Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Olympics - General Discussion

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The Olympics - General Discussion

It's almost here. Next friday the worlds eyes will be on London as the sporting event of the year begins. Full schedule and results here.

This thread is dedicated to general discussion of the Olympics. Will you be following the Olympics? What events are you most looking forward to, what are you expecting from your team, how concerned are you on the arrangements and security problems in London, which country will catch the most medals? All that and much more here.

Also, don't hesitate to take part in Mangahelpers' contest either.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member thsv's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Olympics - General Discussion

Torch relay finished yesterday. This is how close i got.

Spoiler show

4. Like 4 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member joshua019's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Olympics Contest 2012 Discussion Thread

great to live in london! too bad I only got a ticket for a couple of events, volleyball and taekwondo.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Young athletes to light the olympic torch ... what a joke. It's the biggest honor for a sportman & they give that to kids. What a letdown.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I missed the opening - I heard it was pretty great. I'll have to watch it on the net. So what teams/ person is everyone rooting for?

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I missed the opening - I heard it was pretty great. I'll have to watch it on the net. So what teams/ person is everyone rooting for?
    I think pretty much everyone is rooting for his own country . We got our first medal the first day (Judo). So, at Belgian level, I'm already very happy. We won't get many medals. Most belgians are hoping for a good performance from the Borlee family in athletism & from Kim Clijsters in tennis.

The opening had some great stuff: The queen & James Bond, M. Ali being present, Song from children with an handicap, overall good atmosphere & last but not least (and everyone is talking almost only about that on internet) Rowan Atkinson.
    Too bad, the ending was anti-climatic with those young athletes.

For other countries, I'm rooting for Andy Murray & hoping for a showdown from Jamaica in Athletism (Blake vs Bolt)
    Last edited by zelllogan; July 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zelllogan View Post
    I think pretty much everyone is rooting for his own country . We got our first medal the first day (Judo). So, at Belgian level, I'm already very happy. We won't get many medals. Most belgians are hoping for a good performance from the Borlee family in athletism & from Kim Clijsters in tennis.

The opening had some great stuff: The queen & James Bond, M. Ali being present, Song from children with an handicap, overall good atmosphere & last but not least (and everyone is talking almost only about that on internet) Rowan Atkinson.
    Too bad, the ending was anti-climatic with those young athletes.

For other countries, I'm rooting for Andy Murray & hoping for a showdown from Jamaica in Athletism (Blake vs Bolt)
    /

Just caught a bit of that on the tv after work. Blake vs Bolt will be an interesting match watch indeed.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

mark cavendish wat a let down, after all the built up around him

Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joshua019 View Post
    mark cavendish wat a let down, after all the built up around him
    UK, you really don't know anything about that sport.
    I was watching the bbc & the news concerning B.Wiggins. "Greatest sportman" "what a runner" ... when the guy bought his victory: LOL. All people in other countries are talking about how chris froome should have won this "tour de france".

About cavendish, same thing. You're talking about a letdown when he did what he had to do: staying with his teammates and hoping for a sprint. There was no sprint, so he couldn't do anything ... It's hard to control the event when you only have 5 runners (+ Bernard Eisel from austria ...). Cavendish didn't win because he was too strong & other countries didn't want a sprint. Belgium & US attacked all day long for example.

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Young athletes to light the olympic torch ... what a joke. It's the biggest honor for a sportman & they give that to kids. What a letdown.
    You miss the point. Leaving a legacy for future generations was the point of these games from day 1. Hence why future potential greats were given the honour.

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Working Common Domain in Basketball Arena; sadly it is right outside the arena; BUT some really cute female russian basketball players were taking pics outside my bar! so hot!

16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    Working Common Domain in Basketball Arena; sadly it is right outside the arena; BUT some really cute female russian basketball players were taking pics outside my bar! so hot!
    Have to admit the quality of female tourists has been far higher this last week. Especially in the Victoria Park area.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Macedonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Female tourists and female athletes as well?

I have to admit that the opening ceremony is Beijing was by far better, this one had it's fair share of interesting stuff, though of course the previous one was screaming EPIC! That is the feeling that was missing here I think. Plus in China the opening ceremony really had a more "sports feel".

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how france became a big swimming country, well I guess it's more glorious than fencing and speed cyclism...

Do you guys watch more sport when it's the olympic or just the same as usual ?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

UK, you really don't know anything about that sport.
    I was watching the bbc & the news concerning B.Wiggins. "Greatest sportman" "what a runner" ... when the guy bought his victory: LOL. All people in other countries are talking about how chris froome should have won this "tour de france".

About cavendish, same thing. You're talking about a letdown when he did what he had to do: staying with his teammates and hoping for a sprint. There was no sprint, so he couldn't do anything ... It's hard to control the event when you only have 5 runners (+ Bernard Eisel from austria ...). Cavendish didn't win because he was too strong & other countries didn't want a sprint. Belgium & US attacked all day long for example.
    thats the problem the whole team stayed in the peloton whilst there was someone leading by a kilometer a county away from the finish line

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast