Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gantz should've already ended

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Uruguay
    Post Thanks / Like

Gantz should've already ended

Well, my english is not the best, but I want to share my opinions in order to see if someone else thinks like me.

I think Gantz is falling in the same mistake as other manga series: is not ending.
    In my opinion, if the giant robots would destroyed the tower and the whole spaceship, that would ve a great ending for this serie that is one of my favourites.

Instead of that, the robots were forgotten, and suddenly, the aliens were flying away from the earth. That lacked of sense.
    I mean, the humans attacked ONE city of aliens, and they surrender? What about the other ships all over the world?
    But there is more! When Iva Gonde talked, he said that if Kurono doesnt show up, he would crash the ship against the earth. THAT IS STUPID! Sacrifice all his people because he lose a single battle? That was a very weak (and dissapointing) argument.

Thats why Gantz should ve already ended, with a GREAT ending: The robots destroying the pillar, the aliens blowing up and after that, maybe there could be a battle with a survival Iva Gonde, and all the talk with the super-alien-demi-god-with-lot-of-faces.

Well, sorry for my english again, and please, comment, I want to see if someone is agree with me. I know its hard to say that you want to end a serie you like, but I rather that, than the bullshit that happened with Bleach, Heroes, Lost, etc etc (for example).
    Last edited by cosapocha; April 17, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member A_N_G_E_L's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz should've already ended

I agree with most of it!
    What I wonder is, where those towers just on the main ship or on every ship? If they are on every ship, it would not destroy all the ships at once(unless people destroying those towers in every ship around the world at the same time). If that tower was just on the mothership, it would be a bad idea from the aliens if the destruction of that tower would eliminate all the other ships too.

There is still so much unexplained and so many plot holes.U.U

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Uruguay
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, you are right.
    But I think that those questions will never be answered. I mean, how many ships there are in the world? The most important landed in Japan?
    (ejhem, where are the vampires? ejhem).

With what you disagree?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think the main problem is that Oku is TRYING to end it. My theory is that the reason why Katastrophe became more and more like a superhero story is because that is the only way Oku knows how to end it. He thinks the story finally needs it's big hero to overcome everything and become the Miracle Guy.

As awesome as Kei is, maybe he should have stayed dead to give everybody else half a chance How about Muscle Rider as the lead? We'll need to get him a motorbike or something though.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

@A_N_G_E_L: It seems to me that there is only one alien spaceship (The Mothership!). So I guess maybe they did a couple of laps around the Earth dropping off their nuke/robot things and then settled in on sexy Tokyo city just because.

It's still very bad design not to have a backup tower lol, but apparently yeah, that was it. We must have missed an epic battle while Katou's group was looking for a way out of the slums or whatever. Nishi's mech was surrounded by hundreds of air ships AND soldiers on the ground. Well at least dozens. Enough to make the Americans sweat

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

^Maybe. That's probably why the invasion failed.
    I find it lame that almost all alien invasions/contacts/crash happen either in New York or Tokyo. I found it pretty refreshing and more realistic in District 9 when the alien ship landed in South Africa.

The way how things go right now, I really wonder that this is exact the ending that Oku had in mind. Didn't he said that the ending of Gantz will be like an orgasm? The sad thing is, if you want to have a comic, manga, movie, tv-show, etc published you need help of some company. But the problem is that your hands will be tied and you are not allowed to put certain things in the comic, even worse; they actually can change the story completely!
    I.e. wasn't Tae supposed to look ugly and then the publisher forced Oku to draw her pretty?

If I ever do a comic or cartoon, I'm staying independent because it is my idea and my work! Even if it will not be as famous as the published stuff.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Has Tae really changed that much? I can't remember. I don't remember her ever being ugly, just a bit of an outcast. They definitely redesigned Nishi though. He had such a creepy looking face in the beginning.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

She looked pretty bland for a main girl in the beginning, drawn almost like a background character. I don't know that he did some designs before they published Tae the first time, but I know that a comic artist has to show the pages(often in the raw form)and wait for revisions from the publisher.

I don't like how some of the characters are drawn now. Personally liked the old version of Nishi a lot more. His look fitted his age and the ugly/cuteness fitted his personality. Now all the main characters have a similar base design and go towards the bishounen-same-face-problem that lots of artists have.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I generally like them both. Only character I don't really like the look of is Reika.

One unfortunate side effect is that the more unique side characters really stand out imo. There's heaps of them, and when you see one it's like fuck, why can't he/she be a main character

Spoiler show

The guy in red should get his own spin off series right away. Can be the story of how on earth the retard in green survived this long.
    Last edited by Damura; April 18, 2013 at 08:34 PM.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    Actually I think the main problem is that Oku is TRYING to end it. My theory is that the reason why Katastrophe became more and more like a superhero story is because that is the only way Oku knows how to end it. He thinks the story finally needs it's big hero to overcome everything and become the Miracle Guy.

As awesome as Kei is, maybe he should have stayed dead to give everybody else half a chance How about Muscle Rider as the lead? We'll need to get him a motorbike or something though.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

@A_N_G_E_L: It seems to me that there is only one alien spaceship (The Mothership!). So I guess maybe they did a couple of laps around the Earth dropping off their nuke/robot things and then settled in on sexy Tokyo city just because.

It's still very bad design not to have a backup tower lol, but apparently yeah, that was it. We must have missed an epic battle while Katou's group was looking for a way out of the slums or whatever. Nishi's mech was surrounded by hundreds of air ships AND soldiers on the ground. Well at least dozens. Enough to make the Americans sweat
    For what i understood the aliens here invaded much like "Independence Day" movie aliens did (search on wiki if u never heard about the movie lol), there is 1 massive mother ship that is the bulk of their power and holds most of the population, and there is a bunch of smaller ships that were deployed of the mother ship to the various parts of the world. Those smaller ships have man power and fire power to exterminate people and the like but they are nothing compared to the mother ship, so if u take that one down you pretty much won the fight.

The tower Nishi was attacking was prolly some sort of massive power generator or some structure that was holding the foundation of the ship (every building have key columns holding it up after all) so if it went down the whole ship would go down, it did bother me quite a bit that there were still many gants mechas around when nishi/kurono were fighting and none got close to finish of that tower since it only needed one extra hit to go down but i guess Oku didnt think that was a proper ending.

I dont mind Kei being made a hero but the problem is the writing lately is extremely poor, in the previous arcs Kei would save the day because everybody else was either too scared or to weak to do it and it worked fine since gantz teams could only rely on themselfs and there was no outside help. But now there are thousands of other gantz in the ship their lifes and everyones lifes on earth depends on killing that giant and everybody is just fine watching Kei go mano a mano with the alien? Oh and Oku didnt switch protagonists because thats a very risky move, it is very difficult to kill the main char and introduced someone else the fans accept the chances of it failing and you losing popularity are quite great reason why you dont see any mangas going that route.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Feels like Oku is more lose and creative when it comes to random characters. But it often is a sign that they die quickly.

As much as I dislike Kurono for being so overpowered(or Gonde suddenly so weak), I still prefer this fight over those "Reika cloning Kurono and naked gantz-dude went for a walk" chapters. Have the feeling that Oku was forced to do that story, because people were butthurt about the fact that Kurono picked Tae over Reika.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

@Unholy: The tower was actually responsible for shrinking the aliens, their continent and everything in it. As the Americans said a while back, the inside of the alien ship is actually much larger than the ship itself appears from the outside. (does that make sense?)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

@Unholy: The tower was actually responsible for shrinking the aliens, their continent and everything in it. As the Americans said a while back, the inside of the alien ship is actually much larger than the ship itself appears from the outside. (does that make sense?)
    Depends, if im understanding it correctly that tower created some sort of space distortion or any other sci-fi crap to allow a much larger object to fit in a smaller container, kind like a device that could get a basketball inside a beer bottle for instance. If thats what it did taking it out would destroy the ship and everybody inside since the continent/people would get to their original size and not fit inside the ship breaking it.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Intl Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Lsshin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

using normal science, no it does not, but we must remember this guys are MUCH more advance than we are, and if we grab a bit from Stark Trek and their Space Wrap, it could be possible for such a highly advance civilization could use something like space wrap to wrap an entire planet, heck even a galaxy if we push our imaginations a bit more lol

What the devil is soccer? Did you mean sucker? God I am a sucker coach then? Is football my friends and that game where people use their heads to hit other people is not worthy of being called football, call it tackle ball, and respect football the way the rest of the world does.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Coolperson1145's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Where did they say the tower or ship was much bigger on the inside? I don't remember that being stated specifically. But either way, it sounds like the same technology they would use for the TARDIS in Doctor Who, "it's bigger on the inside."

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast