Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
Thread Closed
Page 67 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 2003

Thread: Pinoy Community v. 18

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mangadictus's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinoy Community v. 18

yay! baka next year makakasabay na ako

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

@hunter - Fuck bitches, acquire currency mothafuckaaaaa.

Besides that, the best advice I can give (other than the internet adage "delete Facebook, hit the gym, lawyer up") is try to find a hobby or something different that interests you which you never tried before and put your mind to that. It will help in getting over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't need getting over anything, Imp. I am at peace with what happened, though my peers have wanted a more definitive result.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mangadictus's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

that's human nature.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

wow you're telling him to get over something which, I believe, none of them has ended yet.

straight up.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression from his previous post that he was trying to get over her.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted hunter71485's Avatar
    Country
    Storm's End
    Post Thanks / Like

No activity on this thread? wtf people, DO SOMETHING!

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

kaw kasi e.

Whew I slept at 10 AM today. WTF. The sun is already high- and it's so hot already! I slept only 4 hours, woke up at 2, took a shower and headed straight for work.

ALL BECAUSE OF A FRIGGIN' KDRAMA.

anyway:

It's expected none of you mentioned the recent wedding... what, too mainstream for you?

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

What's with this obsession with j/kdramas, are they just soap operas? Or can they actually be enjoyed by a majority of people outside its demographic? Or is it basically the usual love story etc

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

what, it's just like anime, how different can it get?

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Well the difference is when you bring humans into the equation. With anime, they are just drawings so the quality is built upon the plot, dialogue, art and voice acting. It's different when its actual acting skills that are required ya know...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

trust me, man, japanese and koreans wouldn't think of manga plots and characters like that if they weren't like that in real life.

Ever wonder why anime hair and fashion can be so outrageous? coz they're like that in real life, lol.

They just bring a different kind of entertainment than when I'm watching say, American series. They rarely have second seasons, so all the action and development has to be condensed in one season- guaranteed to be concentrated and dripping with drama, twists, comedy/romance in 10 (Japanese) or 16 (Korean) episodes.

Japanese live action tend to be on the heavier side though- since they've been well over the cutesy romance stories for the past decade (their audience is getting bored with the stupid romances and want the more intelligent, closer-to-reality stories). Koreans are more slapstick comedy, over-the-top plot devices, brighter colors (yes), and cutesy fairytale plots.

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea the plot was my main point. I wanted to know if they are the equivalent (if we are comparing it to America) to Days of our Lives (a more condensed one season version) instead of a more serious drama like The West Wing for example. Which is the exact thing you mentioned above, so thanks. You said the japanese ones moved away from the romancy shtick, are there any gritty dark jdramas? Or ones dealing with more "serious" subjects (Politics, Crime, Poverty etc). Because what makes me kinda avoid the whole genre is that feeling that its all that cutesy romance stuff. Any japanese ones in that mold, to recommend?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG in the 2011 "best recommended JDrama" alone all of them are fucking heavy. I had a hard time choosing because I got used to Kdrama haha.

Okay... time for recs! :(criteria being "not like Days of our Lives (or perhaps Sunset Beach lol))

1. Engine (2005)- about kids living together in a small orphanage, and each episode unfolds each child's story- Very heartwrenching but has a nice family-oriented theme of hope and love all through out the series.

2. Nodame Cantabile (2008)- based on the award-winning manga about an eccentric piano genius and her mysterious chemistry with other musicians. Romance, comedy, friendship, personal development etc. etc.

3. My Boss My Hero (2006)- SUPER FUNNY COMEDY about an idiot son vying for his father's approval as the next Yakuza head of their clan.

4. Last Friends (2008)- about a group of friends who are brought together by different circumstances- contains themes of homosexuality, bullying and physical abuse.

There are a lot of lawyer series, or politics themes, or mystery ones, just like in American Television, but it's just not my type. :/
    As of late, like the 2011 highly rated dramas, most of them are pretty dark and more edgy (like Ooku- based on the somewhat feminist manga about an alternate history where the line of Tokugawa shoguns were actually female and the "concubines" residing in the inner chambers were actually men).

I'm in the middle of a 2011 drama Kaseifu no Mita which I will also recommend- about an eerily robotic housekeeper who does whatever she is told (say, kill somebody) as long as it's a work order, and she gets hired by a dysfunctional family trying to recover from the mother's sudden and mysterious death.

Bear in mind that Asian comedy is different from western sit-coms. Actually, when I watch an asian drama I sort of get into a zone similar to watching anime or reading manga. Except that live action comedy can be ten times better than in slice-of-life anime. And tear-jerking scenes can be also a lot more effective in live-action, IMO.

---------- Post added at 04:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Simultaneously, I'm watching King 2 Hearts (Kdrama) and talk about POLITICAL! It involves a north Korean woman being married off to the King of South Korea (in 2012). It's funny and weird and you don't know if they're mocking the North or something, I'm not saying you should watch it because, it takes a while to appreciate Kdramas and take them at face value haha. I'm just sharing that this is, by far, one of the boldest themes I have encountered in a korean television series.

There is such animosity between the two countries, and they have this show portraying NorthK as a really backward country with very conservative people, although I can totally see the ulterior goal of inspiring peace, etc. etc. It's just really, um, treading on thin ice, I should think. Especially with recurring themes of war and territorial stuff that goes beyond the romance.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

The comedy thing seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of them. I am going to search for some more darker/thriller japanese stuff. There seems to be a lot of wiki's around. I might give My Boss My Hero a go though, that peaks my interest.

I have to say I kinda feel disappointed after doing more reading on kdramas. Their cinema is excellent but the serious/dark/gritty plots and stories that it does excellent in dont seem to have translated onto the small screen. Maybe there is no regular appetite for it on Korean tv but people are willing to go see it if its a film. I suppose its the opposite to here, we have cant seem to translate the good tv we have into good films most of the time.

Thread Closed
Page 67 of 134 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 ... LastLast