Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Ichigo's mask?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Ichigo's mask?

So.... anyone ever wondered what happened to ichigo's mask? So far he has neglected using it which is kinda weird. Could he have lost it after using saigo no getsuga tengo 2 years ago? Or perhaps rather than a mask he simply has that fullbring related armor (which has hollow origins since fullbring is a hollow originated power)? Or perhaps he has not seen the need to use it so far? I mean, bankai was enough to deal with kujo and he did best Kirge without his mask. Alternatively, it is plausible he does not want to use it? Fullbring would have potentially strengthened shirosaki as it was a hollow related power which would add to his share of power so perhaps there is some risk in ichigo using his hollow powers? Or perhaps it has something to do with zangetsu ripping shirosaki out of him. Ichigo got use of his hollow powers when he defeated shirosaki and absorbed him into his body. Of course, that would not quite explain why he was able to meet zangetsu during his training as back zangetsu was supposed to be a part of shirosaki earlier. Any thoughts? Will we see another mask?

~ Forum Fixer ~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Miyagi's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ichigo's mask?

As you mentioned, there are many possibilities. My current view on the matter is that Zangetsu and Shirosaki merged to make a perfect shinigami/hollow hybrid and Ichigo doesn't need a mask anymore to make use of his hollow powers. In other words he's in a permanent masked state without having to wear a mask. Judging by the length of chain on his zanpakuto's hilt, he seems to have gotten a lot stronger even though he hasn't trained since he lost his powers, IMHO this is the reason why. I believe the effect of fullbring on his shinigami and/or hollow powers is marginal though because it was stolen by Ginjou.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkBankai's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I am of the opinion that the reason we did not see his mask when he fought the fullbringers was because his shinigami side and hollow side remained in balance after the FGT. He lost his powers, but then got them recharged. they were depleted but in balance- as is evidenced by his white colored Getsuga tenshou.

now- when the quincy appear and try to seal his bankai, only a part of his bankai filled the medallion and from that point onward ichigos getsuga tenshou remains black. This suggests to me that the balance he had created in the training to get the FGT was upset. Ichigo as of yet, has not restored the balance nor even entered his inner world. - I personally would have tried to enter my inner world to regain my power (*but ichigo isnt that smart) and even he could have entered his inner world after he got his powers back from SS and defeated the Fullbringers.

I think now that he is in jail, and is becoming upset mentally, his hollow side, is going to manifest. I think this is when we will see the mask again or perhaps a more hollowfied fullbring suit or something. I think that Urahara is facing Hichigo version that we have not seen yet but then the story just stopped there and we get to see whats happening in SS.

Also, since ichigo was in jail and can hear the battles, I think it is remotely possible that he heard the Captain commander get his ass handed to him and that was the final straw that unleashed ichigos inner uberness.

Just some speculation- but I think its got at least some possibility.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Grekaosangel's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It should be noted that Ichigo, while in that Jail of Kirge's, has a very suspicious line of blood on his face. I believe you can clearly make it out here:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/bleach/v53/c503/10.html

This makes me wonder if in his desperation we'll see the Hollow side again or not? The blood is simply too far precise and similar to the markings we see on his mask to assume that we'll never see the mask or shirosaki again. I'm really hoping the next time we see Ichigo this will be resolved.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, when Ichigo did his Dangai training and learned the FGT, he seemed to achieve perfect balance between his Hollow and Shinigami powers. Then he learned Fullbring to get the powers back, which as you say are Hollow-based powers. When he finally got his true Shinigami powers back, they were slightly different, so it looks like they were affected by his Fullbring. I would guess that his new powers have retained a combination of Hollow and Shinigami powers like before, but now he's got a better grip on his Hollow side through learning Fullbring, so they're kind of blended. So basically, his powers have been in a state of harmony since he regained them. But then we got this page:

http://www.mangareader.net/bleach/503/10

And some odd things are going on there. We can see Bringer light, and a pattern appearing on Ichigo's face resembling that of his latest Hollow mask. I think what's happening is that the despair of being helpless whilst hearing Soul Society being torn apart is throwing Ichigo's powers out of balance. It's interesting that the pattern is forming directly on his face rather than on a mask, though. Since Fullbring is a Hollow-based ability, learning it must have affected Ichigo's Hollow powers somehow. Maybe they've been refined in some way.

Actually, I've just had a thought. The markings appearing on Ichigo's face remind me of this:

http://www.mangareader.net/bleach/477

Ginjou was a human-shinigami hybrid with Hollow powers who mastered Fullbring - which is exactly what Ichigo is now. When he went bankai, his Hollow powers also sprang out, and that's what he ended up looking like. So to answer your question, I think Ichigo's Hollow powers are now going to manifest through his entire body, rather than just in the form of a mask.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DarkBankai's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grekaosangel View Post
    It should be noted that Ichigo, while in that Jail of Kirge's, has a very suspicious line of blood on his face. I believe you can clearly make it out here:

This makes me wonder if in his desperation we'll see the Hollow side again or not? The blood is simply too far precise and similar to the markings we see on his mask to assume that we'll never see the mask or shirosaki again. I'm really hoping the next time we see Ichigo this will be resolved.
    i agree, The blood looks exactly like the last mask markings with the two uber cool vertical stripes. - and it looks like its forming directly on him rather than mask, but then in the upper corner of that page, there does seem to be some tendril of hollowness shown. so perhaps due to the fullbring training his bone mask will be more of a bone armor or something more like his fullbring. where his face can get transformed into something horrifying. Dammn I can hardly wait to see the next chapter, I hope we finally get back to ichigo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are definitely lines of what his hollow mask turned into. It seems he doesn't need to wear it, it just appears on his face. This'd be consistent with Zangetsu and Shirosaki merging into Ichi, and losing their individualities, after FGT, so the hollow power doesn't manifest outside of his body (ok, body of soul... sounds weird but it's still better than dead dead ).
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Grekaosangel's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 0Xellos View Post
    Those are definitely lines of what his hollow mask turned into. It seems he doesn't need to wear it, it just appears on his face. This'd be consistent with Zangetsu and Shirosaki merging into Ichi, and losing their individualities, after FGT, so the hollow power doesn't manifest outside of his body (ok, body of soul... sounds weird but it's still better than dead dead ).
    I'm still unsure on that theory. I think the blood in that particular shape is just to symbolize that in his desperation the Hollow side is growing stronger. Not necessarily that his Hollow Mask or form is about to be released. I seriously doubt after all the transformations and subtle changes, that his Hollow form and mask would suddenly become irrelevant and more like a Fullbring like Ginjos.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member NoOneInParticular's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still unsure on that theory. I think the blood in that particular shape is just to symbolize that in his desperation the Hollow side is growing stronger. Not necessarily that his Hollow Mask or form is about to be released. I seriously doubt after all the transformations and subtle changes, that his Hollow form and mask would suddenly become irrelevant and more like a Fullbring like Ginjos.
    Well, my reasoning is that Fullbring serves as a sort of 'link' between Ichigo's Hollow and Shinigami sides. As we know, Fullbring comes about when a human is tainted by Hollow power. Ichigo's mother may or may not have actually been attacked by one (who knows, it might be how Isshin met her in the first place), but I think Ichigo was only able to learn Fullbring because he already had Hollow power in him. The thing is, the special item that Ichigo used to manifest his Fullbring was his Shinigami Substitute badge. So his Fullbring came from using Hollow power in conjunction with some kind of residual Shinigami power.

We can see traces of his Fullbring (Hollow power) in his new Shinigami form, so I think the reverse is also true. His Hollow powers might be somewhat 'Shinigamified' - something like an Arrancar. Hollow power, but wrapped around his whole body, like his Fullbring was, rather than just a mask. It could certainly be more effective that way, remember how Gin dealt with Ichigo off panel by simply breaking off his mask?

But hopefully we'll see what's going on with Ichigo soon enough...

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Slovakia
    Post Thanks / Like

I say that's not blood, it's too clear for blood, those are patterns like those of his hollow mask. Reishi on his face, not blood.
    Erfworld

Quote Originally Posted by Bromamura View Post
    Meh can't have Bleach without fan raging, makes it fun.

New Reply