Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64

Thread: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

  1. #46
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zehahaha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Country
    Morocco
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    I was more talking about the skills of Caribou, he didn't show anything worth except his Logia, Luffy wouldn't be able to hurt him, but Caribou wouldn't be able to touch Luffy either

  2. #47
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    17,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    I was more talking about the skills of Caribou, he didn't show anything worth except his Logia, Luffy wouldn't be able to hurt him, but Caribou wouldn't be able to touch Luffy either
    Well, being a logia is already a lot for a rookie. I don't know how caribou would compare to pre time skip luffy however he does have a significant advantage in that he is actually immune to punches and conventional weapons, more so than luffy. I guess the safest bet for caribou would be to absorb luffy or something of the sort. It really is impossible to compare physical capacities though. Caribou could easily be significantly superior to pre time skip luffy and the result would have been just what we saw....

  3. #48
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Africa and America.
    Country
    South Africa
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Aren't the Yonkou there to stabilize balance between the Pirate World and World Government?. Beforehand, Roger ruled the entire Pirate World and that's why, the World Government considered him the most dangerous man in the world. Or at least to their power structure.

  4. #49
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lee-tyme7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    923
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    I've heard that all the Yonkou are in a stalemate in the new world. They are equally match that they are just in a standby waiting for their enemies next moves. Maybe some Yonkou doesn't really want the One Piece and they have a different agenda. Like White Beard he only want a family and DoFlamingo want to get rich by establishing business all over the grandline. So if there is a new King of the Pirate then there will surely be Yonkou's to battle with.

    Love is like a hurricane.

  5. #50
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,927
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    I think that the Yonko have probably always existed in one form or another, probably taking on different names and forms throughout time. While the PK on the other hand has been a pirate that doesn't necessarily seem to care about maintaining a balance/peace or amassing power anywhere near as much as he does about "conquering" everything there is on the sea. Sure if along the way to accomplishing his journey of traveling across the world and taking on any and all challenges he does end up creating or help create a balance and amass power then so be it, however that isn't the ultimate goal.

    Regardless of what title the previous keepers of the balance have held from the side of the pirates they seem to have always existed. Otherwise i don't see why the Marines and WG would allow an entire area of the world to be completely governed by criminals who for the most part hate each other just as much if not more so then they do the WG/Marines. And if the only thing standing between the WG/Marines and "justice" prevailing over all of the seas were individual unorganized groups of pirates here and there then they would have been dealt with a long, long time ago.

    Not to mention that those pirates would have probably weakened each other through aimless battles had they not cared about preserving themselves and thus the status quo. If nothing else pure self-preservation has led to pirate groups ruling over the NW which has led to the NW being governed. Keeping peace and order helps keep them safe and in position to gain power/wealth/fame etc. The system that exists in the NW which allows the Yonko to govern the NW areas is clearly complex and a lot more then just pirates planting their flags on islands and having a few allies. We've already seen glimpses of this with the underworld and brokers, and more is sure to follow as we progress into the NW.

    "Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

  6. #51
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    17,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    Aren't the Yonkou there to stabilize balance between the Pirate World and World Government?. Beforehand, Roger ruled the entire Pirate World and that's why, the World Government considered him the most dangerous man in the world. Or at least to their power structure.
    I don't think roger actually ever ruled anything. Have there ever been any hints of roger having any sort of yonko like influence? As far as we know they travelled and eventually made it all the end to the grand line.... More so, every reference to roger suggests he only had one pirate ship and crew so to speak. I mean, we saw roger in the oro jackson at fishman island and we saw roger taking on shiki's fleet in strong world... Roger would have needed thousands upon thousands of allies to have anything like a yonko empire. Even if roger had such a role in the past he did clash with WB so I doubt he could rule the seas unchallenged. The manga has heavily implied that roger cared only for freedom as does luffy according to what he said to rayleigh...

  7. #52
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South Africa and America.
    Country
    South Africa
    Age
    33
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I don't think roger actually ever ruled anything. Have there ever been any hints of roger having any sort of yonko like influence? As far as we know they travelled and eventually made it all the end to the grand line.... More so, every reference to roger suggests he only had one pirate ship and crew so to speak. I mean, we saw roger in the oro jackson at fishman island and we saw roger taking on shiki's fleet in strong world... Roger would have needed thousands upon thousands of allies to have anything like a yonko empire. Even if roger had such a role in the past he did clash with WB so I doubt he could rule the seas unchallenged. The manga has heavily implied that roger cared only for freedom as does luffy according to what he said to rayleigh...
    Roger can still be challenged and rule everything. Isn't that why, Oda deemed him the Pirate King?. Plus, he didn't exactly need thousands of allies, when he'd already traveled all over the world and even, discovered One Piece. Plus, we don't exactly know what One Piece is, but apparently it something that Roger found, which could've gave him the power to be one of the most powerful pirates in history.

    Regarding Whitebeard, he was one of many that challenged Roger, just like Gold Lion and the Marines as well, so that doesn't exactly mean anything to discard Roger's ruling of anything.

  8. #53
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    31,304
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Well, none of the rookies were strong enough 2 years ago. Caribou ultimately served comedic relieve however we have no way whatsoever of knowing how he would have fared against the supernova from 2 years ago. He had a 200 million bounty and a logia fruit, for all we know the other supernova would not have stood a chance against him. On the other hand right now we saw him having to match up against the trained strawhats, each of whom is a beast nowadays.
    If the rookies didn't have haki or logia, or a good logia as counter, then Caribou would have likely won most of his fights.

  9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  10. #54
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    17,612
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by FetherMan View Post
    Roger can still be challenged and rule everything. Isn't that why, Oda deemed him the Pirate King?. Plus, he didn't exactly need thousands of allies, when he'd already traveled all over the world and even, discovered One Piece. Plus, we don't exactly know what One Piece is, but apparently it something that Roger found, which could've gave him the power to be one of the most powerful pirates in history.

    Regarding Whitebeard, he was one of many that challenged Roger, just like Gold Lion and the Marines as well, so that doesn't exactly mean anything to discard Roger's ruling of anything.
    I don't see how roger can have a yonko-ish empire with a small crew. I mean, how does that make sense? We know he travelled, we know he fought, we know that for the most part he got away with challenging the world government and to a large extent beat the living daylights of anyone who got in his way however none of that actually even required a huge crew. He just needed his 10 or so strong members equivalent to the commanders so to speak for that. Overall roger ruling over anything without a huge crew would imply that he got to the new world, just claimed a piece of land, sailed away from it and no one had it in him to bother to say otherwise. Even if roger was halfway through the grand line and he had no allies to watch over his land.... How does that make sense? Even the yonko have to work to keep the peace on their lands and they keep watch over them 24/7.

    Well, to me the shiki bit would be very revealing. I mean, shiki offered roger the chance to rule with him and roger's attitude was to decline because ruling anything would be an issue in regards to him doing what he wants. Ruling is simply something which fits what little we have seen of roger.

  11. #55
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    yes, in order to take the pirate kings position.


    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

  12. #56
    Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Country
    Palau
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,018
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Yonko (Roger's Pirate King Era)



    Kaido, Shiki, Whitebeard, Roger
    Last edited by FaustXIII; May 20, 2013 at 06:56 AM.

  13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #57
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Beika City
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,177
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zehahaha View Post
    Why do you think the Gorosei always cares about the balance ? It's because they know the Yonko, despite being pirates, act like an authorithy in the NW and make some order there

    The very fact that they care about the balance clearly indicates that deep down, they don't believe they can actually control the whole world and especially pirates.

    The Marines alone cannot handle the security in this world, the WG seems to consider the Yonko like a necessary " evil " for " now ", maybe in the future they could be strong enough to handle that, and they seem at least to have gotten a weapon nice enough to handle trash pirates : Pacifista
    Why do you think otherwise? You have nothing to suggest they dont.
    They allowed Sakaizuki to move to New World to compete with the Pirates. They clearly aren't cool with the issues going on in the New World.
    The first time the Gorosei are seen, they are discussing the need to replace Crocodile and the current people causing trouble in the Grand Line.
    They aren't as corrupt as you're making them out to be.

    The decision to have Sakaizuki in New World implies they want to compete with the pirates and protect people in the New World better than before.

  15. #58
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner darth volcaniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Raftel
    Country
    Fire Nation
    Age
    30
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    has anyone brought up luffy's declaration of war against big mama? or his alliance with law to take out kaidou? between these 2 actions and his seething hatred for blackbeard, its safe to say that in so becoming the pirate king, the power known as the yonko will be abolished.

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #59
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    251
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    This is quite a thread! The idea of it seems very open to perception too, how do you perceive the Pirate King eh?

    IMO though, it looks to be like a true thing of recognition, take the ranking orders of the pirates...

    Rookie - after Luffy beat Crocodile up he probably became recognised as a rookie say, because he'd initially made a name for himself that a few started to recognise.

    Supernova - After Eneis Lobby he became recognised as a Supernova (or still a supernova rookie perhaps?), with his bounty and his crew put together equally a considerable amount, and of course many around the world started to notice him, especially at the summit of the war between WhiteBeard and Marines, many people supported him and fought with him, showing they recognised his strength...

    Yonkou - The same must apply to becoming a Yonkou, you must be so strong, that you can command people who aren't even around you, and claim islands as your territory, and even the Government would think twice about taking this island I imagine.

    Pirate King So to me the next step would be becoming above a Yonkou which would being recognised (even by the Yonkou) a step higher, the world and the yonkou would literally have to acknowledge that whoevers called the Pirate King is beyond them, and it wont be as simple as "OMG BUGGY MADE IT TO RAFTEL NOW HE MUST BE PK! LOL DERP".
    Whitebeard may have been the strongest of the Yonkou 2 years ago, but had WhiteBeard tried to call himself a Pirate King, some of the other Yonkou certainly would have contested and if WhiteBeard couldn't have quell the other 3 Yonkou then he certainly couldn't truly carry the title Pirate King upon himself.
    It's similar to the story of Yuan Shu in the romance of the three kingdoms, when as soon as he found the hereditary seal he tried to call himself the new Emperor, but as soon as he said that he was destroyed by the other warlords.
    It's a very honorary title, but one that the world will recognise you for.

    While leaving a lot open to perception this can still fit in with Luffy's/ Rogers idea of being a Pirate King, recognised by all as a king, and free to do whatever/go wherever they like.

    TL DR?
    I believe that the Yonkou can still exist even with Pirate King, but they'd have to acknowledge the Pirate Kings above them, and that they shouldn't pick a fight with him unless they want to get destroyed.
    Last edited by BetaRuler; June 02, 2013 at 12:47 PM.

  18. #60
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,545
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: When there's a Pirate King, are there Yonkou?

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Rookie - after Luffy beat Crocodile up he probably became recognised as a rookie say, because he'd initially made a name for himself that a few started to recognise.
    So far simply every new pirate is considered a rookie. Bellamy was called a rookie in Jaya, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Supernova - After Eneis Lobby he became recognised as a Supernova (or still a supernova rookie perhaps?), with his bounty and his crew put together equally a considerable amount, and of course many around the world started to notice him, especially at the summit of the war between WhiteBeard and Marines, many people supported him and fought with him, showing they recognised his strength...
    They're called supernova outside the manga in titles only. They're called "Super Rookie" within the story. The limit is to gain a bounty of 100 Million Beri or more, and either to get to Sabaody Archipelago or to be active on the New World like Bartholomeo.

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Yonkou - The same must apply to becoming a Yonkou, you must be so strong, that you can command people who aren't even around you, and claim islands as your territory, and even the Government would think twice about taking this island I imagine.
    Well the Yonkou for once came up after Roger was executed much like the Shichibukai which were created to counter the power of the Yonkou.

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Pirate King So to me the next step would be becoming above a Yonkou which would being recognised (even by the Yonkou) a step higher, the world and the yonkou would literally have to acknowledge that whoevers called the Pirate King is beyond them, and it wont be as simple as "OMG BUGGY MADE IT TO RAFTEL NOW HE MUST BE PK! LOL DERP".
    The pirate king is the strongest pirate out there who gained fame and wealth, and who mastered the Grand Line by going to Raftel. But in the end, as chapter 0 implies the title "King of Pirates" was something the Marines announced while preparing Roger's That's the current ruleset.

    Quote Originally Posted by BetaRuler View Post
    Whitebeard may have been the strongest of the Yonkou 2 years ago, but had WhiteBeard tried to call himself a Pirate King, some of the other Yonkou certainly would have contested and if WhiteBeard couldn't have quell the other 3 Yonkou then he certainly couldn't truly carry the title Pirate King upon himself.
    Whitebeard never tried to become the Pirate King even though he was stated several times to be Roger's strongest rival. His dream was to have a large Pirate Family, which he had.

New Reply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts