Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Tobi shouldn't be Obito

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Tobi shouldn't be Obito

Quote Originally Posted by TobiOrNotTobi View Post
    There's absolutely no point turning Tobi into someone new (including the usual suspect Kagami). Also just a clone of some sort is too simple and not really a "shocker".
    That'd destroy the whole point of Kishimoto hiding his identity for that long. 

It will be the biggest twist any manga has ever experienced once his mask gets blown off. And it will be a good one.
    Kishi hid "Deva Path" identity for some time, to the point people were speculating that he was really Minato. Hid Konan's too, and they both turnt out to be new characters.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    Kishi hid "Deva Path" identity for some time, to the point people were speculating that he was really Minato. Hid Konan's too, and they both turnt out to be new characters.
    Yes but by this time we've been exposed to all the major players left in the ninja world sans this man that "knows it all". There are very few unknown areas left, or people that could even accumulate the kind of power Tobi has that we don't know about.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

True, though there is still plenty unknowns that could be used, given how little we know about members of the Uchiha clan or people from Kirigakure, both places that Madara could have eventually recruited Tobi from. Not to mention nearly little is known about the lesser villages, and we already have several examples of S-rank ninjas developing and coming from those small villages. If Tobi is a new character, there could be a logical reason we hadn't heard of him before.

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

The lesser villages are irrelevant, the only strong ninja's to come from them were Kakazu, Hidan, Hanzou and the Ame Trio all of whom are dead.

As for them being a logical reason, I'm not sure what it would be. First of all, his knowledge of the Uchiha is far to great to be anyone other than an Uchiha, and he can control the Kyuubi, something exclusive the Uchiha clan.

IMO, the only person I could see him being other than an Uchiha is an Uzumaki because they are the only clan who is relevant that we don't know about. But there are so many reasons why Tobi can't and shouldn't be an Uzumaki that it sounds stupid to even suggest such a thing.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Revvo's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be most logical for tobi to use obitos eye for it's power, since he got a thing for stocking up on those anyways, but with the last lines he directed at kakashi it seems obito is in someway part of tobis personality. Since tobi seems to be a zobi like being composed of different Zetzu-(or maybe body- ) parts : http://www.mangareader.net/93-48084-...apter-486.html , i guess he dematerilized obitos body before it got crushed by stones and used it somehow, can't reall see why except for the eye but it will be an interessting thin to explain for the manga.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Why Tobi shouldn't be Obito

don't know if it has been said or not...but if tobi was obito...wouldn't he want his other eye back from kakashi?

wouldn't that just make sense...i can't imagine fighting kakashi is any harder than fighting torune and fuu.

"While many can pursue their dreams in solitude, other dreams are like great storms blowing hundreds, even thousands of dreams apart in their wake. Dreams breathe life into men and can cage them in suffering. Men live and die by their dreams. But long after they have been abandoned they still smolder deep in men's hearts. Some see nothing more than life and death. They are dead, for they have no dreams."

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    The lesser villages are irrelevant, the only strong ninja's to come from them were Kakazu, Hidan, Hanzou and the Ame Trio all of whom are dead.

As for them being a logical reason, I'm not sure what it would be. First of all, his knowledge of the Uchiha is far to great to be anyone other than an Uchiha, and he can control the Kyuubi, something exclusive the Uchiha clan.

IMO, the only person I could see him being other than an Uchiha is an Uzumaki because they are the only clan who is relevant that we don't know about. But there are so many reasons why Tobi can't and shouldn't be an Uzumaki that it sounds stupid to even suggest such a thing.
    My point was, that by using a lesser village, one can explain why there's this powerful ninja that no one heard of before.

And in all fairness, one wouldn't have to be from the Uchiha clan to be an Uchiha. Madara left 50+ years ago and unless he was solely focused on his future plan, he could have easily had a child during that time. Being said child would easily explain knowing so much about the Uchiha clan past, which would also be the case for someone working with him, and how he had the Sharingan. Of course, as I said, this is merely if Tobi is a new character.

Even if he's not an Uzumaki, it's likely there was some dealings with them, given that he had secret knowledge of their sealing technique that wouldn't have been around during Madara's reign.

Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

While that's true, what motivation would Madara's son have for all this? He'd want revenge, and Tobi isn't out for revenge, he's out for peace, the complete opposite. Madara wanted to rule everything, be the strongest there is. Tobi does not share those dreams.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

There's absolutely no point turning Tobi into someone new (including the usual suspect Kagami). Also just a clone of some sort is too simple and not really a "shocker".
    That'd destroy the whole point of Kishimoto hiding his identity for that long. 

It will be the biggest twist any manga has ever experienced once his mask gets blown off. And it will be a good one.
    We've seen plenty of Tobi's face already. Not his mouth but you can piece together a lot of his face from the times his mask has broken.
    So tell me, does that face strike you as similar, as the "biggest twist"? Kagami is one of the faces that resembles Tobi's.
    Maybe Kishi just f-ed things up by creating unnecessary hype for Tobi's face -- I mean really who could Tobi be that we would be so shocked like "Ooh it's HIM!"? Really I can't think of anyone.

The only other thing I've thought of is Tobi being the original/first Zetsu experiment and that he simply morphs into the forms of others - kinda like Orochimaru in that he appears in different vessels but still not precisely the same thing.
    Tobi has that goo-ey stuff, a wild guess is that he can do what Zetsu does - morph to look like others, like they've been doing in the war. Maybe he takes on people's personalities too - this could explain how he acted all childish before.
    This could fit with the "I am nobody" line - that he is a shapeshifter without an original identity. An experiment.

I definitely hope it's not some timetravel thing like Ooooh I'm Sasuke from the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi
    While that's true, what motivation would Madara's son have for all this? He'd want revenge, and Tobi isn't out for revenge, he's out for peace, the complete opposite. Madara wanted to rule everything, be the strongest there is. Tobi does not share those dreams.
    Madara has also spoken in favor of the Eternal Moon's Eye-plan, meaning the two seem to share pretty much the same goal
    Last edited by Notak; August 04, 2012 at 11:19 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member TobiOrNotTobi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Notak View Post
    We've seen plenty of Tobi's face already. Not his mouth but you can piece together a lot of his face from the times his mask has broken. 
    So tell me, does that face strike you as similar, as the "biggest twist"? Kagami is one of the faces that resembles Tobi's. 
    Maybe Kishi just f-ed things up by creating unnecessary hype for Tobi's face -- I mean really who could Tobi be that we would be so shocked like "Ooh it's HIM!"? Really I can't think of anyone.

The only other thing I've thought of is Tobi being the original/first Zetsu experiment and that he simply morphs into the forms of others - kinda like Orochimaru in that he appears in different vessels but still not precisely the same thing.
    Tobi has that goo-ey stuff, a wild guess is that he can do what Zetsu does - morph to look like others, like they've been doing in the war. Maybe he takes on people's personalities too - this could explain how he acted all childish before.
    This could fit with the "I am nobody" line - that he is a shapeshifter without an original identity. An experiment.
    Compare all the Uchiha faces that are known so far and compare them one to one to Tobis, guess what no one will say that they DON'T resemble his face by a bit at least, i wouldn't take that as a base to say who he may be or not be.

Yet i have to agree that he could be "something else", let's say a failed experiment of some sort. 

But him being someone unknown or some guy we've seen just one or two times? No, i'm sorry but that'd be bad writing IMO. 

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    The conversation between Madara and Kabuto suggest that the Moon-Eye Plan was originally Madara's plan. And as the Kages mentioned, Tobi's "peace" is merely world domination. Also, between his initial attack on Konoha and later assisting Itachi in the Uchiha Massacre, Tobi did seem to be acting after revenge.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Notak's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Compare all the Uchiha faces that are known so far and compare them one to one to Tobis, guess what no one will say that they DON'T resemble his face by a bit at least, i wouldn't take that as a base to say who he may be or not be.

Yet i have to agree that he could be "something else", let's say a failed experiment of some sort. 

But him being someone unknown or some guy we've seen just one or two times? No, i'm sorry but that'd be bad writing IMO. 

I don't think all the Uchiha faces resemble Tobi's face, but yeah, there are a select few that do look similar like Izuna, Kagami, and Obito. Or Shisui.
    Funny thing is, on another forum a guy actually counted the strands of hair on Tobi and Kagami's heads, and found out they were the exact same number - not to mention the same colour as we know.
    Anyway, his face is only one of many reasons why I am connecting Kagami with Tobi.

And about Tobi being an experiment, it is an interesting thought, but for an experiment he sure knows a lot about Konoha. I guess it's possible.

About the bad writing part.. I honestly can't see why Tobi has to be someone we're very familiar with. I actually think it's more logical that it will be revealed when he takes his mask off, instead of it just being someone we already know about.

This reminds me of the Zelda games, with a villain that makes you think he is the real bad guy until you find out he's actually trying to bring back someone even more dangerous who is also his boss.
    Madara being Ganon and Tobi being Ghirahim/Vaati/Agahnim if you're familiar with the plot of some Zelda games.

Although...it might be Aizen.

But really, you could always read this theory on Kagami being Tobi and see what you think
    Last edited by Notak; August 05, 2012 at 10:47 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Adv2011's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    If the Masked Man is indeed Obito, then I hope it's more deep than that. Personally what I'd like to see is that the Masked Man is a Zetsu-esque mass of plant matter fused to Obito's corpse. Basically, a Madara parasite infesting his dead body, with access to his memories.
    that should be it but it must be a hell of a story to be told why obito has followed madaras ideas or plans but also why madara did died. and now madara is back it could be more perfect because he is in his perfect form and can't be killed
    Tobi: no power surpasses my eternal mangeyko sharingan!
    Itachi: Kabuto, to think that you surpassed orochimaru is amazing on it’s own, yet i believe you still have much to learn, especially about who you are deal(?) “dealing?” with

Failll ^^

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member R3D's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

the right side of tobi's face looks and old/wrinkly/ eye bags whereas obitos face was crushed and even if obitos face somehow got healed , he shouldnt look old cuz he is kakashi's age or at least there should be some scars on the face but there is none

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member TobiOrNotTobi's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Notak View Post
    About the bad writing part.. I honestly can't see why Tobi has to be someone we're very familiar with. I actually think it's more logical that it will be revealed when he takes his mask off, instead of it just being someone we already know about. 

This reminds me of the Zelda games, with a villain that makes you think he is the real bad guy until you find out he's actually trying to bring back someone even more dangerous who is also his boss. 
    Madara being Ganon and Tobi being Ghirahim/Vaati/Agahnim if you're familiar with the plot of some Zelda games.

But really, you could always read this theory on Kagami being Tobi and see what you think

I'm aware of that Zelda reference but that'd apply in my eyes only to Pein and Tobi not Madara really. Pein = the boss before the actuall real boss = Tobi (Ganon/Ganandorf). 

Why i said it would be bad writing is the fact that in the manga itself many times questions have been asked regarding Tobis persona. 

It's not like Pein showed up and the manga itself stated that he could be Minato, us the readers of naruto came up with that. 

There was no reason for Kishimoto to make Pein/Nagato much of a secret as he was always a let's say a "random/new" guy right from the start. 

I'm glad we get to see his face in the next few chapters. Kinda sad but it had to come.

New Reply
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast