Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 598

Thread: Sword Art Online

  1. #1
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sword Art Online

    Sword Art Online




    Title: Sword Art Online
    Episodes: Unknown
    Status: Ongoing
    Aired: July 7, 2012 to ??
    Producers: A-1 Pictures
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Romance
    Based on a Novel: Sword Art Online


    Summary:

    Escape was impossible until it was cleared; a game over would mean an actual "death"―.
    Without knowing the "truth" of the mysterious next generation MMO, 'Sword Art Online(SAO)', approximately ten thousand users logged in together, opening the curtains to this cruel death battle.
    Participating alone in SAO, protagonist Kirito had promptly accepted the "truth" of this MMO.
    And in the game world, a gigantic floating castle named 'Aincrad', he distinguished himself as a solo player.
    Aiming to clear the game by reaching the highest floor, Kirito riskily continued alone.

    Opening Theme: "Crossing Field" By LiSA
    Ending Theme: "Yume Sekai (Dream World)" by Haruka Tomatsu

    Spoiler: Japanese Cast show


    First Impression:

    8.5/10

    The premise looks interesting and the characters seem likeable, I already know that I will like Kirito a lot XD He seems to have a inner conflict of "I want to do things alone" and "I want to have friends" which is nothing new but makes me interested in him. Besides that, the animation was really good and seeing as A-1 Pictures is producing it I'm having high hopes I read the first two chapters of the novel a while ago and it seems they are faithful to story, even though the start was quite different.

  2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  3. #2
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    If it wasn't for Kajiura-sensei, I wouldn't have decided to watch this anime, since naturally, it's not my genre...

    ...but after watching the first eps...
    Kirito is so cute and he seems to be a strong character. I really like how he has a strong will to survive though he's a bit too accepting. His words at the end in the eps just made me give a big applause to him.
    At the beginning, I have my doubt, but at the end, I just wanted to shout awesome!

    Oh, and of course the music is gonna be awesome. It's a bit deja vu though with Fate/Zero, since Kajiura-sensei also worked on the music and LiSa sang the opening song.

    I just hope that unlike a certain anime with great beginning but bad plot story, SAO will have a great plot story and characters. I put a lot of faith in this one.

  4. #3
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    WHAT?! Kaijura-sensei is working on the soundtrack?! Then it is a must watch. Enough said. At least to listen to the soundtracks.

    Checking this right now, will add my comment later! <3

    P.S.: I think I know hat anime you're referring to, yuki, if it involves Kajiura-sensei?

  5. #4
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    If it wasn't for Kajiura-sensei, I wouldn't have decided to watch this anime, since naturally, it's not my genre...

    ...but after watching the first eps...
    Kirito is so cute and he seems to be a strong character. I really like how he has a strong will to survive though he's a bit too accepting. His words at the end in the eps just made me give a big applause to him.
    At the beginning, I have my doubt, but at the end, I just wanted to shout awesome!

    Oh, and of course the music is gonna be awesome. It's a bit deja vu though with Fate/Zero, since Kajiura-sensei also worked on the music and LiSa sang the opening song.

    I just hope that unlike a certain anime with great beginning but bad plot story, SAO will have a great plot story and characters. I put a lot of faith in this one.
    It's from a highly praised novel so if they stick to the original the story won't be anywhere as bad as GC

    what do you mean with too accepting? you mean that he's accepting the game (and that they have to clear it etc.) too easily? I feel like he's not too attached to the real world anyway and he said he's feeling more comfortable in SAO so I can kinda understand his reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    WHAT?! Kaijura-sensei is working on the soundtrack?! Then it is a must watch. Enough said. At least to listen to the soundtracks.

    Checking this right now, will add my comment later! <3
    Who is this Kaijura-sensei you're talking about?

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    P.S.: I think I know hat anime you're referring to, yuki, if it involves Kajiura-sensei?
    She mentioned Fate/Zero, didn't she?

  6. #5
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Who is this Kaijura-sensei you're talking about?
    Kajiura Yuki. She is a talented composer and musician. She works with various series previously, from .HACK, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, to Pandora Hearts. She manages a vocal group too. I believe you have heard of FictionJunction previously? ^^

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    She mentioned Fate/Zero, didn't she?
    True, but I thought Fat/Zero was kind of successful? I guessed she was referring to TRC.

  7. #6
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Yay a thread was made. The first episode was pretty good, and I thought the soundtrack was amazing.

    The credits song was great (and it's actually supposed to be the opening music), and the music that started playing after Kirito threw the rock at the boar was fantastic IMO.

    There were a few weird things though, like the guy pretending to be a girl online, and then getting upset when the guy he was talking to wasn't 17...I guess they tried to show a few things that probably do happen IRL lol.

  8. #7
    4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Academy City
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    15,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    That was fun and I kinda get the "Accel World" vibe from it. I expekt a lot from this show because most of this summer's shows seem to be moe moe kyuun (not that I mind.... )

  9. #8
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    WHAT?! Kaijura-sensei is working on the soundtrack?! Then it is a must watch. Enough said. At least to listen to the soundtracks.

    Checking this right now, will add my comment later! <3

    P.S.: I think I know hat anime you're referring to, yuki, if it involves Kajiura-sensei?


    I saw the trailer when I visited canta-per-me.net... and the song is so glorious in the trailer.

    P.S.: Umm... no. That certain anime didn't involve Kajiura-sensei though it also have great OST.

    ---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    It's from a highly praised novel so if they stick to the original the story won't be anywhere as bad as GC

    what do you mean with too accepting? you mean that he's accepting the game (and that they have to clear it etc.) too easily? I feel like he's not too attached to the real world anyway and he said he's feeling more comfortable in SAO so I can kinda understand his reasoning.
    Oh.. okay. Let's hope for the best then.

    I know and understand his reasoning, but it's still a matter of life and death. If he's not too attached to the real world, he won't try so hard to win the game since winning means living. I expect a little bit more of inner conflict. Oh well, maybe it's in his characters that he's confident, clear-headed and focused. The type of guy who will do his hardest to reach the goal if given one, no matter how weird/unusual the goal came into being.


    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    She mentioned Fate/Zero, didn't she?
    Oh, she's referring to the 'certain anime' I mentioned, but actually you already nailed it by mentioning GC. I really didn't expect you to know what I mean.

    ---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Kajiura Yuki. She is a talented composer and musician. She works with various series previously, from .HACK, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, to Pandora Hearts. She manages a vocal group too. I believe you have heard of FictionJunction previously? ^^
    ..and don't forget Kalafina.

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    True, but I thought Fat/Zero was kind of successful? I guessed she was referring to TRC.
    The answer to that question has been answered.

    ---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    Yay a thread was made. The first episode was pretty good, and I thought the soundtrack was amazing.

    The credits song was great (and it's actually supposed to be the opening music), and the music that started playing after Kirito threw the rock at the boar was fantastic IMO.

    There were a few weird things though, like the guy pretending to be a girl online, and then getting upset when the guy he was talking to wasn't 17...I guess they tried to show a few things that probably do happen IRL lol.
    Right?? I'm waiting to see more of the soundtracks.

    Haha, I thinks so too. When playing RPG, it is not unusual to have a guy playing girl's character (or the reverse) or playing as younger/older character.

  10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #9
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Right?? I'm waiting to see more of the soundtracks.

    Haha, I thinks so too. When playing RPG, it is not unusual to have a guy playing girl's character (or the reverse) or playing as younger/older character.
    I NEED that boar fight music. Can't wait for the OST to come out.

    Yeah it's not too unusual...but I've never seen the case of a guy pretending to be a girl for the sake of being with another guy...
    Klein was a little strange too when he called Kirito's actual appearance cute

  12. #10
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Nice music, overall. From the ED and the backsound music, I think they all fit the scenes they are used to, and helped to make me enjoy the series more. At the beginning it was rather flat, but I liked the ending. Especially the last few seconds when they showed a panel with a list of names of all the players, and that so many died. I really thought it was cool, LOL~

    I'm more interested in knowing how that man could have his avatar as a girl. When the mechanism of work of NerveGear was explained, with all the estimation of size of body, it would be hard to change gender from what I can think of. Unless an option to change gender is possible from the game.

    I can't wait for the next episode!

  13. #11
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Kajiura Yuki. She is a talented composer and musician. She works with various series previously, from .HACK, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, to Pandora Hearts. She manages a vocal group too. I believe you have heard of FictionJunction previously? ^^

    True, but I thought Fate/Zero was kind of successful? I guessed she was referring to TRC.
    Haven't watched any of the series you mentioned and no, haven't heard of that group

    From what I heard Fate/Zero is praised and labeled as the best Fate series so far


    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    Oh.. okay. Let's hope for the best then.

    I know and understand his reasoning, but it's still a matter of life and death. If he's not too attached to the real world, he won't try so hard to win the game since winning means living. I expect a little bit more of inner conflict. Oh well, maybe it's in his characters that he's confident, clear-headed and focused. The type of guy who will do his hardest to reach the goal if given one, no matter how weird/unusual the goal came into being.

    Oh, she's referring to the 'certain anime' I mentioned, but actually you already nailed it by mentioning GC. I really didn't expect you to know what I mean.
    Just lookie HERE. Probably the most praised novel atm.

    Well for him this probably isn't just related to clear the game and thus survive. I believe he enjoys being in this world and clearing it might give him the appreciation/acceptance he lacked in the real world. I believe he's thinking something like "Oh well, the game is fun and if I clear it something good might come out of it". Very basic but I think you get what I mean. Plus he probably gains self-confidence through being good at the game.

    Thought it was clear, it's the only show I remember (besides Fractale maybe but that wasn't as bad as GC) which had superb animation but which story was so bad. Huge disappointment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    Klein was a little strange too when he called Kirito's actual appearance cute
    I thought the translation was a little off there, he probably means that he looks quite good in his real form too so there's no need to be ashamed (or there wasn't even any reason to change his appearance in the first place).

  14. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #12
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Age
    21
    Posts
    9,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Kirito is probably in denial? Even though he said that he was a huge fan of Kayada Akihito to understand that this crazy idea was true, I think deep inside he didn't really believe it. That he just had to clear up few floors and everything would work out eventually. Or, he really just didn't care about the real world at all. From the brief opening scene, he didn't seem to care about his sister off to wherever she went to, and the way he talked about his family with Klein gave me the same impression.

    P.S.: Anyone who doesn't know Kajiura-sensei lacks quite an amount of happiness her musics can bring.

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #13
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zatono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,777
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I thought the translation was a little off there, he probably means that he looks quite good in his real form too so there's no need to be ashamed (or there wasn't even any reason to change his appearance in the first place).
    I dunno man, I'd have to check again, but I'm pretty sure he said kawaii.

  18. #14
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    My Castle
    Country
    Winterfell
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    I NEED that boar fight music. Can't wait for the OST to come out.

    Yeah it's not too unusual...but I've never seen the case of a guy pretending to be a girl for the sake of being with another guy...
    Klein was a little strange too when he called Kirito's actual appearance cute
    Yeah... but OST album is always annoying for the fact that it always comes out late.

    Well... people has different taste and reasoning.
    Hahaha, I almost he was gay or something until I heard Kirito's reply. I think he only means that Kirito's real appearance is already good.

    ---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I'm more interested in knowing how that man could have his avatar as a girl. When the mechanism of work of NerveGear was explained, with all the estimation of size of body, it would be hard to change gender from what I can think of. Unless an option to change gender is possible from the game.

    I can't wait for the next episode!
    I think at first (before the whole thing about you-will-die-for-real-if-you-die-in-the-game was explained) the option to choose gender for the character was available. Every RPG game is like that, right? So people who played will have no suspicion...

    I can't wait too!

    ---------- Post added at 12:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Just lookie HERE. Probably the most praised novel atm.

    Well for him this probably isn't just related to clear the game and thus survive. I believe he enjoys being in this world and clearing it might give him the appreciation/acceptance he lacked in the real world. I believe he's thinking something like "Oh well, the game is fun and if I clear it something good might come out of it". Very basic but I think you get what I mean. Plus he probably gains self-confidence through being good at the game.

    Thought it was clear, it's the only show I remember (besides Fractale maybe but that wasn't as bad as GC) which had superb animation but which story was so bad. Huge disappointment.
    But still... I'm hoping that he was freaked out a little bit. Life and death are not simple things. Looking at his reaction there, I almost think that he actually expects this thing to happen. And I'm curious as to what will happen if he manages to win and come back to the real world.

    Hmm. I see.

    Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I thought the translation was a little off there, he probably means that he looks quite good in his real form too so there's no need to be ashamed (or there wasn't even any reason to change his appearance in the first place).
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatono View Post
    I dunno man, I'd have to check again, but I'm pretty sure he said kawaii.
    He did say "kawaii" but I think it's for the reason niichan said.

    ---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Kirito is probably in denial? Even though he said that he was a huge fan of Kayada Akihito to understand that this crazy idea was true, I think deep inside he didn't really believe it. That he just had to clear up few floors and everything would work out eventually. Or, he really just didn't care about the real world at all. From the brief opening scene, he didn't seem to care about his sister off to wherever she went to, and the way he talked about his family with Klein gave me the same impression.

    P.S.: Anyone who doesn't know Kajiura-sensei lacks quite an amount of happiness her musics can bring.
    I think it's more for the reason that he is unattached to the real world. A dangerous thing, that is, since no one can escape real life. Clearing the game is the same as returning to the real world, after all. I hope this anime can bring a little bit philosophy about living in real world and game world.

    P.S.: Indeed. Or the epicness her music can bring to one's life. I always feel that my life is an epic one after listening to her music.

  19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  20. #15
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Holy Grail
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sword Art Online

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    But still... I'm hoping that he was freaked out a little bit. Life and death are not simple things. Looking at his reaction there, I almost think that he actually expects this thing to happen. And I'm curious as to what will happen if he manages to win and come back to the real world.

    He did say "kawaii" but I think it's for the reason niichan said.
    Well don't forget that he's... 15 when the story starts (IIRC). Not sure if it was stated in the series but it gets mentioned in the novel. He sure isn't a little baby but kids that age sure have another understanding of life and death then we have. Everything is more simple and you only start fearing death when you're on the verge of dying. Probably going to happen exactly that way.

    And yeah, that's what I meant. He probably said kawaii/cute because of the girls who would see him as cute and thus there's no need to worry (Kirito probably isn't anyway but it would fit Klein's character in my opinion).

    Quote Originally Posted by yukihime03 View Post
    I think it's more for the reason that he is unattached to the real world. A dangerous thing, that is, since no one can escape real life. Clearing the game is the same as returning to the real world, after all. I hope this anime can bring a little bit philosophy about living in real world and game world.

    P.S.: Indeed. Or the epicness her music can bring to one's life. I always feel that my life is an epic one after listening to her music.
    Yeah that's the other factor because he wasn't really freaked out. For now he probably doesn't think much ahead but I'm pretty sure the theme of denying the real world (and fleeing into a virtual reality) will come up. After all it's a recent and contemporary problematic.

    You can link to a song maybe? I want to hear if I like the songs as much as you two do.

New Reply
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts