Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/20/14 - 10/26/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 516 (2) , Bleach 602 by BadKarma , One Piece 764 by cnet128

View Poll Results: Orochimaru Deathwatch: He...

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fights Tobi

12 19.35%
  • Fights Madara

10 16.13%
  • Lives Forever

12 19.35%
  • Redeems Himself

19 30.65%
  • Dies in the End

17 27.42%
  • Steals Sasuke's Body

5 8.06%
  • Saunters off to Grab Some Ramen

4 6.45%
  • Take over writing the Icha Icha series

11 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply

Thread: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 593 Orochimaru Resurrected

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 593 Orochimaru Resurrected

"The way you are now ... it's not bad."
    Orochimaru

Well, I was excited about this chapter and am eager to review it, but first some housekeeping. Last week, I asked in a poll what you as readers were most excited by in the three way split of possibilities presented in Third Force. The results, in order of most to least exciting, are: Orochimaru's return, Tobi's plan, and Madara's fight.

Now for the chapter review...

Naruto 593 Orochimaru Resurrected
    The images in this review are credited to Mangastream.

My analysis is a tad lengthy this week, so I'll try to blaze through the recap as swiftly as possible. Despite Suigetsu's very strong objections, Sasuke is determined to revive Orochimaru in order to use whatever power the scroll contains. After Suigetsu voices his objections - which include that Orochimaru will want Sasuke's body, to destroy Konoha, and will take control of the war himself - Juugo scoops out some of Kabuto's flesh.

Sasuke essentially uses the reverse of the curse seal transformation on Anko and just like that, Orochimaru is vomitting himself up in all his disgusting glory out from a snake that protrudes from her body. Orochimaru points out the irony that it was Sasuke - who had attempted to kill Orochimaru - that revives him when it seems like that's something his loyal disciple Kabuto could have done. Orochimaru's consciousness inhabited Kabuto (or Anko...it's unclear) and so he's already up to speed on what's been going on. He knows there's a war but he doesn't have any interest in it, proving Suigetsu wrong on that count.

However, Orochimaru does still want Sasuke's body, but he admits he isn't strong enough to take it yet. In fact, with Sasuke's recent development, he might not be strong enough to take it even at full strength. Orochimaru only needs to see the scroll Sasuke possesses (without looking inside) to know that Sasuke wants to meet a mysterious 'them'. He inquires about Sasuke's intentions and it becomes apparent that Sasuke has changed. Having been influenced by Itachi, he's not the same brat that Orochimaru or Tobi could easily manipulate.

Sasuke still wants his revenge, but Itachi's feelings way strongly on his mind, so he wants to know the full truth of everything that's happened before he decides on his next course of action.

Between being revived and seeing how his student turned out, Orochimaru almost seems proud of Sasuke, as if Sasuke's become the worthy pupil that Anko and Kabuto never were. Agreeing to assist Sasuke, Orochimaru retrieves his remaining chakra from Kabuto and the pair set off for some place Sasuke knows well.

This was yet another wonderfully drawn chapter. The locations were well drawn. The storyboarding was solid as ever. Showy angles were used. But the defining artistic achievement this chapter were the characters themselves.

Suigetsu displayed a range of emotions in his attempt to dissuade Sasuke from a foolish action. Orochimaru too was a welcome addition to the chapter with his ambiguous age. Kishimoto is great at detailing that character at different ages, whether as a child, young sannin, sick man, or caught between the crux of youth and old age. He's obviously not as youthful as he was as a teenager (notice the gaunt cheeks) but his appearance is particularly important to his character because it represents what he views as the pinnacle of his physical beauty.

IMPRESSIONS

Well, Orochimaru is back, but then that's to be expected since it was all there in the title. The bulk of the chapter was devoted to setting up complications to the climatic battle. Orochimaru was revived. He made his motivations clear. Sasuke's new team sets out.

Along the way, there was some great dialogue, exceptional artwork, and entertaining character banter and beats. Suigetsu was enjoyable cowardly. Orochimaru was characteristically nonchalant. Juugo reaffirmed his loyalty towards Kimimaro. And Sasuke continues to mature.

I was automatically bound to like Naruto 593 based on Orochimaru's revival alone, but Kishimoto delivered a chapter that intrigued and has me cautiously optimistic about what's to come. That's why I'm giving it a ...

4 out of 5.

I have absolutely no idea where this new Team Hawk/Team Snake is headed. My best guess is Konoha. Or that ninja cat hideout Sasuke visited before he found and killed Itachi. But this chapter introduced other, less easy to answer questions.

Who could the man who knows everything be? Someone living like Ebizo the Sand Elder? A dead shinobi to revive through Edo Tensei? Not the previous Hokage. They're sealed. Not Madara, he's already up and running. Unlikely to be the Sage. His temporal distance from current events means he has little insights to the current complexities of world affairs.

Sasuke's parents? Now there's a thought. Madara's brother? That would also be insightful.

What role does Orochimaru play in this now that he's back? He's not planning on taking a role in the war (at least on the villains side), but that doesn't preclude his involvement as a redemptive act for Konoha, an unexpected mentor for Sasuke, or as a grudge against elder Uchiha statesmen like Madara or Tobi. In fact, now that I've written that out, I really like that idea. The Kage are having a rough go of it against Madara and it's obvious they need backup. Orochimaru would be the perfect backup because:
    1. He has grudges against the Uchiha and Akatsuki.
    2. As head of the Hidden Sound, he is a Kage in his own way. His ideals might be somewhat different, but he is Kage level in his own right.
    3. Madara and Tobi's plan is to introduce a world of lies and Orochimaru, though no stranger to deception himself, founded the Hidden Sound as a place that would exist free from deception.
    4. To prove his superiority to Madara Uchiha, whether out of vanity or to continue the theme of newer generations succeeding the own and knowledge/will power/perseverance trumpeting genetic talent.

As a character who values knowledge and power, it's possible that whomever he takes Sasuke to see and how Sasuke reacts to that meeting could give Orochimaru something that he truly wants to protect. Thus, he might become a worthier shinobi as Hiruzen hoped for. But the dude is still sadistic and so I'm not holding out hope for this outcome as narratively neat (he knows Edo Tensei seals so he could unsummon Madara) as it would be.

Then there's the question of pacing. With Orochimaru and Sasuke in transit somewhere, can they reach their destination before Tobi finishes his plan or Madara destroys the Kage? I'll leave these questions for the rest of you. Until next week Allied shinobi...

One Line Reviews
    • Yaaarggh, there be (mild) spoilers here! Enter at ye own peril!
    • Assassination Classroom 1 debuts in Weekly Shonen Jump with an intriguingly dark premise, though one I'm skeptical can last sustain a series if taken at face value.
    • Bleach 500 was a bit of a letdown. It deftly hit the emotional beats of Ichigo being unable to help Soul Society in its time of need, but I expected something bigger and a little more grand for a landmark 500th chapter.
    • One Piece 674 surprises and impresses with how easily it allows our erstwhile heroes to be dispatched by the bad guys. Of most interest this chapter is the ending and what it could mean for a new world order in the series.
    • Gantz 367 brings the action back to the side characters and introduces the next (final?) stage in this cataclysmic water between species.
    • Tower of God S02 Ch21-22 closes out the Untrustworthy Room test on a satisfying if expected note. What's of most interest is what's coming next for the series with the promise of a new floor (25F), Part I characters, and backstory for Baam.
    • But the Pick of the Week has to go to Billy Bat 75 and 76 which does a number of excellent things. Protagonists meet and push the story forward. Side characters tie into past events in surprising ways. And Urasawa sends the story in even stranger places with chapters that take a decidedly horror bent.
    Last edited by blackjack612; July 11, 2012 at 09:47 PM.

2. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackjack612 Reviews Naruto 593 Orochimaru Resurrected

Sasukes going to meet the man that knows everything?

Wonderful, the Dos Equis Most interesting man in the world snuck into naruto.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks black,very short this time. I must admit that I didn't like this chapter entirely,I was disappointed by the fact oro could came out from that CS enhanced with kabuto's body,rather than the totsuka sword. also,it looks like oro is not the one who knows everything,and there is "them"...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

**Steals Sasuke's Body

im surprised nobody voted for this. 1 vote for this.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner DeathLion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like we are forgetting a major pair, who is old enough to know any hidden truth,,

only one pair is left alive and that is konoha elders....

I am pretty much sure they will be THEM

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Socrates's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the good review.

Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they will get rid of him again,but maybe he will fight tobi or madara. it'd be cool to see him fighting madara,though,although the latter would stomp him quite quickly.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member number12michael's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattiaildivino View Post
    I think they will get rid of him again,but maybe he will fight tobi or madara. it'd be cool to see him fighting madara,though,although the latter would stomp him quite quickly.
    Maybe Sasuke wants orochimaru to help him unlock the sealing blade itachi had.....it would be effective agents madara
    "Keep Eating Shit For The Rest Of Your Life " - 愛憎のロクサーヌ- Roxanne of Love and Hate

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it obvious that the person Sasuke needs to talk to is his father? Orochimaru can use edo tensei... Maybe I arrived at the wrong conclusion but it seemed obvious at the time I read it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Does his father know everything?
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

ahahah,indeed. fugaku is weak and useless,surely he is not the one who knows everything. "isn't it obvious?" NOT AT ALL!

New Reply