Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Significance and implications of Claymore names

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ryus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 128 Spoiler thread

First off wifi is getting insanelt taxed here, I'll likely not be posting much soon

Second, I hope the name meaning of Octivia means she's joining up with the ghosts due to being a completed half awakened by that I mean she fully awakened but keptvher human mind and doesnt eat people but choose to hide due not wanting her head cut off or experimented upon.
    I know wishful thinking... but Im gonna wish for it anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Ancy View Post
    Regarding the name associations and their interpretation, I was thinking that Raphaella and Luciella have a very interesting meaning. Rafaella is rooted in Hebrew and means healer, whilst Luciella is another variation of Lucia, which means light...Since, they merged and formed that blob I was wondering if Yagi wants to indicate something about the meaning of the Detroyer - Healer of light or something similar...still science fiction; but quite interesting.

Will the destroyer be the healer that brings light to the ghosts, or Clare to be more precise??
    Thank you for that post (wifi not loading thank button)

Brings back old memories of the name meaning debates we had on animesuki... I love how elegantly you made that post. So simply stated but clear.

I always said Raphaela would be the one to get Clare to realize the self destructive path she is walking, it is why I love her character so much and have always used her as my avatar.
    Last edited by Ryus; July 01, 2012 at 11:16 AM.

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Significance and implications of Claymore names

Clare means "bright, famous" which is befitting a main character since she's destined to be someone important and make a great impact on people's lives. Deneve means "of snow" and she's a rather cold character, on the contrary Helen is hot-tempered and her name means "sun ray".

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Ryus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been able to find the meaning of Deneve, thanks for telling us. It does fit her rather well... I already knew the meaning of Helen and seeing how both names really match both characters it's clear Yagi picks the names of his characters very well.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ancy's Avatar
    Country
    Water Tribe
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Yagi knows how to pick the names of his characters, indeed. Moreover, I assume that there is a proportional relation between the name of the characters ,their personalities, and the way they relate to each other. For example, the meaning of Deneve and Helen, does not only show obvious differences in terms of personality, but it also indicates the dynamics of their complementary relationship. In other words, snow and ray form an unique unit, which can contribute to the growth of a snowbell for example.

What I'm trying to say here is that they complement in other for greater good.

I wonder if the same reasoning can be applied to the relationship between Teresa and Clare. The meaning of their names would be in the lines of The Harvester of Brightness/Fame. However, it is a little tricky to interpret this meaning, due to the multifaceted relation between the two goddesses.
    "I fancy myself as a fine example of womanhood...
    the kind that clambers on a bike and rides off like John Wayne on a horse
    "

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3