Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: does anyone else dislike allen?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member redcorpse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone else dislike allen?

i used the search function (not only here ...) but i couldn't find anything, so i hope you don't mind.

i don't intend to bash him or anything, but does anyone else don't like allen? i talked about this with some friends and we came to the conclusion that we don't like him because he has changed (duh).
    at the beginning, i thought he was really sweet and i really liked him, but at some point i realized his character has changed. it's not a heel face turn, but he had slowly changed i think. lenalee also commented on this i think (was after the zombie attack, lol). i would love to explain exactly why i don't like him, but i've forgotten a lot what happened .. and honestly, after the recent chapters, i don't care about dgm as much as i once did anymore ..

so, your opinions?

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Niko_kun's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: does anyone else dislike allen?

i just LOVE allen! He is the best protagonist... he is lovely, friendly, brave, gently... this is my opinion =)
    visit my brazilian D.Gray-man fan site. - www.dgraybr.blogspot.com

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Mango-chan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Allen has gradually changed since the beginning of the manga, and I think it's something everyone knew could happen when almost from the get-go there was a known conflict of interests between Allen and the Order and the 14th messing with his head.

With that said I can't say I hate the changes, the current Allen Walker has a special blend of true grit and crazy, and has recognized he isn't as open minded as he likes to think he is, from personal experience that can be a pretty miserable thing to realize. ._.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fuff's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

i was wondering what is allen personality like now? in the beginning he was the polite nice guy...what is it now?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Niko_kun's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fuff View Post
    i was wondering what is allen personality like now? in the beginning he was the polite nice guy...what is it now?
    I think that he continue the same, but, he has a different point of view about something... like the horrorible things that the Order made before, and how they treat the exorcists. It's a lot of information on his mind, and he has just 15 years! In this fase, he's constructing his personality, and there's a lot of problems. But I believe that he's just the same. =)
    visit my brazilian D.Gray-man fan site. - www.dgraybr.blogspot.com

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, foobar. I liked Allen up to chapter 186 - before the hiatus. I liked how he was getting more down to Earth with his personality, and loved his rejection of the 14th. It made things very interesting.

Afterwards though, it felt he got... more flat. Sure, the Order and the Innocence do horrible things. What else is new? We did have the Suman arc. We did have Leverrier and know the Order is Fascists R Us.

It really culminated in his taking Alma and Kanda away from the battlefield. I could understand Kanda, but Alma? I feel Allen killed his chance of recovering the Thirds right then. Had Alma been destroyed by the Innocence while he was alive, the parts of Alma would be destroyed as well. Well, this is more of a hunch, but makes sense since whenever an akuma is destroyed, the associated smaller parts are also destroyed. Cut the head off and the body will follow. Anyways, then the Thirds could've been recovered instead of becoming soulless tools.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member clamche's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Allen is not the same anymore after the Kanda arc. I liked his personality and character in the beginning of the series, when things were simple and there was no 14th. Allen was strong and all, but his recent changes...,well , I don't like the way he is acting or thinking. The 14th makes thing even more complicated for Allen, i don't even know which traits of Allen's character are his own and which are from the !4th's influence. Allen was very sweet and funny and serious till the 14th came out. I mean now everything is messed and Allen is a martyr, acting so not-knowing-what-is -the-right-thing-to-do and so drama. I mean it is as if Allen has lost everything he had gained throughout the series.
    I still like him, but it is not the same. i hope Allen soon changes and begins to act all cool again. I just want him to do something more Allenish now. I think that the 14th is becoming the main character and Hoshino prefers to develop him more than Allen, who is put on the background.
    I loved Allen and I still do, but the thrill is gone. He still remains my N1 and most favorite anime character, but only the old one.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

You people forget different options about the 14th wich make you look different to Allen as to how he also could be. Explain? ^^

-Allen and 14th are 2 different entities, where the 14th realy is implanted in Allen. In wich case all you say is true about him changing etc etc.

-Allen and 14th are actualy the same person, and the boy *red* is already long gone, Allen simply suffers from amnesia or sideeffect from him returning, he is the 14th. The erosion is simply him learning he aint that boy but the 14th and his entire past as son of Mana and being a exorsist crumbles down.

The last makes him a different person then the boy in wich case a lot of the ways he reacts makes more sense.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why people are so adamant that Allen as a child is how he "really" is, and that its a good thing that he's slowly reverting back to that personality. His life was incredibly shitty back then, his snark and his brattiness were a result of neglect and child cruelty. While Allen is opening up and becoming more brash and snarky, it is no way because that's how he was as a child. (or at least, I wouldn't want to associate the two together)

To answer foobar's question, I've always loved Allen. And I love how he's grown throughout the manga. He really was a shell of a personality back at the beginning, and Mana's death still hung over him like it had just happened even though it had been 5 years. But when he started opening up with people at the Order and made friends, it gave him a different kind of purpose than before...and that is to live for himself, which is what he has been trying to do ever since.

I think why people feel dissatisfied with Allen's character development is that, he makes us question the Messiah archtype. Unlike a lot of other stories I've read, Allen imposes his Messiah complex on himself. He starts the manga wanting to save the souls of the akuma, but then over the course of the story its gone from akuma, to humans, to even showing sympathy for the Noah! Heck, he flipped out when he thought he killed the Apocryptos! At the same time, Allen has been more prone to getting violently angry. Cross had to stop him when he when ape-shit on the Earl in the Ark. And when Madarao said he wished he could have Allen's eye curse, he almost punched him. It is because Allen's anger and frustration is so very real that it undermines and cancels out any martyr-like qualities he'd like to have.

To answer Ca12nag3's question, I believe the 14th and Allen to be two separate people, though one person can always influence the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango-chan View Post
    With that said I can't say I hate the changes, the current Allen Walker has a special blend of true grit and crazy, and has recognized he isn't as open minded as he likes to think he is, from personal experience that can be a pretty miserable thing to realize. ._.
    I so did not see this post! I totally agree!
    Last edited by Teeba; March 15, 2011 at 02:10 PM.

15. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I didnt realy ask a question but i stated out that there are 2 options for who and what Allen+14th are/is.

So im not going to jump to conclusions on Allens personality. Being it 2 entities or even 3 or just 1.

Either way Mana,14th,Allen and Crown Clown all affect eachother and it will be increasingly difficult to tell what Allens intentions are.

About what you said Teeba, Allen and 14th might be the same person however the 14th noah essense is a entity as well.

Look at Tyki or Skin Boric for example we clearly saw the 2 entities, the noah-host and the noah-essence. Wisely even explained it.

So to make things a little less complicated i believe Allen to be the 14th and no longer that boy called Red. Also from the Novel comes a clue as well as 2 chapters ago when Cross mentioned the mistake when he called himself Allen... cause Allen isnt the boys name. And he called himself Allen its not that Mana or anyone else started calling him that.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Teeba's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering Kanda ended up being an exorcist "refitted" into a younger body, I wouldn't be surprised if the story was something similar with Allen. :P

And yes, you are right about Tyki and Skin, they had two distinct entities that sort of merge together. Allen's Noah is different because to me, it seems like the 14th and Neah are more unified than all the other Noah members we have seen, besides the Earl. It can be argued that because the 14th and Neah have merged together, taking over Allen's body is purely for the sake of coming back from beyond the grave to finish what he started.

I guess my logic is a bit odd, I consider the 14th (or, Noah of Destruction) as noah genes, and Neah as its former host. The two of them combined to form what we consider "the 14th" who is trying to gain control of Allen's body....I've never thought of Neah and Allen being the same person, and if they were the same person, then I don't see how that kind of plotline would resolve itself without Allen erasing his existence as Neah.

I hope that makes sense. :S How I've seen Allen's progression in this manga is a bit personal, it would deeply upset me to find Allen realizing his persona was a lie and then suddenly have to own up to who he was previously (as Neah).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ying_su's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Luckily Allen changed: from a semiwomanchild to a real man, with the consequences of his experiences in his matureness.
    I just love him, more now than before...

(You guys know how hard is to present this manga to new people that will surely like it as it is now but need to read the poor art and all the initial cliché ruling in the first chapters??
    Please, dont blame me because of what i just said, when i started to read it years ago i simply loved it, but now i read too few mangas and I only continue reading DGM and 2 others.
    But DGM has won A LOT and matured --together with Hoshino-sensei, i guess--, since the beginning and Allen is the real proof of it.)

TIMCANPY FOR THE WIN!!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I always found Allen to be an interesting and unique protagonist. Reason being he is nice, but not all heroic and pure like Goku, his dark side is also hilarious. I also love the fact that he is a Noah, and I like that he is strong but is honestly quite weak at the same time. Many heroes are all powerful and rarely if ever lose or need help from other characters, Allen is strong and still has main character power but he has needed help from just about all of the other characters at one point in time and never did officially beat Tyki (pretty much dying the first time and Cross had to fight Tyki the 2nd).
    For anime debates and more check out http://yoiinori.wordpress.com/

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dlanor_A.Knox's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I love him! His personality did change but that wouldn't be that strange if you look what he has seen and what happens arround him. I think his personality is quite realistic compaired to characters (from another anime, ofcourse ;3) and he's also a one of a kind.
    They have slaughtered millions of Teemos... Pentakill is coming!!!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member luna_wolf's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

this may sound wierd, but i love the fact that there are times where I realy disagree with what he is doing.
    overall i love his character with a fiery passion, and the fact that he makes mistakes and changes over time makes me enjoy his character all the more, because it makes him seem so real.
    the way he tries to adapt to an impossible situation of being caught in a three way struggle between the heart, noah and the 14th fasinates me, because its a situation that involves both internal and external disputes and everyone is so narrow minded and stubborn so that is just creates conflict.
    i dont know why but all of this combined just makes this manga and allen's character exciting.

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast