Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 35 Discussion

MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 35 Discussion / 36 Predictions

Weirder and weirder indeed.

As for the ape titan -- weird speculation, but maybe a range of primates can have titan forms?

Definitely sounds like another faction, but I don't think this faction knows about Eren (since they didn't even know about the 3D manuever tech.) I wonder if they attacked because they heard about Annie's failure and have decided to take advantage of that.

As this titan is the most coherent we have seen thus far, I wonder why he has an agenda to kill humans. Blocked out history perhaps? Maybe humans originally used a thing that gave the titan ability but most of them went insane. Humans then had to maintain control, so titans had to be used as a servant race. Things got out of control and humans had to retreat behind the walls, using the colossal titans they had created?

Or I'm way off. This series loves presenting more amounts of "holy shit we're all screwed" than factoids to determine the plot. It's nice because it's a reminder that that the mystery is solved in little puzzle pieces from circumstances instead of a single monologue.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Knifeshade's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haegar View Post
    on second thought the really momentous revelation this chapter is not ape dude talking to mike but rather the fact that he is giving his orders to the lowlifes in human language, TOO thus likely confirming yet another speculation voiced before: All Titans used to be human at some point in time?
    I don't think so. Second panel on this page makes me think this is the first time the ape titan has interacted with a human, otherwise what's up with the unfamiliarity and need for that sentence. If you were human-based, of course you know they can understand you.

Quote Quote:
    I wonder why guys like him did not show up before, if there are more of his kind they should have been able to take down the walls anytime they wanted?
    You could say the same thing with the colossal titan. Why doesn't he just show up and take down all the walls and destroy humanity. He has the capabilities (when you compare to how much effort it took to take down one Annie in the forest).

Far, far, far too many mysteries without any glimpse of an answer. I shall be looking forward to next month's chapter. Hopefully the spotlight will follow on the ape titan and we finally see the titan's side. Upto now we've always been given the story from the humans' perspective.
    -

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by haegar View Post
    on second thought the really momentous revelation this chapter is not ape dude talking to mike but rather the fact that he is giving his orders to the lowlifes in human language, TOO thus likely confirming yet another speculation voiced before: All Titans used to be human at some point in time?
    The ape titan (who I shall henceforth refer to as Big Foot) hinted at such here. While asking about the 3D gear, he noted Mike's sword, commenting that humans must have some clue what is hidden in their nape.

When his face was first revealed, Big Foot reminded me of the Priest from chapter 34. That became impossible upon learning Big Foot had no knowledge of the 3D maneuver gear. Over the last few chapters we learned that Titans were built into the walls. This is immediately followed by a breach in Wall Rose, with seemingly no one knowing it had happened. Now we see a deviant Titan with no knowledge of 3D Maneuver gear. Could it be possible that Big Foot had been walled in, and then freed by Annie's cohorts after her defeat?

Big Foot speaking was yet another interesting ability of deviant titans. I would assume that means he was a human, just like Annie or Eren. He is probably considerably more experienced at transforming than Annie, learning to speak in his Titan form.
    Last edited by Kaiten; July 08, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Could it be possible that Big Foot had been walled in, and then freed by Annie's cohorts after her defeat?
    Negative. It almost's like he was on a mission, when he said he'll take back the gas tank(?) to....whoever/wherever.
    -

The Original 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

This series is becoming better and better and I am loving it. The Ape Titan, when I first saw him and after he spoke, I had this thought may be he is one of the earliest Titans created. Although, I haven't formed any theory but looking at him, I can't stop relating him with the evolution theory (ape--->man). Could it be the Titans are in evolutionary stage? They are meant to become or have a human-forms? Perhaps, to use their powers while remaining humans or as close to humans. The coherent ability Ape Titan showed was freakish. Taking Annie or his kind down will become more daunting, almost hopeless at times.

His lack of knowledge about the gear instantly made me think of another faction. May be the experiments are carried out by more than one group. Now what confuses me, if he is an experimental human like Annie, he should know about the gear. Or was he detained? Another thought crossed my mind was, can he be the original titan? The others are experimented based on the original titans that were either extinct or scarce? I think I should stop, I have too many half-cooked theories at the moment ^^;

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Impossibility's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

So, this chapter was unexpected. It seems clear that the new titan is, at the very least, operating under a faction that differs from Annie's. His meeting seemed to be driven by curiosity more than anything else. He seems unfamiliar with humans in general, which would indicate that he has no relation to Annie. He seems to have tremendous intelligence and control. Whether or not he is an entirely different class of titan remains to be seen. His unfamiliarity with humans, almost as though they were playthings, would give some credence to the theory that he differs from Annie and Eren. This, along with the obvious difference in appearance, supports a theory that suggests that he doesn't have a human form, but is some form of advanced titan.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DassJennir;2946376]There was also that extra chapter where a Titan was trying to talk before going crazy and kill that woman who was part of the legion (Ilse was her name).
    So yeah, i also believe this is a plausible possibility.[/QUOT

This chapter again brings a necessary emphasis regarding a regular titan's level of self control. I believe we saw this first in the situation you describe here. Even in this chapter we see where the deviant class told the "lowlife" to hold on, but the little bastard proceeded to gnaw on Mike's legs regardless. Before it was even established that titans don't eat humans based on a necessity but as we're seeing now again perhaps they don't do it entirely for pleasure either.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knifeshade View Post
    Negative. It almost's like he was on a mission, when he said he'll take back the gas tank(?) to....whoever/wherever.
    Thus far the belief of Irvin, and other Scouting legion leaders, was that the deviant class Titans came from within the walls. Annie confirmed this, as did the priest, though he protected whatever knowledge he has. Had Big Foot come from within the walls, like Annie, he would have known about something as mundane as 3D Gear. It almost seems as though he came from outside the walls, without having had any contact with humans in a very long time. Given what we now know, it is also possible he had been walled in, thereby explaining his lack of knowledge. He seemingly took the 3D gear out of intellectual curiosity, not because he had too.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Is George R.R. Martin who's writing this manga?
    In this way, the manga will end with the extinction of human specie.
    Last edited by AlpM; July 09, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner YujiroPain's Avatar
    Country
    Mozambique
    Post Thanks / Like

is it just me or you guys also realized that this story is very similar to Claymore. segregated humans, strange creatures that prey on humans and now we find a new faction of creatures. maybe this two factions are at war and Annie's side is using the village to breed more titans in secrecy. who knows

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Impossibility View Post
    So, this chapter was unexpected. It seems clear that the new titan is, at the very least, operating under a faction that differs from Annie's. His meeting seemed to be driven by curiosity more than anything else. He seems unfamiliar with humans in general, which would indicate that he has no relation to Annie. He seems to have tremendous intelligence and control. Whether or not he is an entirely different class of titan remains to be seen. His unfamiliarity with humans, almost as though they were playthings, would give some credence to the theory that he differs from Annie and Eren. This, along with the obvious difference in appearance, supports a theory that suggests that he doesn't have a human form, but is some form of advanced titan.
    I totally agree with you.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Given what we now know, it is also possible he had been walled in, thereby explaining his lack of knowledge. He seemingly took the 3D gear out of intellectual curiosity, not because he had too.
    I don't disagree with most of what you say, Kaiten. So just gonna quote the bit which I do, which was what I was kinda arguing against anyway.

I don't think Big Foot was walled in. It may be possible, but I'm leaning more with 'no'. The walled in colossal-sized titan we saw looked just like any "normal" titan we've seen upto now. Big Foot is practically the exception and breaks the weirdness meter. We can all safely agree he's part of another faction/species.

If he was walled in, somebody had to have broken him out. But who would do that in broad daylight, because you'd need titan-esque strength at the very least (which should certainly attract a little attention).

And then we have 'why?'. The events that unfolded when capturing Annie and the meeting after occurred in the same day. The stuff that happened in Chapter 35 occurred 2 days before these events. If Annie had accomplices, they shouldn't have known about it, theoretically speaking, or at the very least wouldn't known Annie will definitely get captured.

My opinion is that Big Foot is the one who broke down Wall Rose, and leading a pack of normal titans, is on a "mission" of some sort. I should have clarified my other post. The lesser titans broke out into a run when the 104th squad was escaping. Even Mike thought it was weird, so we have to conclude that ain't normal. Big Foot has to somehow be giving orders to the lesser titans. What his purpose is, that's up in the air right now. But it sure as heck isn't retrieving Eren from the interaction we saw between him and Mike.
    Last edited by Knifeshade; July 10, 2012 at 03:33 AM.
    -

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member nyamonyamo's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlpM View Post
    Is George R.R. Martin who's writing this manga?
    In this way, the manga will end with the extinction of human specie.
    Haha. they have the same way of writing. Killing off characters without any second thought. And in the most horrible imaginable way.
    I know there's a term for the opposite of disney effect where characters are saved through a miracle.

Back to topic, talking deviant...humanity certainly looks doom. Their only bet is the secret the palace is guarding. Maybe the king was one of those who created titans in the first place.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Mariejoa
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really great!
    I don't even know how much more epic this manga can become. And the thing is that now we've got even more to think about as there are more mysteries than we've had before. If it's true that this guy isn't with Annie's group, then it will be even more problematic as humans will have to face multiple enemies. Though it might be that just this guy didn't know anything about 3D Gear as it was familiar to Annie as she was trained in Scouting Legion.
    About the fact that Titans were humans at some point - yes. I do believe that there was some experiment in a distant past and human scientists managed to make human become strong with this genetical technology, but then something went wrong and only a small amount of Titans became like Annie and Eren and most of them became like this. Of course it might be that it wasn't just a sudden misfortune and it may happen that actually it was a controlled act on King's part in order to control his people, but it might be even more complicated. I believe we will learn more or less about this, when Eren gets to his house. I believe there he will find the answers to who started these experiment, when and for what purpose. I believe it will be damn interesting and I believe Eren's father was among those who started it. And I think he might be still among those who continue doing this. The question is on who's side is he?

P.S. I agree that this manga looks really Martin's style and I see it more like seinen than shounen... Berserk, for example.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Eh, i dunno...this chapter seemed a little repeatative to me. Once again a titan attack and some new kinda titan coming and hints at new things...a formula we've seen a couple of times before. Wish the mangaka would find some other way to progress the plot. I liked the annie parts because it felt a little different with all the plannings and everything. Also the theme about mike here 'no dignity can hold on in the face of overwhelming terror' or something similar scribbled at the end of the chapter was definitely something we've seen before and did not merit such explicit emphasis once again.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree with your point about the repetition of this formula (cause its true) but to tell you the truth I rather enjoy how this manga progresses. It keeps me entertained whilst maintaining an unwavering level of intrigue. Sure some things are reinforced, but how is that really a bad thing. As a monthly series you may find that they have to do this quite alot. Also that theme you mentioned I believe is best viewed not necessarily as a theme as much as a necessary staple in a manga that deals heavily with the imminent annihilation of the human race via giant humanoid monsters. I think this is something that should just appear off reflex on the author's part just to maintain a sense of consistency in the overarching tone of the series.
    And as for your point about whether it deserved such "explicit emphasis", I say..... who cares just as long as its entertaining and doesn't cripple the manga as a whole structurally, besides that was only a small part of the entire chapter added for dramatic effect and shock value obviously- nothing harmful. I did enjoy the chapters with Annie more but nobody said this was the best chapter ever, regardless it was still an entertaining chapter.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast