Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Title: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
    Episodes: unknown
    Aired: October 2,2012 to ??
    Producers: Brains Base
    Genres: Comedy, Romance
    Based on a Manga: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Summary:

Mizutani Shizuku is the type of person who only cares for her own grades. But when she accidentally delivers lesson notes to Yoshida Haru, he becomes convinced they are friends.

Haru turns out to have a very innocent personality, but who would've thought that Haru would actually confess to Shizuku?

A cold-hearted girl and super-troublemaker romance with a fresh new perspective.

Comment:

The first episode surprised me with being really funny, entertaining and refreshing. Most of that relates to the main characters, who absolutely don't fit the usual romance tropes. The boy is not mister charming nor is he a bad boy. He and the girl are outcasts, both for different reasons. Don't expect some heavy drama though, it was a nice mix of comedy, romance and a tad bit drama. When you finished watching the first episode you will probably realize that this anime/manga is completely throwing away the usual formula of such series but I think I'm starting to repeat myself.
    This series could definitely be a surprise hit of the season so give it a try

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

I think what makes this series actually different and stands out is the laid-back atmosphere you're talking about, nii-kun. Even from the way the animation is shown, we are not to expect this to be like Kimi ni Todoke, for example. It feels like an open door, with so many things to encounter, in a fun way than being serious or dramatic.

After watching the first episode, I'm loving it! It's funny, crazy, but nailed you at the right place. It is always nice to see how two different people getting in contact with each other, and changing their worlds. Fresh and funny. I'm looking forward to how these two make friends, and eventually for them to realize the special feeling for each other.

Although at the end of the episode, Yoshida is such a jerk.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is one of those animes that surprise you and come out of nowhere. I didn't here anything about it before, but for some reason I tried it and I'm glad I did. Most romance anime/manga are pretty much the same to me, a shy girl or guy likes the charming/beautiful girl or guy. This is totally different, the main characters are outcasts like niichan said. Haru is a genius idiot that never comes to school and Shizuku is an emotionless book worm. Quite a weird pairing but it works. The support is great to from what I've seen, Natsume is an idiot but the scenes with her and Haru made me laugh. Surprising that she "lives her life on the web", didn't expect that. Sasahara seems like a cool guy too, the blonde guy was kind of shown last episode but not much. Can't wait to see the full cast.

Also, the most shocking thing was how fast-paced this is, the first episode itself expanded all the way to mid-terms. The first kiss happened so quickly,
    Spoiler: Episode 2 spoilers show

I'll definitely be following this more.

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Limit, completely. The title and summary was not impressive at all, so to say honestly. But I'm glad I gave it a try. I enjoyed the first two episodes so much, including what Limit wrote in his spoiler box. I didn't expect that coming. I thought I would just be happy looking at how Haru and Shizuku open up to the world around them more. I didn't imagine it would be this fresh and lovely!

It feels more and more like Kimi ni Todoke in terms of personality-changing, although in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun both main leads are equally badass in their own way, LOL~ One of my new favorite anime, definitely.

I wonder what that last scene in episode 2 has something to do with the next episode. Will it, or won't it?

And the preview scene. It made me laughed till the end. "Chicken, chicken, chicken.... TIME TO CHOW DOWN!"

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

As in the case of Sukitte Ii Na Yo, at first I don't want to watch this since I want to stay out of shoujo anime for a while but I do not know what happened to me. I guess I just can't stay away from handsome 2D characters no matter how hard I try. I start to feel they're going to be the death of me (due to heart beating too fast). *sigh*

Since I am fond of seiyuu, I'm interested in Haru coz he's voiced by Suzuki Tatsuhisa (the seiyuu of Noctis FFvXIII). Ho, he didn't disappoint me.

Haru and Shizuku are interesting characters. "Make one peep and I'll rape you"? Wow, that's new. It's really fun to see the interactions between two very different characters like them. Haru is actually just a soft-hearted foolishly genius beast, while Shizuku actually have emotions locked inside her.
    I just when he said he likes her though... I mean what's with guys liking girls so easily? And saying love so easily... I can't understand that. :/
    Somehow this is similar with Sukitte Ii Na Yo... This one also ends with a kiss... Argh~~ Wakanai~~~

I'll be back once I watch eps 2.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I can only agree with Limit and phio, a hilarious and yet so sweet show

This is really far from the usual formula and I really, really like it. And this refreshing formula is done so well too

most things were already said but there was one thing that totally cracked me up.

Shizuku: Y... You said that you love me.
    Haru: Yep, I love you Shizuku.
    Shizuku: In a romantic way?
    Haru: I would totally do you~

and Shizuku's face after that made it even more hilarious I really love this show

11. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Limit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post

I wonder what that last scene in episode 2 has something to do with the next episode. Will it, or won't it?

And the preview scene. It made me laughed till the end. "Chicken, chicken, chicken.... TIME TO CHOW DOWN!"
    I think the last scene has something to do with another character we'll mee, hopefully. It's kind of nice to watch how other people act around shizuku and Haru. Sure the students in the class got used to his antics, but it's still funny when they're talking to him like Natsume and Haru.

And yeah, the chicken is too funny.

@Naruto-nii that part was hilarious. xD Haru is too straight forward. My funniest moment would be when Haru grabbed Shizuku and threatened to rape her, idk that was just too funny for me.
    Last edited by Limit; October 09, 2012 at 12:29 PM.

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you niichan for sharing and rec was awesome

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Since I am fond of seiyuu, I'm interested in Haru coz he's voiced by Suzuki Tatsuhisa (the seiyuu of Noctis FFvXIII). Ho, he didn't disappoint me.
    Damn. Thanks to K and its amazing seiyuu I've been checking seiyuu lately, and can't stop feeling surprised everyday for finding facts behind the amazing voices. Now this is the newest one. And I agree, totally not disappointing at all. I think he portrayed the super-wild Haru and calm Haru perfectly. <3

Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    I just when he said he likes her though... I mean what's with guys liking girls so easily? And saying love so easily... I can't understand that. :/
    Somehow this is similar with Sukitte Ii Na Yo... This one also ends with a kiss... Argh~~ Wakanai~~~
    It is indeed strange, but the series is good in its strange-ness.
    At times I wondered too how they could say 'like' or 'love' so easily when they barely in contact with people throughout their lives so far, but I guess it just came on to you when you feel it.

I'll be back once I watch eps 2.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Shizuku: Y... You said that you love me.
    Haru: Yep, I love you Shizuku.
    Shizuku: In a romantic way?
    Haru: I would totally do you~

and Shizuku's face after that made it even more hilarious I really love this show
    I like all the hentai remarks Haru made, LOL~ Hey, don't get me wrong. Not the hentai part itself of course, but the way he said/did it so casually and Shizuku trying to stop herself from getting embarrassed is pure fun. XDD

Quote Originally Posted by Limit View Post
    I think the last scene has something to do with another character we'll mee, hopefully. It's kind of nice to watch how other people act around shizuku and Haru. Sure the students in the class got used to his antics, but it's still funny when they're talking to him like Natsume and Haru.

And yeah, the chicken is too funny.
    Yeah, the main point of this anime is how these two make friends anyway. They found Natsume-chan already, more to come. It would be interesting.

Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn. Thanks to K and its amazing seiyuu I've been checking seiyuu lately, and can't stop feeling surprised everyday for finding facts behind the amazing voices. Now this is the newest one. And I agree, totally not disappointing at all. I think he portrayed the super-wild Haru and calm Haru perfectly. <3
    Yeah, at least this is a remedy for our bleeding hearts due to the unclear news about FFvXIII's release... We get to listen Suzuki Tatsuhisa's voice as a training before we listen to Noctis. :P

It is indeed strange, but the series is good in its strange-ness.
    At times I wondered too how they could say 'like' or 'love' so easily when they barely in contact with people throughout their lives so far, but I guess it just came on to you when you feel it.
    I don't believe in love at first/second/third sight, so I guess that's why I can't understand it. I still don't like how they say it so easily but since the other aspects in the plot are good, I'll leave it.

Oh, and I've watched Eps 2 already. Poor Shizuku, she's so confused and getting red-faced so many times. I understand her feelings, I used to be like that long time ago but I'm glad she can accept her feelings for Haru. I'm glad that she's unlike the typical shoujo heroine, good for her.
    Natsume is cute when she's being cute though I cringe every time her voice turns rough.... That's... amazing for someone with her face.
    Last edited by yukihime03; October 10, 2012 at 06:14 AM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Lomahongva's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually don't watch shojos, neither read I, but this could be interesting. I'll give it a try (if I gave it to Sukitte Ii na yo, why not this one?).

Ok, I'll return once I watch eps 1 & 2.
    Last edited by Lomahongva; October 10, 2012 at 07:47 AM.

Let's meet up in the New World! Oh, ok, but I'm the one who's gonna find One Piece! Hi hi hi!

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

New eps! The more I see this anime, the more I like it... So sweet~

This eps is so funny. Shizuku insisting that she was lying and Haru responding like that... I let out the same scream as Shizuku. :P

Now the four of them are officially best friends?

I have the feeling the blonde guy will be a rival or something.

Shizuku, always despairing on what Haru means...

"let's spend the night together." LOL~ Haru, why do you always say misleading things like that?

Yuzan... is Haru's brother? I wonder why Haru avoids him... He's also handsome.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The series is getting better and better

Haru is just hilarious (and ridiculously strong too, I laughed hard when he send that guy flying with just one arm ) and so likeable. He really acts like a little kid sometimes but he can be surprisingly mature too. Shizuku already falling in love with him was so unexptected, this series seriously is doing this soooo different and I love it

And my favourite quote of this week:

Shizu making some fried rice for Haru and offering him some pickled vegetables
    Haru: You're awesome Shizu! Just like one of those countryside grandmas!

priceless, I love his compliments!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted lawlett-kun's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Just got caught up.Episode 2 was okayish for me.Ep 3 gave me several laughs haha.Loved how Haru was automatically punching the blonde guy, when he was touching shizuka. Lol. SO the Yuzun guy is his brother?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the first two episodes better than episode 3. Still, that doesn't mean I don't like it.

Episode 3 was opened with such a strange way. I almost popped my eyes out when Haru did that. Even after he explained it in the end I still wasn't satisfied. How could it be different?! Geez, so dense. But exactly that is why I love them, even through it all they're still attracted to one another, hehe~ Yuzan looks like an interesting character as well. Running, running, I wonder from what~

nii-kun, my favorite line would be...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshida Haru
    Don't touch her.

24. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast