Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Social Status in Shoujo/Josei

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Social Status in Shoujo/Josei

Many shoujo/josei has main characters with different social status. Rich guy with poor dirt girl or wealthy girl with a pauper guy. Usually, it will lead to a conflict with the family.
    What do you think about this difference in social status? Do you like it or do you think it is cliche? Why do you think this trope is popular? Can you give us an example of good/bad use of this trope?
    You are encouraged to share and discuss your thoughts!

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Social Status in Shoujo/Josei

It is popular because... it offers drama. I think those who read shoujo/josei series will be interested in that kind of drama too. That's why it is popular.

I like it generally. I don't really have a preference when it comes to things like this. It is rather cliche maybe but that's how this genre goes with, haha~ I'm good with it since I like to see drama and conflict and the solution to it.

When I try to remember, I can't get many series with such huge difference in social status between the main couple. I remember Nagatachou Strawberry, in which the girl is the son of president or something while the boy is rather a poor commoner...

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity yukihime03's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Social Status in Shoujo/Josei

I'm instantly reminded of Ouran High School Host Club when I think about the trope.
    If you ask me, I don't like that social status always gets in the way. By now, it's cliche for me since I encountered a lot of shoujo with this trope. But Ouran is an exception since they take it up to eleven. Tamaki and friends who are ridiculously rich wants to know how "commoners" (in this case, Haruhi) lives. They are even amazed by the sight of instant coffee. The social status becomes a part of the comedy.
    Spoiler show

New Reply