Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Will Liar Game be licensed in English?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gananime's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Liar Game be licensed in English?

I've been wondering if Liar Game is ever gonna be licensed in English....I had started with it based on a recommendation from a blog & it turned out to be super awesome

If ever its gonna get licensed, I would collect all its volumes! Since Young Jump belongs to Shueisha, maybe Viz. can license it...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Liar Game be licensed in English?

If I was an American company, there is no way I'd consider licensing it until the series is finished. You don't go into business with someone who is incredibly flaky unless it is worth it financially and the headaches caused by long hiatuses make it questionable if it would be worth it.

I know it would be years before they would catch up to the current time and it is possible that the series could finish before it ever catches up, but I have a hunch that it will catch up during one of the many hiatuses the series takes.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member gananime's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah but the same's the case with Hunter x Hunter. Even then Viz took up licensing it & reached up to vol 28! And they always have the option of dumping it if it doesn't sell well (like Reborn or Gintama)

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member andysislands's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Either Viz or Dark Horse are the most likely companies to pick it up. Though Viz seems to not be picking up any similar titles right now... so it's a bit hard to say. But it's something I could see Dark Horse getting, and they did get Gantz... so it's possible.

Not having a complete series is a good thing too... In terms of sales numbers... your highest number of sales will be your first volume. Then your second volume, then your third. So you will be making the most amount of your money in the first couple volumes you sell. If you then get a "hit," your overall number of sales will either maintain at a high level or rise. So as long as a company like Dark Horse continues to release volumes and the series doesn't bomb, you will make money until you run out of material. Then once more material is made, you release another volume and make more money. Plus it helps combat scanlations if you are closer to the Japanese release. Waiting for a series to finish is just losing money at this stage in the manga-licensing game.
    That huge Hiroyuki Takei fan, who's has been around for a long, long time....

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member MangaPage's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

It's possible, but I don't think it's likely it will ever happen. Liar Game's irregularity and long breaks in chapter releases make it difficult for it to have a very solid fanbase and popularity, despite being a high quality manga, so I don't think american companies would take the risk to publish something that isn't very popular in Japan. Like Reclaimer said there is also the issue of the american version catching up to the japanese one. It's not a huge problem, Liar Game is licensed in French and I think also in Spanish, for instance, but if you add it up to what I said before and to the fact that it's not really a wide-public manga, it makes it highly unlikely that it will ever be licensed in English. France is a different thing, you can't compare it to America in terms of manga publishing. Gananime mencioned Hunter x Hunter, but that's a different thing altogether: if I recall it only started entering in hiatus since about 2006, which means that from 1998 to 2006 it had plenty of time to build a long and uninterrupted story and adquire a solid fanbase, and it's also a different kind of manga. Plus, it was licensed in English in 2005, which is before it's chapter releases started becoming irregular.

That being said I do hope it can one day be licensed in English, it's an interesting manga and deserves international popularity.

New Reply