in the country, provided you just have the brains to get there.

    The university I used to go to, anyway. Because, like I said, recently, tuition fees skyrocketed to more than 500%!! And they revised the financial assistance program quite drastically. That's what discouraged the kids from provinces and rural areas to even consider taking the exam.


    Quote Originally Posted by X3D2YFaust View Post
    Problems in UP:

    1. Poor Security. Too many students killed. UP Los Banos from Safest University became Most Dangerous

    2. Almost all things are legal, Fraternity, Rally, Not Wearing Proper Attire during Class (Pwedeng mag-tsinelas lang.) Para laging may rebellion sa school. Lahat na halos ng bawal sa ibang universities ay legal/pwede sa UP.
    Takot ba sa restrictions ang mga tao sa UP?!

    3. Many Students are Rich. It's a State University, rich kids should not be in UP.
    Here now I can elaborate on why the UP culture is not at all elitist.

    Re: Poor security-
    this is because UP insisted on an open campus, and even supports the many communities around it, even allowing non-student communities to settle in the campus property. Since its area is so effing big (second only to UP LB, with its own public transportation system, so big it has its own zip code). I thought it was for good intentions, since many children also loved to play in its fields and gardens, and outsiders can actually sit in classes from time to time. That's how open it was. Eventually people abused this so crime rates increased. They had to tighten security- even if it kind of went against its principles of an "open campus".

    re: UP LB,
    (Los Baños campus, for you Imp) that's because UP LB has the most violent frat wars- so obviously their safety there is compromised.

    re: Fraternities/sororities:
    that's a totally different issue that could warrant another wall of text. So i won't comment.

    re: Not wearing proper attire-
    This is because they encourage freedom. Not only that, given the fact that many students are poor, they are lenient with dress codes. It also promotes your own style, your own way of taking on the world, if it were. What is "proper attire" anyway? What's so wrong with attending class wearing slippers? if you could comply with the academic requirements, if you could exchange brilliant ideas, what's wrong with the way you dress? It makes you feel at home and comfortable while putting your head to work, instead of worrying about material excesses.

    re: rallies-
    It is normal for thinking citizens to question rules and policies. The world is never perfect, and anybody is free to speak their mind. The teachers tolerate this behavior because they cannot stop students from expressing whatever they feel. They cannot take away this right, and the university "upholds justice" and "fighting for your rights". It's not every student who takes up arms and stuff, I for one was the apathetic kind. Also, the teachers know that the students love the university and would not endanger its campus, most activists choose information dissemination over violence. some even ask a few minutes of class time (though I hate it) to tell everyone about their cause in a calm way, without need of megaphones or placards. It is in critical thinking that leaders and shakers are born.

    re: rich students:
    now why would you stop them from enrolling in UP when they have the brains for it? Maybe there are schools which admit students who are none too bright but can bribe their way in with money. But at least I'm confident it doesn't happen in UP.

    Recently, because of the tuition fee increase, only the rich and upper middle-class could dare to take the exams and enroll. I was still in the campus that time (my last year, although our tuition as existing students were unaffected) and I did notice the sharp change in culture. Before it was the rich who were mocked in the campus, they were the butt end of the jokes, since they were the minority then. But when the tuition spiked, damn, students came mostly from the Manila high schools, they flaunted their audis with their chauffeurs and their Longchamp bags. As opposed to the time when we didn't care which high school anybody came from, since it was obviously a no-name school from some rural province.

    CONCLUSION!
    That's why, I don't blame the administration for the Kristel case, as I always believed in what the university upheld. I blame the government for hacking the educational budget to pieces and leaving them the scraps, driving the university to increase its tuition that was the root of all evil.
    Last edited by baboysai; March 21, 2013 at 07:15 AM.

  9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
  10. #1641
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Country
    Palau
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    Yung mga government employees na galing ng UP wala rin namang nagagawang maganda. Sabi nila kasi daw nalalamon din sila ng bulok na sistema, kahit na super activist nila nung college kapag napasok na sa gobyerno nalalamon daw ng sistema kaya nagiging tiwali rin.

    Hindi lang church at government magka-away sa Pinas. Church, Government, UP parang Rock Paper Scissors lang.

    At tingin mo ba lahat ng estudyante sa UP 100% lahat matalino At hindi lahat ginagamit sa matinong bagay yung katalinuhan nila.

  11. #1642
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    sigh.

    I'm not saying everything gets good results. Sabi ko nga diba, hindi naman UP lang din ang may magandang resulta. Depende pa rin yun sa tao. All I'm saying is that there is higher chance of learning if you're exposed to more things, and some opportunities that UP offer are among those things- maraming kurso na UP lang nagbibigay, or the environment of allowing free thinking, etc.

    Like I said, marami din namang performers from other schools. Some schools also have their specialties, like business, IT, etc. etc. There is no difference if a person wishes to achieve. Ma galing ka man sa public or private, kung matino ka matino ka talaga. There are five children my parents had to put to college, four at the same time= mabigat yun sa bulsa, we were saved by enrolling into a state university. Kung private kami lahat ubos pera namin- although I wouldn't commit suicide.

    I'm not belittling other schools, and maybe you have a certain bitter taste when it comes to UP, I'm not bringing that up.

    I just complained about the government for not giving a crap about education (not only UP), but you constantly mention why you hate the school. I just came to defend it, is all. It just so happened that UP was a highlight of discussion because of the news was about the girl who came from that university. But it could have been any other school, and my position would be no more different. I HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE STATE. problem?

    ---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

    SHUTANG INA MAE, this is the first time I knew about Chiz and Heart.

    /shock

    It's random link-clicking when I was reading about the whole Kris Aquino thing, which I also cannot follow- since wala naman talaga akong alam sa showbiz. Di ko nga alam annulled na pala sila ni James Yap. haha.

    I'm so behind the times. I have cable but I really don't watch TV.

  12. #1643
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mangadictus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    3,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    bakit parang ganun yung stereotype? pag UP, maangas?

  13. #1644
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Country
    Storm's End
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    kasi nga, radical political parties have infiltrated the educational institution (like other state universities). and since most of UP passers are naive, ideological and nationalistic, they can be easily brainwashed to "always defend your right to freedom of speech".

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #1645
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    madalas nashashatter ang dreams nila, haha. They are the ones who get frustrated more, since they were honed to be more idealistic

    Maraming downside. Like the freedom to wear what they want, the downside is that when they are released to the real world, where, really, there are restrictions in the way you dress, nahihirapan sila mag adjust. lol. Most recent graduates would not know how to properly dress for interviews or their first few months of work. They do not know what is appropriate.

    Yung also, being very idealistic and naive, pag sinabak sa working environment, they forget humility. That is why most employers are skeptical with hiring UP graduates.

    And UP graduates are usually impatient, in terms of ambition, kasi nga, madalas malaki ang ulo, so they think pag labas nila sa institution, boss sila agad. But they do not know that green horns like them are easily swallowed by the corporate jungle, who are still run by the god that runs the daily grind, PERA. hahahaha. In the end, di nila maiiwasang maging slaves to money themselves- and opt for the easy way out.


    Marami din syang flaws, pero nasa pagpalaki nga naman ng magulang talaga how kids manage to survive the real world.

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #1646
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Country
    Storm's End
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    that's the same issue with every other college and university, lalo na when they are one of the big names.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #1647
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    speaking of radical political parties infiltrating institutions,

    a recent example is the NPA attack on Del Monte (where my mom works). half of the attackers were actually students.

    Many groups want to infiltrate institutions (mostly State Us, since they are the ones with close to no campus securities, etc. etc.) because they would only want the youth who are still very idealistic and easily manipulate them to fight for their causes.

    I remember SM employees approaching students before influencing them to join their fight against the SM administration...

    A lot of my friends accused me of being elitist, myself, because I don't give these groups the time of day. They would call me selfish, because I am only thinking for myself, etc.

    Sigh. mahirap bang maging normal na citizen and just give taxes where they are due? mahirap ba maging idealistic in a different sense? Like, being ambitious with your own career? Or about the potential of your own career to change the country? With other professionals working together?

    Kaso, kanya-kanyang trip lang yan. I have adapted that kind of perspective, which people may consider to be apathetic. Ang akin lang, kanya-kanyang diskarte yan bro. Kung saan ka masaya- yan ang mantra ko. Kung naniniwala naman talaga sila sa mga ginagawa nila, I trust in them, as I trust myself.

    Brings me back to the question- I think that politician will never see the light of true leadership and sincerity if he has no will to change himself. It's political will to change the so-called "bulok na sistema". Eh as hunt mentioned, unless leaders have those, you'll have to give your trust in other things, I guess. :/

    halalan na....

  20. #1648
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Country
    Storm's End
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    wow. so these left-leaning thinkers are the terrorists in our country. someone ought to revise the constitution and penalize subversive thinking with death, or worse, mental reconditioning. #1984 #totalitarianism

    no seriously, we need one. too much freedom has muddled our sense of what is right and what is left.

  21. #1649
    Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Makati City
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    13,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    >.>

    Just saw the movie Django Unchained. hahahaha. As expected of Quentin Tarantino. Nahirapan akong ubusin chichirya ko kakapanuod haha.

    Jamie Fox, win.

    And... it's going to be my birthday in a few days too. I'm off the quarter-life mark, so to speak. It's that time of the year where I ought to reassess my life over.

    and knock off one item in the bucket list, maybe.

  22. #1650
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Country
    Storm's End
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

    i'm planning to watch django and the other oscar hits when i've finished downloading them in their full hd dvd/bluray glory. which means i have to wait until august for a decent connection/magnet link.

    and then there's hollywood's giant mecha vs. giant kaiju epic. and the one piece film Z. gonna be a theatrically busy mid year.

Thread Closed
Page 110 of 134 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 108 109 110 111 112 120 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts