Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kurapika and Sasuke

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member mrsticky005's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurapika and Sasuke

note NOT a vs thread. This is for comparative purposes

Since we are in Yorknew and the comparisons WILL be made I thought it would be good to make a separate thread for them so that the main anime thread doesn't get over run with this topic. Particularly what I like to ask is that Kurapika and Sasuke are similar characters.
    But yet Kurapika feels like a better character. At first I thought it was because Kurapika
    is less of jerk...but I dunno if that really fits the bill. After all if the same stuff that happened to Sasuke happened to Kurapika how do we know he wouldn't act the same?
    Still what do you think it is about Kurapika that makes him better written than Sasuke?
    Or if you prefer Sasuke why do you think Sasuke is better written?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member SHINOBI-03's Avatar
    Country
    Dubai
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kurapika and Sasuke

- Sasuke is a cheap fusion between Kurapika and Killua.
    - Sasuke is a bigger jerk than Kurapika. Kurapika may get his revenge over his head, but he's not above abandoning his friends and leave them to danger. Sasuke backstapped everyone who helped him when they turned out useless to him.
    - Kurapika's abilities may seem broken, but they are used under strict conditions. Sasuke gets deus ex machina power-ups every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    After all if the same stuff that happened to Sasuke happened to Kurapika how do we know he wouldn't act the same?
    No it's not. Sasuke's clan was murdered by orders from the higher ups and done by his brother. Kurapika's clan was murdered by a gang of thieves who had no relationship to him.

3. Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHINOBI-03 View Post
    - Sasuke is a cheap fusion between Kurapika and Killua.
    - Sasuke is a bigger jerk than Kurapika. Kurapika may get his revenge over his head, but he's not above abandoning his friends and leave them to danger. Sasuke backstapped everyone who helped him when they turned out useless to him.
    - Kurapika's abilities may seem broken, but they are used under strict conditions. Sasuke gets deus ex machina power-ups every now and then.

No it's not. Sasuke's clan was murdered by orders from the higher ups and done by his brother. Kurapika's clan was murdered by a gang of thieves who had no relationship to him.

I agree he is. But what makes him cheap? I mean you think a fusion of those two characters would be great.

True Sasuke is a bigger jerk.

Hm I think that mgiht be it.

I think you misread what I wrote. I said IF the same stuff happened.

For instance Sasuke is a jerk because...well Itachi basically taught him to be. Kurapika hasn't had such an influence. At least as far as I know.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

At first I thought they were exactly the same, honestly. Over the time I realized how wrong I was.

I think what happened to Kurapika is worst. Only for one factor: In a world of ninjas it's expected of such things to happen. And even them were preparing for a civil war. Instead, Kuruta Clan never saw it coming. They were haunted due her eyes which were only cool to see. It's more cruel and more close to reality so it becomes therefore more creepy.

Sasuke is a cool character, but his revenge consumed him completely. In the other hand, we see first a light side of Kurapika and then his darker side.

Sasuke wants to find the truth after defeating everyone. Kurapika looks hell mad after getting all the eyes around the globe.

Sasuke is smart, but acts stupid most of times. Kurapika is smart and acts smarter.

Sasuke has a fireball. That's awesome.

Kurapika has chains...That's actually not THAT awesome but it's not uncool either.

Sasuke is always about "goota get my revenge" and Kurapika seems to know a wider vocabulary.

It's all about Sasuke. For Kurapika, only an arc completely dedicated to him.

And well, there is more but I'm kinda lazy now.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

6. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    At first I thought they were exactly the same, honestly. Over the time I realized how wrong I was.

I think what happened to Kurapika is worst. Only for one factor: In a world of ninjas it's expected of such things to happen. And even them were preparing for a civil war. Instead, Kuruta Clan never saw it coming. They were haunted due her eyes which were only cool to see. It's more cruel and more close to reality so it becomes therefore more creepy.

Sasuke is a cool character, but his revenge consumed him completely. In the other hand, we see first a light side of Kurapika and then his darker side.

Sasuke wants to find the truth after defeating everyone. Kurapika looks hell mad after getting all the eyes around the globe.

Sasuke is smart, but acts stupid most of times. Kurapika is smart and acts smarter.

Kurapika has chains...That's actually not THAT awesome but it's not uncool either.

Sasuke is always about "goota get my revenge" and Kurapika seems to know a wider vocabulary.

Some rather good points.

I think it might be this in a nutshell

Sasuke while not the most likable character can be an interesting character if only Kishimoto wasn't so obsessed about him and the Uchiha clan.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only read/watched up to the timeskip in Naruto. I heard Sasuke got worse (correct me if I'm wrong)?

In any case, I think Kurapika is a better written character. Sasuke is overrated. Sure, Kurapika has his moments where I'm like "WTF dude, why can't you at least visit Gon in the hospital!". But, he's also accountable for his actions. He's smart, he's skilled, his analytical abilities are the best out of the four main characters. And he's not really brooding, but just cold and detached. He has reasons for not wanting to involve his comrades, which I think are plausible reasons. And shows he cares about them. And maybe he doesn't want to contact Leorio again because he's afraid that they will get involved in his business again, and doesn't want to get them hurt. I mean, we all know how stubborn Gon is.

Sasuke doesn't seem to care, and he never seemed to integrate into the group. He doesn't give a shit about Naruto, Kakashi, or Sakura.

I think Kurapika has the better written story, up to the Naruto timeskip. Things may have changed afterwards, but that's all I can comment on for now.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

-Kurapika would never betray his friends.
    -Kurapika is sometimes arrogant but he is humble and knows when is wrong.
    -Kurapika always thinks rationally when he fights.
    -Kurapika is an intellectual.
    -Kurapika is too stubborn.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Cinnabar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been waiting for a thread like this. Although I'm wondering if I should steer clear from this since I haven't read Naruto. Oh well, it'd be a long while before I actually get around to reading it anyway. If I ever do. Er... anyway.

So... could this be biased 'cause it's in the HxH forum, or is Kurapika just undeniably that better-written? From what I'm getting here, Sasuke is like an attempt at a Killua/Kurapika fusion gone wrong that went off the antihero/emo end. I think my overall impression of them is this: "Sasuke's awesome, but Kurapika's on a whole 'nother level, see."

And from what I'm getting here, Naruto suddenly revolved around Sasuke's issues for a while. Which I find odd considering how Sasuke shouldn't have existed until Kishimoto's editor asked for a Naruto rival.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member riniloves's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Sassuke is a second rate trying hard copycat of Kurapika...
    anyway cant blame Kishi since its the EDITORS idea....
    I have a hunch this is the SAME EDITOR the reason why Togashi didnt want to have EDITORS lurking around HIS STUFF...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riniloves View Post
    Sassuke is a second rate trying hard copycat of Kurapika...
    anyway cant blame Kishi since its the EDITORS idea....
    I have a hunch this is the SAME EDITOR the reason why Togashi didnt want to have EDITORS lurking around HIS STUFF...
    true but then Kishi has said interviews before how the sauce is his favorite

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tame's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrsticky005 View Post
    true but then Kishi has said interviews before how the sauce is his favorite
    He's also said that Choji and Bee are currently his favourites, so I guess it changes.

The one difference that separates Sasuke and Kurapika, which has been said before, is that when it came down to it, Kurapika put his revenge on hold so that he could save his friends. Sasuke on the other turned on his friends and, rather than feel regret, he laughed in Naruto's face about it. What a dick-pull.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member bambinarubata's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurapika is intelligent... - Sasuke is not smart....

Kurapika loves his friends... - Sasuke no...

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post

I agree with you

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Riruru's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I think about it more, it's true that they're pretty similar. I did stop watching Naruto a little after Shippuden though. So, excuse me if some of my analysis is wrong and something's changed drastically since then.

There are a few differences:

- Kurapika in my opinion has better friends. I like how, even though Gon, Killua, and Leorio know the boy's going through a lot of crap, they all trust him enough to be able to handle himself and do his own thing. Despite that, whenever they see him, they're all just happy that he's well and alive. This also gives Kurapika a lot more freedom. Naruto and the others have been nothing short of spoiled. As soon as Sasuke's values don't fit their own in the slightest, they throw a huge whining party over it. It was interesting at first but it's been going on way too long.

- We know that neither Sasuke nor Kurapika at this point are playing heroes, but HxH has just been handling Kurapika's silent rage much more realistically than Naruto has. Sasuke's betrayal was out of nowhere. No one can argue against how it felt he turned into an OOC douche cuz he flippin' wanted to. Kurapika's was much more gradual and, while he does what he wants to as well, it's nice to know he's still the same character from before. It's not like "oh look, Sasuke's a jerk now", but "oh look, Kurapika wants revenge, and now he doesn't want to involve his friends because he's still Kurapika after all, and now-OH SH....poor jerky Kurapika".

- Everything else I'm prety sure has been mentioned already.

You can tell I love Naruto, can't you?

17. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm wondering what are the criteria for better written or better character concerning this topic?

Because as far as I'm concerned the only thing that connects the characters is the revenge theme and red eyes

19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly after looking at what happens to the people in Sasuke's clan when you turn them loose it's more of a surprise why their clan hasn't been wiped out earlier. If they're in the HXH world, they'd be considered less mentally stable than the Spiders or the Ants. At least Spiders care about each other, and Meryem is somewhat willing to negotiate with humans. Can't really say any of that about Sasuke's people.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast