Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Berserk 330 Discussion

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Berserk 330 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Aazholh View Post
    Well, there you have it. Miura succeeded in keeping us in suspense for six months. This small arc had nothing to do with or add to what has already happened in the story. Could easily have been omitted. Of course, the fanboys are eating this up like it's filet mignon. For what reason? A small glimpse into Guts' childhood? I , for one, would rather focus on what the hell happens after the Seagod or what's going on in Griffith's story.
    so would Miura, i only hope he finishes it before....

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ladylola's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aazholh View Post
    Well, there you have it. Miura succeeded in keeping us in suspense for six months. This small arc had nothing to do with or add to what has already happened in the story. Could easily have been omitted. Of course, the fanboys are eating this up like it's filet mignon. For what reason? A small glimpse into Guts' childhood? I , for one, would rather focus on what the hell happens after the Seagod or what's going on in Griffith's story.
    I think you failed to comprehend what this arc is all about. It's not just to show a glimpse of Guts past, but to show that he was always able to see elves and met one before he met Puck. And the way he reacted to Puck when he tried to heal him could be caused by this "trauma" he experienced with Chichi. I think deep down Miura always intended to show this story but didn't have the opportunity to do so. Besides it's a great way to introduce the next part of the story now that they're close to reaching Elfhelm.
    Also this arc came out to celebrate the release of the Berserk movies. In fact I would have liked it if Miura expanded on this period of Guts life, before he met the Band of the Hawk, with maybe revealing some details about his life like his first time with a woman, because I'm sure Caska wasn't the first.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that this side story is just shoe-horned in. The ability to see elves isn't that uncommon in the Berserk world. The guys in the tavern harassing Puck didn't have any problem seeing him. Guts didn't pause and reminisce about poor Chi Chi when they were torturing Puck.

Guess Miura decided that Guts needed an extra layer of sympathy to his character. Totally unnecessary, we all know that deep down inside Guts is a good person.

Only reason Miura decided to do this was because of the new "movies" that are coming out. Don't know why he's so excited. The movies are pieces of shit and actually keeps people from investing in reading the manga. So many opportunities missed because of these terrible adaptions.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNM5GOQCko

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

You're just upset because you want them to get to Elfhelm already. But the truth is we don't get to decide when that happens. Personally i want Miura to get to the Elfhelm part of the story without delay, but i'm afraid he's going to get back to Griffith and Falconia before he does that. That means we're going to wait another year or two before we actually get to that goddamn island.If that's the case then we'd might as well get "filler" chapters, as long as the art is good and the story interesting. Because let's face it, Griffith pretty much realized his dream at this point. All there is left is the mariage that is going to be celebrated all over Falconia. I'd rather not have too much chapters cover that part of the story because it's going to be Griffith is our saviour, he's so handsome yaddy yadda. It's really not that interesting if you ask me.
    I'm ok with fillers as long as the story focuses on Guts.
    Last edited by ladylola; July 17, 2012 at 07:04 PM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well there is the possibility that this was a prelude to Elf island, or that it was impact the later story than what it has with the current story. The art is always classic, the story was a new one, still not the best in the many sub-plots of Berserk but it was good enough I think. Maybe it was the repeated usage of the past of the main character again?

Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to think it's a way to introduce Elfhelm, but it seems too soon considering that the crew just finished dealing with the Sea God. Unless there's a time skip while Guts is remembering these moments of his past, I can't see Miura making them arrive at Elfhelm so soon . But if that's the case I'd be more than happy^^. I don't want him to spend too much time on the other plot involving Griffith.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

He better have them arrive at Elfhem in maximum 3 chapters after he starts again!
    We've been promised the Elf Island for years!

And, even though the Sea God arc wasn't bad, I want the Elf Island now!
    And I want Caska healed!!

The only thing, in my mind, that could potentially push back the Elf Island Arc, is an arc focusing on Griffith!

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Aazholh's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    He better have them arrive at Elfhem in maximum 3 chapters after he starts again!
    We've been promised the Elf Island for years!

And, even though the Sea God arc wasn't bad, I want the Elf Island now!
    And I want Caska healed!!

The only thing, in my mind, that could potentially push back the Elf Island Arc, is an arc focusing on Griffith!
    If it means prolonging the wait, then the odds are we'll be Griffith pretty soon.
    "You see, I am a colossal pervert. No form of sexual depravity is too low for me. Animal, vegetable or mineral - I'll do anything to anything!" - Bishop of Bath and Wells (circa 1563)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsNM5GOQCko

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity llamapie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Remember how these things exist but only those willing to see them will see them? Well this arc establishes that Guts has always been willing to see these things. Anyhow I don't see the problem with the arc. I think it will become obvious why Miura gave it to us in the long run. It could possibly be a dream as well of Guts remembering the past.
    Give the best manga of all time some attention!

# of "Miura will die before Berserk is finished" comments(since Nov. 1st 2008): 96

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say that while this seems disjointed, or possibly just a filler to tie into the movies themselves being backstory, but I don't think it is.

Remember, last we heard of Guts, he was mostly dead on the inside of a sinking Sea God, which means this is likely not just a flashback, but Guts remembering, recalling the past for some reason. Yes, it's nice that he's always been able to see fairies, but unless there's a good reason for bringing that up right now, I think it's got something to do with the context in which we will find Guts to be still alive. In retrospect I hope these chapters feel right at home, like a dream he had right before being woken by a fairy that looks just like Chichi, having washed up or somehow otherwise made it to Elfhelm.

Wishful thinking, but Berserk doesn't tend to let us down, when it shows up...

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Friday's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad Chi Chi didn't make it
    maybe a prelude to after Elfheim Island Arc???

so when's fall in Northern Hemisphere?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

it will be in sept man.

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Friday's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 102jayday View Post
    it will be in sept man.
    GREAT!!!!! 2 months to go and counting.......

thanks jayday

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member 102jayday's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

So basically like his pattern the last year has been...3 chapters then a 3 month break. Heres hoping when he comes back next we get 5..

Manga Berserk, Gantz, Rurouni Kenshin, Claymore<3 Fav Anime FMAB! Gundam seed, Nana, InitialD.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member FetherMan's Avatar
    Country
    South Africa
    Post Thanks / Like

Elf Island, maybe Guts learns to use magic or something. I like his sword fighting and gun play, but I'd like to see him use magic in some of the upcoming battles too. Would be cool, I think.

What's up with that kid, too!!.

New Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast